HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Dallas to be dangerous in the playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2004, 12:11 PM
-MrBean-

vCash: 500
Dallas to be dangerous in the playoffs

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ace/index.html

Last edited by Sotnos: 03-13-2004 at 10:15 PM. Reason: please give a link and only quote a paragraph or two from an online article, thanks
Old
03-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

I'm not sure whether I should put much stock into this article when it lists the Flames, Bruins and Bolts as favorite's above the Sens, Leafs, Wings and Avs. And while I think the Stars can be a serious dangerous team in the playoffs, they were putrid in the first half and are quite possible the worst road team in the entire NHL. If they start winning like they do at home, I could even see the Stars as the favorite's coming out of the West. Bur right now, they would barely make my top 5, first is definitely pushing it altough I do see the reasoning behind it.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:17 PM
HuskyFlames

I agree with the above BUT Turco has not been the bets goalie, Kipper has for Calgary.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames
I agree with the above BUT Turco has not been the bets goalie, Kipper has for Calgary.
What a joke, Kipper hasn't even played half the amount of games Turco has and isn't nearly as good. Let him play 60 and we'll see how his pretty 1.68 GAA has been affected by then. Nabokov, Aebischer or even Vokoun have been better than Kiprussof.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
What a joke, Kipper hasn't even played half the amount of games Turco has and isn't nearly as good. Let him play 60 and we'll see how his pretty 1.68 GAA has been affected by then. Nabokov, Aebischer or even Vokoun have been better than Kiprussof.
Not Vokoun.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas_Bert_Morr
Not Vokoun.
He carried the Preds during the entire first half of the season, he got them into the top 8 where they still are till today. Sure he has slowed down there after but he's still been their MVP if you ask me.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:24 PM
-MrBean-

Quote:
I'm not sure whether I should put much stock into this article when it lists the Flames, Bruins and Bolts as favorite's above the Sens, Leafs, Wings and Avs. And while I think the Stars can be a serious dangerous team in the playoffs, they were putrid in the first half and are quite possible the worst road team in the entire NHL. If they start winning like they do at home, I could even see the Stars as the favorite's coming out of the West. Bur right now, they would barely make my top 5, first is definitely pushing it altough I do see the reasoning behind it.
re-read it. It's not an article about ranking or predictions. It's an article about teams that definately shouldn't be overlooked.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:
He carried the Preds during the entire first half of the season, he got them into the top 8 where they still are till today. Sure he has slowed down there after but he's still been their MVP if you ask me.

Kiprusoff - He carried the Flames during the entire hot stretch of the season, he got them into the top 6 where they still are till today. Sure he is still playing good there after and he's still their MVP is you ask me.

(plus better stats).

Old
03-12-2004, 12:29 PM
nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MrBean-
re-read it. It's not an article about ranking or predictions. It's an article about teams that definately shouldn't be overlooked.
Really strange article then...why would anyone overlook the Wings, Devs, or Avs?

Old
03-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
Really strange article then...why would anyone overlook the Wings, Devs, or Avs?
They're both wrong. It's 10 teams to WATCH, meaning they will be fun and interesting to see in their run.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Kiprusoff - He carried the Flames during the entire hot stretch of the season, he got them into the top 6 where they still are till today. Sure he is still playing good there after and he's still their MVP is you ask me.

(plus better stats).
Bull. Vokoun has played between 55 and 60 games. He had supurb stats in his first 30 games, considering the difference in eachothers defense, maybe even better stats. He has carried them for the entire season, whereas Kiprussof has done so for only the half of that, making himself half as important in a season.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:50 PM
-MrBean-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
In the playoffs, who ever really overlooks the Wings, Devs, and Avs?

basically with the Stars craptastic style of playing for most of the season, they would be easy for a team to overlook.

Old
03-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:
Bull. Vokoun has played between 55 and 60 games. He had supurb stats in his first 30 games, considering the difference in eachothers defense, maybe even better stats. He has carried them for the entire season, whereas Kiprussof has done so for only the half of that, making himself half as important in a season.
Numbers don't lie. You simply can't say Vokoun is better when Kiprusoff has better #'s, no matter how many Games played.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:10 PM
sidelines

vCash:
Quote:
Numbers don't lie. You simply can't say Vokoun is better when Kiprusoff has better #'s, no matter how many Games played.
Ok, so you're saying that if a goalie played 3 game in a season and had a 2.05 GAA, he'd be better than a goalie that played 60 games and had a 2.10 GAA? Right?

Old
03-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Famous Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname_brand
Ok, so you're saying that if a goalie played 3 game in a season and had a 2.05 GAA, he'd be better than a goalie that played 60 games and had a 2.10 GAA? Right?
Yeah. By that logic, Schwab, Markanen and Nittymaka (sp?) are the favorites for the Vezina.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Then explain to me why Turco didn't win the Vezina last season? Judging by your standards he should have won it by a 100 mile difference.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:11 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Then explain to me why Turco didn't win the Vezina last season? Judging by your standards he should have won it by a 100 mile difference.
Turco is a great goalie but IMO Kiprusoff has been better. I'm not saying he'll win the Vezina but he has been just as good if not better than any goalie in the league this year. I don't care how many games he played. He's shown that if he were to start the season in Calgary, they'd be sitting pretty right now.

3 games (Schwab, Nittymaki etc..) is not enough to gauge, 29 games is IMO. He got injured and missed 19 games and when he came back, he picked up right where he left off. I am sure he won't have enough games to get serious consideration for the awards but if he was to have played the full season, there is not a doubt in my mind that he would take home the Vezina and the Hart.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
3 games (Schwab, Nittymaki etc..) is not enough to gauge, 29 games is IMO. He got injured and missed 19 games and when he came back, he picked up right where he left off. I am sure he won't have enough games to get serious consideration for the awards but if he was to have played the full season, there is not a doubt in my mind that he would take home the Vezina and the Hart.
And there's not a doubt in my mind he would still have that fancy GAA of his if he had played the full season.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:39 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
And there's not a doubt in my mind he would still have that fancy GAA of his if he had played the full season.
Glad to see we agree. I think he would still have that "fancy" GAA as well.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Glad to see we agree. I think he would still have that "fancy" GAA as well.
Heh, you got me. I meant "didn't"..

Nice catch though..

Old
03-12-2004, 02:40 PM
HellsBells

Quote:

I had to read it a few times.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:43 PM
-MrBean-

Quote:
nevermind, you caught it.
Wahoo, semantics. You knew what he meant.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:46 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MrBean-
Wahoo, semantics. You knew what he meant.
Yeah, I did know what he meant. There is nothing wrong with pointing out something he said that he didn't mean to say. I just thought it was funny....geez.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:03 PM
-MrBean-

Quote:
Yeah, I did know what he meant. There is nothing wrong with pointing out something he said that he didn't mean to say. I just thought it was funny....geez.

If you read the enitre thread..... it kinda is

Old
03-12-2004, 06:59 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Where the hell did this "Vokoun has been great this year" myth start? The guy has one of the worst goals against in the league, currently sitting *31st* in the league. He's sitting *27th* in save percentage. The guy has worse stats than Chris Osgood, and no one's trumpeting Chris as having a great year.

The reason Nashville has improved and will likely make the playoffs is that they're *scoring way more* than last year. Last year, they were practically worst in the league, this year they're 13th overall. They've already scored more goals this year than in all of last year.

Closed Thread