HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gainey is done according to a few reports

Old
03-03-2009, 10:15 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I'm lead to believe that he is done
So do i

At this point i don't see who Bob could get without going over the cap. For a big deal to happen salary would have to go the other way and i don't think it's going to happen since most of our big $$$ players are UFAs (Tanguay , Kovalev , Koivu) and thus have low value. The only guy i think we could trade for cap space is Hammer since Markov is pretty much untouchable (and rightfully so) unless a team drastically overpays for him. Even then and despite his poor play as of late , i don't think trading Hamrlik would be a good thing at this point unless the return is Jay-Bo or Kaberle.

If Bob does something it will be a trade involving Dandy , Cube or Laraque for picks or something like that.

But then again...........expect the unexpected !!!!!!!!

131313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:18 AM
marchabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
What would you do differently?
would you do the same?

first, I would negotiate with my people all year along.

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:21 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
would you do the same?

That's assuming you will bring everyone back.

I'm pretty sure Kovalev would be extra pissed if Komisarek, Koivu and Tanguay were negotiating new contracts and he was not.

waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
would you do the same?

Maybe Gainey has negotiated with some of our RFA's and UFA's during the year and has deals in place but they are waiting for after the season to announce things.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:27 AM
marchabsfan

Quote:
That's assuming you will bring everyone back.

I'm pretty sure Kovalev would be extra pissed if Komisarek, Koivu and Tanguay were negotiating new contracts and he was not.
hum no, never said I wanted to talk to everybody

Old
03-03-2009, 10:33 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
It's a sticky situation when you start to negotiate with some people and not others.

waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
yeah, gainey is done. his "5 year plan" will go nowhere as we will lose again early and lose many players this summer. so yes, he is essentially done in mtl.
Yeaaah... I'm sure Gillette must be seriously pissed at the work Gainey has done in 5 years. From a team that could barely make the playoff to one of the most promising in the East. What a failure!

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
and how do you supposed those of which you choose not to re-sign during the year will feel/react?

I don't know what's the big issue with all the UFA's the Habs have...if any of them have season's worthy of being re-signed, they will. If they don't, they walk.

Did Andrei Markov walk when Gainey didn't negotiate with him during the season a few years ago?

If Gainey hasn't dealt with the contracts of, Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Lang, Kostopoulos, Komisarek, Brisebois, Dandenault, Bouillon and now Schneider...it's probably because he's not entirely sure which of those he does want back. Looking at that list, aside from Komisarek, is there a guy on there that we HAVE to re-sign right now?

I know Pierre McGuire is spreading fear amongst Habs fans every morning on talk radio regurgitating the same non-sense about the Habs pending UFA's, but I don't think the concern is that big personally.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:40 AM
marchabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
and how do you supposed those of which you choose not to re-sign during the year will feel/react?

I don't know what's the big issue with all the UFA's the Habs have...if any of them have season's worthy of being re-signed, they will. If they don't, they walk.

Did Andrei Markov walk when Gainey didn't negotiate with him during the season a few years ago?

If Gainey hasn't dealt with the contracts of, Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Lang, Kostopoulos, Komisarek, Brisebois, Dandenault, Bouillon and now Schneider...it's probably because he's not entirely sure which of those he does want back. Looking at that list, aside from Komisarek, is there a guy on there that we HAVE to re-sign right now?

I know Pierre McGuire is spreading fear amongst Habs fans every morning on talk radio regurgitating the same non-sense about the Habs pending UFA's, but I don't think the concern is that big personally.

now come on guys, trying to lock up komi before some others is usual gm stuff

Old
03-03-2009, 10:41 AM
marchabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Yeaaah... I'm sure Gillette must be seriously pissed at the work Gainey has done in 5 years. From a team that could barely make the playoff to one of the most promising in the East. What a failure!
we'll see next year (my point being with all the ufa's coming, the supposed "prime" for gaineys plan was last year or this year)

Old
03-03-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
yes, but when you have so many, locking up one and ignoring the rest can send the wrong message.

I don't think this situation with the UFA's is just a coincidence and that Gainey realized this a few weeks ago, there's a reason why he decided to head into the year with so many UFA's...

Old
03-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Many sources have reported over the season that Komi agent and Gainey have an "understanding" over is UFA status. The same thing is probably true with regards to Koivu.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
we'll see next year (my point being with all the ufa's coming, the supposed "prime" for gaineys plan was last year or this year)
Aside from Komisarek...who in the Habs pending UFA's would be in Gainey's plans for next year anyways?

Brisebois? Hell no
Bouillon? no
Dandenault? no
Lang? no
Kostopoulos? maybe, but he's cheap
Tanguay? maybe, depends how he finishes the year
Kovalev? maybe
Koivu? maybe
Schneider? probably not
Komisarek? yes

Old
03-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Iwishihadacup

he's really dumb if he don't re-sign Koivu

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:48 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Aside from Komisarek...who in the Habs pending UFA's would be in Gainey's plans for next year anyways?

Brisebois? Hell no
Bouillon? no
Dandenault? no
Lang? no
Kovalev? maybe
Koivu? maybe
Schneider? probably not
Komisarek? yes
So you also see the possibility of our pivot core looking like Pleks-Laps-Metro-Chip-Maxwell? To me that's really concerning.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:49 AM
!nkubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Koivu will finish his carrer here, but needs to be our 3rd center and not our 1st.

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by !nkubus View Post
Koivu will finish here, but needs to be our 3RD center and not our 1st.
the notion of center number is dumb anyway

Carbo is becoming great at using Saku

Old
03-03-2009, 10:50 AM
marchabsfan

Quote:
for what price, thats the question. if you say any, now thats dumb

Old
03-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
for what price, thats the question. if you say any, now thats dumb
the Price Gainey will negociate him

Old
03-03-2009, 10:53 AM
marchabsfan

Quote:
the Price Gainey will negociate him
ok so it's 5 mil. thats fine with you? I get it that everything gainey does you agree, because 1: hes gainey 2: he's the gm.

Old
03-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Brisebois? Hell no
Bouillon? no
Dandenault? no
Lang? no
Kovalev? maybe
Koivu? maybe
Schneider? probably not
Komisarek? yes
I'd take Lang and Schneider in a heartbeat if the price is reasonable(5 mil combined) and Lang is fully recovered.

Komisarek even though he has struggled is still a guy I don;t want to lose, neither is Koivu, though he may have to take a pay cut(12 mil over 3 front loaded).

Kovy I think Gainey wants back(though I don't know all the back room stuff) as long as the price is reasonable(4-4.5 for 1 or 8 mil for 2).

As for Tanguay...I'd rather take a run at the Sedins, Cammalleri, Hossa, Bouwmeester before giving him anything more than 4 mil. He has a lot to prove to me.

Kostopoulos is a no brainer, as long as he isn't looking for more than 1.2-1.3 per year on a 2-3 year deal.

Bouillon, I prefer O'byrne and Schneider.

Brisebois...maybe another year at #7.

Old
03-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by !nkubus View Post
Koivu will finish his carrer here, but needs to be our 3rd center and not our 1st.
If we can't add a true #1 guy, we can still be strong up the middle by having strength in numbers with Lang/Koivu/Pleks then Lapierre and Metro.

Old
03-03-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visorwearinghockey View Post
So you also see the possibility of our pivot core looking like Pleks-Laps-Metro-Chip-Maxwell? To me that's really concerning.
Yes...which is why I posted earlier that between now and the draft, Gainey will have to really evaluate his center situation for next year and beyond (not that he hasn't already).

To me, ideally, this is the situation you want heading into camp next year (just using #'s besides the centers for arguments sake)

Center 1 - ????
Center 2 - Plekanec or Koivu
Center 3 - Lapierre
Center 4 - Metropolit and/or Chipchura

Gainey HAS to address the "???"...I don't want to head into another season with Plekanec and Koivu as our offensive centers, Koivu's skills are diminishing every year and I don't think he has what it takes to play the 3rd center role, it's asking too much of him at this point, it's either Plekanec or Koivu for the "2nd center" role. IMO, I'd rather go with Plekanec backing up a more physically dominant center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'd take Lang and Schneider in a heartbeat if the price is reasonable(5 mil combined) and Lang is fully recovered.

Komisarek even though he has struggled is still a guy I don;t want to lose, neither is Koivu, though he may have to take a pay cut(12 mil over 3 front loaded).

Kovy I think Gainey wants back(though I don't know all the back room stuff) as long as the price is reasonable(4-4.5 for 1 or 8 mil for 2).

As for Tanguay...I'd rather take a run at the Sedins, Cammalleri, Hossa, Bouwmeester before giving him anything more than 4 mil. He has a lot to prove to me.

Kostopoulos is a no brainer, as long as he isn't looking for more than 1.2-1.3 per year on a 2-3 year deal.

Bouillon, I prefer O'byrne and Schneider.

Brisebois...maybe another year at #7.
For me personally, the only guy who at this point today is a no-brainer (depending on $$$ of course) is Mike Komisarek and Tom Kostopoulos

Everyone else on that list could potentially walk - although I do expect one of Koivu/Kovalev/Tanguay/Lang to be re-signed, not all of them, just one of them.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-03-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old
03-03-2009, 11:10 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
Quote:
would you do the same?

If they did that then most of our team would be in for a big shock, Komi would be offfered alot less based on his play right now. Lets say he is offered 3m a year for 3 years pretty sure he would say no and ask to be traded and we would not get full value for him. This is just an example of why not to negotiate during the season. There are exceptions but of the players on the team right now, who could not replaced by a ufa this summer? Kovalev has 40 something points and is replacable, Markov is locked in, Koivu should be moving towards retirement, Tanguay could be resigned here a little cheaper, Lang is hurt so not real sure. Komisarek is the only one who would be hard to replace and we will see at the end of the year.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
I hope he signs a lifetime contract forever and retires Koivu's jersey just to spite you.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote