HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stralman Heating Up

Old
03-02-2009, 08:20 AM
markh100

vCash: 500
I think I finally need to start checking out some Marlie's games these days. Tlusty's 14 goals and 14 assists for 28 points in his last 14 games is pretty incredible. Stralman's weekend was exceptional. I hope the Marlies keep winning, because I'd like to see these two go on an extended playoff run. I have no idea how the AHL playoff structure goes, but it looks like they're in a tight battle, currently sitting tied for 7th in the conference.

markh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:06 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh100 View Post
I think I finally need to start checking out some Marlie's games these days. Tlusty's 14 goals and 14 assists for 28 points in his last 14 games is pretty incredible. Stralman's weekend was exceptional. I hope the Marlies keep winning, because I'd like to see these two go on an extended playoff run. I have no idea how the AHL playoff structure goes, but it looks like they're in a tight battle, currently sitting tied for 7th in the conference.

I'm amazed with the amount of personnel movement they've had that they seem to keep clicking.

Wish I could see a few games. Another guy who jumped out at me is Oreskovic. Guy is a +20!!!

eyeball11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
Or he is finally starting to see that he isn't good enough for the NHL yet, and is actually trying in the AHL which is giving him confidence.
Everybody can dream.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Leaf Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
I'm amazed with the amount of personnel movement they've had that they seem to keep clicking.

Wish I could see a few games. Another guy who jumped out at me is Oreskovic. Guy is a +20!!!
I'm curious if Oreskovic will get a shot in the NHL in the next couple of years. He is a big, mean, physical defenseman which is a Burke type player.

I've heard his skating is weak? Can someone comment on him?

Leaf Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 11:57 AM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Fever View Post
I'm curious if Oreskovic will get a shot in the NHL in the next couple of years. He is a big, mean, physical defenseman which is a Burke type player.

If I recall, Mess said his skating was weak but MooseOak said it wasn't.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:32 PM
grind your soul
Belak forever

Send a message via ICQ to grind your soul Send a message via MSN to grind your soul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
If I recall, Mess said his skating was weak but MooseOak said it wasn't.
Two words: Brendan Witt.

Big, mean, stay-at-home, physical, tough, but isn't very mobile. Once he gets going he's not too bad but he can and will be beaten by the faster duders. To me, his lack of mobility/first step power and his occasional brainfarts [going waaaay out of position for the sake of a hit, questionable penalty taking of the obstruction variety] is what's holding him back from the NHL. If he catches up, though - watch out! He's almost got the build/attitude of an enforcer but has a lot more actual defensive ability than your typical goon.

On-topic: Awesome to see Stralman racking up points. How is his defensive game looking?

I, too, think Kulemin needs a few weeks on the Marlies. The one game I saw of him down there this year, he owned the ice. Absolutely awesome confidence-building game, lets him show himself that he can dominate the North American style. He had about four hits in that one game alone, and was just an offensive marvel, and defensively responsible as well. It's something we should consider. Let him rule the roost down there, and then call him up once he realizes just how awesome he is. Whoever said they would send him down for play-offs, that's a great idea, too.

grind your soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:58 PM
TheProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Fever View Post

His skating might be described as average for the AHL. It would be weak in the NHL. His defensive positioning and stickwork might somewhat make up for it. What surprised me after watching him this weekend was his underrated shot.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by grind your soul View Post
Two words: Brendan Witt.

Big, mean, stay-at-home, physical, tough, but isn't very mobile. Once he gets going he's not too bad but he can and will be beaten by the faster duders. To me, his lack of mobility/first step power and his occasional brainfarts [going waaaay out of position for the sake of a hit, questionable penalty taking of the obstruction variety] is what's holding him back from the NHL. If he catches up, though - watch out! He's almost got the build/attitude of an enforcer but has a lot more actual defensive ability than your typical goon.

On-topic: Awesome to see Stralman racking up points. How is his defensive game looking?

I, too, think Kulemin needs a few weeks on the Marlies. The one game I saw of him down there this year, he owned the ice. Absolutely awesome confidence-building game, lets him show himself that he can dominate the North American style. He had about four hits in that one game alone, and was just an offensive marvel, and defensively responsible as well. It's something we should consider. Let him rule the roost down there, and then call him up once he realizes just how awesome he is. Whoever said they would send him down for play-offs, that's a great idea, too.
Yeah I would like to get some young roster players/salary dumps back so Kulemin can go down and dominate like Tlusty and Stralman. If we pick up a nice propsect or 2 playing in the AHL, Marlies may be able to do some damage in the playoffs, especially if Pogge feels like he has something to prove.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Canad93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
lol. Not even close
Oh, sorry Jesus.

Way to be a dreamkiller

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:28 PM
MarryMarner

Kulemin-Tlusty-Stapleton
Williams-Boyce-Battaglia
Aubin-Foster-Hamilton
Deveaux-Ondrus-Rogers

Stralman-Oreskovic
Sifers-Ryan
Perry-Petiot

Pogge

Not a bad AHL to go deep in the Calder playoffs.

MarryMarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffleafsfan91 View Post
Kulemin-Tlusty-Stapleton
Williams-Boyce-Battaglia
Aubin-Foster-Hamilton
Deveaux-Ondrus-Rogers

Stralman-Oreskovic
Sifers-Ryan
Perry-Schenn

Pogge

Not a bad AHL to go deep in the Calder playoffs.
Fixed.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Fixed.
Doesnt Schenn need to play a game before playoffs to be allowed in, or is it a different rule for guys his age?

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 04:33 PM
BleedsBlue4Life

Where's Newbury at?

BleedsBlue4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 04:39 PM
facey

schenn has commitments to the rockets before the marlies... however the rockets are set for a DEEEEPPPP playoff run....

thought... whl <<<ahl<< nhl...

and schenn takes over top pairing on either the rockets or marlies, no way he is 5-6...

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:32 PM
TheProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by facey View Post
schenn has commitments to the rockets before the marlies... however the rockets are set for a DEEEEPPPP playoff run....

and schenn takes over top pairing on either the rockets or marlies, no way he is 5-6...
Even if it were legal, there is nothing magical about playoff games in the WHL or AHL. The crowds on the best day won't be anywhere near that of even Atlanta of a Tuesday night.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Good to see Stralman playing well down there. He doesn't belong in the NHL yet.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by facey View Post

I had him in the 5-6 spots because it was easier that way. I'm quite aware that Schenn would not be a 5/6 on the Marlies, thanks.

Old
03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
grind your soul
Belak forever

Send a message via ICQ to grind your soul Send a message via MSN to grind your soul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_W_W View Post
Yeah I would like to get some young roster players/salary dumps back so Kulemin can go down and dominate like Tlusty and Stralman. If we pick up a nice propsect or 2 playing in the AHL, Marlies may be able to do some damage in the playoffs, especially if Pogge feels like he has something to prove.
And he damn sure should feel like he needs to prove something.

grind your soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProspector View Post
Even if it were legal, there is nothing magical about playoff games in the WHL or AHL. The crowds on the best day won't be anywhere near that of even Atlanta of a Tuesday night.
What does the crowds have to do with anything?

Old
03-02-2009, 06:51 PM
facey

playoff pressure.

game intensity

he is adapting to higher pressure high intensity games... against bigger & faster players...

playing against worst IMO won't help him a ton

however, WHC would be a great challenge for him, but not as good as NHL playoffs

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by grind your soul View Post
And he damn sure should feel like he needs to prove something.
Yeah I don't know Pogge just stikes me as a guy with a boatload of talent but takes to many games/shifts off. He needs to show some intensity and focus, no more amazing save followed by an easy goal.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:23 PM
eyeball11

Stralman with another goal and an assist tonight.

eyeball11 is online now   Reply With Quote