HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Daniel Briere to Buffalo

Old
03-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Shady McCoy
#NoHonorForConnor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
lol Briere and a 1st for a 4th rounder...that must be that buffalo logic that keeps Vanek over Briere, Drury, Connolly and a **** load of 1st rounders....
you're forgeting they want a 3rd too

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Shady McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:32 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

This requires Quigier to admit they screwed up going after Drury instead of Briere, and that they low-balled him with that 5/25 offer a week before FA. Which is not going to happen.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:34 PM
sabres_phan

vCash: 672
Quote:
lol Briere and a 1st for a 4th rounder...that must be that buffalo logic that keeps Vanek over Briere, Drury, Connolly and a **** load of 1st rounders....
Right, because that was the choice.

Vanek 7m/per

OR

Briere 6.5m/per, Drury 7m/per, Connolly 3.5m/per and a **** load of 1st rounders

Those two options obviously yield the exact same cap hit.

sabres_phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xV Carter 17 Xv View Post
Who is your avatar this week?

Really random.
It's always Kristen Bell, so it's not that random.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabres_phan View Post
Oh, my bad. How did they make room?
Waived our depth players. We now have a roster of only 20 players. Not very ideal.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
that's not even remotely accurate.

Funny how both Philly and NY somewhat regret their overpayments now... meanwhile we are plenty happy with Vanek.

Briere is on his 2nd major long term groin injury... enjoy the next 6 years of that cap hit.

Drury has not lived up to the billing in NY either.

Buffalo made the right decision on Briere, and Drury chose NY over Buffalo.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Selanne00008

That contract for Briere is ridiculous. Compared to what Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Ovie signed for. Briere isn't even close talent wise.

Also, even if we dump Tima nd max to get Briere what the hell do the Sabres do next year when Poms and Millers massive extensive price is equated in? We could only afford Briere until the end of this year.

Ridiculous

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Shady McCoy
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
That contract for Briere is ridiculous. Compared to what Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Ovie signed for. Briere isn't even close talent wise.

Also, even if we dump Tima nd max to get Briere what the hell do the Sabres do next year when Poms and Millers massive extensive price is equated in? We could only afford Briere until the end of this year.

Ridiculous

They were not free agents, all three would make at least $1.5-$2M more then Briere in the open market

Shady McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Clock

vCash: 50
I'd be scared to take Briere back with his injuries as of late. He's no Wade Redden, but I'd much rather see Buffalo get a bigger, grittier center with a better defensive upside. Philly's overpaying him, true, but that's only because their center depth is so insane that he's a third liner at this point. That's a good problem to have.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
That contract for Briere is ridiculous.
Its really not. The cap hit for a PPG player is reasonable. The length is too much, but that cap hit is not.

Do I think Buffalo should take on that contract? No, I do not. Its not a fit for Buffalo, and not how they operate. If they wanted Briere, they would have signed him before free agency instead of letting him walk.

But $6.5M for a team that is looking for a PPG player is simply not ridiculous. Slightly overpaid maybe, but certainly not ridiculous.

The NMC clause makes any Briere trade talk moot, not his contract. There are certainly teams who would take his production at his cap hit, despite the length of term.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:01 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Please no.....we have too many soft players on our team already....we need to add grit and Briere does not fit that.

Pass, no matter what the deal is.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:05 PM
JesusBouillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
No, he's really not.

He's overpaid as a 3rd line center on the Flyers. Big difference.
Yes he really is. Really.

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Its really not. The cap hit for a PPG player is reasonable. The length is too much, but that cap hit is not.

Do I think Buffalo should take on that contract? No, I do not. Its not a fit for Buffalo, and not how they operate. If they wanted Briere, they would have signed him before free agency instead of letting him walk.

But $6.5M for a team that is looking for a PPG player is simply not ridiculous. Slightly overpaid maybe, but certainly not ridiculous.

The NMC clause makes any Briere trade talk moot, not his contract. There are certainly teams who would take his production at his cap hit, despite the length of term.
cap hit numbers mean very little to a small market team like Buffalo.

he makes 8 million next year, and 7 million the following 3 years. just because there are two retardo years attached to the end doesn;t make him a "6.5 million dollar" guy.... he's an 8 million dollar injury prone center this year and next year, then he's a 7 million dollar OLDER injury prone center the following 3 years.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hamels View Post
They were not free agents, all three would make at least $1.5-$2M more then Briere in the open market
Good point. I guess loooking at it from the Sabres GM perspective it is still ridiculous. It's not in our itnerest what so ever to get tied up in that long term contract. Especially for Briere who is now officially injury prone and small. Roy has tepped in just fine.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:12 PM
warriorspikes51*

Hecht for Briere.

warriorspikes51* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:14 PM
warriorspikes51*

Quote:
Vanek >> Briere and Drury.

Old
03-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
Yes he really is. Really.
Just what do you think the going rate is for a PPG player, who also leads in playoff scoring since the lockout? His cap his is pretty much where it should be. I'd like it better if it was an even $6M, but its certainly reasonable as it stands now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
cap hit numbers mean very little to a small market team like Buffalo.
Which is why I said in my post that Buffalo wouldn't, and shouldn't do it. Its not a fit for Buffalo, but there are certainly teams who would consider taking on Briere despite his length of term. PPG players don't grow on trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
he makes 8 million next year, and 7 million the following 3 years. just because there are two retardo years attached to the end doesn;t make him a "6.5 million dollar" guy.... he's an 8 million dollar injury prone center this year and next year, then he's a 7 million dollar OLDER injury prone center the following 3 years.
Yes, in actual salary, which matters to a team like Buffalo. I said as much in my earlier post, so I guess you've decided to just argue semantics?

Any team who can afford his salary (and there are certainly teams that can) and his cap hit, and who are in need of a PPG player, will still find value despite the length of term.

The "issues" with his contract is overblown hogwash. It wouldn't work for alot of teams (such as Buffalo), but the real reason he isn't tradeable (nor are the Flyers trying to trade him, despite bogus reports) is because of his NMC. Quite frankly, if the Flyers didn't need his money for other areas (defense), you wouldn't even see these silly Briere to whoever rumors because no Philly fans would want to see him moved.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 01:28 PM
warriorspikes51*

If Briere is moved it will be to make room for an elite D-man like Bouwmeester or Pronger. Philly has done quite well without Briere. They may feel that trading him now could help them down the road.

Old
03-02-2009, 02:44 PM
wyldthing89

If Briere is trade, it will be only for draft picks or young prospect, they need space if they want to make another trade.

They prove themself that they do well without Briere and looking to bring a defensman and maybe use what they get for Briere to trade it to either Toronto, Anaheim or Florida, a kind of 3 way deals.

What hurts the Flyers is the ridiculous contract Briere have sign, he played only 10 games this year, his value is dropping because of that.

I'm a Buffalo fan and if they want Briere back, they will trade a guy like Hecht, Mac , a young defense prospect or picks. But i will be very surprise if Regier bring him back, his salary is a big issue, we will have to re-sign couples of players and with salary cap going down next year i don't want to have too much 7 millions guys in my club.

wyldthing89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:00 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Flyers arent going to move Briere for nothing. They either keep him, or make a decent deal.

briere for Gaustad and Enroth

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:04 PM
The Real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
that's not even remotely accurate.

Funny how both Philly and NY somewhat regret their overpayments now... meanwhile we are plenty happy with Vanek.

Briere is on his 2nd major long term groin injury... enjoy the next 6 years of that cap hit.

Drury has not lived up to the billing in NY either.

Buffalo made the right decision on Briere, and Drury chose NY over Buffalo.

DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner.

The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:09 PM
warriorspikes51*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Flyers arent going to move Briere for nothing. They either keep him, or make a decent deal.

briere for Gaustad and Enroth

Old
03-02-2009, 03:18 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
ok, briere is a top line center and is paid as such. my only qualm with it is the length and the NMC (which makes this thread moot). briere is NOT just a salary dump and is not being traded with multiple picks for a 4th round draft pick. he's still a talented player and a team in need of a top-line center or secondary scoring will pay for his services.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:31 PM
EndlessNameless9319

Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319
Hecht, 3rd, Mancari, for Briere, Giroux.

EndlessNameless9319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:40 PM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real View Post
That is grossly overpaid. Pass.
This is getting old.

Overpayed for the Flyers?...yes.
Overpayed for any number of teams that want a PPG center?...no.

TOP LINE CENTERS GET TOP LINE CENTER MONEY! Where the hell has everyone been for the entire existence of the NHL?

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote