HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Daniel Briere to Buffalo

Old
03-02-2009, 03:41 PM
blah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
cap hit numbers mean very little to a small market team like Buffalo.

he makes 8 million next year, and 7 million the following 3 years. just because there are two retardo years attached to the end doesn;t make him a "6.5 million dollar" guy....
We should all agree with this and end discussion. Briere to Buffalo is a no go from Buffalo's side.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:42 PM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real View Post
DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner.
Briere and Drury aren't in the same catagory...

One gets paid $6.5m and produces. The other gets paid over $7m and doesn't.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Briere and Drury aren't in the same catagory...

One gets paid $6.5m and produces. The other gets paid over $7m and doesn't.
incorrect. when will people learn the difference between cap hit and salary. IT'S BEEN 3 SEASONS, FIGURE IT OUT.

they both make 8 million this year, and one of them has been injured most of the year.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:51 PM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
The contact he signed means he's unmovable...plain and simple.

If Phily wants to trade Danny then they will need to fork up a ton along with him.

Danny, 1st, 2nd and 3rd in various drafts for only a small return. What you really want is the contract gone, so pay for the contract. In other words, Danny being traded is new gonna happen. Maybe your management shouldn't give out 8 years 52 million desperation deals on
July 1st!

krt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 04:09 PM
bennysflyers16

Danny was pretty damn good in the playoffs last year, will be this year to. Buffalo will not trade for Danny as they need alot more help to even make the playoffs.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 04:10 PM
sabres_phan

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt88 View Post
The contact he signed means he's unmovable...plain and simple.

If Phily wants to trade Danny then they will need to fork up a ton along with him.

Danny, 1st, 2nd and 3rd in various drafts for only a small return. What you really want is the contract gone, so pay for the contract. In other words, Danny being traded is new gonna happen. Maybe your management shouldn't give out 8 years 52 million desperation deals on
July 1st!

sabres_phan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 04:23 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hamels View Post
I'm sick of people thinking that Briere has no value. He's a PPG player and is the highest scoring player in the playoffs since the lockout.
he also completely disappears when games get physical, or teams tighten up defensively. see 06-07, 07-08 ECF.

liquid swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:27 PM
captainpaxil

start with enroth then keep adding. hes a ppg player and gets paid accordingly. if you dont want him back fine well keep him.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid swords View Post
he also completely disappears when games get physical, or teams tighten up defensively. see 06-07, 07-08 ECF.
And now has spent large amounts of time on IR with Groin and Abdominal injuries, including surgery. Those aren't exactly good injuries to have if there is one.... Such as, maybe a broken jaw from someone who makes about the same

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:39 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
You people who think this would happen are just looking at a player, not the player AND CONTRACT.

Its a crappy contract for almost every team in the league. There is NO WAY he's moving to Buffalo.

NO

WAY

enrothorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Luceni

To PHI: Hecht, Afinogenov;

To BUF: Briere, 4th rounder

I would do it!

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
To PHI: Hecht, Afinogenov;

To BUF: Briere, 4th rounder

I would do it!
If you were who Philly? Thats a steal for them to rid them of that filthy contract.

I am assuming you are a philly fan. How would Buffalo expect to sign ANy of there RFA's this summer with that contract, + Poms, + Miller. No way Buffalo Ever ever ever everrrrrrrrr tocuhes Briere

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 07:37 PM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
If you were who Philly? Thats a steal for them to rid them of that filthy contract.

I am assuming you are a philly fan. How would Buffalo expect to sign ANy of there RFA's this summer with that contract, + Poms, + Miller. No way Buffalo Ever ever ever everrrrrrrrr tocuhes Briere
I'm really sick of idiots saying Briere's contract is bad. It's very close to the right price for a PPG center. If it doesn't suit your team then fine say that. There's no need to call a contract filthy especially one like Briere's.

This place keeps pushing the value of contracts unrealistically low because everyone wants a "bargain". Soon the bargain is the norm according to HF

Old
03-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Mike Richards 18

let me say where each side is coming from so everyone can finally understand.

From Philly side
Briere is a ppg player and can take over in playoffs. last season he had trouble with chemistry and this season hes battled an injury. Gagne did the same with last season and this season so there is no reason not to think that if this injury is behind him we will be back to form. hes a solid producer and his contract at 6.5 for a ppg player is a decent contract it just doesnt fit in the cap with philly and we ve performed without him so some would like to move him and get what hes worth or a little less in return and put cap space in other areas of need.

From other Teams side
Other teams take it as a salary dump because if we did move Briere it would be to create cap space but not a dump. so other teams think they should get paid this big bonus for doing us a favor and taking the contract off our hands. these teams just dont want to take on that contract without getting a huge return with him and not give anything in return.

Obviously im a Flyers fan and i will go with the thread and use Buffalo as the trade proposal here is what i think is close to fair value.

Philly gets
Gaustad
another piece

Buffalo gets
Briere
d prospect
mid pick

I see that as a starter and kind of a middle ground both teams will want more so it must be close. Philly will want Enroth b/c we need a goalie prospect. Buffalo will want more b/c they think they are doing us a favor of taking that contract of philly s hands.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 07:55 PM
mja
Negative Creep

I'm perfectly fine keeping Briere.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:20 PM
wyldthing89

Buffalo will try to get Olie Jokinnen or Bouwmeester before Briere. Spacek will turn UFA and they will need a good offensive defensmen, they will never afford 7-8 millions per years for another 4 years for a player who will turn 37-38 at the end of his contract, not a lot of teams will guess on him i think, they will spend this huge amount on another player.

Philly made a dumb move and they will be stock with him until they put him on waivers or re-entry waivers to hope another team will take him.

wyldthing89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:22 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
For Buffalo to get Briere:

#1. Philly would have to take a bad contract in return. One that is out over the next couple of seasons. Looking at Buffalo's lineup, they have 2 of what I would deem "bad contracts", Jochen Hecht and Jason Pomniville.
#2. Philly would have to add a good young player to get even close to fair value. If Buffalo adds Briere, they are going to need affordable players to fill out their roster.

Pomniville doesn't work in this case. Buffalo will be thin on RW after this season and Pomniville is 26. Also, cap wise it only saves Philly 1.5 million. Combine that with the fact Briere and Poms had good chemistry in Buffalo, it just doesn't work IMHO. Hecht, on the other hand, might. Hecht has a cap hit of 3.525, giving philly a roughly 3 million in cap savings. As far as a good young player goes, I don't think Philly is probably going to be giving up Giroux or VanRiemsdyk. Nodl, however, might be a good fit.

So,

To Buffalo:Briere, Nodl, 3rd round pick
To Philly: Hecht, Ennis, 2nd round pick

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Mike Richards 18

i think i could live with this but i think philly would like to add to get Enroth.

Old
03-02-2009, 09:04 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Wed probably ask for Enroth and either Gaustad or Hecht.

Buff doesnt need Enroth with Miller signed long term. We'll give you one of the goalies we drafted last year.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:11 PM
warriorspikes51*

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid swords View Post
Dude scored the OT winner in game 6 against the canes...he played well that series. 07-08...not quite as much.

warriorspikes51* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
jayintro86

The Sabres already have enough small forwards

Roy
Gerbe
Kennedy
Tyler Ennis- who is already compared to Briere

Not to mention Briere's contract is outrageous

I would rather take a risk on Connolly at 3-4M than Briere and his recent injury history at whatever he is being paid

In my opinion Briere will be bought out(by the end of his contract) or maybe go to Montreal to replace some of their UFAs

jayintro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:17 PM
canuckulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Where the hell has everyone been for the entire existence of the NHL?
Well, the league was formed in 1917. I'm gonna have to venture a guess and say no one on this board has been around for the entire existence of the NHL.

canuckulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:47 PM
twenty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckulous View Post
Well, the league was formed in 1917. I'm gonna have to venture a guess and say no one on this board has been around for the entire existence of the NHL.
********! Who do you think is all over Crosby? I can promise you it's not teenage girls.

Old
03-02-2009, 09:50 PM
emb24*

that means what for buffalo....? vanek and briere making 15 mill between them while the cap goes down to maybe 45 mill?

seems a bit scary from buffalo's pov to have 1/3 of team salary tied up in those two

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Mike Richards 18

they could have signed Vanek cheaper if they didnt drag their feet with offering a contract.