HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Daniel Briere to Buffalo

Old
03-02-2009, 09:55 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
that means what for buffalo....? vanek and briere making 15 mill between them while the cap goes down to maybe 45 mill?

seems a bit scary from buffalo's pov to have 1/3 of team salary tied up in those two
13.6 mil. But still.

I think there is a max the cap can drop in a year anyway

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Luceni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post
they could have signed Vanek cheaper if they didnt drag their feet with offering a contract.
That's probably right. I'm sure that Vanek would have agreed to a 4.0-5.0 million contract too. But they tried too keep Briere and Drury and then Vanek got the offer sheet. It was a bad timing.

I'd like a

Hecht, Afinogenov, 4th rounder

for

Briere, Nodl

deal.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 07:47 AM
warriorspikes51*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
That's probably right. I'm sure that Vanek would have agreed to a 4.0-5.0 million contract too. But they tried too keep Briere and Drury and then Vanek got the offer sheet. It was a bad timing.

I'd like a

for

Briere, Nodl

deal.

Good luck convincing Philly to take our garbage. Not to mention that if Philly gave us Briere back...chances are we would get very hot and if we faced them in the Playoffs at some point they would regret it. If Briere is moved I would think it would be out west.

warriorspikes51* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:15 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post

I'd like a

for

Briere, Nodl

deal.
umm, the flyers are actually taking ON salary in this deal...

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:17 AM
warriorspikes51*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
umm, the flyers are actually taking ON salary in this deal...
Hecht makes 4 mil.
Afinogenov is a UFA making around 3.5?

warriorspikes51* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:24 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorspikes51 View Post
Hecht makes 4 mil.
Afinogenov is a UFA making around 3.5?
7.5>6.5...

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
they could have signed Vanek cheaper if they didnt drag their feet with offering a contract.
Not true, per Vanek's agent. He did his homework and had interest prior to the end of that season. He had no reason to tell his client to sign anything when he knew he had more than one team interested in putting up an offersheet. The players they were slow to act on where Briere the previous summer (they could not come to terms on length... DB was interested in security and 5 years, Buffalo stood on 3 years and things fell apart) and Drury early during the season (his camp not getting back to Regier or Regier not getting back to his camp, depending on the story source). Vanek leveraged his situation and the Sabres had none.

03-03-2009, 08:55 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
i think i could live with this but i think philly would like to add to get Enroth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Wed probably ask for Enroth and either Gaustad or Hecht.

Buff doesnt need Enroth with Miller signed long term. We'll give you one of the goalies we drafted last year.
Buffalo needs a 3rd goalie. They were down to 1 healthy goalie in the entire org last week when Lalime got sick. I would love to have Briere back, but to give up Enroth before Buffalo has some of their other goalie prospects signed to pro contracts just isn't going to happen

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:33 AM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Not true, per Vanek's agent. He did his homework and had interest prior to the end of that season. He had no reason to tell his client to sign anything when he knew he had more than one team interested in putting up an offersheet. The players they were slow to act on where Briere the previous summer (they could not come to terms on length... DB was interested in security and 5 years, Buffalo stood on 3 years and things fell apart) and Drury early during the season (his camp not getting back to Regier or Regier not getting back to his camp, depending on the story source). Vanek leveraged his situation and the Sabres had none.
vanek's agent was fishing around the league for an offersheet. i'm surprised the sabres never filed any sort of tampering charges, or grievances against him, since he pretty much came out and said he did so.

but yeah, if anyone thinks the sabres could have locked up vanek to some sort of value deal if only they acted sooner, you're wrong.

liquid swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:39 AM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi777 View Post
We'd be doing Philly a huge favor and would need to get some incentive for helping them out. I don't think Briere would be enough. Maybe Briere for Max. I don't I want him back anyhow.
Hang on, explain this huge favour for me. He's on a good wage and all, but he's a damn good player. It's not like you're taking on Hatcher and Rathje here. People forget that Briere has more play-off points than anyone else post-lockout.

Briere's contract does not make him have negative value.

1865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid swords View Post
vanek's agent was fishing around the league for an offersheet. i'm surprised the sabres never filed any sort of tampering charges, or grievances against him, since he pretty much came out and said he did so.

but yeah, if anyone thinks the sabres could have locked up vanek to some sort of value deal if only they acted sooner, you're wrong.
There isn't really a tampering charge to be had -- I went down that road and his agent has the ability to converse with teams. The team can not solicite him, but he can them is how it goes.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Paradigm

Last night, I had a dream that I met Briere and Biron before they played a game for... the Sabres. This obviously means that a trade is in the works. (E3)

I also had a dream that I was on Top Chef, so take that as you will.

Paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote