HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers down to 6 D Men again

Old
03-02-2009, 02:25 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Agree with you on the assessment of the Reitz, he's really physical which is great but other than that... ehhh. I have a feeling the Rangers won't qualify him this summer considering how many RFAs they have. I would assume that the Rangers would let him go as well as Kalinin, and probably make an effort to retain Mara.
I'd qualify him, he'd still have a super low salary and for a 7th D, he'd be perfect (decent, cheap, and a team player).

I too hope Mara returns, at a reasonable salary.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 02:56 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Agree with you on the assessment of the Reitz, he's really physical which is great but other than that... ehhh. I have a feeling the Rangers won't qualify him this summer considering how many RFAs they have. I would assume that the Rangers would let him go as well as Kalinin, and probably make an effort to retain Mara.
He is physical. He likes to step up and make a big hit. I'm not sure that his judgement is always that good when he does. He seems weak positionally and not confident witht the puck under pressure. Last years 7th dman was Strudwick who I wasn't a big fan of either--more or less because of his footspeed which didn't allow him to make too many hits but he was usually decent keeping his position. Strudwick was also legitimately tough--Reitz's two fights so far did not leave a good impression--seems to be some balance problems. The other thing with Reitz is when he does plays he's not been getting a lot of ice time and he doesn't seem to be part of the pk. To me those are signals he's borderline.

Truthfully I see no reason to sign him with the likes of Potter, Sauer, Del Zotto and Sanguinetti in the pipeline. At least one and possibly two of them should be ready for the NHL next year.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:00 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Speaking of the D... I found this comment on TSN's ranks very interesting.

Quote:
1-1-1 under John Tortorella, the Rangers are showing a better defensive side, allowing just 70 shots in those three games (even though the opposition wasn't the best). It is possible that the Blueshirts are going to stop their slide enough to hold onto a playoff spot, but it would help to have a scoring upgrade.
http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?ID=549

It has nothing to do with defense, but offense. The Rangers have dominated offensively and that is the sole reason for the decrease in shots against. And this whole time Renney was the defensive wizard... This is exactly what i was talking about for 6 ******* months.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:22 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
i know im in the minority here, but i still see glimmers of game with tri kalinin. hes played well of late and does skate very well. im sorry, but all the talk of reitz > kalinin i find comical.

i would think tri is still a servicable 3rd pair guy unless we have something better and until that guy steps up, id keep him around.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:31 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Speaking of the D... I found this comment on TSN's ranks very interesting.

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?ID=549

It has nothing to do with defense, but offense. The Rangers have dominated offensively and that is the sole reason for the decrease in shots against. And this whole time Renney was the defensive wizard... This is exactly what i was talking about for 6 ******* months.
exactly.

renneys system did nothing but assure that we would never score more than 2 goals a game. we played nofense. no offense and no defense. renney had it right early on but something happened and he abandoned that for his nofense.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Vitto79

Sanguinetti and Sauer would look good on next years D.

I would like to keep Sauer but i do think he will get alot of interest at the deadline

Potter may be the guy who gets moved and plays right away for another team

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:41 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
i know im in the minority here, but i still see glimmers of game with tri kalinin. hes played well of late and does skate very well. im sorry, but all the talk of reitz > kalinin i find comical.

i would think tri is still a servicable 3rd pair guy unless we have something better and until that guy steps up, id keep him around.
I don't think Kalinin is that bad, it's just that $2.1 million is a lot for a 3rd pairing d-man. Mara will probably get a raise if he returns as well. I think the Rangers are hoping that Sangs, DZ, or Sauer pans out for next year. If they want a cheap 6-7 d-man, the Rangers should consider Montador for next season, who makes under a million now.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 03:59 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Sanguinetti and Sauer would look good on next years D.

I would like to keep Sauer but i do think he will get alot of interest at the deadline

Potter may be the guy who gets moved and plays right away for another team
think rangers will be able to move rozi? i think that'll be the only way rangers can fit sangs on the roster

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote