Notices

Havelid to The Devils: Now What???

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Magnus Fulgur

vCash: 500
Havelid to The Devils: Now What???

First, I'll miss Havelid and he's done great work for the team and the community. Chances are high he'll be back...but we have a lot of good young guys and we could draft Hedman.

As for Anssi Salmela, he's being playing okay since coming to North America and could project into being a decent defenseman, so well done, Trader Don.

But, now what? Oystrick is sick and sent home from practice today.

Who plays with Enstrom?

Where do we go from here?

Last edited by Magnus Fulgur: 03-02-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old
03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Your guys thoughts on Havelid's play this season and what can we Devs fans expect?
He probably won't be asked to play a ton of minutes in NJ, how was he used in Atlanta? On the PP, PK? thanks in advance

Old
03-02-2009, 04:34 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsOwnYou View Post
Your guys thoughts on Havelid's play this season and what can we Devs fans expect?
He probably won't be asked to play a ton of minutes in NJ, how was he used in Atlanta? On the PP, PK? thanks in advance
ive always liked havelid. defenseviely, hes been our best defenseman all year long without a doubt. you guys are gonna like having him. i'm starting to get scared of what NJ is gonna do in the playoffs now.

question for you: what can you tell us about salmela?

Old
03-02-2009, 04:43 PM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsOwnYou View Post
He's been the Thrasher's best defenseman for four seasons. He's not physical, but is always in the right place. He's currently one of the league's top shot blockers, because he's always between his man and the net. He rarely gets beaten.

Don't expect him to score though. That's not his game. He's just a smooth-skating defensive defenseman. He can log big minutes if need be.

Old
03-02-2009, 04:45 PM
rwhite

Salmela is in his first season in North America. He started the year up in New Jersey but with a healthy roster he simply just isn't in our top 6, or 7. He's an offensive defenseman with an excellent shot from the point. His defensive game is lacking a bit but I believe he can, and will, get better. He's a good skating defenseman with good offensive instincts. With a little bit of seasoning I think he could turn into a good NHL defenseman.

He should be a good fit in Atlanta. Best of luck, guys.

Old
03-02-2009, 04:46 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

who the hell is this dude. this kid is 26-27 years old correct?

I havent even heard of him and hockeys future had him listed as the Devils 18th best prospect.

so does Oytrict come up? How bout Kulda?

Old
03-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Whaddagoal

Man, this team will definitely miss Havelid for the last stretch of games. Bummer to see it happen, but I really wonder what are the chances that Nick will sign back with ATL once this seasons done with?

What do we do now? What do we do in the summer if he doesn't come back? ......

Can Anssi Salmela step right in? Enstrom is now our #1??? Hmmm.....

____

Devils fans:

Havelid was great for us, was our #1 guy here, probably a #2/3 on a deeper team.

He's a defensive defenseman, blocks a lot of shots, is sound positionally, used on the PK..... used against top lines......pretty good with his stick work. I can't see him being anything but good news for your team.

Old
03-02-2009, 04:49 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
who the hell is this dude. this kid is 26-27 years old correct?

I havent even heard of him and hockeys future had him listed as the Devils 18th best prospect.

so does Oytrict come up? How bout Kulda?
i thought i read on the trade board that he is 24 years old, cant remember for sure though. Time to look it up!

EDIT: yup, 24 BIRTHDATE: Aug 13, 1984 (AGE 24)

Old
03-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion856 View Post
ive always liked havelid. defenseviely, hes been our best defenseman all year long without a doubt. you guys are gonna like having him. i'm starting to get scared of what NJ is gonna do in the playoffs now.

Salmela has a cannon of a shot from the point and has an offensive skillset for sure.
He made a good impression with us fans in the short stint he had up here in NJ this season.
He racked up quite a few points on the AHL at Lowell this season (24 points in 38 games).

I think he needs some work in the defensive end but he has the skating ability and size to become a complete defenseman in my opinion. His potential is very high.

This was his first season in North America, he is 24 and came from Finland this Fall.

Old
03-02-2009, 04:50 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Quote:
i thought i read on the trade board that he is 24 years old, cant remember for sure though. Time to look it up!
im almost positive i read he was born in 82

wow now i read he was born in 84

i thinkhf has his wrong age

Last edited by John Cena*: 03-02-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old
03-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Okay....more defensive guy on the left of the list...

Hainsey Enstrom
Exelby Bogosian
Valabik Salmela

This is going to be ugly. We're going to need Hedman!

Old
03-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Holly Gunning

His profile is right here. Born in 1984.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/anssi_salmela

Has talent analysis and everything.

Old
03-02-2009, 04:56 PM
blankspace6

Quote:
im almost positive i read he was born in 82
Anssi Salmela (born August 13, 1984) is a Finnish professional ice hockey defenceman with the Atlanta Thrashers of the National Hockey League.

Apparently not positive enough.

Old
03-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Not a very good trade. Havelid could have brought back more than a minor leaguer.

Old
03-02-2009, 05:08 PM
hitt

vCash: 495
Send a message via ICQ to hitt
Damn... Salmela is an interesting player, but no matter how much I like him doesn't really help the Atlanta defense now. That D looks weak...

Old
03-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitt View Post
Damn... Salmela is an interesting player, but no matter how much I like him doesn't really help the Atlanta defense now. That D looks weak...
That's what I'm thinking too. The D is really unbalanced.

Old
03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Why on earth do we keep adding defenseman, especially ones who don't seem familiar with the concept of covering people in their own end?

First we get one for Williams, and now we get one for Havelid.

I don't get it.

Havelid was a solid defenseman for us, hopefully the Devils make a long run with him in the lineup.

Old
03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:

IMO, Salmela has a bright future. A lot of the negative comments you'll read on our board are from people who do not understand the development timeline of a NHL defenseman. Salmela is only 24 years old. So he makes the dumb, young, rookie defensemen mistakes that you'd expect. He also plays a bit risky, which isnt tolerated on the Devils (EVER).
But he skates very well and can rush the puck nicely. He has a CANNON of a shot that I think can hit triple digits that he always gets on net. He also is remarkably accurate on one-timers. He should develop into an asset on the powerplay. Think about it, Salmela was a NHL rookie with ZERO games experience, yet Coach Sutter put him on the 1st powerplay squad? That says volumes.
Keep in mind, the Devils scouts found this guy undrafted, and this was his first season playing in an adjusting to a North American rink, which takes longer for a Dman to adjust to than a forward. Net/net, he's a promising offensive defenseman that needs to work on his defense to improve and succeed at the NHL level. He's also a RFA, so hopefully he'll sign with NJ after the season.

Old
03-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
To describe Salmela:

Offensively he's a dream. He's got a cannon of a shot he can release really quickly, he skates well, and he's got good offensive instincts and is willing to pinch and take chances. His passing is average, though.

Defensively he's a nightmare. His good offensive instincts come at the price of anything remotely resembling a defensive instinct. He loses his man going for keeps on the blueline, his risk-taking Sutter described as causing him to prematurely age, and his physical play comes at the cost of positioning.

As I said in the Trade Rumors thread, if Larry Robinson, Scott Stevens, and Jacques Laperriere couldn't get this guy to play defense, nobody will.

He's got most of the physical pieces needed to be a solid PP quarterback, but his brain is hardwired on "aggressive."

Old
03-02-2009, 05:27 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

will Salmela play this year?

Old
03-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Ah...
In the Blueland Blog, they explain that he played for the team owned by Pasi http://thrashers.portspaces.com/blueland so, I'm sure DW had a recommendation for the kid. He was also teammates with prospect Lucenius (sp?).

In the Blog, they also point out that Salmela takes 2 shots per game like Hainsey instead of one per game like Enstrom.

We have Hainsey and Bogosian to play on the PP, and are way better offensively than Enstrom. Enstrom got points last year just making obvious passes to Kovalchuk's one-timers. I know it's really unpopular because Enstrom is really good and everyone likes him...but if moving Enstrom now could get you say Pronger, what would you do?

I really don't expect Enstrom to be effective without Havelid...Niclas is an excellent and underrated defenseman. I think at the very least now is the time to explore trading Enstrom for a monster defenseman...or a great defensive defenseman. Or do we just wait for Niclas to come back? I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old
03-02-2009, 05:33 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Tox you seem to know alot about the kid. Will he play this year? And is Oystrict sick what if he cant go tomorrow?

Old
03-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Georgia Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Why on earth do we keep adding defenseman, especially ones who don't seem familiar with the concept of covering people in their own end?

First we get one for Williams, and now we get one for Havelid.

I don't get it.

Havelid was a solid defenseman for us, hopefully the Devils make a long run with him in the lineup.
This is what I was thinking. Makes no sense to me.

Old
03-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Magnus Fulgur

I don't know a lot about the kid. What I do know is that NJ has a heck of a system and draft well and develop players well.

How about this:

Enstrom and Lehtonen for

Schultz and Backstrom (signed).

Old
03-02-2009, 05:35 PM
captainscott

Quote:
will Salmela play this year?
for sure. he will be a good asset next season. if the devils had any injuries he would have been on squad. he was just a little rough around edges and for a team in first place there is no need for a young defensmen who makes mistakes that are typical of that age.

this is a win win trade for both organizations.

Closed Thread