HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the police be allowed to charge Todd Bertuzzi?

View Poll Results: Should the police be allowed to charge Todd Bertuzzi?
Yes 31 52.54%
No 28 47.46%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2004, 02:00 PM
richardn

vCash: 500

Old
03-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Verbal Kint*

The idea that he shouldn't be charged is non-sense. If police can't get involved, whats to stop someone from slitting another person's throat in a game? Nothing! The situations aren't different, because no matter where you are, no matter what you are doing, you must obide by the law!

Old
03-12-2004, 02:27 PM
richardn

So why don't they arrest people when they are slashed and high sticked. That is no different. The only difference here is Moore got hurt. So everyone is calling for Todd's head.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:33 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
The idea that he shouldn't be charged is non-sense. If police can't get involved, whats to stop someone from slitting another person's throat in a game? Nothing! The situations aren't different, because no matter where you are, no matter what you are doing, you must obide by the law!
There is a line where the police should be involved. For example if Todd had Brass Knukles. What is your take on Gary Sutter's cross check on Paul Karia, should the police have been invoved in that. We are spending a fortune on this police investigation. They have three detectives on this case. That is rediculas. If this happened to Joe Blow on the street, Joe Blow would not get the same treatment. I don't want to see my tax paying money wasted on such non-sence.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Augustus

Yes, if their investigation shows probable cause that he premeditated his attack, that he struck him without immediate provocation and in the absence of any need for self-defense, and that he struck him with sufficient strength as to cause injury.

Police criteria should ignore that it occurred during a "game" because in this instance the attack had nothing to do with a game.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
So why don't they arrest people when they are slashed and high sticked. That is no different. The only difference here is Moore got hurt. So everyone is calling for Todd's head.
There is a difference and the difference is because for the most part, the slash or high stick is not intentional and therefore is consiodered an accident. In the same way, would a father be charged for accidently tripping on a hose while carying his daughter? There is also the severity of an incident to be taken into consideration. I doubt the police would seriously look into a case where your friend gave you a shiner. However when you break a person's neck, you have caused serious damage, and in this case it was obviously intentional.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Hart_House_Ca

I dont' thinkt he police should be allowed to charge anyone unless the victim or family of the victim(s) decides they want to press charges. If the police do decide to press charges this is a very dangerous precedent they set for all contact sports.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Augustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_House_Ca
I dont' thinkt he police should be allowed to charge anyone unless the victim or family of the victim(s) decides they want to press charges. If the police do decide to press charges this is a very dangerous precedent they set for all contact sports.

Allowing victims to determine charges is the very dangerous precedent.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:40 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
There is a difference and the difference is because for the most part, the slash or high stick is not intentional and therefore is consiodered an accident. In the same way, would a father be charged for accidently tripping on a hose while carying his daughter? There is also the severity of an incident to be taken into consideration. I doubt the police would seriously look into a case where your friend gave you a shiner. However when you break a person's neck, you have caused serious damage, and in this case it was obviously intentional.
Give me a break Garry Sutter is the dirtiest palyer in the game. Sutter stood there face to face with Karia and cross checked him right in the face. Karia has never been the same since and he could have bery easly been killed. When you cross check someone in the face it is no accident. It was not the first time he has done that.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Hart_House_Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled in Florida
Allowing victims to determine charges is the very dangerous precedent.
Why? If you feel you have been wronged, shouldn't you decide whether or not you want to press charges?

Old
03-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
I voted no only because my true choice isn't available. I believe the police should be involved only if the NHL deems it to be necessary and they call in the police, kin of like if an employee is caught skimming, it's up to the company to decide to bring in the law even though a criminal act occured.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:08 PM
Schenn02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
I voted no only because my true choice isn't available. I believe the police should be involved only if the NHL deems it to be necessary and they call in the police, kin of like if an employee is caught skimming, it's up to the company to decide to bring in the law even though a criminal act occured.
I agree.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:08 PM
nordique

vCash:
There's a simple legal explanation.

In sports, you consent to a certain amount of physical activity that would otherwise be considered assault. Two guys in a bar can NOT legally go beat each other up in the parking lot even if they both consent to the fight - they're both culpable of assault. Two boxers, however, in a sanctioned match, can. It's an assessment of what society does and should tolerate.

McSorley, for instance, was held to have *EXCEEDED THE IMPLIED CONSENT TO ASSAULT* when he tomahawked Brashear. It's a simple legal argument. It's no different than if McSorley had brought a gun onto the ice and shot Brashear in the leg or anywhere non-lethal, intending to injure him (in a legal sense, there's no real difference, anyway).

This is along the same lines. The cops have to decide whether they believe Bertuzzi, to a significant extent, exceeded Moore's implicit consent when he suckered him from behind. I think the answer is yes. I think, however, if Bertuzzi is charged he would never see the inside of a jail cell: possibly probation and community service but no more.

Those of you saying he *can't* be charged are wrong, legally.

Also the debate over "pressing charges" is wrong as well. CRIMINAL charges (anything under the Criminal Code) can only be levied by the Crown, i.e. the Crown Attorneys (Canada's equivalent of DAs). CIVIL charges (tort, breach of contract, etc.) are where you sue someone for whatever reason, be it assault, malpractice, negligence, failure to perform a contractual duty, and so on.

Moore can press CIVIL litigation against Bertuzzi, but he has no say in whether Bertuzzi is charged with a crime.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:12 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Why wouldn't they be allowed to? If they feel like there's a case they do it.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:16 PM
berney fkaj

This NHL is real life, not a dream world, and in the real world people just charged for a lot less than that.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:28 PM
richardn

If Bertuzzi is charged with assault it will make a mokery out of our sport. You would have to have the police investigate every time there is an act of violence that is debatlable upon assault. This is absurd. Next time I am watching hockey and see a blatent assault I think I am going to dial 911 and report an assault. Do you see my point. It would be unfair for the police not to warrent other investigaions. I fpr one do not want to see my tax paying dolars go to waste on things like this. People on here are so closed minded. Don't let the media controll your thinking on this matter. This whole thing is just a big circus and a joke.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:34 PM
richardn

The bottom line is if the police are going to invetigat this incedent they should have to police every act of violence in hockey. What about when Tie Domi elbowed Niedimire. He told scott that he was going to pay him back. To me that is intent to injure someone and was very well planned. What if Domi had killed Scott Why did none of you call the poilce then.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Hart_House_Ca

The NHL should fine anyone making any threats or threatening comments after games. This includes: GM's, Coaches, Players & Teams.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Why wouldn't they be allowed to? If they feel like there's a case they do it.
agreed

Old
03-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Stephen

Quote:
If Bertuzzi is charged with assault it will make a mokery out of our sport. You would have to have the police investigate every time there is an act of violence that is debatlable upon assault. This is absurd. Next time I am watching hockey and see a blatent assault I think I am going to dial 911 and report an assault. Do you see my point. It would be unfair for the police not to warrent other investigaions. I fpr one do not want to see my tax paying dolars go to waste on things like this. People on here are so closed minded. Don't let the media controll your thinking on this matter. This whole thing is just a big circus and a joke.
If there was serious wrong doing, the police should be allowed to investigate. What if someone dies in an incident? Should it be brushed off because it would make a 'mockery' of the sport? I do think the whole incident has been blown out of proportion somewhat, since punching and roughing is a part of the game, but to think that the police shouldn't be allowed to investigate something and charge a person because it happens during a sporting event is a joke.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:41 PM
richardn

I am done arguing on this issue. Their is just to many people out there that let the media influence them and not allow you guys to look at all the issues involved. The media has done another fine job at blowing things up. As faras I am concerned most of the people in here are just as bad as the media.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:46 PM
richardn

Quote:
I am done arguing on this issue. Their is just to many people out there that let the media influence them and not allow you guys to look at all the issues involved. The media has done another fine job at blowing things up. As faras I am concerned most of the people in here are just as bad as the media.
I am just smart enough to tell the diference from a sucker punch and shooting someone. There is 1000 assaults every year in the NHL. If you look at one it is only fair to look at them all. What if someone dies from a fight in the NHL should the police be a loud to charge The fighter with manslaughter.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:50 PM
richardn

Someday down the road an incedent my a rise where the Police should investigate, but this one is not one of those incedents. It is common sense, the only reason the police are pushing the investigation is because of pressure from the media.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:51 PM
richardn

Sorry now I am done. I really needed to get that off of my chest. I feel much better now.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:53 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwilliams
WAKE UP PEOPPLE ... THERES NO WAY THE COPS SHOULD BE INVOLVED .... and i'm gonna ask those thAT believe they should this question .... SHOULD THE COURTS BE INVOLVED WHEN A PITCHER THE VERY NEXT BATTER AFTER A HOMERUN HITS A BATTER IN THE FACE BREAKING HIS JAW????? and don't say this is different , #1 the baseball is a DEADLY WEAPON and what was bertuzzi's weapon? his glove? also baseball loves violence and bench clearing brawls AND ITS NOT EVEN A FRIGGIN CONTACT SPORT :mad: , YOU SO CALLED HOCKEY FANS THAT THINK BERTUZZI SHOULD BE CHARGED IS FALLING IN THE HANDS OF THE AMERICAN MEDIA WHO ONLY TALKS HOCKEY WHEN SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENS.. they don't care about hockey and NEVER will, so the next time when a pitcher plunks a batter on purpose i hope you idiots that want to grease the lawyers pockets cry the way your crying now

Thank you very much

Closed Thread