HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin St Louis's name connected to Rangers

View Poll Results: Would you Trade Grachev for M. St Louis?
Yes 36 18.75%
No 156 81.25%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-02-2009, 09:08 PM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
Give them Sangs instead of Del Zotto, and it sounds like a plan...
Why would you want to retain Del Zotto over Sangs? Do you like one of the last names better than the other? Statistically speaking they both look good. I would not get rid of either of them, especially for a soon to be 34 year old St. Louis, when its not the Rangers year.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
St. Louis has the production to match his contract....He isn't a dog...He is a good player....He is the sort of player you trade prospects for......
He's a good player now, but for how long do you think that'll last? I doubt we're winning the Cup this season regardless, but are you sure that in the next two seasons this team will make it to contender status with St. Louis sans some young players and prospects?

It's more a matter of window of opportunity, and I don't think this team's there yet, nor am I sure it'll be there in the next two years. He is the sort of player who trade prospects for if you're making a Cup run from now until 2010.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:09 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
No. This was.
1995-96 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 82 62 87 149 96 18 11 12 23 18
1996-97 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 63 47 48 95 40 5 4 4 8 4
1997-98 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 77 35 67 102 64 6 4 5 9 2
1998-99 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 81 44 83 127 66 9 5 7 12 16
1999-00 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 63 42 54 96 50 11 8 8 16 6
2000-01 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 81 52 69 121 42 16 2 10 12 18
Disagree 100% he put up the same numbers as those years except for 96 while being the ONLY offensive target on the team.

As for the thread, I make the deal for St. Louis, however it doesn't include Grachev or Anisimov.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:09 PM
McMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFPatUSC View Post
lmfao...

How many times do people try to "call you out" on having a Malkin Av on a ranger board?
Atleast 6 times a day...

I should make a thread stating my fanhood.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Don't forget St Louis brings alot of skill. He plays EVERY situation. 5 on 5 , PP, PK He's pretty clutch too. Guy is just a great all around player.
St Louis is a terrific player... but does he put THIS team at a cup level this year or next year? I don't think so... I would ABSOLUTELY take him on my team... but what we would realistically offer would be dwarfed by other teams. If Sanguinetti, Dawes, and Rosival got it done, then FANTASTIC... but it won't.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strauss View Post
Why would you want to retain Del Zotto over Sangs? Do you like one of the last names better than the other? Statistically speaking they both look good. I would not get rid of either of them, especially for a soon to be 34 year old St. Louis, when its not the Rangers year.
Sanguinetti is -15 in hartford, Del Zotto is scoring big in the OHL. doesnt mean everything, but I feel like Del Zotto will have the better nh career.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulDead View Post
Short term is fine with me. When his contract is up you just go get a new FA winger. I fail to see the problem with this?
It's called the salary cap. The Rangers can't just keep going out and buying players. They cost too much. We'll never have a cup-caliber team building that way.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:12 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
He's a good player now, but for how long do you think that'll last? I doubt we're winning the Cup this season regardless, but are you sure that in the next two seasons this team will make it to contender status with St. Louis sans some young players and prospects?

It's more a matter of window of opportunity, and I don't think this team's there yet, nor am I sure it'll be there in the next two years. He is the sort of player who trade prospects for if you're making a Cup run from now until 2010.
My thoughts exactly. Since he is getting older, he's kinda that veteran piece that you want when making a Cup run.

I'd also feel more comfortable in acquiring him if this team wasn't so damn small. The Rangers really need a winger with size, a power forward type guy.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Kveton is going to be very, very good. You dont have to take my word for it, either. Plus Anisimov is considered a potential first line center. I dont see Grachev as too much higher than either of them.
Hate to tell you, but Anisimov? First line center? In a division with Parise, Crosby, Malkin, Carter etc...? A guy who can't crack the roster of team that can't score? You have to be kidding me...

I think he could be a decent player, but come on...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:15 PM
smoneil

People in favor of this trade keep mentioning how good a player St. Louis is. I don't disagree. He's a heck of a player. That's not the issue. He's an expensive, older player who will NOT turn this team into a favorite for the Cup. That is the reason to reject a trade like this.

Also, I find it interesting that the posters claiming that St. Louis IS the difference between missing the playoffs and a Cup are the same posters who said that Renney was given a talentless, crap roster and it wasn't his fault. Funny how opinions change when a mancrush comes into play.

I still think that this team will be poised to be a cup threat in the last couple of years of Gomez' contract. Assuming, that is, that we don't do anything stupid with our top prospects.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
No he doesn't, whatever your smoking, pass it this way please.
Some of you thought the current team constructed had a chance to contend for the cup, but you're saying adding St Louis doesn't? Make up your minds.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Hate to tell you, but Anisimov? First line center? In a division with Parise, Crosby, Malkin, Carter etc...? A guy who can't crack the roster of team that can't score? You have to be kidding me...

I think he could be a decent player, but come on...
I dont think his not cracking the roster has anything to do with not being ready. It has to do with needing top 6 minutes to develop. I dont think hes gonna be a 1st line center either. But I dont think Grachev is gonna score as much as St. Louis. Its a gamble, no doubt about it. And im glad that this isnt much of a rumor.

Old
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
St Louis is a terrific player... but does he put THIS team at a cup level this year or next year? I don't think so... I would ABSOLUTELY take him on my team... but what we would realistically offer would be dwarfed by other teams. If Sanguinetti, Dawes, and Rosival got it done, then FANTASTIC... but it won't.
Ya never know what gets it done. Apparently NYR and Tampa have been talking for weeks now. Talks about Torts, Sullivan... Don't discount Sathers good ole boy ways. They can be quite effective when there is time to shoot the **** over this and that. How many times have we heard the Slats deals that started as one thing and ended up something completly different.

Does St Louis make them a contender? Im going to say no BUT

It DOES make them more competitive, and NYR has a world class goaltender.

03-02-2009, 09:16 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
Yes, he does. He very well does.
We've won 3 games in our last 15.

Say it with me....

We've won 3 games in our last 15.

And you think St. Louis makes us a cup contender? lol

Old
03-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I'd probably consider it 3 or 4 years ago. I think St. Louis is a dynamite player, but this team really is in no position to be dealing away prospects. If we could get him for a combination of picks and roster players, I'd be open to it, but moving any prospects seems like a bad idea for a team in our financial situation.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

We need young talent to build this team around. We haven't drafted an offensive stud since KOVALEV besides Marc Savard. TB can keep St. Louis and I'd rather count on Grachev being a 30-40 goal scorer.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:22 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Kveton is going to be very, very good. You dont have to take my word for it, either. Plus Anisimov is considered a potential first line center. I dont see Grachev as too much higher than either of them.
Kveton has done well this year in the Extraliga, but there are no guarantees that he'll ever play for us. From all accounts, he doesn't want to play in the AHL and I'm not sure the Rangers will be willing to give him a spot without first seeing how he adapts to NA hockey. Hopefully he will come to camp next year and we'll see what happens.

Old
03-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Evolved83

Quote:
Sanguinetti is -15 in hartford, Del Zotto is scoring big in the OHL. doesnt mean everything, but I feel like Del Zotto will have the better nh career.
I totally agree

Evolved83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Bury Your Head

St. Louis? Awesome player. But very, very small. We need someone with size. Lecavalier? YES. But it ain't gonna happen.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Maybe because he is our only prospect in the top 20 in the NHL, and has shown he can be a force in the NHL. It's pretty hard for a prospect to show a lot at the NHL level, when, ya know they're a prospect. You'd be Neil Smith to do this trade.
huh? where have you seen that grachev is a top 20 nhl prospect? and when did he show he can be a force in the nhl?

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Kveton has done well this year in the Extraliga, but there are no guarantees that he'll ever play for us. From all accounts, he doesn't want to play in the AHL and I'm not sure the Rangers will be willing to give him a spot without first seeing how he adapts to NA hockey. Hopefully he will come to camp next year and we'll see what happens.
Yes, can't he come to camp and if he can't make the team return to Europe? A potential compromise to get him over here.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
One can hope, because when you are scoring as much as Marty Straka and David Vyborny(I think it is) at age 21 you deserve a good long look.

Old
03-02-2009, 09:27 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Grachev is officially ranked as one of the top 20 future NHLers right now according to THN. He's arguably the second fastest player in the OHL (based on the skills competition) and outscoring Rick Nash's pace during his 18 year old year. Those who doubt him, clearly haven't put the time in to watch his highlights on YouTube. Mark my words, he will be a first line winger and play in multiple allstar games (have I said that before...?).

You hang on to this prospect at all costs, unless you can use him as part of a package for a young (27 years old or less) legit star. At this point, I wouldn't trade him for St. Louis straight up.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Vitto79

to make it work Rozy's salary would have to go back..............they could also get a Dman back in the deal OR deal for Flip Kuba a former TB guy too

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 09:30 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
We need young talent to build this team around. We haven't drafted an offensive stud since KOVALEV besides Marc Savard. TB can keep St. Louis and I'd rather count on Grachev being a 30-40 goal scorer.
Yeah, and we traded him away. Let's not make the same mistake.