HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2009 1st Round Pick

Old
03-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
I don't think they should trade the pick unless it's for a legit scoring winger. Also, they need to take a legit scoring winger in the draft this year. BPA and all that crap, but you can't keep spending draft picks on the same position year in and year out (defensemen, for the Rangers) and then sit there and ***** about the fact that the team has no young up and coming scoring forwards.

They seriously lack high end forward prospects. All the prospects they have are hardly a lock to do anything.

I'm going to seriously flip out if they pick up another defenseman in the first around. I don't really mind a center though, if he's a top flight center. The Rangers can always move things around if necessary (like Dubinsky playing wing) and Drury's contract runs out in 3 years anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Not for nothing... center is our best prospect position? Dubinsky is struggling mightily...
Actually, despite struggling to score goals, Dubinsky is pretty much on pace to match or exceed his point totals from last year. His sophomore slump hasn't been that horrible, especially since the overall team offense has gone down and they don't have Jagr out there

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:44 AM
David Puddy

Drafting the best possible player is always a good option. That player could always be traded if the drafting team likes who they have filling that position, or one of the players filling the drafted player's position could be moved to created a spot and some cap room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
That's really not that specific. It doesn't say that you must draft someone in the gene pool. Not to be disrespectful at all here, because it's not intended that way, but since the Rangers could draft a meatball if they wanted to, why couldn't they re-draft Cherepanov? Basically what I'm saying is that the Rangers probably should be compensated for the loss. It's not their fault they lost a player, he was never signed anyway...
From Article 8:

8.4 Eligigbility for Claim.

(a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft.

That would preclude the drafting of inanimate objects such as a meatball. Also note the 1974 selection in the NHL Amateur Draft by Buffalo of Taro Tsujimoto of the Tokyo Katanas in the Japanese League. The selection was later ruled "invalid claim" by the league because there was no such person or even such a team.

David Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Lots of hockey left to play, but as it stands right now, I would hope Kassain is still around when it's the Rangers turn to take the podium. Seems like the club is on par for the typical Rangers 17-21 pick. According to most services Kassain should be there. Last year at this time I think he was ranked top 10 or so. But these big kids have a tendency to go a little earlier.

Then again with a 17-21 pick, there is always the chance that a player is going to fall that shouldn't be there. See Sanguinetti, Cherepanov, and even Del Zotto. But...Maybe this year it will be Ellis? Won't be for Schroeder IMO. He made enough of an impression at the World JRS to go top 10. For Ellis though, being a defenseman size could factor into him falling. If he is there between 17-21 the Rangers I think will take him...just by BPA

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:01 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'll go BPA. I'd prefer a forward, but if it's a defenseman, so what? Prospects are just as valuable as trade chips, so having a surplus of defensive prospects isn't bad. Additionally, none of our D prospects have established themselves as NHL players. BPA all the way.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:01 AM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy View Post
Drafting the best possible player is always a good option. That player could always be traded if the drafting team likes who they have filling that position, or one of the players filling the drafted player's position could be moved to created a spot and some cap room.

From Article 8:

<b>
8.4 Eligigbility for Claim.

(a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft.
</b>

That would preclude the drafting of inanimate objects such as a meatball. Also note the 1974 selection in the NHL Amateur Draft by Buffalo of Taro Tsujimoto of the Tokyo Katanas in the Japanese League. The selection was later ruled "invalid claim" by the league because there was no such person or even such a team.
The truth is they wanted to prove a point to the league that having so many late rounds was ridiculous. They picked up a phone book and randomly picked a person. So this was a real person but he was definitely not a hockey player. They had a documentary on he NHL draft several years ago that states this.

rangerfan_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
gardenfaithful44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Lots of hockey left to play, but as it stands right now, I would hope Kassain is still around when it's the Rangers turn to take the podium. Seems like the club is on par for the typical Rangers 17-21 pick. According to most services Kassain should be there. Last year at this time I think he was ranked top 10 or so. But these big kids have a tendency to go a little earlier.

Then again with a 17-21 pick, there is always the chance that a player is going to fall that shouldn't be there. See Sanguinetti, Cherepanov, and even Del Zotto. But...Maybe this year it will be Ellis? Won't be for Schroeder IMO. He made enough of an impression at the World JRS to go top 10. For Ellis though, being a defenseman size could factor into him falling. If he is there between 17-21 the Rangers I think will take him...just by BPA
Schroeder is dropping fast. Yes, he had a good WJC but he disappeared against the top competition. He performed well against weaker teams. Considering he was on the best line in the tournament, scouts were not impressed. After taking a look at ISS February rankings and talking to a few scouts, they all feel they were late in dropping Schroeder. He should've been dropped sooner. He has tremendous potential he just needs to show it against top caliber competition.

gardenfaithful44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:04 AM
eco's bones

I think that if Kassian is around and the Rangers believe he's a good bet to be a 25 goal scoring winger year in and year out he'd be a hard one to pass by with his size and style of play. We haven't had a legit goal scoring threat with that kind of size and mean streak since Graves and Messier.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:14 AM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'll go BPA. I'd prefer a forward, but if it's a defenseman, so what? Prospects are just as valuable as trade chips, so having a surplus of defensive prospects isn't bad. Additionally, none of our D prospects have established themselves as NHL players. BPA all the way.
Exactly, can't have too many good young players. If drafting a dman allows us to turn around a year or two from now and trade a guy like Staal, Girardi, Sanguinetti or DZ for that real good young scoring forward. You always go BPA.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:17 AM
ogie

three words ...Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Exactly, can't have too many good young players. If drafting a dman allows us to turn around a year or two from now and trade a guy like Staal, Girardi, Sanguinetti or DZ for that real good young scoring forward. You always go BPA.
But what are the odds that you're going to be able to flip a prospect for an established scoring forward.

And honestly, right now, scoring forwards are more valuable than defensemen

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
three more...goes to (insert top 5 team)

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
BPA.

Not sure who that will be, just hope Slats doesn't trade it away sometime tomorrow.
I sure hope it's moved.

Mainly, because the only way it's moved is for a legit young scorer or for a d-man like JayBo (would probably be conditional, anyway, on him re-signing).

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Synergy27

It's essentially an impossibility, but I would really like to see the Rangers make a big splash and try to acquire Matt Duchene somehow. The kid has Zach Parise written all over him, and as a guy who will never be able to get over passing on Zach, finding a way to add Duchene is a step in the right direction. I really have no concept of what the cost to move into the (top 5?) might be, but I'd be willing to move just about any asset the Rangers have for him.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:47 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
But what are the odds that you're going to be able to flip a prospect for an established scoring forward.

I agree, that's why I'd prefer drafting a forward. However, if the BPA is clearly a defenseman, and the forward would be a reach, I'll take the defenseman. Or trade out of the pick and pick up additional assets.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:49 AM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
three more...goes to (insert top 5 team)
i dunno... teams seem a little down on European players the past few years.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 11:00 AM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

That wasn't really where I was going with that. What I was saying was if by drafting a defenseman, we can kind of replace our current dmen from the bottom, you could probably flip an established guy for what we're looking for. So when Staal or Girardi is looking for his big deal, but we've got younger good guys trying to break in, you can look at some offers at consider some options. Not so much trading an unproven guy for a proven one, but more of a win-win where you'd give up a good young NHL Dman for a good young NHL forward.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Nothing wrong with taking the BPA if it's a d-man. A young, top-4 d-man is an incredibly valuable asset that could easily land you a similar caliber forward.

Kassian was ranked at #19 for last months ISS, so there's a chance we wind up with him. Of course theres also the chance a talented European player falls to us again, or we trade up a la Staal.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Pizza

It would be wonderful to geta top 5 pick, but it still comes down to BPA. No matter where you pick.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfaithful44 View Post
I know this years draft class is very deep and is very talented. However, I've looked over about 40 potential 1st round selections. It seems this is a deep draft for centers and defensemen. I dont see the Rangers taking a defensemen in the 1st round and center is our best prospect position.

With that being said, I believe this team could acquire a top 6 winger on draft day if they trade the pick, or they can trade the pick at the deadline for a player under contract for a few more years. I'm all for building through the draft and developing young talent, but this is one of those situations where I think its best to trade that pick.

Thoughts?
I remember seeing like 3 or 4 wingers that where projected in the top 30. Mostly around 20-30 which is where I expect(HOPE) our pick will be. So maybe it is best to keep it. However, I am all for trading picks for players or even picks/player for upgrade as long as they are not too old (under 28) which a good contract and a few years left on the contract. However, I doubt there is anyone like that a team is willing to trade our first for.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:06 AM
RangersFan88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
this is the dream never coming true

RangersFan88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:43 AM
DarthSather99

Scott Glennie or Jeremy Morin who is dropping into our range.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:07 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I wouldn't mind trading up to get Schroeder.

God I hope the Isles don't get Tavaras. I don't know much about the kid but someone that good I can only imagine being whinier and more annoying than Crosby. And he'd be a fishstick to boot.

I would love to see Tavaras and Kovalchuk. That would just be fun to watch. Let the sticks take Hedman.
Who knows? Grachev and Zherdev could be just as entertaining. Throw in Anisimov, that could be a really fun line to watch in the future. Just in dedication to Cherepanov. I would love to take a chance on another Russian gem, if possible. Look out for Grachev surprising many people and becoming as good a player as Tavares.

Montreal fans who get to check out Grachev playing in Jr's rave about this kid. The reason he didn't go earlier is the same reason Cherepanov didn't. We took a chance.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote