Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Update thread II

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

vCash: 500
OK- great game between Drummondville and Windsor- 2-2 after regulation and going into OT.

Here are my thoughts on Yannick "Don't Call Me Vinny" Riendeau:

The Good- Even though he didn't score, you could clearly see Riendeau's hands and scoring instincts on display, as he is very good with the puck in traffic. He had one glorious chance in the second on a PP, when he was sent in alone and denied twice on the initial shot and then a rebound by Windsor goalie Andrew Engelage. Nice, quick release on the wrister and a screaming snapshot that he's able to get off effortlessly. Made several nice moves down and around the net and while he didn't draw an assist on the Dumont PPG, got it going with nice control along the right wall and then a quick look-off that froze the closest Windsor defender before sliding it out to the pointman. Also showed willingness to give up the body as he blocked some shots late when the Spits were buzzing and the Volts were exhausted.

The Bad- Made some giveaways that were of the lazy/careless variety at times which led to Windsor odd-man breaks the other way. He's got to make better decisions when in possession of the puck in the offensive zone.

The Ugly- Yeah, the skating exactly as I was told- hunched over like he's got a baby grand piano on his back. Short, choppy stride. Means he rarely gets the jump on the defender and has to use his smarts to gain separation.

Overall- Can't fault this signing. We're not even talking about a guy who was drafted here, so I saw a guy (and keep in mind- on TV, you can't see what's happening behind the play) who plays with a decent energy level and brought the kind of offensive skills as advertised even if he didn't score in regulation. We'll see if he's got anything in OT.

Old
05-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Les Voltigeurs!

Drummondville wins it in OT on a nice backhander from Antoine Frenette playing in just his 5th game of the playoffs.

Riendeau did not officially figure into any of the scoring today, but as I said above, he did get the play rolling on the first goal by Gabriel Dumont.

Old
05-17-2009, 03:25 AM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Thanks for the updates Kirk, just got home from work and I'm going to bed. Needless to say I won't be watching the recording of this game now lol.

Old
05-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Drummondville vs. Kelowna tonight. 7 or 7:30 pm start on NHL Network. Should be an excellent game, as Kelowna should match up well against the Voltigeurs.

Old
05-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Riendeau having an outstanding game so far, 3-2 Drummondville with about 5 min. left in the 2nd period.

Scored the first goal unassisted on a tough angle, but somehow snuck the shot through a maze of players and past Kelowna goalie Guggiberg.

Assisted on Vachon's late 1st period PPG by making a nice pass to Masse, who then slid the puck across the front of the goal for the one-timer.

Riendeau then assisted on Drummondville's 3rd goal by trailing the forechecker who forced the Kelowna D to throw it back up the boards. Riendeau intercepted and then put a perfect feed out to the high slot where M-A Desnoyers was positioned. He fired a shot that pinballed off a defender and into the net moments after Kelowna had tied.

He's got excellent hands and vision- you really see it on display at this level. He's thinking two or three seconds ahead of everyone else it seems. The skating isn't great, but he's getting there and on one 2nd period scoring chance beat the defenseman in a footrace.

Last edited by Kirk- NEHJ: 05-18-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old
05-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Kelowna's Jamie Been tied it late- 3-3 heading into the final frame.

Old
05-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Riendeau may be hurt- went down awkwardly in front of the Kelowna net and was dragged out of the crease by d-man Tyler Myers. Did not skate next shift on line with Masse.

Old
05-18-2009, 08:10 PM
twominute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Riendeau may be hurt- went down awkwardly in front of the Kelowna net and was dragged out of the crease by d-man Tyler Myers. Did not skate next shift on line with Masse.
Ugh, lets hope not. Great story to follow. Thanks for the play by play, Kirk.

Old
05-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Riendeau's back.

Just got his 4th point of the game- on the power play.

Facing the boards to the goalie's left, he faked going to his left, then spun right, turned around and found a teammate open in the slot who then passed to Vachon who again one-timed it into the net for a 4-3 lead.

Riendeau now has 30G and 26A- 56 PTS in the playoffs this season.

Old
05-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Been just turned the trick- 3G, 1A to tie the game at 4 on the pp.

Old
05-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Been just tallied his 4th- Kelowna up 5-4.

Brutal shot that Cousineau should have stopped.

Old
05-18-2009, 08:25 PM
twominute

Quote:
Been just tallied his 4th- Kelowna up 5-4.

Brutal shot that Cousineau should have stopped.
Sign Been! Damn how the tide turns. Lets see you Riendeau is in the clutch

Old
05-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Another softie for Marco Cousineau- but not to Been, but Cody Almond.

He was outstanding against Windsor, but man- he's been garbage tonight.

6-4 Kelowna, and it looks like they'll play for the championship game on Saturday. They'll wait to see who wins the Rimouski-Drummondville game on Wed.

But, impressed with Riendeau's offensive showing tonight. After getting shutout in Game 1, he showed why he led the Q in scoring this season.

Old
05-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

WOW- Been almost hit the empty-netter from all the way down near his goal for his 5th goal of the night, but he hit the post. It would have counted.

Old
05-18-2009, 08:40 PM
bruinsden
PRO/BOS Bruins!!!

So with Drummondville out do we see Rindeau in Providence?

Old
05-18-2009, 08:41 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by twominute View Post
Sign Been! Damn how the tide turns. Lets see you Riendeau is in the clutch
Kirk keeps calling him Been, but it's Jamie Benn who's a Dallas Stars fifth rounder in 2007 who scored three (maybe four) goals against Kazakhstan at the WJC for Canada this year.

Old
05-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Drummondville's not out. They're 1-1. Kelowna's 2-0. Rimouski 1-1 and Windsor 0-2.

They play Rimouski on Wed.- whoever wins then plays Kelowna for the Memorial Cup championship on Saturday.

I don't think you'll see Riendeau in Providence. I suppose it's possible, but with the glut of forwards they have, I doubt Murray makes room for him this late.

Better for him to rest and shoot for development camp and then training camp and the new season.

Old
05-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Kirk keeps calling him Been, but it's Jamie Benn who's a Dallas Stars fifth rounder in 2007 who scored three (maybe four) goals against Kazakhstan at the WJC for Canada this year.
Yes, you're right- my bad. Benn.

I'm a big fan of The Call, whose lead singer's name is Michael Been.

Old
05-18-2009, 08:44 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsden View Post
So with Drummondville out do we see Rindeau in Providence?
They aren't out, they're 1-1 in a four team round robin where three teams move on. They'll at least tie Windsor who's 0-2 and there's a tiebreaker game if two teams finish tied for third.

Old
05-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

No tie-breaker needed.

With Windsor 0-2, it will come down to whichever team wins between Drummondville and Rimouski on Wed. to face Kelowna in the championship game (Sat.).

Loser faces Windsor in the rubber match.

Riendeau's stats: 21 GP 30 G 26 A 56 PTS

Old
05-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Wonder Boy
2026 Draft Prospect

Quote:
Drummondville's not out. They're 1-1. Kelowna's 2-0. Rimouski 1-1 and Windsor 0-2.

They play Rimouski on Wed.- whoever wins then plays Kelowna for the Memorial Cup championship on Saturday.

I don't think you'll see Riendeau in Providence. I suppose it's possible, but with the glut of forwards they have, I doubt Murray makes room for him this late.

Better for him to rest and shoot for development camp and then training camp and the new season.
Unless he improves that skating stride he'll have a hard enough time cracking Providence next fall nevermind next week. The offense is there but he just flat out can't skate. He doesn't back check because he can't keep up. In the offensive zone he floats around and is the last man out of the zone. Unless he really works at it over the summer I see this kid bound for the ECHL. I still like the signing but feel he is a project that needs help. Worst stride since Jiri Jakes.

I didn't think his turns, pivots, crossovers looked bad, but his 1st step is taking steps backwords. At full stride he skates like he was punched in the stomach.

Jamie Benn - nice pick by Dallas in 2007. His game today reminded me of the way Colin Wilson dominated in the NCAA Frozen Four finals.

Old
05-18-2009, 09:02 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
No tie-breaker needed.

With Windsor 0-2, it will come down to whichever team wins between Drummondville and Rimouski on Wed. to face Kelowna in the championship game (Sat.).

Loser faces Windsor in the rubber match.

Riendeau's stats: 21 GP 30 G 26 A 56 PTS
If Windsor beats Kelowna, Windsor will be 1-2 and the loser of Drummondville-Rimouski will be 1-2 and the winner 2-1. The 2-1 teams will both advance out of the round robin, whichever one is deemed first place (I forgot how it's done, probably head to head which would be Kelowna) goes right to the finals and the other gets second place so they're in the semifinal game. Windsor would then play whatever other team finished 1-2 in a tiebreaker game for third place. Whoever wins that plays the second place team in the semifinal game to play the first place team in the finals.

Old
05-18-2009, 09:04 PM
bruinsden
PRO/BOS Bruins!!!

Quote:

Oh my bad, don't know how this whole Memorial Cup thing works

Old
05-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Did you just compare his stride to Jiri Jakes? The 6-4 stiff who could not only not skate but who had no hockey brain?

Hey- I'm not saying Riendeau is going to be an NHL player let alone star, but Jakes?
Well, Riendeau's already up on Jakes 1-0...he at least signed an NHL contract. Jakes couldn't even play consistently well enough to check that block.

I get the skating issues, but Riendeau's an exceptional offensive talent. You don't put up the points he has every year by not having that extra special something. Whether that translates into an NHL career or not remains to be seen, but as you said- what's not to like about the signing. Riendeau was a former 1st-round bantam pick and so the potential's always been there. Now, it's up to him to either realize it and make the NHL one day, or be a minor league journeyman. But, the Bruins have very little capital invested in him.

My guess is that Riendeau will play next year wherever he can get the most ice time to help his development. Be it Providence, ECHL- who cares as long as he's successful. I think his hands and sense balance out his skating much better than that clown Jakes ever had going for him. Me personally, if I had any say in the matter, I'd make sure he plays in Providence because Rob Murray will dig in his a** and make sure he learns to play a defensively responsible game or he'll get benched. Could be the best thing for him rather than sending him down to the ECHL where he'll likely be one of the better young offensive players on his team.

But, jeebus, Shane. Jiri Jakes? That's being a bit of a killjoy, even for you.

Old
05-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
If Windsor beats Kelowna, Windsor will be 1-2 and the loser of Drummondville-Rimouski will be 1-2 and the winner 2-1. The 2-1 teams will both advance out of the round robin, whichever one is deemed first place (I forgot how it's done, probably head to head which would be Kelowna) goes right to the finals and the other gets second place so they're in the semifinal game. Windsor would then play whatever other team finished 1-2 in a tiebreaker game for third place. Whoever wins that plays the second place team in the semifinal game to play the first place team in the finals.

That's kind of a screwy system.

Kelowna has the finals berth- they announced it tonight.

What happens if Kelowna beats Windsor to drop them to 0-3? Would Rimouski and Drummondville have to play each other again after their round robin game Wednesday to determine which one gets to play Kelowna?

What if they split? Or, does the winner automatically go on to play Kelowna?

Closed Thread