Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2009, 10:18 PM
neelynugs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
That's kind of a screwy system.

Kelowna has the finals berth- they announced it tonight.

What happens if Kelowna beats Windsor to drop them to 0-3? Would Rimouski and Drummondville have to play each other again after their round robin game Wednesday to determine which one gets to play Kelowna?

What if they split? Or, does the winner automatically go on to play Kelowna?
kelowna gets the bye to the final b/c they beat both the teams that can possibly end up 2-1.

so yes, if windsor loses, the yannick riendeau's will play rimouski on friday night...again. should be a fun crowd.

Old
05-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Gracias.

Old
05-18-2009, 10:25 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:

What happens if Kelowna beats Windsor to drop them to 0-3? Would Rimouski and Drummondville have to play each other again after their round robin game Wednesday to determine which one gets to play Kelowna?

Exactly, if Windsor loses to Kelowna, Rimouski and Drummondville will play twice in a row the second time in the semis to play Kelowna in the finals.

Old
05-18-2009, 10:26 PM
reffree

Quote:

If Kelowna win toomorow, the Drumond-Rimouski game will be meaningless and they will replay friday in the semi. If Kelowna loose toomorow, the winner of the Drumond-Rimouski game advance to the semi on friday and the looser will play on thursday against Windsor for the other place in the semi.

Old
05-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Wonder Boy
2026 Draft Prospect

Quote:
Did you just compare his stride to Jiri Jakes? The 6-4 stiff who could not only not skate but who had no hockey brain?

Hey- I'm not saying Riendeau is going to be an NHL player let alone star, but Jakes?
Well, Riendeau's already up on Jakes 1-0...he at least signed an NHL contract. Jakes couldn't even play consistently well enough to check that block.

I get the skating issues, but Riendeau's an exceptional offensive talent. You don't put up the points he has every year by not having that extra special something. Whether that translates into an NHL career or not remains to be seen, but as you said- what's not to like about the signing. Riendeau was a former 1st-round bantam pick and so the potential's always been there. Now, it's up to him to either realize it and make the NHL one day, or be a minor league journeyman. But, the Bruins have very little capital invested in him.

My guess is that Riendeau will play next year wherever he can get the most ice time to help his development. Be it Providence, ECHL- who cares as long as he's successful. I think his hands and sense balance out his skating much better than that clown Jakes ever had going for him. Me personally, if I had any say in the matter, I'd make sure he plays in Providence because Rob Murray will dig in his a** and make sure he learns to play a defensively responsible game or he'll get benched. Could be the best thing for him rather than sending him down to the ECHL where he'll likely be one of the better young offensive players on his team.

But, jeebus, Shane. Jiri Jakes? That's being a bit of a killjoy, even for you.

I thought you'd enjoy the Jakes comparison.

Seriously though, I only used Jakes because of the similarities in the hunched over stride. Maybe Lukas Vantuch should be #2 behind Jakes , but as of now Riendeau is easily the worst skater among all the signed prospects. I don't see how Murray keeps him next year with his current stride. I see why they signed him....you can't teach what he already has going for him and you can fix the skating if he works hard at it.

I think the speed of the AHL will be tough on him. He can get away with it in the CHL but not against AHL players. This is a major hurdle for the kid, I hope he has the fire to get it done. That's why I think the ECHL will make more sense in the short term.

Old
05-19-2009, 07:52 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Boy View Post
I thought you'd enjoy the Jakes comparison.

Seriously though, I only used Jakes because of the similarities in the hunched over stride. Maybe Lukas Vantuch should be #2 behind Jakes , but as of now Riendeau is easily the worst skater among all the signed prospects. I don't see how Murray keeps him next year with his current stride. I see why they signed him....you can't teach what he already has going for him and you can fix the skating if he works hard at it.

I think the speed of the AHL will be tough on him. He can get away with it in the CHL but not against AHL players. This is a major hurdle for the kid, I hope he has the fire to get it done. That's why I think the ECHL will make more sense in the short term.
Are you telling me he's worse than Reul??

Riendeau is a zero-risk prospect...no draft pick, not huge money, so what's not to like? The initial reports on Krejci were that he was a subpar skater as well, and after a couple of summers with a skating coach, his skating is no longer an issue...same for Lucic (Not putting Vinny in their category).

As Kirk said, it probably comes down to how bad the kid wants to play in the NHL. If he can turn himself into an average skater, with his offensive skills, it sounds doable. Personally, I ma hoping that he's one of those people that uses all the naysayers as motivation to get him to the next level. And if it doesn't work out, it's only money and it doesn't count against the Cap.

Most importantly, it's not our money, lol.

Old
05-19-2009, 08:14 AM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Not trying to say he's on Tavares' level, but the knock on him is that he isn't a great skater. All Riendeau has to do is work at it and he'll be in the NHL someday, hopefully sooner rather than later. As you said Kirk he was a first round bantam pick so the potential is obviously there. I'm interested to see how he does in Providence next season, or even in the ECHL. Hopefully he stays in North America, I believe I read somewhere he went to France during his draft year, which is why no NHL team took a chance on him.

Old
05-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf8188 View Post
Not trying to say he's on Tavares' level, but the knock on him is that he isn't a great skater. All Riendeau has to do is work at it and he'll be in the NHL someday, hopefully sooner rather than later. As you said Kirk he was a first round bantam pick so the potential is obviously there. I'm interested to see how he does in Providence next season, or even in the ECHL. Hopefully he stays in North America, I believe I read somewhere he went to France during his draft year, which is why no NHL team took a chance on him.

He played in France last season (07-08) and not in his draft year ('06).

Again- sending him to the ECHL isn't likely going to make him a better defensive player or skater. The Bruins currently don't have an affiliate agreement with any ECHL team, so there won't be people in that team/organization working with him while taking Boston's best interests into consideration. This is why it is too easy to declare that his skating isn't AHL caliber and that he needs to go down, when what Riendeau could really use is some tough love and personal attention from Rob Murray, who is clearly continuing the excellent work Scott Gordon did in Providence.

Maybe I'm totally wrong and Riendeau will cut his teeth in the ECHL...but the problem with that is in all likelihood, with that level being what it is, he'll just continue to go out and provide offense, and that's probably what his team will want from him, rather than developing the defensive side and his skating, which is what he'll get in Providence, especially if Paul Vincent works with him as he has done with Adam McQuaid.

There's a good chance that Riendeau never develops into anything more than a fringe NHL player like St. Pierre or Pelletier, but he's Boston's player to work with for the next three years. Should be interesting to see if he can make a go of it, or if he becomes just another Simon Gamache and Yanick Dube- small, immensely productive QMJHL and minor league players who couldn't get it together at the NHL level.

EDIT: Found out today that Paul Vincent is now the Blackhawks' skating coach- no longer doing anything with the Bruins, so Riendeau will have to get help from someone else.

Last edited by Kirk- NEHJ: 05-20-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old
05-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Wonder Boy
2026 Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Are you telling me he's worse than Reul??

Riendeau is a zero-risk prospect...no draft pick, not huge money, so what's not to like? The initial reports on Krejci were that he was a subpar skater as well, and after a couple of summers with a skating coach, his skating is no longer an issue...same for Lucic (Not putting Vinny in their category).

As Kirk said, it probably comes down to how bad the kid wants to play in the NHL. If he can turn himself into an average skater, with his offensive skills, it sounds doable. Personally, I ma hoping that he's one of those people that uses all the naysayers as motivation to get him to the next level. And if it doesn't work out, it's only money and it doesn't count against the Cap.

Most importantly, it's not our money, lol.
Reul is not a signed prospect to the best of my knowledge. He signed an ATO earlier and has already been released. Honestly the guy is a BAD skater....his game reminds of JP Dumont but he is not even close in the skating department and JP is not a good skater himself. The new NHL is a skaters game and Riendeau is far from a skater. If he was in a foot race with Bochenski he would lose badly and that is saying something right there. It all starts with the skating and right now he is not a pro in this department. I could be wrong and he ends up in Providence as Kirk suggests, but I don't want people to look at his stats only and claim he's the second coming.....because clearly he's not.

Most of you have not seen him play yet so I will let you decide on your own when you get the chance. Right now its not pretty.

Old
05-19-2009, 12:20 PM
5 minutes a Knight

I have a hard time believing that this kid is going to be able to keep up with the speed of play in the AHL. Zach Hamill who most agree is average at best to slightly below average in skating has a hard time keeping up, But Hamill's high hockey IQ makes it work, the other thing is he has to beat out a few highly rated guys to make a roster spot and not sure 4th line duty is his calling. Is prospects camp first week in July?

Old
05-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

For the record, Jakes wasn't ever signed either, so bringing up Reul is valid. Just sayin'...

Let's let him show up to development camp and training camp and see how he looks. People are obviously intrigued with him- as you said- let them see him in July and September and I'm sure expectations will be revised accordingly. I sure as hell don't have him in my top-15, but have been glad for the chance to see him on the telly warts and all.

Besides- with the P-Bruins having a few days off before resuming their series, who else is there to talk about?

Old
05-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Eric View Post
I have a hard time believing that this kid is going to be able to keep up with the speed of play in the AHL. Zach Hamill who most agree is average at best to slightly below average in skating has a hard time keeping up, But Hamill's high hockey IQ makes it work, the other thing is he has to beat out a few highly rated guys to make a roster spot and not sure 4th line duty is his calling. Is prospects camp first week in July?
Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Maybe it is best to wait and see how Riendeau looks on the same sheet of ice with the Providence guys before making that judgment, hmmm?

You could be right, but Riendeau's offensive hockey IQ is on par with Hamill's (said one of the Boston guys I talked to recently), so I wouldn't be so quick to demote him. People have been writing him off for several years now, so Riendeau just might surprise.

If he doesn't, who cares? Not like he was a high pick or the team has a lot of capital invested in him.

Old
05-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Wonder Boy
2026 Draft Prospect

Quote:
For the record, Jakes wasn't ever signed either, so bringing up Reul is valid. Just sayin'...

Let's let him show up to development camp and training camp and see how he looks. People are obviously intrigued with him- as you said- let them see him in July and September and I'm sure expectations will be revised accordingly. I sure as hell don't have him in my top-15, but have been glad for the chance to see him on the telly warts and all.

Besides- with the P-Bruins having a few days off before resuming their series, who else is there to talk about?
For the last time I only compared Jakes because the strides are very close. The comment re: Reul - my statement is Reindeau is the worst skater among all SIGNED Bruins prospects. Reul is not a signed prospect. However I will say that Reul is ugly on his feet and is as bad as Riendeau for the record. Hamill is a speedster compared to Riendeau. I agree with Eric that YR will have a heck of a time trying to keep up in the AHL. Hammy Hamill hasn't had the easiest transition and he led the WHL in points in his draft year......using his transition as an example explain why it would be easier for Riendeau who is even worse in the skating department. It just doesn't add up to me but most will need to actually see him to understand what they are trying to talk about. Someone suggested it would be easy to fix because Krejci and Bergeron were able to do it. The situations are WAY different because Riendeau's skating doesn't come close to the skating issues they had back in the day.

Come on Kirk, you have seen the kid and it's not pretty. Sure he has a chance but unless he works his tail off he's a longshot.

Old
05-19-2009, 01:41 PM
newromanceforkids

I saw riendeau play a little bit in the memorial cup and president cup (junior Quebec league) and I can say for sure he his tearing up the league.

He protects the puck really well, he is VERY gritty, he always talks about winning and sacrificing. I like this guy. I wish the Habs had him.

5'11 isn't that bad. the average is what 6' - 6' 1...

and he seem's to have a pretty good pace, i dont know why he is tagged slow. Anyways, bring him to Providence for a year with a Power Skating coach, get him bigger and you have another Quebecois on your team

Old
05-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
For the last time I only compared Jakes because the strides are very close.

Come on Kirk, you have seen the kid and it's not pretty. Sure he has a chance but unless he works his tail off he's a longshot.
Jiri freaking Jakes... I still can't believe you compared him to Jakes.

Hey- reference your last statement- what part of "he's not in my top-15" do you not seem to get, Shane? If that's not classifying someone as a longshot, I don't know what is. So- I'm pretty much agreeing with you, except for the fact that you seem to think he's bound for the ECHL. I'm just of the opinion that he deserves a little more credit for the other elements of his game, which is why he could possibly play in the AHL next season.

If not, not the first time I'd be wrong.

Old
05-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Wonder Boy
2026 Draft Prospect

Kirk,

now that you are back in the USA, are you planning on going to development camp this summer?

If you are, I trust you can give an informed opinion as to whether or not Yannick Riendeau worked on his skating. You can give us an informed opinion on how he measures up overall to the rest of the group.

Lastly, out of all the signed B's prospects, who do you think is the worst skater overall right now?

Thanks Mang!

Old
05-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

It depends on when in July it is.

I have to go on Army TDY to California and Louisiana the weeks of 14-26 JUL, so may not be able to see him until training camp, which I plan on attending.

Old
05-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Wonder Boy
2026 Draft Prospect

Quote:
Jiri freaking Jakes... I still can't believe you compared him to Jakes.

Hey- reference your last statement- what part of "he's not in my top-15" do you not seem to get, Shane? If that's not classifying someone as a longshot, I don't know what is. So- I'm pretty much agreeing with you, except for the fact that you seem to think he's bound for the ECHL. I'm just of the opinion that he deserves a little more credit for the other elements of his game, which is why he could possibly play in the AHL next season.

If not, not the first time I'd be wrong.
Thanks for the clarification. Remember Jakes was a joke and I'm glad you laughed. That was the intent from the beginning. How many other B's forward prospects hunch over like Jakes, Vantuch, Riendeau......how about Jan Kubista if I remember correctly his stride was pretty bad. Anyone else in the last 10 years come to mind?

Old
05-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Hmmm...worst skater.

Probably Adam McQuaid- he has to turn around and skate forwards when the opposition is carrying the puck sometimes before pivoting and facing the puck carrier.

He knows it is still an issue for him, and he's worked on it with Paul Vincent. Didn't see him before, so it's kind of hard for me to determine how far he's come. But he's my pick.

Old
05-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Remember Jakes was a joke and I'm glad you laughed. That was the intent from the beginning. How many other B's forward prospects hunch over like Jakes, Vantuch, Riendeau......how about Jan Kubista if I remember correctly his stride was pretty bad. Anyone else in the last 10 years come to mind?
Darren McLachlan
Anton Hedman

Old
05-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Wonder Boy
2026 Draft Prospect

Quote:
Hmmm...worst skater.

Probably Adam McQuaid- he has to turn around and skate forwards when the opposition is carrying the puck sometimes before pivoting and facing the puck carrier.

He knows it is still an issue for him, and he's worked on it with Paul Vincent. Didn't see him before, so it's kind of hard for me to determine how far he's come. But he's my pick.
I don't think McQuaid is as bad. I remember watching him when he played for the Wolves. He was paired most of the time with Staal, but I thought he moved well for a big man at the time. I think his issues (he had some) are much different than Riendeau's are currently. Thanks for the feedback.

Thinking about that Sudbury team.....McQuaid, Staal, Pouliot, Foligno and Stortini. Musselman was always entertaining. Great young team in 2004-05.

Old
05-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:

Not a Bruin and not in the last 10 years but Gretzky comes to mind. He scored pretty well with that skating style also.

Old
05-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Yes but with Gretzky, where ever the puck was going Gretzky was already waiting for it.

Old
05-19-2009, 06:04 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Thinking about that Sudbury team.....McQuaid, Staal, Pouliot, Foligno and Stortini. Musselman was always entertaining. Great young team in 2004-05.
They were the ones who got in a brawl in Windsor (I think) which cost them a bunch of their best players (including Staal I think) and came into London and beat London for the first time after their 31 game unbeaten streak weren't they?

Old
05-20-2009, 04:06 AM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Quote:
He played in France last season (07-08) and not in his draft year ('06).

Again- sending him to the ECHL isn't likely going to make him a better defensive player or skater. The Bruins currently don't have an affiliate agreement with any ECHL team, so there won't be people in that team/organization working with him while taking Boston's best interests into consideration. This is why it is too easy to declare that his skating isn't AHL caliber and that he needs to go down, when what Riendeau could really use is some tough love and personal attention from Rob Murray, who is clearly continuing the excellent work Scott Gordon did in Providence.

Maybe I'm totally wrong and Riendeau will cut his teeth in the ECHL...but the problem with that is in all likelihood, with that level being what it is, he'll just continue to go out and provide offense, and that's probably what his team will want from him, rather than developing the defensive side and his skating, which is what he'll get in Providence, especially if Paul Vincent works with him as he has done with Adam McQuaid.

There's a good chance that Riendeau never develops into anything more than a fringe NHL player like St. Pierre or Pelletier, but he's Boston's player to work with for the next three years. Should be interesting to see if he can make a go of it, or if he becomes just another Simon Gamache and Yanick Dube- small, immensely productive QMJHL and minor league players who couldn't get it together at the NHL level.
Ah thanks for clarifying, I couldn't find the article where I read this...now I know I wasn't seeing things lol. I never got to see Gamache or Dube play, only started watching the Memorial Cup when I got the NHL network last year, so my knowledge of the CHL is very, very limited. But in the two games I've watched Riendeau he just seems to have that "it" factor. His vision is ridiculous and that goal he scored against Kelowna was just a smart, throw it on the net and see what happens play that for some reason always goes in for guys who score a lot.

I'm really intrigued by this and glad we signed him when we did. I just think it's funny that on the Canadiens board when we signed him a majority of their posters were saying this would amount to nothing. I have a feeling that if they had picked him up it'd be a different story and he'd be hyped up beyond belief.

Closed Thread