Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

vCash: 500
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/..._profil_1.html

Fluto's profile on Mikko Lehtonen.

Sounds like he's got the stuff to me. On a team strapped for cap dollars, a cheap young player like Lehtonen has more of a chance to push for a job in the NHL. Does he challenge for a job in camp next season? Who knows, but he's certainly surpassed a lot of expectations this season.

Old
03-29-2009, 07:08 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Heard on radio: Yannick Riendeau is about to sign a 3 years contract with the Boston Bruins.

Riendeau is an overager in the Q and plays for the Drummondville Voltigeurs. He's a 5'11 and 178 lbs forward. He finished first in goals and in points in the league this year with 58 goals and 68 assists, in 64 games. He's also leading the playoffs right now with 9 goals and 10 assists in 4 games.

Like I said, I have no link, I just heard this news on radio.

Old
03-29-2009, 08:26 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Heard on radio: Yannick Riendeau is about to sign a 3 years contract with the Boston Bruins.

Riendeau is an overager in the Q and plays for the Drummondville Voltigeurs. He's a 5'11 and 178 lbs forward. He finished first in goals and in points in the league this year with 58 goals and 68 assists, in 64 games. He's also leading the playoffs right now with 9 goals and 10 assists in 4 games.

Like I said, I have no link, I just heard this news on radio.
Awesome. Scouting report? Is he your typical undersized, slow-skating OA who rips it up in junior but doesn't amount to anything as a pro or do you figure he's actually got a shot? He's got some pretty awesome numbers.

Old
03-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Good to see them actively scouting and bringing in talent. They found a diamond in the rough with Jeff Penner, so who knows.

Old
03-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Alan Ryan

Riendeau lead the league in the regular season with 126 points and was +38. He had 50 more points than B's draftee Maxime Sauve (19th in scoring).

Riendeau, who will turn 21 in June, plays RW. His centerman Danny Masse was second in league scoring with 110 points. The LW, Mike Hoffman, had 92 points. 328 regular season points from one line is not too shabby.

An interesting pick-up if the radio story is accurate.

Stats: http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_en/index...LeadersGeneral

Last edited by Alan Ryan: 03-29-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old
03-29-2009, 10:38 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

It looks official. French link:

http://www.journalexpress.ca/article...-Riendeau.html

It is written that he's signing tomorrow. He says that the other teams wanted to wait the end of the QMJHL playoffs to sign him, but Boston wanted him now, so he decided to sign with them. It's a two-way contract NHL/AHL. He's expecting to play in Providence next year. Now he wants to prove to Boston that they were right. Drummondville finished first in the league and is the favourite to win the Cup.

Old
03-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Beesfan

Anyone who has 19 points in their first 4 playoff games can play hockey. I'm interested to see how he pans out. Could be a guy like Robbie Schremp or Corey Locke, or he could be a guy like Martin St. Louis. Who knows, but there is no downside.

Old
03-30-2009, 03:12 AM
Alan Ryan

GM Chiarelli on Colborne

From today's Globe:

For the Bruins, there's no rush to convince Joe Colborne, their most recent first-round pick, to leave school after only one year. On Friday, Colborne's freshman season ended when Denver was bounced from the NCAA Tournament by Miami University, 4-2. Colborne scored a power-play goal in the loss. "We're happy with the way he's developing under George Gwozdecky," said Chiarelli. The 19-year-old Colborne scored 10 goals and had 21 assists in 40 games . . .

Old
03-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Riendeau lead the league in the regular season with 126 points and was +38. He had 50 more points than B's draftee Maxime Sauve (19th in scoring).

Riendeau, who will turn 21 in June, plays RW. His centerman Danny Masse was second in league scoring with 110 points. The LW, Mike Hoffman, had 92 points. 328 regular season points from one line is not too shabby.

An interesting pick-up if the radio story is accurate.

Stats: http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_en/index...LeadersGeneral
Although pretty old for the Q I love these types of signings. Skill is skill, period. Guys like Briere were overlooked, waived, etc and he was a big time point producer but lacked other things scouts look for (size, etc).

Old
03-30-2009, 08:42 AM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Sounds like it could be a steal. Prototypical new-NHL.

I also enjoy taking French-Canadian kids out from under the Habs noses .

Next year Providence will be stacked again, and mostly with young talent. Looking very good.

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

Old
03-30-2009, 08:50 AM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
It looks official. French link:

http://www.journalexpress.ca/article...-Riendeau.html

It is written that he's signing tomorrow. He says that the other teams wanted to wait the end of the QMJHL playoffs to sign him, but Boston wanted him now, so he decided to sign with them. It's a two-way contract NHL/AHL. He's expecting to play in Providence next year. Now he wants to prove to Boston that they were right. Drummondville finished first in the league and is the favourite to win the Cup.

Great. Thanks for the link. Drummondville is playing here in Montreal in the second round so I'll head down to Verdun to scout out the newest Bruins prospect.

Old
03-30-2009, 11:08 AM
LordLucic*

Kirk - you talking to Bradford today?? Keep us in the loop

Old
03-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLucic View Post
Kirk - you talking to Bradford today?? Keep us in the loop
That's the plan- but could be tomorrow before I actually link up with him.

Old
03-30-2009, 04:25 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
That's the plan- but could be tomorrow before I actually link up with him.
kirk - count the times brock says the word 'great' during your conversation.

Old
03-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Be nice if he says its going to be "great" to play in Providence this year

Old
03-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Playing phone tag with BB, but did talk to Jeff Penner today. I have to say- he is one of the most honest and direct players I've talked to in a long time. Refreshing. Penner headlines the next Kirk's Call entry coming this weekend.

Old
04-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Bri

I was fortunate enough to be given tickets for a luxury box in Boston last night for the Bruins-Lightning game. Walking back toward my box I saw Brad Marchand walking in the opposite direction. I said hi to him and he said hi back. Since we were both walking in opposite directions and I was pushing my brother-in-law in a wheel chair, neither of us stopped.

Later, I saw him again and I told him I've seen him play in Providence and encouraged him to keep up the good work, yada, yada, yada. He seemed genuinely pleased that I recognized him and said, "Thanks for noticing." I said something like "Hopefully we'll see you up here soon." Big smile and a "Yeah, that would be awesome."

I was standing pretty close to him, he struck me as being pretty darn solid. Seemed like a nice guy too, despite what his opponents may say.

It was nice to meet him...there's not too many P-B's I'd recognize out of uniform, and it was nice to chat with him.

Old
04-01-2009, 11:27 AM
slegr_71
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to slegr_71 Send a message via Yahoo to slegr_71
Regan probably out for rest of season

http://bruinsblog.projo.com/2009/03/...ns-add-oh.html

Quote:
In other news, coach Rob Murray said that goalie Kevin Regan is probably finished for the season with a torn labrum in his hip.

Regan was injured in early March but had recovered enough to play in Sunday's 4-2 loss to Worcester.

After a couple of weeks of rehab, "He got to the point where he felt good enough to play, but, bottom line, there's a difference between a game and a practice,'' Murray said.

Regan was too sore to practice on Monday and Tuesday.

Old
04-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

OK- here's the scoop on Bradford. He's not going to Providence- he's going to finish the semester's coursework, graduate and turn pro this summer. He's not going back for one last kick at the NCAA even though he's got a year of eligibility left, but is opting not to play a few games at the AHL level this spring in favor of staying in school and finishing out strong. He'll be in Washington D.C. next weekend to participate in the NCAA skills competition.

So- there it is. More to follow in a detailed story, but expect him to sign with Boston over the summer and he'll try to make his mark in Providence next season.

Old
04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
So- there it is. More to follow in a detailed story, but expect him to sign with Boston over the summer and he'll try to make his mark in Providence next season.
Question for you Kirk, if you know.

Does Bradford become a Free Agent if he is not signed by the Bruins by a certain date this summer? I thought there was a clause in the current agreement, that said if a kid plays 4 year then he becomes a FS in August after his last year.

I seem to remember to this leading some teams to try and make sure their prospects signed early rather than letting them see their Senior year

Old
04-01-2009, 01:00 PM
djmatty
Single for DET/BOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
I was fortunate enough to be given tickets for a luxury box in Boston last night for the Bruins-Lightning game. Walking back toward my box I saw Brad Marchand walking in the opposite direction. I said hi to him and he said hi back. Since we were both walking in opposite directions and I was pushing my brother-in-law in a wheel chair, neither of us stopped.

Later, I saw him again and I told him I've seen him play in Providence and encouraged him to keep up the good work, yada, yada, yada. He seemed genuinely pleased that I recognized him and said, "Thanks for noticing." I said something like "Hopefully we'll see you up here soon." Big smile and a "Yeah, that would be awesome."

I was standing pretty close to him, he struck me as being pretty darn solid. Seemed like a nice guy too, despite what his opponents may say.

It was nice to meet him...there's not too many P-B's I'd recognize out of uniform, and it was nice to chat with him.
Yeah, I met him, too. He said his brother was in town.

Old
04-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
Question for you Kirk, if you know.

Does Bradford become a Free Agent if he is not signed by the Bruins by a certain date this summer? I thought there was a clause in the current agreement, that said if a kid plays 4 year then he becomes a FS in August after his last year.

I seem to remember to this leading some teams to try and make sure their prospects signed early rather than letting them see their Senior year
You are correct- the Bruins get exclusive negotiating rights with Bradford until August 15 per the CBA. He sounded pretty confident that he was well on his way to making an agreement. He wouldn't come right out and say it, but I would imagine that if Boston had not made their intentions known, he might have taken more of a "wait and see" approach or at the very least, indicated keeping his options open in terms of using his final year of eligibility if he wasn't sure what the future holds for him within the organization.

Here's the excerpt from Article 8 of the NHL CBA that applies to Bradford, who stayed in school all four years after being drafted.

College Players.
(i) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at
the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide
college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in
the Entry Draft, and remains a bona fide college student through
the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the
exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and
including the August 15 following the graduation of his college
class. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to
retain such rights.

Old
04-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Ratty

Thanks, Kirk, for pursuing this story since many of us are interested in his future with the organization; and for clearing up the CBA as it relates to the signing of college players. Again, well done.

Old
04-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Brock

Guys, thoughts on Adam Courchaine from the Dogs/67's series.

Courchaine relieved Chris Perugini in game three of the series and didn't give up the starter spot the rest of the way. He was generally very solid and kept the 67's in some games. He's a big goaltender who likes to challenge shooters and who makes himself big in the net. His rebound control is generally pretty solid. However, his mobility looks somewhat questionable at times, as he appears slow to react to the play. It's hard to find those big, athletic netminders, and if you do, they generally aren't signed as free agents like Courchaine. So he's shown that he has some capabilities at the professional level. I'd expect him to be in the ECHL next year where he can really find his groove and work on some things.

Old
04-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Guys, thoughts on Adam Courchaine from the Dogs/67's series.

Courchaine relieved Chris Perugini in game three of the series and didn't give up the starter spot the rest of the way. He was generally very solid and kept the 67's in some games. He's a big goaltender who likes to challenge shooters and who makes himself big in the net. His rebound control is generally pretty solid. However, his mobility looks somewhat questionable at times, as he appears slow to react to the play. It's hard to find those big, athletic netminders, and if you do, they generally aren't signed as free agents like Courchaine. So he's shown that he has some capabilities at the professional level. I'd expect him to be in the ECHL next year where he can really find his groove and work on some things.
After hearing how bad he was for the 67's last year I was kind of stunned to see how well he played in Providence. Should be a good battle next year for the stating spot, Regan,Courchaine and Hutchinson

Closed Thread