HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Botta:NYI will keep Witt unless overpaid

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2009, 02:10 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

vCash: 500
Bossy was the third highest Goal Per Gamer in the NHL, EVER.

Eveeerrr.

Old
03-03-2009, 02:12 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
You are entiteled to your opinion. I beg to differ. There is no way that those guys aren't top 50, is that real?
I didn't say they weren't top 50, I said they weren't top 10. I forgot to the Isles fans these guys are gods and right up their with Orr, Howe and Gretzky.
To most fans who know hockey, Messier is up their with Orr, Howe and Gretzky and Trots, Bossy and Potvin are a couple of notches below. Great players but not at Mess' level.

Old
03-03-2009, 02:17 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
Thats alot of nothing. Don't even know where to start. Potvin is a *******! He beat his wife, the dog, the mailman, his kids and little puppies. We as Rangers fans will always hate him.
Ahh, now he's a wifebeater again...havin some trouble making up your mind, are ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers
Mess, the goldenboy, is better then any fishie player to ever play hockey. To fishie fans he shoud only be referred to as Mr. Messier. I do love him chocking the crap outta Blake. Never seen that pasty faced midget turn so red. Notice that no one in a fishie uniform dared to go after Mess. They realize he would destoy them. Also, I seem to remember Purinto making hamburger meat outta Jim Cummins' face as well as Dan "The Barbarian" Cloutier pummeling one or your goalies. Can you say turtle?
Have you actually seen the Purinton-Cummins fight? Purinton got a couple good shots at him at the start, then Cummins pounded the crap out of him the rest of the way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMMulWG1eAU

And hey, I actually like Messier and would rather not resort to making a mockery out of his personal life on baseless rumors...unlike, say Theo Fleury who was an absolute trainwreck when he was with the Rangers. Not even Steve Webb, who rattled his brain with an open ice hit, could knock a few screws back in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers
I don't have Dolan's number but maybe if you would pay your cable bill you'd get your service. Anyway, Dolan may not be the best owner but atleast he isn't pressuring his GM to give 20 year contracts to players who are as brittle as china (isn't that where wang is from, btw)?
Wow...that must be alot of people not paying their cable bill since NO ONE who has NHL Center Ice can watch Rangers, Devils, Isles, and Sabres games in HD thanks to Dolan's refusal to cooperate with other cable systems. I guess you can't blame him though...I mean, he's gotta get his money's worth and be able to pay the $30M this season to 4 players...Gomez, Drury, Redden, and Roszival. How's that workin out for ya? They're not exactly tearing it up are they? You guys were doing so good too for that year you didn't overpay for free agents...I guess Dolan lost sight yet again on how to properly run a franchise.

Old
03-03-2009, 02:24 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyPic View Post

Eveeerrr.
Yeah, don't you think that is a little skewed by the fact that he retired when he was what 31 years old? He only played 752 games. Get a clue. At 35 Mess scored 47 goals in the NHL. At 35 Bossy had been retired for 4 years or so. You honestly can't compare the two. Bossy could only do one thing (and he did it well) but that was score goals. Mess could score goals, was a great passer (see his assist totals), could hit and could fight. I don't know how old you are but go back and watch the series in in 85 where Mess destroyed your team. Absolutely undressed the great Dennis Potvin on a great move in game 3 or 4 and took over the series. Only someone who never saw Mess in his prime could compare the two. Your better off trying to compare Mess to Trotts (still no comparison) then you are to Bossy.

Old
03-03-2009, 02:30 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
Ahh, now he's a wifebeater again...havin some trouble making up your mind, are ya?

Have you actually seen the Purinton-Cummins fight? Purinton got a couple good shots at him at the start, then Cummins pounded the crap out of him the rest of the way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMMulWG1eAU

And hey, I actually like Messier and would rather not resort to making a mockery out of his personal life on baseless rumors...unlike, say Theo Fleury who was an absolute trainwreck when he was with the Rangers. Not even Steve Webb, who rattled his brain with an open ice hit, could knock a few screws back in place.

Wow...that must be alot of people not paying their cable bill since NO ONE who has NHL Center Ice can watch Rangers, Devils, Isles, and Sabres games in HD thanks to Dolan's refusal to cooperate with other cable systems. I guess you can't blame him though...I mean, he's gotta get his money's worth and be able to pay the $30M this season to 4 players...Gomez, Drury, Redden, and Roszival. How's that workin out for ya? They're not exactly tearing it up are they? You guys were doing so good too for that year you didn't overpay for free agents...I guess Dolan lost sight yet again on how to properly run a franchise.
Nope, you are right. Potvin is a wife beater. End of discussion. Thanks for clearing that up.

After the Purinton-Cummins fight who was sent out for repairs. Right, Cummins. That was a classic! Actually Gomez, Drury, Redden and Roszival are providing alot more for the money then the karate kid has, right. Hows that one working out for you? How about Doug Weight. He's not doing much of anything either.

Finally, as poorly as the Rangers have been run it still doesn't compare with TWENTY YEARS OF NOT WINNING A PLAYOFF SERIES. How about all those top draft picks? What have they done lately? Again, there are fans of many teams that can come in and laugh about how the Rangers have been run. Fishie fans can't really talk!

Old
03-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah, don't you think that is a little skewed by the fact that he retired when he was what 31 years old? He only played 752 games. Get a clue. At 35 Mess scored 47 goals in the NHL. At 35 Bossy had been retired for 4 years or so. You honestly can't compare the two. Bossy could only do one thing (and he did it well) but that was score goals. Mess could score goals, was a great passer (see his assist totals), could hit and could fight. I don't know how old you are but go back and watch the series in in 85 where Mess destroyed your team. Absolutely undressed the great Dennis Potvin on a great move in game 3 or 4 and took over the series. Only someone who never saw Mess in his prime could compare the two. Your better off trying to compare Mess to Trotts (still no comparison) then you are to Bossy.

This is profoundly stupid discussion that I really don't want to get involved in. However, if you had any credibility in this discussion, it went out the door when you dismissed Bossy's abilities as a playmaker. In his best season, he had 83 assists and he had something like 7 seasons with more than 50 assists.

If you are going to dimiss that kind of performance as weak playmaking, then that would be like saying Messier couldn't score because he managed just one 50 goal season (compared to Bossy who scored more than Messier's career high in his rookie year). That kind of conclusion would be just as ridiculous.

Statistically, Bossy at his best scored a heck of a lot more goals than Messier and was not far behind in assists. Offensively, there is no question who was the better player.

03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
1islefan

Quote:
How about Doug Weight. He's not doing much of anything either.
Well he's managed 35 points in 44 games, compared to your $7mill men with 46 and 41 points in lets just say a lot more games. So to answer your question he's done pretty good. Try again.

Quote:
I don't know how old you are but go back and watch the series in in 85 where Mess destroyed your team.
Ya, he destroyed em alright. That was what, after they won 4 cups straight was it?

Quote:
could hit and could fight.
Dude get a clue will ya. Messier hit & fight. That's the best one out of you thus far.

Quote:
EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEERRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
03-03-2009, 02:54 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
This is profoundly stupid discussion that I really don't want to get involved in. However, if you had any credibility in this discussion, it went out the door when you dismissed Bossy's abilities as a playmaker. In his best season, he had 83 assists and he had something like 7 seasons with more than 50 assists.

If you are going to dimiss that kind of performance as weak playmaking, then that would be like saying Messier couldn't score because he managed just one 50 goal season (compared to Bossy who scored more than Messier's career high in his rookie year). That kind of conclusion would be just as ridiculous.

Statistically, Bossy at his best scored a heck of a lot more goals than Messier and was not far behind in assists. Offensively, there is no question who was the better player.
There is a huge question who was better. Messier was a dominant offensive player. Look what happened time and time again in the playoffs. How many times did Mess score huge goals in the playoffs because of his speed or his shooting. Mess was faster and a better playmaker then Bossy. Bossy was a better scorer. Now you start comparing the physical play of the two and bring in the intangibles and the comparison becomes lopsided. I challenge you to find one NON ISLANDER fan who will tell you that Bossy was a better hockey player than Messier. The stupidity of this discussion is beyond reason. I'll start with the Hockey News top 50 players of all time that clearly state that Mess was a better player. Your turn!

Old
03-03-2009, 02:59 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1islefan View Post
Well he's managed 35 points in 44 games, compared to your $7mill men with 46 and 41 points in lets just say a lot more games. So to answer your question he's done pretty good. Try again.

Ya, he destroyed em alright. That was what, after they won 4 cups straight was it?

Dude get a clue will ya. Messier hit & fight. That's the best one out of you thus far.

EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEERRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Darn you really have no clue. Before coming to the Rangers Messier was one of the most feared physical players in the league. He wasn't a great fighter but in his early years he was more than willing. As to hitting go do some research. Go find the article where Keenan states that in the Chicago-Edmonton series he manhandled the Chicago team by himself. Keenan said something to the effect that his team was scared of Messier during that series. Go talk to Dana Murzyn who got destroyed by a vicious body check in the Calgary-Edmonton series. Go talk to Scott Stevens who got leveled by a vicious Messier hit early in game 6 of the Rangers-Devils series. Go see what Tim Hunter and Joel Otto had to say about playing against Mess. Finally, go see what the wife beater had to say after that series in 85 where Messier dominated the Isles. Again, if you don't know then stop posting cause you are now looking really stoooooopppppiiiiiiiiddddd!

Old
03-03-2009, 02:59 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Quote:
OK, time and time again Messier has been mentioned by many as one of the best players to ever play the game. Much better than Trots, much better than Bossy and much better than Potvin. A couple of years back the Hockey News had a rating of the top 50 players. Mess was in the top 10. Don't believe that Trots, Bossy or Potvin where near that level. Theres alot of opinions going back and forth on this thread. The one fact is that Mess was certainly better than any player to ever play for the Isles and probably one of the top players to ever play the game!
Yes the true home grown talent, that brought the rangers 1 single cup in 10 years with the team.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:03 PM
VHC

Send a message via AIM to VHC

Cry, cry, cry it out, Matt the Rat.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:15 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

He Cried? HE ****ING CRIED????

ahahahhahahah

Old
03-03-2009, 03:20 PM
1islefan

Quote:
Again, if you don't know then stop posting cause you are now looking really stoooooopppppiiiiiiiiddddd!
What is it that I don't know? What is it that makes me look stupid?

One thing I do know is that you obviously have a BIG hard on for Mess. Knowing who he hit, when he hit them, this guy was scared of him, that team feared him, he could pass, he could score, hit, fight, etc... yadda, yadda, yaddaaaaaa.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:23 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

We look stupid and you're from Jersey City.

I'd rather be dumb, pretty, and in Brooklyn then King of Jersey City.

Whats a matter? Trenton, Newark, and Camden in too high a tax bracket?

(In case you didn't knows folks, those are 4 of the highest ten murder per capita cities in the US. I love you, Dirty Jersey.)

Old
03-03-2009, 03:23 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1islefan View Post
What is it that I don't know? What is it that makes me look stupid?

One thing I do know is that you obviously have a BIG hard on for Mess. Knowing who he hit, when he hit them, this guy was scared of him, that team feared him, he could pass, he could score, hit, fight, etc... yadda, yadda, yaddaaaaaa.
Yep, your right. I know more about hockey then you do. Sorry, I thought this was a hockey board. Why don't you run back home to mommy and daddy and tell them what an educational day you had in school.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
There is a huge question who was better. Messier was a dominant offensive player. Look what happened time and time again in the playoffs. How many times did Mess score huge goals in the playoffs because of his speed or his shooting. Mess was faster and a better playmaker then Bossy. Bossy was a better scorer. Now you start comparing the physical play of the two and bring in the intangibles and the comparison becomes lopsided. I challenge you to find one NON ISLANDER fan who will tell you that Bossy was a better hockey player than Messier. The stupidity of this discussion is beyond reason. I'll start with the Hockey News top 50 players of all time that clearly state that Mess was a better player. Your turn!
You are missing the point. The comparison itself is stupid, particularly since you probably did not see either guy play in his prime (I did, btw).

Bossy was a great goal scorer,and elite playmaker, and an underrated defensive player. He was probably the most natural scorer I've ever seen play the game. From the goalline, I don't think the game has ever seen a deadlier scorer.

Messier was a fearsome two-way player, and one of the greatest leaders ever. I still remember that defiant glare of his as he came down the ice. He was one of the most complete players I've ever seen as well. He combined physical play, offensive abilities, and defensive acumen with a fierce disposition to dominate the opposition.

Which one was better? Who cares. Its pointless discussion. Different kinds of player, who had different roles. But, both were among the all time and greats and both had impressive collections of Stanley Cup rings. But, again, since you probably didn't watch either in their prime, you are obviously just extrapolating from record books.

Oh, and one last point, anybody who cites a list in the Hockey news as evidence of anything is not to be taken seriously.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:28 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyPic View Post
We look stupid and you're from Jersey City.

I'd rather be dumb, pretty, and in Brooklyn then King of Jersey City.

Whats a matter? Trenton, Newark, and Camden in too high a tax bracket?

(In case you didn't knows folks, those are 4 of the highest ten murder per capita cities in the US. I love you, Dirty Jersey.)
Can't talk hockey so now you want to talk real estate. That's funny!!! Look I'd rather own a brownstone or two in Jersey City then live with mommy and daddy in Brooklyn. Amazing going from one topic which you know nothing about to another that you know even less.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:29 PM
cjdv16

Jimmy-boom-bats iz da ranju fan uf da yeaa.

Can you say ass-clown?

I know you can.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:31 PM
cjdv16

Enough guys. Let's talk current state instead of living in the past.

Isles are on the cusp of landing John Tavares. Rangers are on the cusp of ending up 9th overall in the East.

Happy day for me.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:37 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
You are missing the point. The comparison itself is stupid, particularly since you probably did not see either guy play in his prime (I did, btw).

Bossy was a great goal scorer,and elite playmaker, and an underrated defensive player. He was probably the most natural scorer I've ever seen play the game. From the goalline, I don't think the game has ever seen a deadlier scorer.

Messier was a fearsome two-way player, and one of the greatest leaders ever. I still remember that defiant glare of his as he came down the ice. He was one of the most complete players I've ever seen as well. He combined physical play, offensive abilities, and defensive acumen with a fierce disposition to dominate the opposition.

Which one was better? Who cares. Its pointless discussion. Different kinds of player, who had different roles. But, both were among the all time and greats and both had impressive collections of Stanley Cup rings. But, again, since you probably didn't watch either in their prime, you are obviously just extrapolating from record books.

Oh, and one last point, anybody who cites a list in the Hockey news as evidence of anything is not to be taken seriously.

Wrong again, Darth. I watched Espo and the big bad Bruins play long before Bossy was in the league. You should go back and reread the thread. One of the Isles fans made the point that Mess wasn't as good as Bossy or Trotts. That is ludicrous. Bossy was a very gifted goal scorer. You say he was the most natural goal scorer you'd ever seen. I say Guy Lafluer was better. I say that Pavel Bure was better. However, neither were better players then Bossy. At the same time, Mess was a better hockey player then Bossy. Other than Gordie Howe he was the most complete player the NHL ever saw. Anyway, I saw both. I saw Bossy score some great goals. I saw Mess score some great goals. In the end if I was building a team and had to chose either Mess or Bossy the choice is easy. Question to you. You had to chose either player for one game in the playoffs. Who would it be??

Also, if you are a serious hockey fan then you will remember that in the 80's and 90's The Hockey News was a great publication. Its suffered alot in recent years but for you to make that last statement makes me wonder if you ever even read the mag.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:40 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

Quote:
Can't talk hockey so now you want to talk real estate. That's funny!!! Look I'd rather own a brownstone or two in Jersey City then live with mommy and daddy in Brooklyn. Amazing going from one topic which you know nothing about to another that you know even less.
We need a fap emoticon desperately.

See Ya Thursday.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:54 PM
1islefan

OK JerseyGirl, I give, your right, I'm wrong. I'll now go back to mommy and daddy and tell them what I learned in school, just like you said. In the mean time, you can go back to your room and stroke yourself in front of your life sized Messier poster It's been fun, Thanks!

Old
03-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
OK, time and time again Messier has been mentioned by many as one of the best players to ever play the game. Much better than Trots, much better than Bossy and much better than Potvin.
Only thing more unseemly than a teenager prancing around in his team color PJs, with a player poster hanging over his bed...is a 40-something doing the same.

"My hero is better than your players!" Much better!

Old
03-03-2009, 04:01 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
In all honesty, I like Witt. He's a good hard-nosed player. If Hagman recovers and doesn't have concussion problems I doubt I'll even remember the incident. There is, of course, a chance that he's never the same player. If thats the case then I'm going to be forced to hate Witt forever and hope that someone gets retribution. I don't buy all of that "Hagman shouldn't of picked up his head and stepped back" B.S.. Shouldn't blame the victim, after all. Doesn't matter if he played as soft as Kyle Wellwood for the rest of his career, there is no excuse for such blatant hits to the head, and he will forever be deemed a dirty player, in my mind, because of it.

P.S.- I'm loving the Islander-Ranger fan conflict on this thread. Although, the way things are looking this season, it's kind of like two sumo wrestlers making fun of each others weight. (Leafs aren't much better).
sarcastic face meant i was kidding about the picking his head up...obviously youre taught to skate with your head up to avoid being railed...there is zero blame on hagman imo

Old
03-03-2009, 04:05 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Dude, if he didn't retire that early he would had MORE GOALS in his career. Sorry, but Bossy may arguably one of the best snipers in NHL history.

Closed Thread