HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Will the Bruins make it to the Stanley Cup Finals?

View Poll Results: Will the Bruins make it to the Stanley Cup Finals?
Yes. NJ, MTL and WSH aren't that great 22 19.47%
No. They will choke as usual 91 80.53%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFboarder View Post
Yes or no.
Must be a Habs fan, seems pretty insecure.

The way the answers are worded, isn't this a baiting thread? Pretty much damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If you think Boston will make the finals it doesn't necessarily mean you think NJ and Washington are **** (I left out Montreal, they aren't even guaranteed a playoff spot and have no business in this conversation).

One of Boston, Jersey, or the Caps will make the finals. All are great teams with the ability to knock each other off. I hope Boston makes the finals, but I'm not naive enough to think it would be a walk in the park to get there.

Last edited by Kaoz: 03-03-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

If they stay healthy I think they will. Although NJ is probably just as good as Boston.

(I didn't vote)

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 10:33 AM
SpezDispenser

Didn't like the 'choke' option. I'm not saying they're gonna choke, but I do think the Devils will win the East as they can adapt to any game the opposition wants to play.

Well played Lou...what more can you say?

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
I love how this idiot lumps MTL in with the elite teams in the east.

Classic.
Out of the current top 5, only Philly was left out (which is kinda screwed... they have a great team, goaltending aside), and Montreal has the reputation as Bruins killers.

Your reply... predictable.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 03-03-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Must be a Habs fan, seems pretty insecure.

The way the answers are worded, isn't this a baiting thread? Pretty much damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If you think Boston will make the finals it doesn't necessarily mean you think NJ and Washington are **** (I left out Montreal, they aren't even guaranteed a playoff spot and have no business in this conversation).

One of Boston, Jersey, or the Caps will make the finals. All are great teams with the ability to knock each other off. I hope Boston makes the finals, but I'm not naive enough to think it would be a walk in the park to get there.
Wow. Your typical impartiality is disappearing by the day. Ottawa (4th seed) makes it to the Cup finals in '07, Edmonton makes it (8th seed) in '06, Calgary (6th seed) in '04, Anaheim (7th seed) in '03... Yup, that's every year (except last year) that one of the Cup finalists came from lower than the 3rd seed since 2002/03.

edit: And in fact, only two #1 seeds (Detroit and TB) have made it in that time frame.
(end edit)

So, no one sitting in the top 5 (or worse... Habs sitting in 5th right now) seeds deserves to be in the conversation... ever. Especially the Habs...

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 03-03-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old
03-03-2009, 11:26 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

This is one of the best Bruins teams I've seen in some time, with an excellent coach and system. The only problem is that NJ just got back a fully rested Brodeur and that spells trouble for every team in the East.

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Wow. Your typical impartiality is disappearing by the day. Ottawa (4th seed) makes it to the Cup finals in '07, Edmonton makes it (8th seed) in '06, Calgary (6th seed) in '04, Anaheim (7th seed) in '03... Yup, that's every year (except last year) that one of the Cup finalists came from lower than the 3rd seed since 2002/03.

So, no one sitting in the top 5 (or worse... Habs sitting in 5th right now) seeds deserves to be in the conversation... ever. Especially the Habs...
Then why not mention Philly and every team fighting for a playoff spot? Why just Montreal included with the top 3? Cause the OP is a Habs fan.

Yes, my impartiality is going the way of the Dodo... you know as well as I that many of your less then exemplary posting community are obnoxious as hell, and HFboarder should be a poster boy for them. Quite frankly if they want to start whining about the Bruins every day and making up BS polls, why should we pull any punches when discussing their team, as long as we aren't delving into the realm of fiction.

There's an 18 point gap between Boston and Montreal, 10 between the Habs and the other two. 6 between them and Buffalo. Right now, they're closer to not making the playoffs then they are to overtaking one of the top 3.

You see any Bruins fans creating polls asking if the Habs will even make the playoffs? Hell, one only need to look at the way the answers are worded to realize the OP's intent. You have issue with me calling him on it? You're a Bruins fan and you choose "Yes", the answer says you think the other teams in the East aren't very good. You choose "no" and you're saying your team will choke?

As for my comment, the Habs quite simply haven't been on par with the three teams mentioned. Truth. Sure they may find success in the playoffs, anyone can, but that has no bearing when I say they don't belong in this particular conversation. Sure I may have been overly harsh, but what can you do?

Quote:
Out of the current top 5, only Philly was left out (which is kinda screwed... they have a great team, goaltending aside), and Montreal has the reputation as Bruins killers.

Your reply... predictable.
Only by Canadian fans.

Boston has made up for their early inability to beat the Habs. Recent history has been far more even.

1987-88 Adams Division Final Boston 4-1
1988-89 Adams Division Final Montreal 4-1
1989-90 Adams Division Final Boston 4-1
1990-91 Adams Division Final Boston 4-3
1991-92 Adams Division Final Boston 4-0
1993-94 Eastern Quarterfinal Boston 4-3
2001-02 Eastern Quarterfinal Montreal 4-2
2003-04 Eastern Quarterfinal Montreal 4-3
2007-08 Eastern Quarterfinal Montreal 4-3

Last edited by Kaoz: 03-03-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old
03-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Washington Capitals

Ah, I don't think so

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Then why not mention Philly and every team fighting for a playoff spot? Why just Montreal included with the top 3? Cause the OP is a Habs fan.
I think, in typical Bruins fan fashion, you smelled a Habs fan and just turned ferile. Sure, he COULD have mentioned some other teams, but 4 of the top 5 are here for discussion. Did you happen to notice that the OP didn't even vote in this poll? Maybe he WAS just throwing it out there for the other fanbases to vote. I wouldn't have expected the benefit of the doubt from you guys anyway. Again, predictable in the ferocity of the response.

Quote:
Yes, my impartiality is going the way of the Dodo... you know as well as I that many of your less then exemplary posting community are obnoxious as hell, and HFboarder should be a poster boy for them. Quite frankly if they want to start whining about the Bruins every day and making up BS polls, why should we pull any punches when discussing their team, as long as we aren't delving into the realm of fiction.

There's an 18 point gap between Boston and Montreal, 10 between the Habs and the other two. 6 between them and Buffalo. Right now, they're closer to not making the playoffs then they are to overtaking one of the top 3.
Fair enough. In fact, we can add this PuckheadXX (recently spewing about how Brodeur isn't a great goalie... I mean, come on) guy to the list. Whatever. Those are a few guys out of a large, large majority.

But if you want to get into whining, etc, a poll was started on your board specifically asking to leave the Habs OUT of the equation, and then page after page after page of ONLY Habs related hate comes out. That's some serious pot/kettle action, if you ask me.

And about the fiction and closer to fiction stuff, given the number of home games left, the actual match ups remaining, and the apparent end to the MOMENTARY SLUMP of the Habs, there is no reason to discredit a team currently in the 5th spot with so few games remaining as you guys are attempting to do. It is seriously beyond predictable, it's getting sad. You're not elevating yourselves above our idiots by doing so... at least in the eyes of this humble (yet occasionally homer... and currently buzzed) poster.

Quote:
You see any Bruins fans creating polls asking if the Habs will even make the playoffs? Hell, one only need to look at the way the answers are worded to realize the OP's intent. You have issue with me calling him on it? You're a Bruins fan and you choose "Yes", the answer says you think the other teams in the East aren't very good. You choose "no" and you're saying your team will choke?

As for my comment, the Habs quite simply haven't been on par with the three teams mentioned. Truth. Sure they may find success in the playoffs, anyone can, but that has no bearing when I say they don't belong in this particular conversation. Sure I may have been overly harsh, but what can you do?
Well, in short, occasionally take that high road that you guys always claim to take (or would have the rest of the HF community believe) but never do. I mean, at least once.

Quote:
Only by Canadian fans.

Boston has made up for their early inability to beat the Habs. Recent history has been far more even.

2007-08 Eastern Quarterfinal Montreal 4-3
Well, I'm a little high, and have been given a few tequila shots at my friend's b-day bash (weeknights mean nothing here, by the way), but my definition of recent only extends back to the lock-out nowadays. And your poster population's memory (on the whole... pardon the blanket statement) doesn't seem to extend much farther back than that anyway... so let the mind games play out as they may.

Old
03-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Devil Dancer

Since this poll is basically Boston v. the field, I easily pick the field. No offense to the Bs, who are great this year, but I'll almost always pick the field. Besides, my top pick to go to the finals right now is NJ.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:30 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

the '09 Bruins ARE the '08 Canadiens.

They'll choke the same way.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:33 PM
TheRealThornton22

I think there one player away. That doesn't mean they couldn't as constituted right now. Fla/Buff/Pitt/Car are the most likely 1st round opponents and they have handled those teams pretty well except for Buffalo (the loss to Fla was vokoun standing on his head).
The 2nd round will most likely be mtl/philly This will be a good series but i think the Bruins will win in 6 esp if they add another top 4 def. I dont think Biron will be as good as he was last year in the playoffs.. and Price (if he plays) has sturggled this year if Halak plays he cant stop 40+ shots a game forever.

The ECF will be an epic series no matter what. Boston has played Wash/Nj to 1 goal games (except 1 en) all season long. If Bos add pronger of another top 4 defense I think there able to shut down (as much as you can shut down ovy) washington's offense. Ovechkin has struggled with Chara and moved to Charas opposite side and that where he's scored his goals against Boston. If Prongers over there he wont have the same successes he's had against Ward. If NJ get there it will be a very deffensive sereis. These teams have played afew 1-0 games. Adding Brodeur will help alot but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade he can be over Clemmenson esp w/ the way Clemmenson played for them. Brodeur has stuggled a little bit the past few years in the po's. This series could go either way.

Can Boston get to the finals yes, but it will be a real tough road

TheRealThornton22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:35 PM
HFboarder*

Quote:
1928-29 Semifinal Boston 3-0
1929-30 Final Montreal 2-0
1930-31 Semifinal Montreal 3-2

1942-43 Semifinal Boston 4-1
1945-46 Final Montreal 4-1
1946-47 Semifinal Montreal 4-1
1951-52 Semifinal Montreal 4-3
1952-53 Final Montreal 4-1
1953-54 Semifinal Montreal 4-0
1954-55 Semifinal Montreal 4-1
1956-57 Final Montreal 4-1
1957-58 Final Montreal 4-2
1967-68 Quarterfinal Montreal 4-0
1968-69 Semifinal Montreal 4-2
1970-71 Quarterfinal Montreal 4-3
1976-77 Final Montreal 4-0
1977-78 Final Montreal 4-2
1978-79 Semifinal Montreal 4-3
1983-84 Adams Division Semifinal Montreal 3-0
1984-85 Adams Division Semifinal Montreal 3-2
1985-86 Adams Division Semifinal Montreal 3-0

2007-08 Eastern Quarterfinal Montreal 4-
Fixed.

HFboarder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:36 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Nope. Florida is going to shock a lot of people.

Quote:
Fixed.
Do you not know what "recent history" means.

Oh wait, ur a Habz fan, lulz. Recent history to you means World War I.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Davebo
beep beep

I love how the default 'ruins reaction is to instantly blame the Habs...

We're in your heads - futzing your cup chances...

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:41 PM
HFboarder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
Do you not know what "recent history" means.
You might ask Kaoz first.

Old
03-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
You might ask Kaoz first.
Well it doesn't mean 100 years ago now does it? Look up recent. It will help.

The results of the 1928 playoffs have little to do with the 2009 playoffs now do they.

Technically, the 2008 playoffs have nothing to do with the 2009 playoffs either, but I know how heavily you Habs fans rely on history to make yourselves feel better. I didn't want anyone jumping off a bridge.

Old
03-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Lifer View Post
And what has Montreal done to be able to be mentioned with NJ and WSH as the other top teams of the East?
well we beat the crap out of whoever ''super elite'' Bruins team sent to us in playoff

Rscorpio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

Classic.
I don't know, to go something like 4-11-1 and still hold a playoff spot, is pretty good. To have star players either out for periods of time, or slumping and still win is pretty good. To beat Philadelphia and San Jose on back to back nights, that's pretty good...

Boston has the same chance as any other Eastern Conference team to make it there.

Even funnier is, Bruins fans disregard the " No Devils are better" and just focus in on the comments about the habs

Hey guys, whatever allows you to pat yourselves on the back. Here I thought the majority of Bruins fans had more self control...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:56 PM
HFboarder*

Quote:

Classic.
Mods plz...

Old
03-03-2009, 12:57 PM
gsx capsfan

Send a message via AIM to gsx capsfan Send a message via Yahoo to gsx capsfan
No, not that the B's will choke, but I think NJ comes out of the east. They finally have a very potent offense that can support the best goalie in the league.

NJ will be very scary come the playoffs.

gsx capsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
I think, in typical Bruins fan fashion, you smelled a Habs fan and just turned ferile. Sure, he COULD have mentioned some other teams, but 4 of the top 5 are here for discussion. Did you happen to notice that the OP didn't even vote in this poll? Maybe he WAS just throwing it out there for the other fanbases to vote. I wouldn't have expected the benefit of the doubt from you guys anyway. Again, predictable in the ferocity of the response.
Nah dude, it had everything to do with the way the poll was worded and the posting history of the OP. I honestly couldn't care less if he voted in it, his intent isn't to win a poll because really, what does that mean. His intent is to stir up **** as per usual, and insult the Bruins in any way he can.

Again, read your choices and tell me if you think this poll was created with any other intention.

Quote:
Fair enough. In fact, we can add this PuckheadXX (recently spewing about how Brodeur isn't a great goalie... I mean, come on) guy to the list. Whatever. Those are a few guys out of a large, large majority.
All shapes and sizes dude, all shapes and sizes.

Quote:
But if you want to get into whining, etc, a poll was started on your board specifically asking to leave the Habs OUT of the equation, and then page after page after page of ONLY Habs related hate comes out. That's some serious pot/kettle action, if you ask me.
Notice the part I bolded? And if its the same poll I'm thinking of, the OP is asking what teams you would rather face then the Habs. So of course, they wouldn't be in the poll.

Quote:
And about the fiction and closer to fiction stuff, given the number of home games left, the actual match ups remaining, and the apparent end to the MOMENTARY SLUMP of the Habs, there is no reason to discredit a team currently in the 5th spot with so few games remaining as you guys are attempting to do. It is seriously beyond predictable, it's getting sad. You're not elevating yourselves above our idiots by doing so... at least in the eyes of this humble (yet occasionally homer... and currently buzzed) poster.
I'm looking at current standings, and current performances. This isn't the first time the Habs have strung together some good games this season. If it were I wouldn't have said they had issues with consistency, I would have said they just suck

Quote:
Well, in short, occasionally take that high road that you guys always claim to take (or would have the rest of the HF community believe) but never do. I mean, at least once.
I probably should, but always have trouble when presented with ridiculousness such as this. At least I haven't resorted to making polls laced with insult towards your team yet.

Quote:
Well, I'm a little high, and have been given a few tequila shots at my friend's b-day bash (weeknights mean nothing here, by the way), but my definition of recent only extends back to the lock-out nowadays. And your poster population's memory (on the whole... pardon the blanket statement) doesn't seem to extend much farther back than that anyway... so let the mind games play out as they may.
The Bruins have sucked since the lockout. And both teams have only met once in the playoffs once since that time (05-06 1st rnd exit for the Habs, no show for the B's; 06-07 neither makes it; 07-08 seven game series) and during that series an overmatched Bruins squad took the Habs to 7 games.

I wouldn't rely on history since the lockout to determine who has a better chance this season.

Old
03-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Jaded-Fan

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:09 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

They have a good chance. I think the first series will determine their chances. If they get shocked early, before they get rolling, it could be an early exit, but if they get through, and are pushed a bit along the way they will be charging by the second round. NJ has a bit better goalie, but the Bruins have a better team in front.
If they make a deal before the deadline as I expect, that makes it even more likely. NJ chose not to add an impact player and I think that will haunt them.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Mods plz...
Just hit that little repot post button cat. I'm sure the mods will overlook the baiting poll you created. Or maybe not.