HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers at Predators: A Rin and Mowzie Joint Production

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2009, 03:02 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Honest. All them players arent better options?? Based on what? Its all based on Mact getting a favorite some much deserved ice time. I dont have a problem with that when we arent playing the most important games of the season.

Funny you say for 5 on 5. The favortism is beyond 5 vs 5 because Reddox got pp time on the first unit last game.

Horrible coaching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Nilsson - only if its a showcase, Rowbear and Penner both dont seem to be able to bring IT.
MAP - Are you for real?
COgs and Gags - Centers and much better there
Cole - been there tried that, didnt work
Reddox - 2 points last game with 2 great 1st assists, and is good in his own zone.

For 5 on 5 play right now with the current roster Reddox is clearly the best option.

If Penner comes out in the first period balls out then sure toss him back on the first line where he should be.
If Penner plays like its the most important game of the year then MacT should play him on the top line. If he continues to play like its a preseason inter-squad game then MacT has to do what is best for the team and that is to sit his lazy a$$.

Maybe Lowebellinni can get off there buts and get Hemsky a true #1 LWer

Old
03-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Staypuft

Quote:
Honest. All them players arent better options?? Based on what? Its all based on Mact getting a favorite some much deserved ice time. I dont have a problem with that when we arent playing the most important games of the season.

Funny you say for 5 on 5. The favortism is beyond 5 vs 5 because Reddox got pp time on the first unit last game.

Horrible coaching.
I love how it's horrible coaching because you say it's horrible coaching.
Wouldn't it be better to see the results of tonight's game before you start spouting off?
Reddox was a huge part of the victory on Saturday, why?
Because MacT put him in a situation to succeed.
Horrible coaching?
If you say so.
Fact is, the Oilers won the game.

The thing I like about MacT, is he's not so stubborn that he'll keep Reddox with Horcoff and Hemsky through the game, if Penner actually brings something to the table, he'll be back up there.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:07 PM
GMofOilers

Reddox 5 vs 5
QualComp Corsi GFOn GAOn
.03 -19.5 12 16

Penner

QualComp Corsi GFon GAon
0.04 8.8 31 24

Dam who would I rather have on the ice at a 5 on 5 situation with 20 games left fighting for the last playoff spot. Your answer will clearly tell me how smart you are. Choose wisley.

I could post Nilsson's #'s also.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:09 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuft View Post
I love how it's horrible coaching because you say it's horrible coaching.
Wouldn't it be better to see the results of tonight's game before you start spouting off?
Reddox was a huge part of the victory on Saturday, why?
Because MacT put him in a situation to succeed.
Horrible coaching?
If you say so.
Fact is, the Oilers won the game.

The thing I like about MacT, is he's not so stubborn that he'll keep Reddox with Horcoff and Hemsky through the game, if Penner actually brings something to the table, he'll be back up there.
You didnt notice? Mact put Reddox in that situation after the game was already won. Thats what he does. Makes players look good after the fact so he can sell to blind fans the next game bull ****.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:10 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
If Penner plays like its the most important game of the year then MacT should play him on the top line. If he continues to play like its a preseason inter-squad game then MacT has to do what is best for the team and that is to sit his lazy a$$.

Maybe Lowebellinni can get off there buts and get Hemsky a true #1 LWer
You know the sad part is. As bad as Penner looks he still gets more accomplished than a hard working Reddox. Its a fact. Penner helps this team win more than Reddox.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:15 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
You didnt notice? Mact put Reddox in that situation after the game was already won. Thats what he does. Makes players look good after the fact so he can sell to blind fans the next game bull ****.
I could of swore that it was Reddox who set up the GWG last game

That game wasnt won until Moreau got clipped with almost no time left.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:16 PM
RKD

Quote:
Reddox 5 vs 5
QualComp Corsi GFOn GAOn
.03 -19.5 12 16

Penner

QualComp Corsi GFon GAon
0.04 8.8 31 24

Dam who would I rather have on the ice at a 5 on 5 situation with 20 games left fighting for the last playoff spot. Your answer will clearly tell me how smart you are. Choose wisley.

I could post Nilsson's #'s also.
If Reddox plays like he did on Saturday and likewise for Penner, Reddox is the easy choice for me.

Having said that. Penner, when he's on his game, is the best option we have for that position. Tonight I hope he starts there because we need him to be effective right now. But if things turn south like they did on the weekend, he'd be riding pine or playing limited minutes on the 4th line if it were up to me.

03-03-2009, 03:22 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
If Reddox plays like he did on Saturday and likewise for Penner, Reddox is the easy choice for me.

Having said that. Penner, when he's on his game, is the best option we have for that position. Tonight I hope he starts there because we need him to be effective right now. But if things turn south like they did on the weekend, he'd be riding pine or playing limited minutes on the 4th line if it were up to me.
Thats how this whole argument started. Reddox is starting there not Penner. That is my point. There are better options.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:25 PM
RKD

Quote:
Thats how this whole argument started. Reddox is starting there not Penner. That is my point. There are better options.
It is the wrong move. But I still wouldn't be surprised to see Penner there before too long (hence my previous post). Reddox has seen "top line" time before, and it wasn't uncommon to see others play a few shifts up there at some point during the game - especially early when everyone is getting worked into the game.

We'll get a good indication of where Penner is in MacT's doghouse when we see who's out on the PP.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:27 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:

my question is it worth putting Hemmer and Horc with a huge anchor like Penner for half the game tonight if he plays like he did on saturday?

I think he has to earn those minutes. Reddox earned the chance based on his play Saturday. If Penner earns that ice time back then put him up on the first line.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:32 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
my question is it worth putting Hemmer and Horc with a huge anchor like Penner for half the game tonight if he plays like he did on saturday?

I think he has to earn those minutes. Reddox earned the chance based on his play Saturday. If Penner earns that ice time back then put him up on the first line.
My point again. Deserving and Proven is the difference between in and out of the playoffs. 40 mintues of a year is not Proven enough in the most important part of the season. Start and the Middle of the season I have no argument. Right now I do. IMO.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:32 PM
RKD

Quote:
No. That's why I believe you start him there and evaluate his game in the first ten minutes or so. If it's not working, get him off the line.

Quote:
That's a valid point. In most cases you would have to earn the minutes. Right now I just think that the points are too important to be experimenting with things. Who knows - Penner might come out tonight and have the game of his career (unlikely, but you never know). That's why I feel he should start there because he is the best option, when he's on his game. But like I said before, they would need to judge his game early and not wait half the game to make a decision.

At the same time, Reddox could come out and have a repeat performance from Saturday. I never question his work ethic, but offensive results won't be coming as frequent as they did on the weekend - at least, I don't think so.

But hey, I'm not the coach. We'll see how things work out tonight.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:50 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Quote:
Ok. We are game 63 now? I can see this kinda stuff....deserving at the start or middle of the season but at the playoff push. Results are what matters. Reddox has proved nothing, and never should of been on the pp in the playoff push. Penner well totally oposite.

Saying he did tells me everything I need to know.

This is the kinda stuff that makes this team struggle for the playoffs year in and out. Same thing happened last year. The year before. The year before that.
Penner and Results should never be used together

Old
03-03-2009, 03:52 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew View Post
Ok

Reddox and Results can be than.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:

At the same time, Reddox could come out and have a repeat performance from Saturday. I never question his work ethic, but offensive results won't be coming as frequent as they did on the weekend - at least, I don't think so.

But hey, I'm not the coach. We'll see how things work out tonight.
The thing Ryan, and we've seen it this year, just because Reddox is working hard, doesn't mean he will stay on with Horcoff and Hemsky, Mac-T is married to that, he will go to someone else, say Cole, Gagner, Pisani(even) or even Penner, if they are showing something offensively, but right now he needs someone who isn't going to be a black hole out there, and Reddox, though he may lack skill, will do everything to win, which is more then you can say about Penner.

It should be on Penner to show he's better and deserves the icetime, not just should get it because of physical abilities.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:55 PM
oilerdiehard16

The fact is, MacT has always been and always will be a performance/reward type coach. If you play with effort, you'll be rewarded with ice time. Now who would you want out in crucial playoff type games down the stretch? A guy that busts his *** every night or a guy that decides to show up once in a while? What kind of goal do you think is going to win a close game that both teams are desperately trying to win? I would put my money on the guy who is giving it his all the entire game. He may not have the skill-set of Penner, but sometimes the will to win and do whatever it takes to win is more important.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:56 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Quote:
Ok

Reddox and Results can be than.
he's just as bad.Jacques is a point a game player this year let's try him.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Everest

Preds are going to play exactly the kind of hockey that has eaten the Oilers lunch all year long. Filthy...in your face...finish every hit...even if its late...greasy....2nd efforts everytime....we know the drill by now.

Old
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
lol, they, the NHL, took that assist away.

Old
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerdiehard16 View Post
The fact is, MacT has always been and always will be a performance/reward type coach. If you play with effort, you'll be rewarded with ice time. Now who would you want out in crucial playoff type games down the stretch? A guy that busts his *** every night or a guy that decides to show up once in a while? What kind of goal do you think is going to win a close game that both teams are desperately trying to win? I would put my money on the guy who is giving it his all the entire game. He may not have the skill-set of Penner, but sometimes the will to win and do whatever it takes to win is more important.
As proven in the last 2 years of not making the playoffs you have to go with performance/reward type coaching.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:58 PM
RKD

Quote:
But of those results, it's the best we have:

Penner: 14 goals, 29 points
Nilsson: 7 goals, 21 points
Moreau (injured): 12 goals, 23 points
Pouliot: 7 goals, 17 points
Reddox: 5 goals, 9 points

It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins
The thing Ryan, and we've seen it this year, just because Reddox is working hard, doesn't mean he will stay on with Horcoff and Hemsky, Mac-T is married to that, he will go to someone else, say Cole, Gagner, Pisani(even) or even Penner, if they are showing something offensively, but right now he needs someone who isn't going to be a black hole out there, and Reddox, though he may lack skill, will do everything to win, which is more then you can say about Penner.
Hey now, don't think I'm defending Penner. Far from it. I'm just saying that because he's the best offensive option we have on the LW (in terms of production), he should probably start there. If he's dragging his ass again tonight, bench him.

Having said that, I don't necessarily disagree with the decision to start Reddox there. I just think Penner should be given some time early to see if he's going. As we've seen this year, for the one or two games after a benching, Penner can be an effective player.

Really, the whole discussion of Penner vs. Reddox is disappointing because they both shouldn't be there. If they don't get a scoring LWer tomorrow, it's going to suck.

EDIT: Looks like Spawn and I are on the same page with the last point.

Old
Spawn

I don't mind Reddox there tonight.

But in all honesty how does this help the team moving forward? He is not a viable option for more than a game/couple periods. If MacT doesn't feel Penner is a first liner than the Oilers better make a ****ing move tommorow to bring in someone else.

Because while Reddox was great last game, and is really playing well lately, he's not a 1st line hockey player. Not even ****ing close.

Old
GMofOilers

Quote:
Nothing would suprise me, put it that way.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
As proven in the last 2 years of not making the playoffs you have to go with performance/reward type coaching.
You're right, because his go to guys haven't shown up, save for that one year when they didn't show up because they were all hurt.

Old
03-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
So MacT put Reddox out after the 60 minutes was up and that somehow sold the fans on Reddox being great? Hey Liam go skate around the ice when the other team leaves and show the fans what your made of son.

Closed Thread