HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

TUUK or Graf Cobras?

Old
03-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

vCash: 500
TUUK or Graf Cobras?

i just got a pair of 705s (used) with the graf cobra holders. i had a pair of tuuk lightspeeds on my old bauer 2ks. i skated on the grafs today and i felt very unbalanced, especially leaning forward. it felt like if i leaned forward the slightest bit too much, i was going to fall on my face.

a few questions

1. can i put tuuks on my 705s?

2. would a pair of tuuk holders give me that more balanced feel that i had with my 2ks? is it just preference?

3. what kind of blade would i have to put on the tuuk holder?

4. what tuuk should i look at to fit this feel?

bonus questions

does anyone know what the standard radius is for 705s and bauer 2000s?

the boot felt kind of loose on my foot,toward my ankle, like i wasnt getting alot of power for each stide, i noticed my upper laces were loosening quickly and when i retied them it felt much better. is there a way to fix this problem?

thank you very much for any answers to these questions

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:24 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 50
you can start with getting the blade profiled back to a more neutral position. But the holder is built so your heal is up and your foot is in a proper skating position on the ball of your foot. it's a very aggressive holder

I like the TUUK lightspeed 2 holder and blade and I have seen every boot from U+ to grafs all change to TUUK. so yes the holder can be changed.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:58 PM
deanosaur

Maybe its the sharpening of the blade. Fix that up

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 06:56 PM
DevilsFan38

Yeah it's the different holders, Cobras have a much greater forward lean than most others.

And for the laces coming loose around the ankle, maybe try waxed laces?

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 07:49 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Keep using them. You can switch (or rather your pro shop can), but they really do help your skating once you're used to them. Tuuks would give you a more neutral feel though.

As for type if you do choose to go to a Tuuk, they'll probably have to drill new holes anyway, so it doesn't matter. Lightspeed II is the newest and best out of the series.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:21 PM
the_pen_is_mightier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
Yeah it's the different holders, Cobras have a much greater forward lean than most others.

And for the laces coming loose around the ankle, maybe try waxed laces?
And when you lace up your skates, loop over, not under ... if that makes sense.

the_pen_is_mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 09:18 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

if you play D you'll hate the aggressive stance that the cobra forces you into until you get use to them. it makes skating backwards awkward if not imposable.

You have them you ought to give them some time before you change them. You may end up liking them.

And when you tie your skates twist them 3 times before tieing them. as well do you loop the last hole to sinch the cuff tight

see this page it tells you how to tie your skate the right way.
http://davemowsgrass.blogspot.com/20...ey-skates.html

Old
03-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Seldanne

so every eyelet should be looped over? or how they do the top one here...
http://davemowsgrass.blogspot.com/20...ey-skates.html

Seldanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

thanks everyone

i didnt really like the forward lean too much but i didnt really play a whole lot, i just used them once but i couldnt skate backwards well and i felt like i was ready to fall forward. also there wasnt much glide to these skates, any idea what that could be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Keep using them. You can switch (or rather your pro shop can), but they really do help your skating once you're used to them. Tuuks would give you a more neutral feel though.

As for type if you do choose to go to a Tuuk, they'll probably have to drill new holes anyway, so it doesn't matter. Lightspeed II is the newest and best out of the series.

what do you mean they would have to drill holes in them(the tuuk?)? to make them fit on the boot?

Old
03-04-2009, 01:21 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

a new deep sharp will slow you down a bit, might effect the glide too.

Old
03-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
what do you mean they would have to drill holes in them(the tuuk?)? to make them fit on the boot?
No, they would have to drill holes in the sole of the skate. The holes in the Tuuk holders don't line up with the ones in the Cobras.
But yes, it can be done. AAMOF a lot of guys don't like the pitch on the Cobras and with Tuuk's on their Grafs. But like said above, I'd go with the LS2.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:15 AM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
thanks everyone

i didnt really like the forward lean too much but i didnt really play a whole lot, i just used them once but i couldnt skate backwards well and i felt like i was ready to fall forward. also there wasnt much glide to these skates, any idea what that could be?

Different (deeper) hollow on the sharpening? That's my only guess.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

thanks again everyone

its definitley not a deeper hollow, its only a half inch, it may have just been a weird cut

what are your guys thoughts on teh tuuk customs? i had those on my old bauers, are the lightspeedII the way i should go instead of the customs?

Old
03-04-2009, 11:44 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
thanks again everyone

its definitley not a deeper hollow, its only a half inch, it may have just been a weird cut

what are your guys thoughts on teh tuuk customs? i had those on my old bauers, are the lightspeedII the way i should go instead of the customs?
see if your pro shop stocks the LS 2 steel and holders.
I like the LS 2 but I have not skated on or changed blades on the customs.

LS 2 is a darn nice holder.

as for the glide issue you are having it might be that your fighting the skate. the more forward stance being new to you. I'm not sure if there is anything else I can think of creating a drag on the blade.

Old
03-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
see if your pro shop stocks the LS 2 steel and holders.
I like the LS 2 but I have not skated on or changed blades on the customs.

LS 2 is a darn nice holder.

as for the glide issue you are having it might be that your fighting the skate. the more forward stance being new to you. I'm not sure if there is anything else I can think of creating a drag on the blade.
thanks, yea it probably cause im not used to the foward pitch. ive read alot of people that switch their cobras for tuuks.

the customs i had on my bauers had a very stable balanced feel. i remember i wore vapor xxxxs once that had the clear lsII on them and i felt a little unbalanced, but that could have just been because they were 2 sizes too small and i wasnt used to player skates at the time because i had been playing goalie.

anyway, what im saying is are the lsII as balanced a feel as the customs? the custims on my bauers are real heavy though

Old
03-05-2009, 12:18 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
thanks, yea it probably cause im not used to the foward pitch. ive read alot of people that switch their cobras for tuuks.

the customs i had on my bauers had a very stable balanced feel. i remember i wore vapor xxxxs once that had the clear lsII on them and i felt a little unbalanced, but that could have just been because they were 2 sizes too small and i wasnt used to player skates at the time because i had been playing goalie.

anyway, what im saying is are the lsII as balanced a feel as the customs? the custims on my bauers are real heavy though
you can get the LS profiled to what ever pitch you like I use a forward leaning defensive stance 25 - 50 a true defensive stance is back on the heels more. I'm thinking of moving my stance a bit more forward for better tuning and forward speed.

As for balanced you just need to figure out how you like your stance and then have the blade profiled.
Start with them sharping your blade just like it comes from the factory. if you don't like that I would try the 25 - 50 but talk to your pro shop guy.

Old
03-05-2009, 08:03 AM
rinkrat22

I just had my LHS guy, who is good with the grinder, just take some off the back end. I wear graf 703s and I would catch the heel on transitions from foreward to backward. and I always felt like during backward crossovers I was on my toes. basically the did a D grind making the rocker more neutral and no problems since. It was a lot cheaper than changing the tuuks. when you figure in the cost of a sharpening vs cost of 2 tuuks plus labor. not to mention that the whoever does the changeover has to be precise with the alignment of the new tuuks.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:12 AM
ModSquad

Funny, I'm probably going to be the only one who recommends Tuuk C+ over LS2 in this instance.

Why?

Better balance. When Graf 705 was designed, what was the original holder on it? Yep, you guessed it - Tuuk Plus.

ModSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModSquad View Post
Funny, I'm probably going to be the only one who recommends Tuuk C+ over LS2 in this instance.

Why?

Better balance. When Graf 705 was designed, what was the original holder on it? Yep, you guessed it - Tuuk Plus.
really? yea i was thinking about going with the customs just because i was used to them from my bauers. will switching from the cobras to the customs or lsII give me that balance?

i really prefer to be back on my heels more than my toes. i couldnt skate backwards in those cobras, i felt like i had to area for mistakes when skating backwards. what i mean by that is unless i was perfectly balanced i felt like i was going to fall.

is the drilling process going to mess with the boot at all and is it difficult to do it? i think i have one guy that can do it around me or i will have to travel and hour and a half

also replacing the holders wont mess with the performance of the boot will it?

yea i know people so i think i can pretty much get my hands on a pair of either and if the guy i know is capable of doing it, he probably wont charge me

thanks again everyone

Old
03-05-2009, 12:20 PM
BrianNYR

ive worn grafs for a few years and recently switched to one95's with the new lightspeed whatevers with the longer steels.
when i switched over i could barely stan(not used to the pitch), and i like to think of myself of a WAY above average skater.
The lift of the holders is completely different. As said before, the cobras will pitch your forward, and the TUUKs are a much more centered stance

in skating, i like the figure that your first 4 steps are the most important in getting up to speed quickly. they have to be quick as possible and maybe even get into being a little choppy to get the most power to the ice as humanly possible.
The cobras do this exceptionally well. the pitch helps you get to the front of your feet, which any sprinter will tell you, is where you want to take off from. (if you dont believe me, take a look at some track sprinter shoes, and see where the 1/2" spikes are located lol)
As far as agility and turning go, i feel that you want to be centered in your stance, and also have as much blade on the ice as possible as well when carving. when your pushed up on your toes, less blade will be on the ice.
The TUUKS do this by centering you, and also with the longer steels of the new lightspeeds, lets you turn like never before

All in all, its defiantly a toss up between the two, but in my exp, i like the more centered feeling of the tuuk now that i am used to it. I feel WAY more balanced and confident when coming out of a hard carve and looking to turn on the jets when going up ice.
Also helps that the one95s are way lighter than the 3 pairs of my old 705's ive used in the past

BrianNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:37 PM
ModSquad

LS is 3 mm taller in the back, so not really.

ModSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

thanks guys

BrianNYR, did you feel more balanced, or did you feel like tehre wasnt as much of a forward pitch on the lightspeed II compared to the cobras?

ModSquad, so as for the LSII, do they have the same forward pitch as teh cobras? and how are the customs? are they flatter?

thanks

Old
03-05-2009, 02:06 PM
BrianNYR

i feel much more on the center of my feet.
its funny because i thought i would never get used to being on the center of my foot, but now that i am i feel much more balanced as a whole.

BrianNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNYR View Post
i feel much more on the center of my feet.
its funny because i thought i would never get used to being on the center of my foot, but now that i am i feel much more balanced as a whole.
awesome, thats exactly the feel i want. i like the graf 705 boot buy i dont like the cobra holder.

im contemplating either the custom+ or the lsII.

does anyone know the difference? is it weight? pitch? i want the one that is flatter

thanks again BrianNYR