HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery claimed off re-entry waivers by NYR

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2009, 11:41 AM
  #201
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
That's the thing, he can't be that player. He was a pain in the ass to Marty and the rest of the team, even this year when he came back with Dallas he turtled not once but twice to Clarkson and one time managed to get Clarkson to take a 2 min roughing minor. He can't be doing that **** this year. He's not going to be able to get within 3 feet of the crease, he's got more eyes on him in that area than Holmstrom does.

If Torts can get his asshattery under control and turn him back into a decent skating and grinding forward than great for him and it's a good move. But even as recently as his stint in Hartford, I don't think Avery has shown he can keep his temper under control.

You're reading to deep into the situation. Avery will be the same player on the ice that he was before. You make it seem as if the moment he's in the goalies crease, they'll whistle a penalty just because he's "Sean Avery". I'm sorry, but that ridiculous. He'll have to adhere to the same rules as the rest of the players in the NHL and therefore will be treated the same way.

The only problem I can see with this is that Sather took back Avery as a desperation move. The record with Avery in the lineup speaks for itself, therefore I think thats the reason why Sather did it.

Hopefully, everything in the lockerroom will be O.K between Avery and his fellow teammates.

levski87 is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:41 AM
  #202
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,294
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
Oh it'll be a lot of fun that's for sure. I know guys like Holik ain't going to put up with him trying anything against Marty, March 30th should be an interesting game at the least
you must have misspelled the name of a tough player, you spelled it H-O-L-I-K

Thirty One is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:41 AM
  #203
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,703
vCash: 500
The most amusing thing about all of this is the reaction of Devils fans. They're spazzing out about this more than Rangers fans and have the tough talk going pretty good

Levitate is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
  #204
lotus
Registered User
 
lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,091
vCash: 500
Okay I'm sorry if it was covered earlier but I just discussed it with a friend and I'm so amazingly confused thanks to him.

Avery was waived by the stars....he did or did not count against their cap and why?

Put on re entry waivers to be claimed, and are then responsible, against the cap, for the 1.9whatever Mil.

Rangers waive Voros and are not responsible for his 1.1 mil?

What am I missing, and why did Avery count against the cap even though he was waived? Some kind of contract or age thing?

lotus is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
  #205
Mr.Krinkle
Hello there children
 
Mr.Krinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kitchen
Country: United States
Posts: 13,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
that's documented hate? for ****'s sakes...

Avery can be exactly the player he was before and we would have no problem with him. we offered $3M to that player.
There was what Gomez and Drury were said to be saying as well, but according to one of your other posters that may have been overblown:

Code:
 Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus  View Post

Not true at all. Dubinsky and Drury's comments were overblown by the press and Avery is on record saying it wasn't a big deal. The vally comments I felt were brutally honest but justified. But these guys are pros. they should suck it up and drive on.

Mr.Krinkle is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
  #206
GeorgeHamiltonsTan
Registered User
 
GeorgeHamiltonsTan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,232
vCash: 500
yay another overpriced 3rd liner that no one including the newly appointed coach likes...thanks glen you rule!

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
  #207
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Satan could be short-term help to aid the Rangers scoring woes, but he certainly isnt an answer. I just look at th webpage below and see all the RFAs that need a pay increase and all the high contracts, PLUS the fact that anyone that thinks the salary cap isnt coming down is living in economic la-la land and I dont see how spending $2M on Sean Avery can be anything but a mistake.
At the very least, even if you like the guy, I dont see how you cant think this isnt a very high risk gamble by the Rangers because the Rangers dont have the salary cap room to make any more mistakes.
I'm not getting into the cap discussion again. It's been covered a million times here and anyone who wants to prognosticate on where it's going for the 2011 season is just blowing hot air. Revenues for this season are up and therefore, the cap will be as well.

Of course Avery is a high risk gamble. Would you expect anything less from Sather?

Melrose_Jr. is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
  #208
Bury Your Head
 
Bury Your Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Scared? As a Devils fan, I'm HAPPY about this, I legitimately believe it's a terrible mismanagement of money on a guy that cant be as "effective" as he was before given the NHL has informed him he's on his 9th cat life.



Satan could be short-term help to aid the Rangers scoring woes, but he certainly isnt an answer. I just look at th webpage below and see all the RFAs that need a pay increase and all the high contracts, PLUS the fact that anyone that thinks the salary cap isnt coming down is living in economic la-la land and I dont see how spending $2M on Sean Avery can be anything but a mistake.
At the very least, even if you like the guy, I dont see how you cant think this isnt a very high risk gamble by the Rangers because the Rangers dont have the salary cap room to make any more mistakes.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...YR&season=0809
You're so sure of yourself, it's ridiculous. WAIT UNTIL HE PLAYS A GODDAMNED GAME OR TWO WITH THE TEAM BEFORE PASSING JUDGEMENT ON THIS MOVE. You're so worried about our "mis-management" and how he isn't going to be as effective, blah blah blah. You sound like you're trying to reassure yourself that this is a bad move by the Rangers.

Bury Your Head is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:43 AM
  #209
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,382
vCash: 500
A "sloppy seconds" chant would be pretty epic. Sean would certainly laugh about it.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:44 AM
  #210
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,294
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Can someone update our cap assumed cap situation assuming that Bell and Voros are in HFD and Avery on the Rangers (eventually)

I guess what i am asking is that by ditsching those two and getting avery do we have more or less cap room?
about $3.8M full season dollars

Thirty One is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:44 AM
  #211
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Scared? As a Devils fan, I'm HAPPY about this, I legitimately believe it's a terrible mismanagement of money on a guy that cant be as "effective" as he was before given the NHL has informed him he's on his 9th cat life.



Satan could be short-term help to aid the Rangers scoring woes, but he certainly isnt an answer. I just look at th webpage below and see all the RFAs that need a pay increase and all the high contracts, PLUS the fact that anyone that thinks the salary cap isnt coming down is living in economic la-la land and I dont see how spending $2M on Sean Avery can be anything but a mistake.
At the very least, even if you like the guy, I dont see how you cant think this isnt a very high risk gamble by the Rangers because the Rangers dont have the salary cap room to make any more mistakes.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...YR&season=0809

Don't worry about the Rangers salary cap problems. If we wanted to we would bury Redden and Gomez in the AHL and their contracts are off the books. I'm pretty sure the Rangers can afford it

levski87 is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:46 AM
  #212
SML
Registered User
 
SML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
I wonder how Gianonne's feeling right now...

That goofball is lucky he has a job. Any team that would let the feelings of a between periods interview and sub-par play by play fill in influence their on ice talent decisions would be crazy.

SML is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:46 AM
  #213
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
Okay I'm sorry if it was covered earlier but I just discussed it with a friend and I'm so amazingly confused thanks to him.

Avery was waived by the stars....he did or did not count against their cap and why?

Put on re entry waivers to be claimed, and are then responsible, against the cap, for the 1.9whatever Mil.

Rangers waive Voros and are not responsible for his 1.1 mil?

What am I missing, and why did Avery count against the cap even though he was waived? Some kind of contract or age thing?
Ok, so if a player is with their NHL team, then their full cap hit is counted towards the teams cap. If that player is sent to the AHL, then their cap hit no longer applies to their NHL team. For most players, they have to go through waivers before they can be sent down to the AHL. That's why people link the whole "being put on waivers" to "taking their cap hit off of the books". But it's not the actual waivers process that removes their cap hit from the NHL team, it's the fact that they got sent down to the AHL. And if they're claimed on waivers while being sent down, then the original team doesn't pay any of their contract; the new teams takes the entire hit.

Now, a new rule was put in when the new CBA was made. It says that when you call someone up from the AHL, they have go through re-entry waivers (unless they're waiver exempt) and if they're claimed by another team, then the players remaining salary and cap hit is split between those two teams (the original team and the new team that just claimed him).

So basically, if a player is sent DOWN to the AHL, they are no longer counted against the cap. If they get claimed while being sent DOWN, then the original team doesn't pay any of their contract; the new teams picks up the entire contract and cap hit. If they are called UP from the AHL, other teams have a chance to claim them and the original team is on the hook for half of the players salary if that happens. If no one claims the player and he goes back into the lineup with the original team, then of course his full cap hit is applied to that original team.

Levitate is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:46 AM
  #214
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
I wonder how Gianonne's feeling right now...

That moron should cover fishsticks.

I will give Avery a C, but it's just me, cause I agree about his observations regarding actress-player relations.

This is good start. However, as Jagr once said, THIS TEAM NEEDS MORE THAN JUST SEAN AVERY.

94now is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:46 AM
  #215
Shake and Bake
 
Shake and Bake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
A "sloppy seconds" chant would be pretty epic. Sean would certainly laugh about it.
Oh, its gonna happen

Shake and Bake is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:47 AM
  #216
mti79
Registered User
 
mti79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
Add Avery and subtract Voros = huge plus!!!!

And Avery can be the same player. He just can't pull some of the b.s. he's done in the past. IE. pre-game fights, the waving the stick thing, and outrageous comments in the press.

Why can't he still play hard, crash the net, and run his mouth in after whistle scrums? Everyone else does it and there's no consequences. He just has to go back to toeing the line and not blatantly crossing it.

mti79 is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:47 AM
  #217
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
A "sloppy seconds" chant would be pretty epic. Sean would certainly laugh about it.
you really would do that?

Fitzy is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:47 AM
  #218
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
A "sloppy seconds" chant would be pretty epic. Sean would certainly laugh about it.
Yeah, make the complete farce come full circle

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:47 AM
  #219
DM23BK30
HFB Partner
 
DM23BK30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 17,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
That's the thing, he can't be that player. He was a pain in the ass to Marty and the rest of the team, even this year when he came back with Dallas he turtled not once but twice to Clarkson and one time managed to get Clarkson to take a 2 min roughing minor. He can't be doing that **** this year. He's not going to be able to get within 3 feet of the crease, he's got more eyes on him in that area than Holmstrom does.

If Torts can get his asshattery under control and turn him back into a decent skating and grinding forward than great for him and it's a good move. But even as recently as his stint in Hartford, I don't think Avery has shown he can keep his temper under control.


You're missing the point. Avery wasn't breaking any rules for being a pest and getting in guys faces. He was disciplined and ridiculed for his mouth and events off the ice.

People think that Avery is going to be like Cartman from the South Park Ritalin episode when he returns to the Rangers. he isn't. He's still going to yap and annoy and do it all within the rules.

Bettman is on record saying that Avery understands what is expected of him when he returns and I will guarantee you it's not being docile and robotic.

And as for the Hartford thing, it goes both way. His teammates said he was great down there and he was up front and honest with all of them and he even mentored a lot of them (to what he mentored them in i have no idea)

The whole point of Avery is to make other teams mad. The league has told him he can still do that but to keep it on the ice .

DM23BK30 is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:48 AM
  #220
SML
Registered User
 
SML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,763
vCash: 500
I think the reality is that some team owners, despite being obviously wealthy, are not willing to spend 4 million dollars a year to have a guy not work for them. Not everyone has as deep pockets or the willingness to reach into them as we have here.

SML is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:48 AM
  #221
MrEctions
Willy Nilly
 
MrEctions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clinton, Ny
Country: United States
Posts: 4,739
vCash: 500
Isnt necessarily you persay, we were speaking about the other famous "Rangers Thread" Poster.

MrEctions is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
  #222
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
That goofball is lucky he has a job. Any team that would let the feelings of a between periods interview and sub-par play by play fill in influence their on ice talent decisions would be crazy.
So its fine for Sean Avery to badmouth any MSG employees family?

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
  #223
lotus
Registered User
 
lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
So basically, if a player is sent DOWN to the AHL, they are no longer counted against the cap. If they get claimed while being sent DOWN, then the original team doesn't pay any of their contract; the new teams picks up the entire contract and cap hit. If they are called UP from the AHL, other teams have a chance to claim them and the original team is on the hook for half of the players salary if that happens. If no one claims the player and he goes back into the lineup with the original team, then of course his full cap hit is applied to that original team.
So Avery never counted against the Stars cap to begin with? Once he was waived? Or did they never actually assign him to the AHL?

lotus is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
  #224
Mr.Krinkle
Hello there children
 
Mr.Krinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kitchen
Country: United States
Posts: 13,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The most amusing thing about all of this is the reaction of Devils fans. They're spazzing out about this more than Rangers fans and have the tough talk going pretty good
Trust me, I'm not spazzing out about this, I'm just curious about it.

I think dumping Voros was a better move going forward than this.

Mr.Krinkle is offline  
Old
03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
  #225
HockeyBurd*
 
HockeyBurd*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
That's the thing, he can't be that player. He was a pain in the ass to Marty and the rest of the team, even this year when he came back with Dallas he turtled not once but twice to Clarkson and one time managed to get Clarkson to take a 2 min roughing minor. He can't be doing that **** this year. He's not going to be able to get within 3 feet of the crease, he's got more eyes on him in that area than Holmstrom does.

If Torts can get his asshattery under control and turn him back into a decent skating and grinding forward than great for him and it's a good move. But even as recently as his stint in Hartford, I don't think Avery has shown he can keep his temper under control.
Nonsense. He's going to be the exact same player... becasue that's how he plays. That's his asset. That's what they brought him back for. The only thing he would get under control, if he is even capable of it, is the non-hockey related stuff. The types of comments he makes. He's going to set up residence in Marty's crease first chance he gets.

HockeyBurd* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.