HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lawrence Nycholat - Calgary

Old
03-03-2009, 12:50 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
Interesting move to say the least. Not sure really why Sutter has picked him up. I guess depth is never a bad thing, but this guy has been injured for quite a bit of the year and I really don't know if he is an upgrade over Anders Eriksson. I guess a possibility is he is going down to QC to help out the farm team.
can't see him being sent to QC really... why wouldn't the canucks just pick him up and send him to Manitoba then? if the flames waive him before he plays 10 games or 30 days (correct me if I'm wrong here), Vancouver can reclaim him and send him to Manitoba..

my guess is that since Manitoba is vying for a Calder Cup this year, that's where they'd want him to be.

And there's no way he's anything more than a depth, extra dman, addition for the flames... he was the #8 dman in Vancouver (behind Davison playing the #7 role) before Vaananen got there, when he become the #9 guy in Vancouver... can't see him being anything better than a #8 in Calgary.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Inker

If the Flames want to send him to Quad Cities, theyd have to put him on waivers again and someone could claim him

Inker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2695...=secStory_main

can someone change the prefix?

it's confirmed with a link now

Chevy Cheveldae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Miko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Flames fans might be able to answer this:

Would Nycholat be ahead of Pardy on the Flames depth chart ?
I wouldn't think so with the way Pardys been playing this year. Pardy started off the season kind of shakey but has improved by leaps and bounds since then.

This was most likely a chance to shore up the QC flames blueline depth at no cost.

Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:56 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inker View Post
If the Flames want to send him to Quad Cities, theyd have to put him on waivers again and someone could claim him
Considering how far down the waiver list the Flames are due to their high position in the standings, and due to the more than decent defensive depth of all the teams ahead of Calgary, I don't think that would be an issue.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Eradicator

Palin, Wilson and Pelech have been or are injured. This is for the QC Flames

Eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Are you sure? TSN and Yahoo both have him injured with a groin injury since Jan 28.
That is also the day Demitra came back. It was very, "convenient".

Last edited by Wayne Maki: 03-03-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Wayne Maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:02 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eradicator View Post
Palin, Wilson and Pelech have been or are injured. This is for the QC Flames
considering Manitoba could also use him, wouldn't be surprised to see the canucks reclaim him and send him to Manitoba if he's just going to be shipped off to QC.

Old
03-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Timmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
considering Manitoba could also use him, wouldn't be surprised to see the canucks reclaim him and send him to Manitoba if he's just going to be shipped off to QC.
Could this just be a depth move until Giordano comes back?

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
The Flames have to have an offsetting transaction somewhere, as this puts them at 24 players on the Active Roster. Either someone got assigned [and it hasn't been announced yet] or someone got put on IR [they already have Warrener, Primeau, Giordano and Bourque there] and one of the three already on IR besides Warrener got moved to LTIR.

I'm betting someone got assigned back to the Quad Cities.

Except that players on IR still count against the cap. It may have been maneuvering for call-ups.
neither Langkow or Bertuzzi joined the Flames on their 7 game/12 day road trip... after the road trip they have 3 days off... I would think Langkow is going on IR retroactive to Feb. 18th... and correct me if I am wrong a player only has to be on IR for 7 days right?... the flames could probably place both Langkow and Bertuzzi on waivers if this is the case

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
Its a depth move alright... because Giordano is out for the year

Old
03-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
neither Langkow or Bertuzzi joined the Flames on their 7 game/12 day road trip... after the road trip they have 3 days off... I would think Langkow is going on IR retroactive to Feb. 18th... and correct me if I am wrong a player only has to be on IR for 7 days right?
That's correct.

Quote:
... the flames could probably place both Langkow and Bertuzzi on waivers if this is the case
You mean IR?

BTW - I still don't see how the Flames fit Nycholat in without a roster move that either puts someone in the minors or puts someone on LTIR.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
That's correct.

You mean IR?

BTW - I still don't see how the Flames fit Nycholat in without a roster move that either puts someone in the minors or puts someone on LTIR.
yeah I meant IR ... all this waiver talk just got in my head... Primeau and Giordano are both done for the year... so I could see both of them going on LTIR

Old
03-03-2009, 01:34 PM
dutchcrunch14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I hope the Flames play this guy a lot.
yes i agree for canucks sake... even though we only have one remaining game vs them

dutchcrunch14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:40 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
That's correct.

You mean IR?

isn't that just for today though? after midnight tonight, there are no roster limits.

so couldn't the flames technically just send Boyd to the minors (doesn't have to clear waivers IIRC) and then recall him tomorrow when the roster limits are no longer in effect?

also, looking at their roster right now, considering the number of players that are on IR, are they even over the 23 man limit with Nycholat?

according to CBS injury report, they have 4 players on IR right now - Giordano, Bourque, Primeau, and Warrener. Langkow, Prust and Roy are all injured, but not on IR. Even if none of them go on IR, their current lineup then has:

Iginla, Cammy, Bertuzzi, Langkow, Phaneuf, Conroy, Moss, Glencross, Lombardi, Aucoin, Sarich, Boyd, Pardy, Nystrom, Regehr, Lundmark, Roy, Vandermeer, Prust, Van Der Gulik, Peters, Greentree, Kipper, and McElhinney. That's a total of 24 players... with Nycholat, all they'd have to do with send down Van Der Gulik and Peters or Greentree or Boyd, just for tonight, and then can recall them again.

Am I missing something? or do the rosters limits not end after tonight?

Old
03-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
isn't that just for today though? after midnight tonight, there are no roster limits.

so couldn't the flames technically just send Boyd to the minors (doesn't have to clear waivers IIRC) and then recall him tomorrow when the roster limits are no longer in effect?

also, looking at their roster right now, considering the number of players that are on IR, are they even over the 23 man limit with Nycholat?

according to CBS injury report, they have 4 players on IR right now - Giordano, Bourque, Primeau, and Warrener. Langkow, Prust and Roy are all injured, but not on IR. Even if none of them go on IR, their current lineup then has:

Iginla, Cammy, Bertuzzi, Langkow, Phaneuf, Conroy, Moss, Glencross, Lombardi, Aucoin, Sarich, Boyd, Pardy, Nystrom, Regehr, Lundmark, Roy, Vandermeer, Prust, Van Der Gulik, Peters, Greentree, Kipper, and McElhinney. That's a total of 24 players... with Nycholat, all they'd have to do with send down Van Der Gulik and Peters or Greentree or Boyd, just for tonight, and then can recall them again.

Am I missing something? or do the rosters limits not end after tonight?
the Flames would be better off demoting Van der Gulik than Boyd ... and I think you can add at least Langkow to IR since he hasn't played since the last Flames/Canucks game and didn't make the road trip with Calgary... also Warrener is on LTIR and according to IB another player was placed on there too... I am assuming Primeau or Giordano... I think it's likely the other will be placed on LTIR very shortly since neither will be back this season

Old
03-03-2009, 01:46 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Not even Close

Pardy is our 3/4/5 D-man (Depending on how Aucoin and Sarich are playing)
That is your opinion. PArdy has been brutal as of late. He is our #6D right now, being forced to play higher.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 01:47 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
the Flames would be better off demoting Van der Gulik than Boyd ... and I think you can add at least Langkow to IR since he hasn't played since the last Flames/Canucks game and didn't make the road trip with Calgary... also Warrener is on LTIR and according to IB another player was placed on there too... I am assuming Primeau or Giordano... I think it's likely the other will be placed on LTIR very shortly since neither will be back this season
I only used Boyd as an example because he's not eligible for waivers (IIRC). And it would only be a one-day thing anyways, as after tonight, teams don't have roster limits, as long as they can fit the salary under the cap.

Old
03-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan View Post
That is your opinion. PArdy has been brutal as of late. He is our #6D right now, being forced to play higher.
I agree completely

Quote:
I only used Boyd as an example because he's not eligible for waivers (IIRC). And it would only be a one-day thing anyways, as after tonight, teams don't have roster limits, as long as they can fit the salary under the cap.
I know what you meant hence the ... and even though it would only be a one day thing with no Bourque, Langkow or Bertuzzi tonight the Flames desperately need Boyd in the lineup

Old
03-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
I thought it was effective at 3:00pm. Either way, we're quibbling about hours - but the cap is still in effect, so the size of your roster is constrained by the amount of cap space you have [or don't have].

Quote:
Yes, they could. However, again - they have to have the cap space to do it.

Quote:
They were carrying 27 [including the 4 on IR]. Nycholat makes 28 - we've got the same rosters.

Quote:
also Warrener is on LTIR and according to IB another player was placed on there too
Whoa - I didn't say that. I said if they don't assign someone to QC, then it has to be the case that someone got moved to LTIR. That said, I still think someone got assigned for the day.

Old
03-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Whoa - I didn't say that. I said if they don't assign someone to QC, then it has to be the case that someone got moved to LTIR. That said, I still think someone got assigned for the day.
misread my bad... I think the Flames will see Van der Gulik or Peters demoted and/or Primeau/Giordano put on LTIR

after looking at the rosters listed you have Greentree on there... he was demoted when Peters was recalled

Last edited by Lunatik*: 03-03-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old
03-03-2009, 02:05 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Iginla, Cammy, Bertuzzi, Langkow, Phaneuf, Conroy, Moss, Glencross, Lombardi, Aucoin, Sarich, Boyd, Pardy, Nystrom, Regehr, Lundmark, Roy, Vandermeer, Prust, Van Der Gulik, Peters, Greentree, Kipper, and McElhinney. That's a total of 24 players.
Greentree was sent down a few days ago. So I'm guessing either Langkow or Bertuzzi will go on the IR and we'd be fine. I think.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
misread my bad... I think the Flames will see Van der Gulik or Peters demoted and/or Primeau/Giordano put on LTIR

after looking at the rosters listed you have Greentree on there... he was demoted when Peters was recalled
I've got it right in my master file.

Quote:
Greentree was sent down a few days ago. So I'm guessing either Langkow or Bertuzzi will go on the IR and we'd be fine. I think.

Players on IR still count against the cap.

Quote:
50.10 Player Injuries, Illnesses and Suspensions.
(a) All Player Salary and Bonuses paid to Players on an NHL Active Roster, Injured Reserve or Non Roster that are Unfit to Play – being either injured or suffering from an illness – shall be counted against a Club's Upper Limit, Actual Club Salary and Averaged Club Salary, as well as against the Players' Share.

Old
03-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Lunatik*

IB... Last night on Sportsnet Connected they had Doug MacLean on talking about the Flames and them going into the deadline... MacLean claimed that the Flames have 1.16 million in Cap Space (and said the Flames could afford a $5 million player as a result)... I am assuming his numbers would include the LTIR exception... would Giordano and/or Primeau being placed on LTIR jive with that number?... when I heard it last night it reminded me of you saying if Giordano and Primeau were tagged for LTIR the Flames could afford about 5.2 million

Old
03-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
Giordano ain't coming back. Shoulder surgery. They cleaned out his stall in the dressing room apparently.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote