HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Tlusty named AHL's player of month

Old
03-03-2009, 04:21 PM
mapes

vCash: 500
I hope Burke keeps him down there when Poni, Antro, Moore and the likes are gone. I'd like to see him dominate the AHL for the rest of the year and come up next year. He's hot, don't ruin that.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 04:21 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Short sided eh ?? What about the long side?. .. I was trying to deploy foresight..

Unfortunately a lot of posters are following his progress by the boxscore and/or stats only without watching the games ..

There is such a thing as soft points and hard points .. Case in point in the last 6 Marlies games Tlusty has 10 points, however he only appeared as 3rd star on one occasion during those games .. On Saturday he had a goal and 2 assists and was not a game star while Williams had the same and was the 1st star and best player in the game. Points are still points but its the play outside of points is what is different that earns you notice for your play.

The points are coming but the play has not matched the production. If Burke can trade him for a good young prospect or player of similar potential then I don't think he will hesitate to move him. He is certainly not an untouchable to Burke.
But he was also Player of the Month, so that should mean something

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
But he was also Player of the Month, so that should mean something
Yes, it does his value has gone up in the last month due to this hot streak.. 24 points in 11 games statistically is impressive, but that is nearly 1/2 his season point totals right there, if you look outside of this 11 games what did he really accomplish?..

Lets hope that this is the beginning of big things for Tlusty in the future but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Burke traded him.. Not necessarily in the next few days but perhaps this summer at the draft.

Last edited by Mess: 03-03-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Yes, it does his value has gone up in the last month due to this hot streak.. 24 points in 11 games statistically is impressive, but that is nearly 1/2 his season point totals right there, if you look outside of this 11 games what did he really accomplish?..

These player of the week and or month type stuff not only in the AHL but NHL or CHL are all based on production and stats and not real play.. If a player had 4 goals during a week all into an empty net he still might be player of the week offensively.

Tlusty had 5 goals in a game that is a rare occasion and that all but guaranteed him the AHL player of the month, so this is not a surprise really.. The fact that 2 of those goals came in the last 2 minutes of the game and one into an empty net the other while the other team was pinching deep for the tying goal.

Lets hope that this is the beginning of big things for Tlusty in the future but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Burke traded him.. Not necessarily in the next few days but perhaps this summer at the draft. .
How can you say that tho? He obviously had his confidence shaken pretty bad as he was bumped from line to line and in and out of the lineup when he was in the NHL. Then he was sent down to the AHL and took some time to get that confidence back up to where it should be and what do ya know he's producing like he was supposed to. The guy is only 20 and was rushed into the pros. I think he will benefit greatly from another year in the AHL and the playoff experience that comes with it. Lets not forget that he was a 13th overall pick and is now showing why he was selected there and that potential is starting to shine through. IMO it's absolutely absurd to even entertain the thought of moving this kid at this point and stage.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 04:55 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Short sided eh ?? What about the long side?. .. I was trying to deploy foresight..

Unfortunately a lot of posters are following his progress by the boxscore and/or stats only without watching the games ..

There is such a thing as soft points and hard points .. Case in point in the last 6 Marlies games Tlusty has 10 points, however he only appeared as 3rd star on one occasion during those games .. On Saturday he had a goal and 2 assists and was not a game star while Williams had the same and was the 1st star and best player in the game. Points are still points but its the play outside of points is what is different that earns you notice for your play.

The points are coming but the play has not matched the production. If Burke can trade him for a good young prospect or player of similar potential then I don't think he will hesitate to move him. He is certainly not an untouchable to Burke.
Yeah people shouldn't be blinded by this

Go watch the highlights on AHL and you can see he has earned every point he has put up

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 04:58 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
This latest hot streak is an anomaly for Tlusty ..

Lets hope the Burke recognizes this mirage and trades him while his value is high ..

Buy low and sell high is the best strategy to deploy here with Tlusty, and the timing couldn't be better for Jiri to get hot.
Talk about agenda here Mess

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:08 PM
KapG

Quote:
This latest hot streak is an anomaly for Tlusty ..

Lets hope the Burke recognizes this mirage and trades him while his value is high ..

Buy low and sell high is the best strategy to deploy here with Tlusty, and the timing couldn't be better for Jiri to get hot.
HAH you are just saying that because you have a hate on for jiri.

Too bad jiri is doing better then your boy williams in the A ... at a younger age too

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:16 PM
ILoveDraftDay

Just ignore Mess and make up your own minds tbh

ILoveDraftDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Grill Daddy

Let's not forget here that guys like williams and mitchell took 3-4 years to "develop" into players and each got called up for their shot with less than point per game production.

Williams scores goals and does almost nothing else. That's why mitchell passed him on the depth chart despite being much less of an offensive player.

We haven't seen an ahl prospect tear it up like Tlusty in a long time. And I mean prospect, not career ahler.

BTW williams had two goals and one assist (vs Tlusty's 1g 2a) which is why he was the star and not Tlusty. Although that is an extremely weak argument, on the heels of Tlusty being named player of the month.

Grill Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Snipeshow

Good for him.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:33 PM
ToneBone03
LEAFS

I think I'm getting a hard-on for Tlusty here, guys! Here's to hoping he continues to rip it up and get his confidence up. Hopefully this new found confidence will translate well into the AHL playoffs and then, hopefully, next year in the NHL.

ToneBone03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:35 PM
TOG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Another good pick of JFJ's what can you expect him to say? Glad Tlusty has turned it around after being brought a little too quickly to the NHL. Think Wilson did a good job with him during his brief stint in the NHL earlier this year.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:37 PM
sgupca

Tlusty is on a tear and yet (according to Mckenzie) he's on the block

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:38 PM
re5piration
'67 til

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khomaniac View Post
I think I'm getting a hard-on for Tlusty here, guys! Here's to hoping he continues to rip it up and get his confidence up. Hopefully this new found confidence will translate well into the AHL playoffs and then, hopefully, next year in the NHL.

Good on him, keep it up Tlusty

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:39 PM
ToneBone03
LEAFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
I will cry if Burke trades him if we don't get someone of equal value in return. It makes me so happy to finally see Tlusty doing well.

Old
ToneBone03
LEAFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafYourLife View Post

Good on him, keep it up Tlusty

Old
TOG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
As Burke said several times "Any player can be had for the right price". So any player in the system can technically be on the block as long as burke gets something he feels is more valuable to the team in the long run.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:42 PM
TheProspector

Quote:
On Saturday he had a goal and 2 assists and was not a game star while Williams had the same and was the 1st star and best player in the game. Points are still points but its the play outside of points is what is different that earns you notice for your play.

I was there on Saturday. Neither players looked particularly impressive. Williams really floated out there. Ryan Hamilton should have been hands down the 1st star.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Grill Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProspector View Post
I was there on Saturday. Neither players looked particularly impressive. Williams really floated out there. Ryan Hamilton should have been hands down the 1st star.
Wasn't he also named one of the top three stars multiple times in Feb?

Grill Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:45 PM
darty

Grass is always greener, eh, Mess?

darty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Keep in mind Leasty this isn't me that is tossing Tlusty into trade rumours in the media or saying he is being shopped ..There are reports out there by sports reporters that have mentioned both Tlusty and Stralman available..

I don't know how credible those reports are but we will soon find out if they're in Burke's plans long-term or if they will be included in deals now or at the draft..

It might be Leafs pick + Tlusty to move up into the TOP 5 picks for example.

Posters don't have to worry what I think, as I have no influence on the outcome, and you just have to be worried about what Brian Burke says or does.

Old
03-03-2009, 05:48 PM
KapG

Quote:
Not really THAT surprising. I mean, when your skating abilities are even sub par in the AHL you are certainly going to have to cherry pick every now and then since you won't be blowing by anyone with your speed.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 05:53 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

wow what a month. thata boy Jiri!!!!!!!

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
My point I was making was Tlusty had goal and 2 assists in the game.. Was not in the game stars.. It really didn't matter who was ,nor is it relevant it just happen to be Williams by coincidence in this example, nor what order only to make the point that Tlusty wasn't despite 3 points.

You were at the game, yet you're not defending Tlusty here for his 3 point performance claiming he should have been a game star.. Those 3 points though are becoming important and being factored into Tlusty strong play as he is developing nicely.

I hope Tlusty continues to produce well and that this is not just a blip on the radar as Leafs don't have a lot of young talent that can make a difference in the organization.

Last edited by Mess: 03-03-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old
03-03-2009, 06:19 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:

Exactly, all his goals aren't game winners, so what's the point of keeping him if all he does is put up meaningless points.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote