HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tlusty named AHL's player of month

Old
03-03-2009, 06:21 PM
My Sweet Shadow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
My point I was making was Tlusty had goal and 2 assists in the game.. Was not in the game stars.. It really didn't matter who was ,nor is it relevant it just happen to be Williams by coincidence in this example, nor what order only to make the point that Tlusty wasn't despite 3 points.

You were at the game, yet you're not defending Tlusty here for his 3 point performance claiming he should have been a game star.. Those 3 points though are becoming important and being factored into Tlusty strong play as he is developing nicely.

-Tlusty has 24 points in his last 11 games which is impressive but that leaves 26 points in 38 games.

-Tlusty has 21 goals but 5 came in a single game .. That leaves 16 goals in the other 48 games if you remove the anomaly..

- Tlusty also had 4 assists in a game this month.. So just ignore those two great games and its 41 points in 47 games and not a PPG now ..

I was simply trying point out the peaks and valleys of his play and also that despite getting points is not showing up in the game stars, which suggest that there are some very quiet or secondary points inflating his current point totals.

I hope Tlusty continues to produce well and that this is not just a blip on the radar as Leafs don't have a lot of young talent that can make a difference in the organization.
Does the phrase twenty years-old hold any value in your reasoning.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 06:23 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Burke said even Schenn can be had for the right price, so everyone is on the block.

If people are coming to Burke asking for Tlusty it isn't because they haven't scouted him. Tlusty is a hot property around the league.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 06:25 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Burke said even Schenn can be had for the right price, so everyone is on the block.

If people are coming to Burke asking for Tlusty it isn't because they haven't scouted him. Tlusty is a hot property around the league.
He said if he was offered ten first round picks then he'd do it.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 06:30 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
He said if he was offered ten first round picks then he'd do it.
And maybe he wants a top 5 pick for Tlusty?

Old
03-03-2009, 07:02 PM
ToneBone03
#Facepalm

Whoa, I just realized that Tlusty is an '88 birth. I didn't realize he was THAT young.

ToneBone03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 07:09 PM
sprout

Just a question for some of you people who really know hockey.

Detroit drafts players and develops them and starts to play them in the NHL at what 23 or 24? Zetterberg, Datsyuk ... bums like that who should be traded at 19 or 20 or 21 ...

I'm not trying to provoke an argument. Some guys take longer to develop and the best teams don't rush their rookies. Is this true or not? I'm all ears and would love to hear when to start a player ... other than Bobby Orr (the best).

Last edited by sprout: 03-03-2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: develop - ouch an "e" on the end ...
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 07:15 PM
EdBelfour20

trading sloots would be a terrible move. he will be a PPG player in the NHL in a few years. he is part of the future of this team.

EdBelfour20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 07:16 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG26 View Post
As Burke said several times "Any player can be had for the right price". So any player in the system can technically be on the block as long as burke gets something he feels is more valuable to the team in the long run.
I have a feeling he'd be in a package deal for a bigger piece...if he was traded...

even so he's one of our better prospects and to be traded we'd have to get one heck of a player in return.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Krylian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout View Post
Just a question for some of you people who really know hockey.

Detroit drafts players and develops them and starts to play them in the NHL at what 23 or 24? Zetterberg, Datsyuk ... bums like that who should be traded at 19 or 20 or 21 ...

I'm not trying to provoke an argument. Some guys take longer to develop and the best teams don't rush their rookies. Is this true or not? I'm all ears and would love to hear when to start a player ... other than Bobby Orr (the best).
Several reasons for this.

When you're a consistenly strong team such as Detroit, your roster is often deep and there just aren't many positions open from year to year which limits the number of rookies that make the team on a yearly basis.

Also, when you're drafting late in the first round, those players are usually not nearly as polished as a Top 5 pick would be. They're just not as ready...there are things in their game they need to work on....often from a defensive standpoint...which is another reason they aren't rushed.

Another reason...let's take the Devils as an example here (although I'm sure Detroit is similar). I know they have an organizational philsophy on how they want their players to play in terms of defensive coverage and just basic strategies. They like their young players to take a year or two in the AHL to work on these facets. Some take longer than others to grasp it, but you can tell by the number of strong two-way players they develop that it isn't strictly by accident.

It takes a long time to get to the point where your team is good enough that you don't need to rush them into your lineup and you can ensure that they will be in a position to succeed in the NHL when they finally are given the opportunity.

Tlusty is a good example of a player that has displayed a strong ability to score and be creative in the offensive zone. What he needs is to work on his defensive game. Back-checking, penalty killing, defensive zone coverage.

Offense is often natural god-given talent.
Defense is mostly hard work and dedication.

Kind of ironic that the part of the game that anyone can learn if they want to work for it bad enough, is the part that is most likely to be taken for granted and often suffers.

Those are just my thoughts...

Krylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Grill Daddy

Quote:
My point I was making was Tlusty had goal and 2 assists in the game.. Was not in the game stars.. It really didn't matter who was ,nor is it relevant it just happen to be Williams by coincidence in this example, nor what order only to make the point that Tlusty wasn't despite 3 points.

You were at the game, yet you're not defending Tlusty here for his 3 point performance claiming he should have been a game star.. Those 3 points though are becoming important and being factored into Tlusty strong play as he is developing nicely.

-Tlusty has 24 points in his last 11 games which is impressive but that leaves 26 points in 38 games.

-Tlusty has 21 goals but 5 came in a single game .. That leaves 16 goals in the other 48 games if you remove the anomaly..

- Tlusty also had 4 assists in a game this month.. So just ignore those two great games and its 41 points in 47 games and not a PPG now ..

I was simply trying point out the peaks and valleys of his play and also that despite getting points is not showing up in the game stars, which suggest that there are some very quiet or secondary points inflating his current point totals.

I hope Tlusty continues to produce well and that this is not just a blip on the radar as Leafs don't have a lot of young talent that can make a difference in the organization.
If someone scores 52 g in a year but has a 4 g game does that mean he's not a 50g scorer?

You could argue the otherway and say if he didn't get 2 points in his first 10 games (I made that up but it's probably close) then he'd be at a much higher pace.

He did have some bad stretches and some amazing ones, but he's 20! And the thing I'm most excited about is that when others get called up and his line changes (Stapleton) he is still producing.

Grill Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 08:33 PM
sprout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
Several reasons for this.

When you're a consistenly strong team such as Detroit, your roster is often deep and there just aren't many positions open from year to year which limits the number of rookies that make the team on a yearly basis.

Also, when you're drafting late in the first round, those players are usually not nearly as polished as a Top 5 pick would be. They're just not as ready...there are things in their game they need to work on....often from a defensive standpoint...which is another reason they aren't rushed.

Another reason...let's take the Devils as an example here (although I'm sure Detroit is similar). I know they have an organizational philsophy on how they want their players to play in terms of defensive coverage and just basic strategies. They like their young players to take a year or two in the AHL to work on these facets. Some take longer than others to grasp it, but you can tell by the number of strong two-way players they develop that it isn't strictly by accident.

It takes a long time to get to the point where your team is good enough that you don't need to rush them into your lineup and you can ensure that they will be in a position to succeed in the NHL when they finally are given the opportunity.

Tlusty is a good example of a player that has displayed a strong ability to score and be creative in the offensive zone. What he needs is to work on his defensive game. Back-checking, penalty killing, defensive zone coverage.

Offense is often natural god-given talent.
Defense is mostly hard work and dedication.

Kind of ironic that the part of the game that anyone can learn if they want to work for it bad enough, is the part that is most likely to be taken for granted and often suffers.

Those are just my thoughts...
Thanks! I appreciate your comments. Great points!

sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:33 AM
pwallll

Good for Tlusty. I just worry now that expectations will be too high for him next season.

pwallll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:12 AM
Hockeyfan_86

Send a message via MSN to Hockeyfan_86
I had a thought when I read this. Since I'm from near Hamilton I remember the days when Tomas Plekanec was the Bulldogs leading scorer and doing very well for the dogs, and he eventually turned into a pretty decent player.
Is Tlusty anything like Plekanec? Does he have the potential to score similar point totals?

Hockeyfan_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:23 AM
johnunit

Send a message via MSN to johnunit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan_86 View Post
I had a thought when I read this. Since I'm from near Hamilton I remember the days when Tomas Plekanec was the Bulldogs leading scorer and doing very well for the dogs, and he eventually turned into a pretty decent player.
Is Tlusty anything like Plekanec? Does he have the potential to score similar point totals?
Tlusty is a significantly different player thank Pleks. He's way further to the shoot-first end of the playmaker-sniper spectrum. He is also a good bit bigger and has shown the ability to use that size to his advantage. They're both offensively gifted players from the same corner of the world, but Tlusty is much more of a straight-ahead sniper type.

I do, however, see him having the upside of what Plekanecs did last year. If he develops into a 60-80 point player, I'd say he met expectations. I highly doubt he gets any better than that, though, and like I said, expect more of those to be goals than assists compared to Pleks.

johnunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:50 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

Jiri Tlusty will not be traded. at least not anytime soon.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 02:38 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

nice too see he really is lighting it up

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 02:59 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
This latest hot streak is an anomaly for Tlusty ..

Lets hope the Burke recognizes this mirage and trades him while his value is high ..

Buy low and sell high is the best strategy to deploy here with Tlusty, and the timing couldn't be better for Jiri to get hot.
he is just a kid mess give him another yr

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 04:52 AM
ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Can someone find some solid info on Jerome Flaake? He had a good WJC campaign, would like to see how has he been doing?

and.. yey Tlusty (i guess)
Well, his team, the Cologne Sharks, got eliminated from the playoff and pre-playoff race early and they decided to trim their rooster a little bit for the last games and gave their youth a better chance to show themselves. And since Flaake got more quality time, he's doing great. He ended the season with 43 games played in which he scored 5 goals and 11 assists (+2, 22 pim). The last 10 games of the season he scored 9 points

Thats a big jump from his 30 games with 1 assist and 4th line minutes in his last season. Before the last 2 or 3 games, team manager Rodion Pauels said about him "... Of course he doesn't play with the same consistency as a veteran player, but he already counts to our high performers as an 18 year old ..." source in German

I think he showed good signs of development, but we'll have to wait and see, what his team plans for the future will be.
If they rebuild the team around new foreign "star" players it could be a lost year for flaake. But if Gogulla realy goes to the AHL next season, Flaake has a really good shot at his spot IMO.

ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 05:37 AM
johnunit

Send a message via MSN to johnunit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts View Post
Well, his team, the Cologne Sharks, got eliminated from the playoff and pre-playoff race early and they decided to trim their rooster a little bit for the last games and gave their youth a better chance to show themselves. And since Flaake got more quality time, he's doing great. He ended the season with 43 games played in which he scored 5 goals and 11 assists (+2, 22 pim). The last 10 games of the season he scored 9 points

Thats a big jump from his 30 games with 1 assist and 4th line minutes in his last season. Before the last 2 or 3 games, team manager Rodion Pauels said about him "... Of course he doesn't play with the same consistency as a veteran player, but he already counts to our high performers as an 18 year old ..." source in German

I think he showed good signs of development, but we'll have to wait and see, what his team plans for the future will be.
If they rebuild the team around new foreign "star" players it could be a lost year for flaake. But if Gogulla realy goes to the AHL next season, Flaake has a really good shot at his spot IMO.

What can you tell us about the contract situation in Germany? Is there any chance of him playing somewhere in North America now that the season is done, without angering his DEL team?

Also, what are the strengths and weaknesses of his game right now?

johnunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:49 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Three Stars:
1. TOR - J. Tlusty
2. TOR - T. Stapleton
3. PRO - M. Lehtonen

Looks like Tlusty let it go to his head.

6 points against Rask tonight.

Old
03-04-2009, 09:05 PM
samwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Three Stars:
1. TOR - J. Tlusty
2. TOR - T. Stapleton
3. PRO - M. Lehtonen

Looks like Tlusty let it go to his head.

6 points against Rask tonight.
He got a good start on AHL player of the month for March

samwitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Zardoz

Who wants to tell mess about tonight?

probably 6 soft points anyway.

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:04 PM
ugotmybeef*

Maybe Leasty's Marty Havlat comparisons were right.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:05 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanLackey View Post
Who wants to tell mess about tonight?

probably 6 soft points anyway.
Well, they were against Tuuka Rask.

Darned if he does and darned if he doesn't.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:07 PM
ToneBone03
#Facepalm

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/game-s...ame_id=1005668

Oh baby, another 2 goals and 4 assists tonight.

50GP 23G 33A 56P +13 24PIM

ToneBone03 is online now   Reply With Quote