HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alex Burrows re-signed with Vancouver

Old
03-04-2009, 04:16 AM
Tripwyre

vCash: 500
I laughed heartily at any fanbase that thought they could sign Burrows this summer. Especially the Leafs, too funny. There was absolutely no chance this guy left Vancouver this summer.

Tripwyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 04:16 AM
timorousme
luongod

i dunno

think i'd rather have the 10 first rounders

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 04:45 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
He was the *ONE* player that proved that you couldn't stick anybody with the Sedins and score goals. I once thought that when Wade Brookbank scored a couple goals riding shotgun with them in a few games a number of years ago.
Oh god, you just reminded me of that game where he was put with the Sedins. I still cringe about that one.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 05:46 AM
David71

awesome

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 06:48 AM
The Chef*

man, what a great signing.

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 07:08 AM
BritSabre

Pretty good value for a 2nd/3rd liner. Seems like a fan favourite so great move by management to get him signed long term.

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 07:31 AM
John Belushi

Comparable to the Trent Hunter deal, although with one less year on the term.

I was hoping for 1.75, but honestly Burrows could have easily acquired as much as 3 mil on the open market, especially from a team with cap space like Toronto or Atlanta.

Good to see him locked up for 4 more seasons, however.

John Belushi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 07:44 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Maybe this will make Neil realize his worth becaus Burrows in triple the player.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:08 AM
DirtyCrease

Nice move Nuks

DirtyCrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:32 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Good price even if he sticks between 12-18 goals per year over that period.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:39 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Just my opinion, but at first glance I would say Burrows got some bad advice. That's not a lot of money these days for a player that's not at this peak yet. Burrows seems like he could be another Lucic, just not as hulking and a little slower developing. An all-purpose player that will probably score around 25 goals every year after this one? I think he ripped himself off.

I'd say he could have been a lock to get at least $500k more.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:25 AM
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Just my opinion, but at first glance I would say Burrows got some bad advice. That's not a lot of money these days for a player that's not at this peak yet. Burrows seems like he could be another Lucic, just not as hulking and a little slower developing. An all-purpose player that will probably score around 25 goals every year after this one? I think he ripped himself off.

Burrows doesn't seem like the type of guy to go for the most money. I'm sure his agent was advising him of potentially better deals being available in the summer, but I think Burrows likes the situation here in Vancouver with a team that gave him a chance. He seems like a loyal guy who genuinely understands what it means to be in the NHL and remembers his days in the ECHL not to long ago.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Ayiio

Awesome deal for both parites.
Burrows bring way more to the game than just points.
I'm sure he could have got more if he tested the market.

Ayiio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:55 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
Burrows doesn't seem like the type of guy to go for the most money. I'm sure his agent was advising him of potentially better deals being available in the summer, but I think Burrows likes the situation here in Vancouver with a team that gave him a chance. He seems like a loyal guy who genuinely understands what it means to be in the NHL and remembers his days in the ECHL not to long ago.
That's fine but I'm saying even without trying the squeeze the best offer from some team in the summer I'd say $2.5m or $2.75 per year would still be a reasonable deal from the Canucks side. J. Staal is making $4 million and I'm sure a lot of Canucks fans would say Burrows is simply better than him.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:07 PM
0123456789*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post

Well the problem is he isnt skilled enough to score 25 a year, BUT he has the heart and work ethic to make up for that. He really is a player that can surprise even more. But there comes a risk with that, players like him get beat up and can eventually lose their work ethic, and then their heart and confidence and then they just fade out of the line up. Burrows is playing amazing right now, he deserves every penny right now plus some, he is the heart and sould of the team right now, im just personally worried that he playing way over his head and wont be able to keep it up. But like I said, he is also the type of player that I look at and think he can prove me wrong and get even better.

I cant complain about the signing, if he continues playing like he is right now then its a bargain. Also in the summer he would of gotten a much bigger offer from someone.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:37 PM
kingfisher

burrows and kesler man, they never stop working

kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:47 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
I do remember people freaking out about how dumb Nonis was to give him a 3-year, one way deal at 480,000.
Yes, but you can't give Nonis any credit for that move. He was "just lucky." The confidence Nonis showed in him has nothing to do with the player he is today or the loyalty he showed in signing a discounted contract.

Little known fact: Mike Gillis found Burrows as a child abandoned in the woods and raised him as his own, let him suckle off his teats and play with his eye bags every night as he fell asleep in his arms.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:50 PM
jd22

Send a message via MSN to jd22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
Yes, but you can't give Nonis any credit for that move. He was "just lucky." The confidence Nonis showed in him has nothing to do with the player he is today or the loyalty he showed in signing a discounted contract.

Little known fact: Mike Gillis found Burrows as a child abandoned in the woods and raised him as his own, let him suckle off his teats and play with his eye bags every night as he fell asleep in his arms.

That'd disgusting. Hah.

Anyway, great signing for the Canucks. Burrows was definitely stoked at the game last night.

jd22 is offline   Reply With Quote