HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Derek Morris to be a devil or flyer

Old
03-04-2009, 07:22 AM
BrindamoursNose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Why do you think that having BIG NAMES on your roster = automatic stardom ?!?!?

Didn't you learn anything from the Ranger days when they wanted to add every all-star available and ended up blowing in their faces... same thing with Colorado when they had Sakic, Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne, Hedjuk, etc.
I know you were trying to make a point, but you did a ****** job making it.

Tell me, who did Colorado have anchoring their blueline when they won the Cup a few seasons before the failed one you're talking about? Rob Blake, Ray Bourque and Adam Foote. Who'd they have on offense? The list goes on and on with good-to-star players.....

So I'm just saying, if you're going to use a team without star power, don't use the Avs from that year, lol, they're were packed with stars.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 07:28 AM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Just a note to everyone: WJF in no way represents Coyotes fans. Infact he is blocked by most of the Coyotes' board. If you're going to pay mind to what he says, don't associate it with the rest of our opinions.

Back on topic: As was said before, whoever gets Morris is going to love him. He puts it all on the line every night.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 07:30 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I know you were trying to make a point, but you did a ****** job making it.

Tell me, who did Colorado have anchoring their blueline when they won the Cup a few seasons before the failed one you're talking about? Rob Blake, Ray Bourque and Adam Foote. Who'd they have on offense? The list goes on and on with good-to-star players.....

So I'm just saying, if you're going to use a team without star power, don't use the Avs from that year, lol, they're were packed with stars.
i think a better example would be the rangers pre-lockout, where old stars went to retire.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:36 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Paul Martin is the best defenseman in the Atlantic division.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post
After Kimmo Timonen, perhaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKREDTHAKILLA View Post
no hes better than timonen

The problem with the Flyers defense is that they don't play a sound defensive system like the Devils. They really on the d to make plays and have never heard of the trap. Timonen is the key to the Flyers defense because he is flat out an amazing player. Coburn is good, but he has had a sophomore slump since being moved off the top pairing with Timonen, which is not a surprise. Coburn and Carle have made strides recently, but let's hope they continue to work out.

Ryan Parent and Kimmo Timonen played together last night, and the defense was incredible.

My personal list for top D-men in the Atlantic.

1. Timonen (homer pick, but I watch this guy play night in and night out, and he is just such a smart player, he doesnt make mistakes)
2. Gonchar (also a very smart player)
3. Streit
4. Martin
5. Staal

my 2 cents

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:49 AM
duffy9748

I agree Paul Martin is definitely very underrated. But he isn't close to Timonen. The flyers probably would not be a playoff team if they didnt have Kimmo.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
It drives me nuts that Flyers fans live in this fantasy world where they think you can have good goaltending and defense and have three really good scoring lines. That's NOT possible.
Its not living in a fantasy land, it is possible. It doesn't make sense to trade 3 people, 2 of them forwards, for 2 when we are at the minimum of players. What he was saying is that if we did that we'd have to bring up AHL players which would really weaken our foward depth. If you trade Lupul and a Dman it makes more sense because you replace the Dman you traded with Morris and bring up an AHL guy, probably Kukkonen, for the 7th spot. Thats the way you maximize the effectiveness of our lineup. We'd maintain our 3 scoring lines by moving Giroux up to Lupul's spot, and putting Nodl or Powe on Briere's wing. We'd add Morris to our D, and swap Biron for Bryz. So that would be quality D, goaltending and 3 scoring lines.

If we traded Upshall and Lupul our lineup would have AHL players playing with Briere, negating his effectiveness even further at even strength, and a 4th line of Asham and 2 AHL players. Thats far too many young players that really aren't that good. Its different when you have veterans that aren't that great on your 3rd and 4th line in the playoffs, but you can't have players making rookie mistakes. I'd be much more comfortable with our team as it stands now then a team with Morris on the blueline and AHL forwards up front.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:57 AM
bakunin

I'd do that one in a heartbeat.

bakunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:05 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Why would the Coyotes bring in a goaltender?

The only reason a goalie should be coming back to Phoenix is if:

A) He is going to be flipped to another team as was mentioned yesterday with rumors...

or

B) It is a young goaltending prospect who will be a future starter for the organization

Otherwise, the Yotes don't need a goalie, especially someone like Biron who is pretty much the same as Bryzgalov.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Why would the Coyotes bring in a goaltender?

The only reason a goalie should be coming back to Phoenix is if:

A) He is going to be flipped to another team as was mentioned yesterday with rumors...

or

B) It is a young goaltending prospect who will be a future starter for the organization

Otherwise, the Yotes don't need a goalie, especially someone like Biron who is pretty much the same as Bryzgalov.
With less talent and no contract.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:24 AM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
With less talent and no contract.
Montoya says Hi.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
I agree Paul Martin is definitely very underrated. But he isn't close to Timonen. The flyers probably would not be a playoff team if they didnt have Kimmo.
The Devils are 3-6 in games this season when Paul Martin doesn't play.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:28 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDubiToZherdev View Post
Montoya says Hi.
Montoya is a complete and total bust. I don't imagine he'll ever start a single NHL game in his entire life.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:29 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

With Pronger and Kuba now both off the block, does Morris' value go up? Especially if Florida and Toronto decide to hang onto their respective marquee defensemen? Or will teams feel less pressure knowing they won't have to attempt to match their rivals, splash for splash?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:30 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
The Devils have a winning record without Brodeur, but a losing record without Martin. That alone should tell you how much he means to this team.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Jakeman

The coyotes won't know if Montoya is a bust until he gets a sniff of the NHL. Going on his stats this season he isn't looking good, however he did play good last season for the Rampage as did Tordjman. If I was to chose between the two it would be Tordjman that has surpassed Montoya.

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
It drives me nuts that Flyers fans live in this fantasy world where they think you can have good goaltending and defense and have three really good scoring lines. That's NOT possible.

The Detroit Red Wings seem to have done a pretty good job of it.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Jakeman

I think Morris is going to the Flyers when everything is said and done. Hopefully it doesn't involve Brys.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
The Devils have a winning record without Brodeur, but a losing record without Martin. That alone should tell you how much he means to this team.
Those 9 game samples. You can apply the weight of the world to that stuff. Martin is a good defenseman, but the talent on the Devs blueline isn't overwhelming, their strength comes from excellent team play...which, at the end of the day, is a better thing to have going for you than high-level skill; it is a team sport, after all.

By your logic...you'd rather give up Brodeur than Martin if it was necessary. Really?

However, there's a reason Timonen has played in a few All-Star games and received high standing in the Norris voting...and Martin has not. Though, as an American, I desperately hope he elevates his game to that level...as we're going to absolutely need him in international play the next few years.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:12 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
I think Morris is going to the Flyers when everything is said and done. Hopefully it doesn't involve Brys.
What about this?

#1: To Phoenix - Lupul, Biron, pick/prospect. To Philly: Bryz, Morris

#2: To Phoenix - Josh Harding, Eric Belanger, pick/prospect. To Wild: O. Jokinen, Tellqvist

#3: To Phoenix - Defensive prospect. To Chicago: Reip.

From Phoenix's perspective, Lupul replaces Jokinen, Harding/Biron replaces Bryz/Tellqvist, Belanger replaces Reinp, and they gain a ton of picks/prospects to replace Morris. Plus, Phoenix saves money and gets much younger.

Seems like exactly what Phoenix needs.

Last edited by nickschultzfan: 03-04-2009 at 10:21 AM.
nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
They showed on the Flyers Bruins game last night the Flyers stats without Timonen. I wish i could remember exactly what they were but I believe their recored was 2-2-1. However, they scored about twice as many goals when he played, and had a powerplay over 22% as opposed to one that was I belive 8.6% without him.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Jakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
What about this?

#1: To Phoenix - Lupul, Biron, pick/prospect. To Philly: Bryz, Morris

#2: To Phoenix - Josh Harding, Eric Belanger, pick/prospect. To Wild: O. Jokinen, Tellqvist

#3: To Phoenix - Forward prospect. To Chicago: Reip.

From Phoenix's perspective, Lupul replaces Jokinen, Harding/Biron replaces Bryz/Tellqvist, Belanger replaces Reinp, and they gain a ton of picks/prospects to replace Morris. Plus, Phoenix saves money and gets much younger.

Seems like exactly what Phoenix needs.
Brygalov isn't going anywhere. Biron is UFA , Brys is signed for 2 more years no deal.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:20 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Brygalov isn't going anywhere. Biron is UFA , Brys is signed for 2 more years no deal.
You do realize that Josh Harding is a goalie right? And a very good young goalie at that? He would replace Bryzgalov, not Biron.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:28 AM
ALine9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcb231 View Post
Marc Staal
What?

ALine9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:49 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
LeBrun (11:40 a.m. ET): E.J., speaking of the Coyotes, just got off the phone with a source who said other teams are now in the mix for Morris, not just Boston, Washington and Philly. In fact, some of the teams calling today are from the West. The Coyotes had spoken mostly to the Bruins, Caps and Flyers over the last 48 hours for Morris, but with no deal done at this point. They've opened up the market to other teams. Speaking of defensemen, the Flames have acquired Jordan Leopold (UFA July 1) from the Colorado Avalanche.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3950511

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:52 AM
ALine9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post
Is he also an all-star, norris-trophy-caliber d-man?

You still didn't answer the question, if the Devils D is sooo amazing, top-4 in the league and all that, why did Lou go hunting for D-man on the thrashers roster???
To strengthen the defense?

Wow.

ALine9900 is offline   Reply With Quote