HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penalties for/against lately

Old
03-04-2009, 02:22 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
Penalties for/against lately

I'm not usually that bad of a sports conspiracy theorist but it seems like the Blues are getting absolute sh** for calls over the past ten or so games. A few bad calls against them, but mostly a lot of really bad non-calls in favor of the opposition.

While I wasn't fond of the officiating tonight, particularly the calls on Perron and Polak, this is not motivated by tonight's game. I've been thinking this for a while and only just got bored enough to mention it.

I doubt there are any stats to support this, but I almost always notice the officiating shift down the stretch in favor of the playoff-bound teams. How rare is it that a team that hits the allstar break in 1-5 range in their conference drops a significant number of places? I don't mean out of the playoffs entirely, but just going on a really bad run. It seems like a cinderella run UP the standings by one team is more common than any of those top 10 teams dropping by more than a place or two.
Again, I don't have the stats to support this, but it seems to me that NHL officiating shifts to favor teams that have been in playoff position or have been making the playoffs recently.

I never felt like the Blues got the shaft from officials regularly when they were making the playoffs. But last year in particular was heinous down the stretch. It felt like the Blues were legitimately in the game and then it was just given to the other team due to phantom calls and non-calls.

I didn't feel like the Blues got the shaft from officials regularly this year before. At least no more than any other team. But what do you know, the Blues have a good powerplay, then they go on a run, and suddenly they aren't getting the calls. So now their powerplay is rusty.

I know I'm talking about a lot of "seems like" and consecutive coincidences. I don't have facts to verify this. But with the homer glasses off, I've seen this happen to other bottom-dwellers in the past several years.
Anybody else feel this way? Sure maybe just about the Blues, but about the NHL in general. Those of you who have Center Ice, let me know if you see this going on if you happen to catch some matchups between a top ten team and a bottom ten team.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 02:33 AM
Bluester

I agree with you rumrokh. It would be one thing if it was going both ways. Missed calls or too many phantom calls but it isn't. Seems like if one of our guys sneezed and the oppisition fell we would get called for tripping or if he fell hard enough roughing.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Agreed. But tonight was horrid. How do you call Osgood for tripping and Perron for diving? How can you dive if you are tripped? And how can you trip someone if they are diving? Horrid call.

Winchester's "trip" was another BS call. His stick wasn't even near the guy who fell.

Polak's roughing penalty was the result of the hit, not the hit itself which if you are calling it like that, you should not be officiating in this league.

Randall Ritchey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:07 AM
blue bleeder 24-7

The officiating last night was bad, but I haven't noticed it for any stretch of games.

I've sort of come up with a personal policy that, other than during the game itself, it's juts silly to argue about poor officiating. The refs suck, everyone knows it, good teams get over it and win games.

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:45 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshniak View Post
Agreed. But tonight was horrid. How do you call Osgood for tripping and Perron for diving? How can you dive if you are tripped? And how can you trip someone if they are diving? Horrid call.

Winchester's "trip" was another BS call. His stick wasn't even near the guy who fell.

Polak's roughing penalty was the result of the hit, not the hit itself which if you are calling it like that, you should not be officiating in this league.
Let me preface with saying I didn't see the game so am not arguing the call, just your questions.

Player X tripped Player Y. Player Y tried to embelish the fall to get the call. 2 penalties, one play. Not 2 girls, 1 cup.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
Let me preface with saying I didn't see the game so am not arguing the call, just your questions.

Player X tripped Player Y. Player Y tried to embelish the fall to get the call. 2 penalties, one play. Not 2 girls, 1 cup.
Well if player X trips player Y and gets called for tripping....it is only logical to say that player Y did fall down (I don't remember seeing many trips called where a player didn't fall). If player Y fell down due to the action (of a trip, agreed upon by the referee due to the tripping call), how can player Y also have dove? The logic behind calling a trip and a dive on two involved players at the same time is just faulty.

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Well if player X trips player Y and gets called for tripping....it is only logical to say that player Y did fall down (I don't remember seeing many trips called where a player didn't fall). If player Y fell down due to the action (of a trip, agreed upon by the referee due to the tripping call), how can player Y also have dove? The logic behind calling a trip and a dive on two involved players at the same time is just faulty.
the key word in my explanation is embelish. I am merely explaining how it is possible, not excusing it or defending it.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:24 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

I agree that it's possible to legitimately be tripped, hooked, high-sticked, whatever and then embellish. What happened between Perron and Osgood was absolutely nothing of the sort. And then when Perron got out of the box, he was interfered with something FIERCE while trying to get back down the ice, right in front of the ref.

I think the diving and embellishment is a lot worse for the league than penalties that have been ignored by refs for decades. Guys will stop diving after you stop making the initial call and only call the dive. But prescriptive officiating is not something the league needs to muddy things up, especially since, as mentioned, the reffing is already pretty shoddy.

Once again, my complaint was not specifically with last night. I would have posted this even if last night was fine.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote