HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most dangerous player(s) 1-on-1?

Old
03-04-2009, 03:35 AM
VMBM

vCash: 500
Most dangerous player(s) 1-on-1?

If you were a defenseman, what player would have scared you the most? I.e. who had the greatest ability to fool you? Here's my little list:

1. Sergei Makarov
-If you don't believe me, watch the '84 Canada Cup semifinal or the '87 finals, or just about any game he played in. It was more about SKILLS than speed, even though he was extraordinaly fast. Almost impossible to handle.

2. Mario Lemieux
- He had the size, reach and great hands.

3. Bobby Orr
- Still I haven't seen enough of PRIME Orr, but I'm beginning to see the light. Seemed to have the sort of 'extra gear' that the others didn't have. I suspect he is #1 for many.

4. Gilbert Perreault
- Am I overrating him a bit? Well, here he is anyway. The goal he scored in the 4th game of the Summit Series is a classic. I bet he scored a few other ones like that in the NHL too.

5. Valeri Kharlamov
- He challenged defensemen quite often, and I think he fairly often 'lost', too, but when he didn't, it usually resulted to a beautiful goal.

Others that come to mind: Peter Forsberg, Denis Savard, Helmut Balderis, Jaromir Jagr, Bobby Hull, Vladimir Martinec...

Last edited by VMBM: 03-05-2009 at 05:13 AM.
VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 04:07 AM
TrevorLinden16

has to be Lemieux in my mind. So brilliant. Bure could dangle too.

TrevorLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
MXD

Lemieux ahead of Makarov. Actually, Lemieux ahead of everybody.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:37 AM
100mph slapshot

Lemieux.

He didn't just beat you 1 on 1, he embarrassed you.

100mph slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Dark Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMH View Post
If you were a defenseman (or a goalie), what player would have scared you the most? I.e. who had the greatest ability to fool you? Here's my little list:

1. Sergei Makarov
-If you don't believe me, watch the '84 Canada Cup semifinal or the '87 finals, or just about any game he played in. It was more about SKILLS than speed, even though he was extraordinaly fast. Almost impossible to handle.

2. Mario Lemieux

3. Bobby Orr
- Still I haven't seen enough of PRIME Orr, but I'm beginning to see the light. Seemed to have the sort of 'extra gear' that the others didn't have. I suspect he is #1 for many.

4. Gilbert Perreault
- Am I overrating him a bit? Well, here he is anyway. The goal he scored in the 4th game of the Summit Series is a classic. I bet he scored a few other ones like that in the NHL too.

5. Valeri Kharlamov
- He challenged defensemen quite often, and I think he fairly often 'lost', too, but when he didn't, it usually resulted to a beautiful goal.

Others that come to mind: Peter Forsberg, Denis Savard, Helmut Balderis, Jaromir Jagr, Bobby Hull, Vladimir Martinec...
Greatest one on one moves to fool a defenseman or 3?

Denis Savard. Hands down.

Fooling a defenseman and the goalie? Mario Lemieux

Savard could outdangle anyone, but he did not have Lemieux's ability to always put the puck anywhere he wanted to from any position. You could hang a target the size of a dime in the net and Lemieux would hit it every time even while giving a defender a piggyback. If a goalie left the smallest crack on the shortside, he would pick it. Lemieux had comparable dangling skills(Although I give Savard the nod) but was much better at actually scoring the goal. In fact, when Lemieux was clear by the defenseman, it was almost 100% assured to be a goal unless you literally tackled him to the ice, And I once saw him score a top shelfer from flat on the ice with 2 Defensemen tackling him.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:56 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Dominik Hasek (according to Gaborik)

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Puckhead58*

My vote goes to Mario Lemieux!! How many times have we seen him undress a number of players to go in, deke the goalie out and score a big goal??? There are so many highlights of him doing that its just amazing.

As far as I'm concerned....Mario is the man 1on1!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 02:28 PM
HotPie

Don't think anyone was better than Lemieux 1-1.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Stonefly

Quote:
If you were a defenseman (or a goalie), what player would have scared you the most? I.e. who had the greatest ability to fool you? Here's my little list:

1. Sergei Makarov

2. Mario Lemieux

3. Bobby Orr

4. Gilbert Perreault

5. Valeri Kharlamov

Lemieux and Savard are a toss up for me. Savard would weave his magic at top speed most times. Absolutely amazing. Lemieux didn't have the blazing speed Savard had but he could still make players look like juniors. It seemed he could do it at his full speed or slow motion.

Perreault is an excellent pick. Great moves for a big man.

Lafleur, Hull and Orr could just blow by guys like they were frozen to the ice.

Stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Houndpower

The "Rocket" .....Maurice Richard for you young guns.

Houndpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:37 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Surprised to not see Gretzky listed by anyone. Not because he had the best 1-on-1 moves, but because he had eyes in the back of his head. I'd be terrified that if I paid too much attention to him, he'd burn my team with the perfect pass to a guy nobody else knew was there.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Dark Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndpower View Post
The "Rocket" .....Maurice Richard for you young guns.
I saw the Rocket play much of his career and he was a ferocious presence in goal scoring. But one on one? Sorry. There were certainly better one on one players than Maurice Richard

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Bohemian93

lemieux, he was big,intimitating and was an amazing dangler

Bohemian93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Al Bundy*

Mario Lemieux- made the finest players look like pylons.

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:08 AM
huntison

Pavel Bure!

huntison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:38 AM
Fredrik_71

Lemieux! He could dangle, had speed, had size and had the "touch"!

/Cheers

Fredrik_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:29 AM
VMBM

I guess Lemieux is the man then! Well, it's not like I totally forgot him...

So no love for Makarov? If he had been the same size as #66, then you'd agree with me. I don't know, it always looked to me that when Makarov wanted to beat a defenseman, he did it, and often made the poor guy look foolish (probably the most famous example was versus Larry Robinson in the '84 CC).

Forgot to mention Alexander Maltsev.

Old
03-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Der Kaiser

Denis Savard and Mario Lemieux. Bit hard to separate them, gut feeling is that Lemieux had the tools to beat the defender by other ways than just dangling. Had I been a defenseman I'd probably be more afraid of facing Lemieux 1on1 with his many ways to beat you, but Savard might just've been the most unpredictable guy to face. You thought you'd figured out what he was about to do, and then he did the opposite, amazing technique.

Once past the defender I would add Pavel Bure to the mix, extremely competent breakaway-guy.

Der Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Hockeynomad

AMH, all the above can qualify, but interesting one definitely could be considered #1 here is Gilbert Perreault.

But when talking of greatness, his name rarely comes up. Not sure why.

Hockeynomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Rick Middleton is very underrated in this regard.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Inner Gear

Kharlamov.

Inner Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Mad Habber

Took 20 responses to name Middleton.

Lemieux is at the top because not only would he stickhandle but he'd move you aside with his size and strength.

Savard with stickhandling alone.

Bure with speed.

Kovalev now with stickhandling size and strength, if he's in the mood. Problem is he keeps coming back to beat the same player.

Guys like Lafleur, Orr took advantage of guys that were slower than they were.

The Rocket from the footage I've seen was more of an opportunist with unreal determination in close. Like he smelled blood. Beliveau was more of a stickhandler and more dangerous one on one than the Rocket.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:54 PM
VMBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynomad View Post
AMH, all the above can qualify, but interesting one definitely could be considered #1 here is Gilbert Perreault.

But when talking of greatness, his name rarely comes up. Not sure why.
He was probably the best Canadian forward in the '76 Canada Cup, and one of the best in the '79 Challenge Cup and '81 Canada Cup. Big, strong and very skillful, plus an excellent skater. I remember that in some interview Peter Stastny named him as the guy they (ie. the Czechs) feared the most in the '76 Canada Cup. And despite all the 'Bob Gainey nonsense'(?), I believe the Soviets also thought that Perreault was Canada's best player in the late Seventies.

I never really heard about him, when I was growing up (in Finland). Yet the more I see him play (in those old classic games), the more impressed I am. There never seems to be much enthusiasm about this guy, and I really don't understand why. Maybe his NHL career left something to be desired (first and foremost, winning the Stanley Cup), but both his regular season and playoff numbers are quite impressive, if not spectacular. Was he just that much better in those few international tournaments, and thus I might be overrating him? I remember some guy saying here that he never saw Perreault play better than in the '76 Canada Cup.

What I mean by all this is that Perreault is tops in my opinion!

Old
03-05-2009, 01:28 PM
MXD

Quote:
I guess Lemieux is the man then! Well, it's not like I totally forgot him...

So no love for Makarov? If he had been the same size as #66, then you'd agree with me. I don't know, it always looked to me that when Makarov wanted to beat a defenseman, he did it, and often made the poor guy look foolish (probably the most famous example was versus Larry Robinson in the '84 CC).

Forgot to mention Alexander Maltsev.
If all players would have been Lemieux's size, I would give the nod to Denis Savard, not Makarov.

Lemieux's main advantage against Savard is that he could use his strength and range. Things Savard didn't really possessed.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Hockeynomad

AMD, he was the top Canadian player in 1981 Canada Cup until he broke his ankle against was it Sweden?

He was on a line with Gretzky and Lafleur. Team Canada went downhill after that.

His first big international game was as a junior in Xmas 1969 playing against Soviet B team and was very prominent in a 9-3 win.

Next in 1975 against the Soviet Wings I believe he had 3 goals in a 12-6 win.

He and Richard Martin was awesome in that game.

His pure, natural ability to stickhandle was phenomenal and I do remember that he was the one the Soviets feared the most.

After he retired in 1986 he just really vanished from the hockey scene. No one really spoke about his playing exploits. Unbelievable.

Hockeynomad is offline   Reply With Quote