HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey Shouldn't Be Blamed for This Year

Old
04-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Steveshutt

vCash: 500
Gainey Shouldn't Be Blamed for This Year

If anyone deserves blame for this year it's Carbonneau, the partying players and mostly, injuries. If Gainey had been coaching the team from the beginning of the year we'd be right up at the top of the conference right now.

The only major mistake Gainey has made is how he handled Price and Halak. Halak should have had more of a chance and should be the #1 with Price as the #1A. His loyalty to Price has hurt the team.

Also, I think we need to do some serious apologizing to Kovalev about how he was treated during the epic slump because clearly the guy bleeds bleu, blanc, rouge and hopefully will resign next season.

If we have the same team next year (give or take a Kostitsyn) I think we can challenge again after this unfortunate hiccup.

Steveshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Mise en echec
Nothin' but mammals

No one's to blame for all the injuries.

Mise en echec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Dark4ng3l

You can't blame Bob. Based on last year everyone would have made similar moves to what he did. Lang, Tanguay and Schneider have been awesome additions to the team so his decisions have been good. The problem this year has been distractions, poorly performing young players and injuries to our best players.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Steveshutt

Exactly. I just hope the player's aren't too turned off of re-signing after all the melodrama.

Gainey's brains (and balls) have been commendable to say the least.

Also, as much as I disagree with the way he's handled Price I fully expect him to be ahead of the learning curve and in superstar form within two or three years. Short-term pain for long-term gain...

Old
04-07-2009, 10:30 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev
Higgins-Lang-Kostitsyn
Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopoulos
Plekanec/*someone else*-Metropolit-Kostitsyn/*someone else*

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Schneider
Bouillon-Gorges

Price-Halak

what could have been

The fact that we can still make the playoffs is a testament to our depth. Teams like Dallas crumbled much harder because of injuries.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Steveshutt

What do you think we could get for the Kostistyns?

I hope we resign all the free agents at this point.

Old
04-07-2009, 10:34 PM
ShuttFan

Toronto is the Mecca of hockey. Montreal is Jerusalem. Using the centennial to show the other 29 teams that this is true, by way of 25 minute pre-game celebrations - has shown a bit of arrogance on our part. The arrogance does not sit well with our opponents, and they play us a whole lot harder.

That's one against the organization.

We continue to hire management that were involved with the 70's & 80's model, where speed could beat size. That is no longer the case, IMO. We misused our size (Laraque) this year by not giving him more of a Lapierre provoker role. As long as Montreal tries to define the game as opposed to adapting to it, we will continue to be out in the first round.

That's two against the organization.

Injuries killed the rest.

Carbonneau, Gainey, Kovy, and the rest never stood a chance.

ShuttFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:35 PM
lxzred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveshutt View Post
The only major mistake Gainey has made is how he handled Price and Halak. Halak should have had more of a chance and should be the #1 with Price as the #1A. His loyalty to Price has hurt the team.
In all fairness (and me being a bit of a Halak fanboy) Halak sucked in the beginning of the year and price deserved to be the started until the all-star break

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Dark4ng3l

Quote:
What do you think we could get for the Kostistyns?

I hope we resign all the free agents at this point.
Bad time to sell them off, they aren't going to go anywhere but up in value in the near future...

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Steveshutt

I suppose. If only Price had been held out of the All-Star game...

Old
04-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Steveshutt

Detroit won with speed last year...

Old
04-07-2009, 10:43 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
.... Among other things !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

I know I won't blame him

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
.... Among other things !
Like what... Does anyone have actual proof that Carey Price actually did anything wrong? This so called partying did someone here actually party with him? Man I am so sick of the complete bashing of this kid... give him a break.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:50 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
They also had 3 superstars... terrible comparison.

Oh, I forgot... If Akost is given the chance he'll produce as well as Getzlaf, Carter, Parise etc... What a bunch of garbage.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:52 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
This is partially our faults. We voted him in.

JustAHabFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 10:56 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev
Higgins-Lang-Kostitsyn
Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopoulos
Plekanec/*someone else*-Metropolit-Kostitsyn/*someone else*

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Schneider
Bouillon-Gorges

Price-Halak

what could have been

The fact that we can still make the playoffs is a testament to our depth. Teams like Dallas crumbled much harder because of injuries.
Exactly.

And as far as blaming Carbo? I find its a slippery slope. The team went out of Control, aren't the Captains supposed to take control aswell as the coach? I mean I've heard alot of rumors about Kovalev putting his foot down etc... But after a Rock bottom year like this? You really want to start casting blame? I suggest we focus on drafting well, and give Kudos to Gainey, we had a friggn bright future with our original Line up of non-injured players. I feel if we still had Lang we would be lethal. I've never seen so many players get injured in 1 year. Maybe its the staff not training them hard enough? Maybe they should have worked on conditioning more and more strenuous work outs to avoid injuries like this? Lang was the exception but what about All the shoulder injuries? I think the NHL is partially to blame for letting all of these calls slip by, and players taking advantage of that. Look at Grabovski, Komi said it perfectly, the game is out of control we are up 6-2 and you pull that ****? Its clearly intentional to injure another player when you check that hard. There's no respect anymore and these new generations of euro-players are really causing concern. I hope Grabovski was just a fluke.
For some reason we haven't had much luck with the Belorussians, Andrei just can't get his **** together, Sergei is either ripping Grabovski to shreds, or snorting lines off some convict's daughter? And Grabovski is causing trouble, bad locker room attitude and being all talk on the ice? It makes me feel really hesitant when I see Belorussians in the draft. I pray to God our players from Belarus get their **** together and learn to play Hockey again.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Garo

Dallas had it worse with injuries IMO. But the Habs are also a better team overall, so it's expected that they are above them.

But I agree with the general idea, I don't see how you can really blame Gainey for the mess.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:21 PM
LeMAD

The Habs are an average team and we got average results.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I blame Karma

and Kovalev

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:42 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
If anyone deserves blame for this year it's Carbonneau, the partying players and mostly, injuries. If Gainey had been coaching the team from the beginning of the year we'd be right up at the top of the conference right now.

Also, I think we need to do some serious apologizing to Kovalev about how he was treated during the epic slump because clearly the guy bleeds bleu, blanc, rouge and hopefully will resign next season.

If we have the same team next year (give or take a Kostitsyn) I think we can challenge again after this unfortunate hiccup.

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Montreal really isn't a speedy team. Teams like Chicago, Carolina, Buffalo, and Florida blow them out of the water in terms of speed.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by visorwearinghockey View Post
They also had 3 superstars... terrible comparison.

Oh, I forgot... If Akost is given the chance he'll produce as well as Getzlaf, Carter, Parise etc... What a bunch of garbage.
A.Kost has taken more time to develop no doubt. But in what many consider a horrible season, he has 23G.

Parise is really coming around this year, his 4th one. Getzlaf really blossomed in his 3rd season with 82pts. Carter last year was in the middle of trade rumors all season long, he's having a great season in what also is his 4th one.

Kostitsyn is only good for a trade although he's only in his 2nd season and has 23pts.

We'll see next year how he bounces back. Judging him in his 2nd season is ridiculous.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Kirk Muller

Gainey is the GM. Gainey is currently the coach. He had to fire his coach, his self admitted "best move," because the team that he built couldn't put together a full game. This is a team in pretty much the same position as when he took over.

I don't see how he doesn't deserve a lot of blame. If he is gonna get credit for last year, he has to take heat for this monumental failure that has become 2008-2009

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
I don't see how he doesn't deserve a lot of blame. If he is gonna get credit for last year, he has to take heat for this monumental failure that has become 2008-2009
Not really. He built last year's team, and improved it. It's not normal that a team finishes first and then with a better roster has to claw his way to the playoffs. It's not like Ottawa who lost a ton of good players.

Blaming the GM just seems easy to me.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote