HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Steve Sullivan

Old
02-17-2009, 12:36 AM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Steve Sullivan

Hi guys, Im a big fan of this guy, I know he came back about 2 weeks ago to play agaisnt Toronto and MTL but whats the deal with him right now? Does he play? If so, does he play well? thx for the infos

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Hi guys, Im a big fan of this guy, I know he came back about 2 weeks ago to play agaisnt Toronto and MTL but whats the deal with him right now? Does he play? If so, does he play well? thx for the infos
He's been playing as well as expected for a player that has had two back surgeries in the past 2 years

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:54 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
He's been playing as well as expected for a player that has had two back surgeries in the past 2 years
Which is to say that he doesn't work to win any individual battles, fumbles the puck and makes a poor decision whenever he has time, constantly cherry picks and blows the zone leading to turnovers and failed zone clears, etc?

He shows flashes of the Sully of old, but is by no means a top line player right now and at times is actually more of a detriment to the team than anything else.

Brutal, but honest.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 12:56 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
I often like to forget this. It's true he hasn't played in two years and his back is still pretty jacked up. But after 15 games, he just isn't doing anything for me and hasn't come close to resembling a top 6 forward. I'm probably just being impatient, which is unlike me, how much longer is he going to get 1st line minutes before we realize that he is just a shadow of his former self?

To OP, his body and mind are not in sync. He knows what he's supposed to do, but his body doesn't react fast enough to do it. His passes are slow and off target, he is a step behind everyone on the ice, and when he tries to make a fancy play, his hands screw it up for him.
It's not a matter of playing time. He's on the 1st line and 1st PP unit. He keeps his shifts short so he stays fresh, but gets plenty of shifts.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 01:26 AM
predfan24

The way sully plays he would need to start potting goals and become a PPG player to justify how he plays.

Since he came back I don't think I've seen him win one battle. He simply won't commit to hardly any contact. He's slower and is quite honestly terrible in both ends right now. (Not that he was ever good in our zone) Mabye I also am being too impatient but Shadow of his former self seems like the apporiate phrase to use when describing sully.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 10:22 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I'll say it, too.

At the level at which he appears to be able to perform, Sully is a detriment to this team for many of the reasons listed above. A 'warm your heart' story, but it is a costly one for a team struggling for each point.

He is awful on the powerplay, timing is still off, no velocity on his shot, cherry picks, does not win battles, avoids contact (for understandable reasons) all of that is true. I don't think it is possible for him to approach the player he once was.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2009, 11:25 AM
lugnut76

I feel for Arnott. He is posting pretty good numbers as of late, but has been playing with maybe our two worst forwards right now (Sully and Dumont)

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2009, 01:39 PM
flannelman
default user

vCash: 920
congrats to Sully getting back in the goal column!

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 11:11 PM
ChicagoBlues

I've always liked Steve Sullivan. Great scorer!

And slowly, but surely, he's climbing up the scoring charts on your team roster.

He is kinda old now. 34 usually isn't that old, but with his balky back.....well.....

Good luck to him!

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 05:04 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Well guys, Sully now has four goals in his last five games - and has been a point a game player since many of the comments in this thread were made.

What are your thoughts on his play of late?

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

His speed is diminished, his overall skills are not back up to where they used to be, but he still is probably the most creative and offensively smart player on the team. His cross-ice passing ability has been unmatched in Predator history save by Forsberg, and while it can be maddening when he forces the cross-ice pass, it is undeniable that it can be the most effective set/planned play for our offense. He seems to be finding his groove....We have to hope, as fans, that he continues to return to the Sully of old, or that his recent streak is not just that - a streak.

03-04-2009, 12:05 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
The way sully plays he would need to start potting goals and become a PPG player to justify how he plays.

Since he came back I don't think I've seen him win one battle. He simply won't commit to hardly any contact. He's slower and is quite honestly terrible in both ends right now. (Not that he was ever good in our zone) Mabye I also am being too impatient but Shadow of his former self seems like the apporiate phrase to use when describing sully.
Touche Sully, Touche

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 06:16 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Last night was the first glimpse of "the old Sully" that I've seen thus far. If he continues to play this way, it's like an awesome deadline move in itself.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote