HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How many teams can win the Cup ???

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2004, 12:11 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Bergevin won't play.
he's already played 2 games.. he's for sure #7

Old
03-13-2004, 12:27 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Toronto vs Colorodo

Toronto gets the cup

Ty Roy!!!!!!!

Old
03-13-2004, 12:42 AM
PecaFan

The Cup winner comes from the top 3 records (not seeds) in each conference almost every single year for the past 30 years. Exceptions were Pittsburgh, and the '86 Habs, notably under a far easier playoff system.

So at present, that gives you: Tampa, Philly, Boston, Detroit, Colorado, San Jose.

A couple of those may change by the end of the season, but you can take it to the bank at around 95% certainty when the standings are final.

Old
03-13-2004, 12:54 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
In reply to the topic... Only one each year.

Old
03-13-2004, 01:08 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
I can only hope that the rest of league underestimates the Canucks as well.
I don't think we are underestimating them. There is no way Rucinsky or Sanderson take the place of #44. He wasn't having a great year to beginning with. I think there was a little stretch of games where the Canucks couldn't win in regulation and I think it was a big amount of games.

Old
03-13-2004, 03:43 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

My legit contenders, in order:

Detroit
Toronto
New Jersey
Dallas
Colorado

Just missed the boat, in order:

Philadelphia
Ottawa
Vancouver

Old
03-13-2004, 07:29 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
he's already played 2 games.. he's for sure #7
When JoVo comes back .. Bergevin won't play.

Old
03-13-2004, 07:44 AM
FearTheFlyers

Don't understimate the Devils, No-one beat them last year, and they have an improved squad.

East Contenders

Philly
NJ
Ottawa
Toronto
Tampa

West Contenders

Colorado
Detroit
St.Louis

Old
03-13-2004, 09:44 AM
Newfie Bruin

Send a message via MSN to Newfie Bruin
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
It's not the goalie I question, but the defense.

I think the Bruins can beat anyone in the East. I just don't see them winning 4 rounds.
It all depends on Rayzor

Old
03-13-2004, 10:04 AM
DownFromNJ

I foresee no scenario where Toronto would get a cup this year.

Old
03-13-2004, 10:05 AM
MojoJojo

IMO there are more legit contenders in the East than at any other time I can remember. Leafs, Sens, Devils, Flyers are the obvious names, but Boston and Tampa can not be left out as serious threats, because they are as good as any team inthe NHL right now. Honestly I cant decide on a clear favorite, though I might be inclined to take Jersey off the list without Stevens and the difficulty any team has in repeating. The West is much easier. Detroit, Colorado, Dallas. The usual suspects.

Old
03-13-2004, 10:33 AM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
My legit contenders, in order:

Detroit
Toronto
New Jersey
Dallas
Colorado

Just missed the boat, in order:

Philadelphia
Ottawa
Vancouver
What a surprise. And now Dallas is ahead of Colorado too? In the playoffs, who's going to score for the high octane Dallas Stars? Lehtinen? Guerin?

Thanks to your constant bragging at the start of the season I ended up taking BOTH Modano and Morrow in a pool. Thanks a lot! How the hell is Modano a -18 but Arnott is a +20?

Anyway, what's going to hold Ottawa back will be the inexperienced goaltending of Prusek as they head into the playoffs. But I think he'll give the Sens way more confidence at the back end than Lalime does.

Old
03-13-2004, 10:42 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
Thanks to your constant bragging at the start of the season I ended up taking BOTH Modano and Morrow in a pool. Thanks a lot! How the hell is Modano a -18 but Arnott is a +20?
Modano defends, doesn't score. Is the shutdown center, always plays vs the opposing team's best players.

Arnott defends and scores. Has no shutdown role whatsoever.

Believe it or not, Modano has been his usual steady self in his own zone. +/- Are so inaccurate.

Old
03-13-2004, 10:43 AM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
West
Detriot
Colorado
Dallas
Vancouver
LA
Calgary
Nashville

East
Tampa
Philadelphia
Toronto
New Jersey
Ottawa
Boston
Montreal
New York (I)

I ranked all the teams currently in a playoff seed. St. Louis could easily replace LA or Nashville.

Old
03-13-2004, 10:47 AM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
I don't think we are underestimating them. There is no way Rucinsky or Sanderson take the place of #44. He wasn't having a great year to beginning with. I think there was a little stretch of games where the Canucks couldn't win in regulation and I think it was a big amount of games.
Right on. Sadly for Canucks fans, no Bertuzzi=No Cup. Todd Bertuzzi makes Vancouvers top line what it was. Naslund doesn't create his own room.

Old
03-13-2004, 10:49 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Modano defends, doesn't score. Is the shutdown center, always plays vs the opposing team's best players.

Arnott defends and scores. Has no shutdown role whatsoever.

Believe it or not, Modano has been his usual steady self in his own zone. +/- Are so inaccurate.
??? Modano has had an awful year. I would not call a -18 on a good team a "shutdown center"

East
Philly
Ottowa
Tampa Bay
sleeper: Montreal

West
Detroit
Colorado
San Jose
sleeper: Nashville

Old
03-13-2004, 10:52 AM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownFromNJ
I foresee no scenario where Toronto would get a cup this year.
I see won...they win.

I love your complete and utter bias shining through here, as it's clear the Leafs are one of a list of favourite in everyones eyes, except for yours. The only reason you count them out is because you're either unwilling to admit they've got a shot, or just plain ignorant. Take your pick, but I believe this is a homer comment on your part, moreso than an oppinion based by any facts.

You must be smarter than Scottie Bowman, as his picks for the Finals are Detroit vs Toronto. Unless you're saying that you think Detroits got it, but believe me, Toronto's got as much of a shot, if not more, than many of the teams being listed above.

Old
03-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineers
??? Modano has had an awful year. I would not call a -18 on a good team a "shutdown center"
Offensive wise he's been horrible, which later turned to unfortunate. But defensively, he's been steady, if you want to judge him on his -18, go ahead, but his defensive game hasn't altered one bit. He now plays the role of a shutdown center and there are not many players better at that than Mike Modano. I couldn't care less about his stats.

Old
03-13-2004, 11:26 AM
StarsPensFan

If Turco plays up to potential, the Stars have a great shot at winning the West.

In the East, sadly I think Philly could go all the way.

Old
03-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
16 teams have a shot, 14 teams will be out on the greens playing with their puttz. Welcome to the waterdown NHL.
How do you figure?

There are at least 9 (6 in the East alone!) teams that wouldn't surprise me at all if they won the Cup. Compared to PY's where there were maybe 3-4 teams that were heavy favorites, and I think that's a huge improvement.

There will also be some solid teams that don't make the P/O's - one of NYI/Buff and one of LA/NASH/CAL/STL. There are also several young teams that are making strides. From a talent POV, I think the league is in really good shape.

More than half of the 3/4th liners and 5/6 d-man from 20 years ago wouldn't be playing in today's NHL.

Old
03-13-2004, 12:54 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
I see won...they win.

I love your complete and utter bias shining through here, as it's clear the Leafs are one of a list of favourite in everyones eyes, except for yours. The only reason you count them out is because you're either unwilling to admit they've got a shot, or just plain ignorant. Take your pick, but I believe this is a homer comment on your part, moreso than an oppinion based by any facts.

You must be smarter than Scottie Bowman, as his picks for the Finals are Detroit vs Toronto. Unless you're saying that you think Detroits got it, but believe me, Toronto's got as much of a shot, if not more, than many of the teams being listed above.

How is what he said any more biased than what you've just said? And how is it a homer comment? All he said was that he didn't think Toronto will win it all. And then you said that the Leafs are on everyones list of favourites, except for this guy. Get real. You're just as biased here as you claim he is, and you can be sure that there are plenty of people out there who haven't put them on a list of favourites.

An opinion about the future based on facts is what you're looking for? Keep looking. Maybe he's making a prediction based on his opinion of the Leafs being too old? Scotty Bowman making a prediciton is his opinion. The only thing factual is that he said it.

Just don't say that he's blinded by his bias against the Leafs and then make a post that does exactly what you're calling him on. And for the record, as a Sens fan, I don't think the Sens will win it. Toronto has as much of a chance as 6 other teams in the East.

Old
03-13-2004, 01:07 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
How is what he said any more biased than what you've just said? And how is it a homer comment? All he said was that he didn't think Toronto will win it all. And then you said that the Leafs are on everyones list of favourites, except for this guy. Get real. You're just as biased here as you claim he is, and you can be sure that there are plenty of people out there who haven't put them on a list of favourites.

An opinion about the future based on facts is what you're looking for? Keep looking. Maybe he's making a prediction based on his opinion of the Leafs being too old? Scotty Bowman making a prediciton is his opinion. The only thing factual is that he said it.

Just don't say that he's blinded by his bias against the Leafs and then make a post that does exactly what you're calling him on. And for the record, as a Sens fan, I don't think the Sens will win it. Toronto has as much of a chance as 6 other teams in the East.
"I foresee no scenario where Toronto would get a cup this year."

What part of that is unbiased? You have to be a total nimrod to think that there is ZERO chance (basically what he guy said) of the Leafs winning the Cup this year. He didn't make any sort of reasonable qualifier (if they can stay healthy, if Belfour can regain the P/O form from Dallas, etc).

I don't like the Leafs, but that statement above is just ignorant. If the Leafs can stay healthy (not real likely), they have as good a shot as anyone in the EC. You could make the same statement for every other team as well. Any team that is beset by major injuries in the P/O's will have an extremely hard time advancing.

Old
03-13-2004, 01:46 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
"I foresee no scenario where Toronto would get a cup this year."

What part of that is unbiased? You have to be a total nimrod to think that there is ZERO chance (basically what he guy said) of the Leafs winning the Cup this year. He didn't make any sort of reasonable qualifier (if they can stay healthy, if Belfour can regain the P/O form from Dallas, etc).

I don't like the Leafs, but that statement above is just ignorant. If the Leafs can stay healthy (not real likely), they have as good a shot as anyone in the EC. You could make the same statement for every other team as well. Any team that is beset by major injuries in the P/O's will have an extremely hard time advancing.
For my own peace of mind, how about you go back and pull out the statement where I wrote that the NJ fan isn't biased? It wasn't a homer comment because the guy never said NJ will win it, or any other team for that matter.

And while you're at it, try to read the last paragraph of my post again. Then read your last paragraph. Then call me ignorant if you still think so.

Old
03-13-2004, 07:00 PM
The Craic

The sooner NJ is out the better. I know they play a winning style but who wants to watch it. No way are Tampa or Nash going anywhere. Tampa is a product of thier division. Nash will beat Det. if they meet. Toronto v Ottawa would be epic, Toronto loses in 7. Boston could do some damage if they can avoid NJ. Montreal not happening. Boston v Ottawa EC finals, SJ v Colorado WC finals. Cup Boston in 6 over SJ. Brilliant.

Closed Thread