HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[COL/CGY] Leopold to Flames for Nycholat, Ryan Wilson & MTL 2nd rounder

Old
03-04-2009, 11:09 AM
hockeyfish

vCash: 500
Meh, you can have him back. Horrible experience with the Avs. Should have gotten more for Tanguay in the first place.

hockeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Spoke

I am not sure what Avs fans are so mad about, you traded a UFA defensman, and not a great one, for a 2nd and a prospect.
I am not saying Leopold is bad, but he is not worth much more than that.
What did you expect to get for 20 games of Leopold?

Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
We got a 2nd round pick. What did you want, a 1st for a UFA to be Leopold who has been pretty bad the last month or so?
I wanted to either re-sign him or get an overpayment. This is neither so it means we're tanking, and not just this season but at least next season. I don't like this method of rebuilding. Could work, but its filled with uncertainty.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Lunatik*

what i love most about this deal was that Wilson was an undrafted UFA before this season

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Grannys

SSSSWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT!!!!!!!! Go Sutter, excellent move

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:12 AM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

I am not sure what most of you expected for Leopold. Leopold has played poor for Colorado this year (coaching is obviously a huge issue). Montreal's second rounder is better than Calgary's.

If this is what you guys call a "fleecing" then prepare for more today.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Foppa

While it certainly isn't a great trade for Colorado, I think the fact that Nycholat and some mediocre prospect were included makes this sound even worse.

Think about it. Leopold is a solid top-4 guy but he's an UFA. If the Avs had gotten a first-rounder for him, people would have said the Avs got great value. A 2nd rounder seems about market value. Didn't Brad Stuart get a 2nd and a 4th or something like that last year as a rental?

But you throw in Nycholat and some mediocre pick and that's all people can focus on.

Say it with me:

The Avs traded UFA-to-be Jordan Leopold to the Flames as a rental for a 2nd round draft pick.

It is what it is. I love the move for the Flames but I fail to see how the Avs got seriously burned. This is what happens when you suck, you trade servicable players for draft picks and hope to build for the future.

Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Coug555

Hopefully Leo keeps sucking in Calgary.

Coug555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:23 AM
HackandLube

Leo was one of Calgary's top 4 if not top 2 D back in 2003 Cup Run. He and Regher were the perfect partners that hasn't really been replaced by Calgary in terms of chemistry in D partners.

HackandLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Russell

Eklund: 11:38 - Panthers looking like buyers They are in on Antropov and Leopold
TSN/HF: 11:38 - [COL/CGY] Leopold to Flames for Nycholat, Ryan Wilson & MTL 2nd rounder

hahaha

Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:26 AM
MXD

.... Did Leopold went to CGY as part of a Tanguay deal...?
.... And did the pick CGY sent to Colorado was part of the Tanguay deal with Montreal?

Interesting chain of events here.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa View Post
While it certainly isn't a great trade for Colorado, I think the fact that Nycholat and some mediocre prospect were included makes this sound even worse.

Think about it. Leopold is a solid top-4 guy but he's an UFA. If the Avs had gotten a first-rounder for him, people would have said the Avs got great value. A 2nd rounder seems about market value. Didn't Brad Stuart get a 2nd and a 4th or something like that last year as a rental?

But you throw in Nycholat and some mediocre pick and that's all people can focus on.

Say it with me:

The Avs traded UFA-to-be Jordan Leopold to the Flames as a rental for a 2nd round draft pick.

It is what it is. I love the move for the Flames but I fail to see how the Avs got seriously burned. This is what happens when you suck, you trade servicable players for draft picks and hope to build for the future.
Yeah, it's really not that bad value-wise. With the up and down year Leopold has had, I figured he would only fetch like a 3rd + marginal prospect. So it seems about right.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Wilson was signed as a free agent.

Giordano was acquired the same way and Wilson may have similar upside. The year we invited Giordano, Richie Regehr (Robyn's little brother) and Dennis Wideman to camp as free agents we didn't manage to lock up Wideman but Giordano looked better that summer to me.

Anyways Wilson had been doing well in the AHL, early on in the year Sutter said he was probably first in line for a callup on defense. He's not a bluechipper, but he's not total crap either.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

What did people expect Colorado to get for Leopold? A 1st rounder? A top-50 prospect? Get real people.

This deal is about on par with the Stuart and Schneider deals.

Calgary gets a good player for their high hopes playoff run. Colorado gets a decent pick and a project prospect for a guy who they had no intention of re-signing.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:01 PM
hgo

I still think that Ryan Wilson can turn into a regular NHLer, but this is a solid trade for Calgary. Especially when you factor in the fact that they snagged Jokinen, too.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Hyperkookeez*

thank you sutter

good trade for both teams

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Miko

Welcome back Leopold ...But i still have a feeling he'll sign elsewhere when its all said and done.

I hope i'm wrong

Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 12:54 PM
hplovecraft

TSN confirming Calgary couldn't have traded for Jokinen if it had put them over the cap, which means they are beneath the cap right now.

hplovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Badger Bob

Perfect partner for Regehr. Wonder if Leo will be inclined to re-sign after Aucoin leaves this summer?

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:58 PM
AvsGuy

This trade is actually pretty decent value-wise for Colorado, as Leopold is basically a glass ballerina, and you can't really miss a guy who we didn't see on the ice all that much anyways. A second round pick and a prospect is really all we could expect.

Then again, throwing Nycholat in makes this look like a stupid trade, and I don't know why. He's like the Jeff Shantz from the Drury-Morris deal, I just don't really get why he was included.

AvsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Bah Habs second rounder was used here so I say we were indirectly involved.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:20 PM
numbrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyforpm View Post
Waiver bait and a pick and a prospect?

Knowing Calgary's system, the pick is the only commodity of value.
Well then obviously you don't know Calgary's system. The Flames prospects might not be as "flashy" as some, but they have more guys that will turn out to be NHL players then teams like the Oilers who ignore grit, competitiveness, and will to win when they draft players. Plus, we actually have a good developmental system in place since Sutter took over.

And please, don't refer me to this websites absolute joke of a top 20 prospects report for the Flames. The list includes Daniel Ryder and Juuso Puustinen in their top 20 prospects list. Juuso was not signed, and is now an UFA. Ryder was kicked out of the organization months ago.

As far as Ryan Wilson is concerned, he is actually a decent prospect. Signed out of the OHL where I believe that he was one of the highest scoring defenceman in the league. My understanding is that he needs to work on his skating, but possesses all the other qualities needed to be a good NHL defenceman. I can certainly see him playing in the NHL in the future. Obviously he can't be that bad of a prospect given that Colorado wanted him.

numbrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Ticonderoga

I freaking love this trade.

Sutter you are a genius.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:05 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbrman View Post
And please, don't refer me to this websites absolute joke of a top 20 prospects report for the Flames. The list includes Daniel Ryder and Juuso Puustinen in their top 20 prospects list. Juuso was not signed, and is now an UFA. Ryder was kicked out of the organization months ago.
No kidding.

For a site that calls itself "Hockey's Future", they don't know **** all about the Flames future. Or many other teams for that matter.

HellsBells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
Perfect partner for Regehr. Wonder if Leo will be inclined to re-sign after Aucoin leaves this summer?
I think he will... Sutter outright said in an interview yesterday that he never wanted to trade Leopold but the Flames desperately needed offense and Leopold was one of the guys Sutter planned on targeting as a UFA... Sutter also said the deal came out of nowhere and Giguere made first contact

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote