HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYR/TOR] Antropov to Rangers for 2nd + conditional 2010 pick

Old
03-05-2009, 03:35 AM
rye&ginger

vCash: 500
Fair deal. With how stacked the draft this year is, no one is giving up a first easily. 2nd should still result in an potential NHL'er

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:51 AM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
Stop deluding yourself a late 2nd and a late 3rd is not equivalent to a late first.

Don't get me wrong I always thought Antropov was worth a late 2nd and a mid level prospect.

But according to the bevy of TO posters over the two months...this guy was guaranteed an 1st.

Its just funny to see that TO fans flat out overvalued the guy.

Good player but overvalued on HF.
I don't think it's about overvaluing Antropov. The reality is with the salary cap in full effect and possibly going lower for the next 2 seasons, premium draft picks and prospects have a lot more value than they did 2 years ago.

I remember in 2007 about 5-6 first rounders were shipped around for UFAs. This year, only Calgery handed off two 1st rounders to pick up Olli Jokinen who is actually signed for a few more years and not a UFA.

No one was willing to part with a 1st for a rental player this year.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:14 AM
4rde

Well 2nd + 3rd/4th is pretty good for Antropov.. i mean its almost like a 1st rounder i guess.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Jack Bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
It is...a assuming the Rangers make the playoffs you're looking at a fairly late 2nd rounder vs. a first rounder.

TO fan just stop. The post on this board were overvalued and ridiculous when it came to this guy.

I don't know why your laughing.

This cat was the greatest thing since Luke Schenn according to the trade proposal boards.
How is a 2nd round pick from the New York Rangers a LATE pick? If they make it, it's as the 7th or 8th seed which puts them around the MIDDLE of the NHL yet their picks are at the end of the round? Are they being punished or something?

Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:44 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
the bottom line is--that for the past two weeks many leaf fans bought Burke's comments of a first or nothing. The leafs were never going to get a first for him. I notice a few leaf posts are now denying they said anything of the sort and have infact gone back to edit their comments about the first

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:48 AM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Yea...well we couldnt afford to give up prospects/players for a Gaborik or whatever...Nik was in the second tier that I was hoping for. Scoring and size. Something we lack big time.

I hope hes not expecting 4 million or something though next season..
You know, I still thought he would get a first pick. I didn't really believe that GMs would actually use restraint. When was the last time we saw that during the trade deadline?

Anyways, with that being said, and the economy being what it is, I have to wonder if players are pricing themselves out of the market for July 1?

If owners and GMs are worried about the cap coming down for the 2011 season you would have to think that is going to drastically lower what players can get in unrestricted free agency.

IMO, Nik is a loyal guy and if he is comfortable in NY he will probably re-sign.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:49 AM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
the bottom line is--that for the past two weeks many leaf fans bought Burke's comments of a first or nothing. The leafs were never going to get a first for him. I notice a few leaf posts are now denying they said anything of the sort and have infact gone back to edit their comments about the first
Thank you for keeping us accountable.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:50 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
I personally think it is hilarious that he only fetched a second and a third/fourth after what Toronto fans thought he would get.
"I personally think its halirous that" the Rangers paid a 2nd and 3rd for Antropov when they could have picked up Guerin for a 5th rounder.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:50 AM
RhyZa

Thehomelessguy for all his witty rejoinders is clueless. He compares Vermette's return with Antropov. Take a look at the contracts Einstein.

RhyZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:52 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Fair deal. With how stacked the draft this year is, no one is giving up a first easily. 2nd should still result in an potential NHL'er
I agree, guys like Tatar can be had with mid-2nd rounders, and he should at least be a future 2nd line guy in the NHL.

Burke walked away with 2nd, 2nd, (3rd or 4th -- conditional pick from NY) and 4th from TB, plus prospect Andy Rogers.

Not a bad day of trying to rebuild the farm.

Those 2nd round picks should turn into a decent return.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Pure

Anyone else heard Burke's comments on Kaberle? Either he was lying, which he doesn't seem like he was doing since he told the truth about Antropov's value, or Kaberle's value is also lower than he had hoped. He said no one called him about Kaberle since he set the bar so high, is Toronto just going to keep him? I think they do until next year's deadline.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
"I personally think its halirous that" the Rangers paid a 2nd and 3rd for Antropov when they could have picked up Guerin for a 5th rounder.
Don't think Snow would have done that.

Besides that Guerin is normally a no-show in the play offs. Not a fan of Antropov either but it remains to be seen what he can do for us.

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Jack Bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
I know that nobody thought Dominic Moore would get as much in return as Nik Antropov.

I can guarantee one thing - Antropov will have a bigger impact that any of the other players who were traded for a 2nd today.

Great deal for the Rags. They gave up a 2nd rounder, and now have a new top scorer on their team.
And people say Leaf fans are delusional.

Antropov will be an after thought in New York rather quickly.

Old
03-05-2009, 08:35 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
i doubt it. not going into why antropov is better, but the isles and rangers just don't do such a deal. and besides, it will be more than a 5th if his acquisition pays off...

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Jack Bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Yeah Burkie polled us at 3:55 yesterday and 65% told him to get off that 1st or nothing and take the 2nd and conditional 3rd so he did.

It's awesome to have a GM that takes fans opinions into account before doing business

I still think there's something mentally wrong with people who mock a team who wanted a 1st for taking a 2nd and potential 3rd over the 1st. Apparently there's some magical value drop from pick 30 to 31 in the NHL draft by the way some fools are acting here.

Old
03-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
Yeah Burkie polled us at 3:55 yesterday and 65% told him to get off that 1st or nothing and take the 2nd and conditional 3rd so he did.

It's awesome to have a GM that takes fans opinions into account before doing business

I still think there's something mentally wrong with people who mock a team who wanted a 1st for taking a 2nd and potential 3rd over the 1st. Apparently there's some magical value drop from pick 30 to 31 in the NHL draft by the way some fools are acting here.
But 2 comes after 1. Clearly that's a major drop. Burke is a failure as a result, right?

I figure the kvetching is more about that annoying subset of Leafs fans that were both obsessed with Burke somehow bringing in ten draft picks (a third of which would be first rounders) and pushy about that opinion on these boards for the last few months. There *is* a degree of "ha ha, showed you" that comes up.

That said, I try not to assume that such madness is true of all Leafs fans. Everybody has their nutcases. So, yeah, this arguing about "he's worth a 1st!" (which is lower than what the nutcases advocated to begin with) is just a little silly.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post

AND LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, MY PERSONAL FAVOURITE:

I stopped at halfway through the thread.
Again I don't see what's so funny. At least two of the people you quoted aren't even Leaf fans.

I don't think anyone's disputing the fact that many Leaf fans were hoping for a 1st for Nik Antropov. That's only natural. Any other fanbase would have done the same. But to say that the majority were expecting a 1st and a prospect is absolutely not true.

The quotes you provided only confirm that.

Leaf Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Pure

I'm just glad Antropov did get traded or Leaf fans would still be going on about Antropov for a 1st at the draft.

Old
03-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Antroprov is a good player but I just don't think he's a good fit for the Rangers. They get another mildly talented guy who's soft.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
I'm just glad Antropov did get traded or Leaf fans would still be going on about Antropov for a 1st at the draft.
You must be new. Antropov is going to be a UFA.

Leaf Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Twist and Shout

Rangers make out like bandits. Ahh well, such is the market. Hope Big Nik comes back in the off season, but somehow with Burke's comments, it's probably not going to happen.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army View Post
You must be new. Antropov is going to be a UFA.
Some leaf fans would have still tried to find a way to convince people that his negotiation rights are worth a 1st. (think Hartnell+Timonen, Malone, etc).

Old
03-05-2009, 11:05 AM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Antroprov is a good player but I just don't think he's a good fit for the Rangers. They get another mildly talented guy who's soft.
I don't know what is wrong with some of you people. He's not soft, he just doesn't use his 6'6 frame obliberating everybody. Geez, he's a finesse player that's a good distributor of the puck and good in front of the net.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
And people say Leaf fans are delusional.

Antropov will be an after thought in New York rather quickly.
Or maybe he will click with better players like Gomez, Naslund , Zherdev, Drury, Dubinsky............who did he play with on the Leafs

This is Antropov's chance to show what he has

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Jack Bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway Schenn View Post
Rangers make out like bandits. Ahh well, such is the market. Hope Big Nik comes back in the off season, but somehow with Burke's comments, it's probably not going to happen.
Bandits? They acquired a 25 goal scorer for 20 games. On his normal pace he scores 5 or 6 goals for them. Chances are he gets buried behind the Rangers big names and lost in the soap opera that will be the Rangers with Avery and signs elsewhere on July 1.