HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[NYR/TOR] Antropov to Rangers for 2nd + conditional 2010 pick

Old
03-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Pure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army View Post
Brian Burke also said that he was initially asking for, and hoping to get, a first round pick.

There's nothing wrong with saying "I told you so". If you're right about something you've earned the right to gloat.

But it's not okay to create the myth that the majority of Leaf fans were expecting a 1st round pick plus a prospect to try and make Leaf fans look like idiots.
Of course no one can say majority, there are probably tons that don't even post on HFboards. But I'll bet you that most of the antropov trade threads in the past year have more leaf fans saying he is worth a first round pick than saying he is worth a 2nd.

Also, you are blowing things out of proportion. People came in to get a little bit of vindication, a bit of "I told you so, I was right." But not everyone came in to make leaf fans look like idiots. "Some" leaf fans do that by themselves, they don't need any help.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 04:08 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Some Islanders fans expected 2nd round picks and some younger players for Guerin. Returns were no where near they have been in the past, so get off the Leaf bashing.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...+guerin&page=7

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Ace88*

there's no doubt in my mind that any other year he WOULD have gotten a 1st rounder. Im not saying that's what he's worth, but he definitely would've gotten that any other year. Hockey economics are brutally ****ed up right now.

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 12:43 PM
dybbuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
After 6 months of Leaf fans' filth over saturating this forum with bloated expectations and condescending opinions, I will admit, this turn of events was quite satisfying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
Did I say majority? I was simply highlighting some of the comments include some of the most obnoxious who for months told us we were stupid suggesting he wasn't getting a first rounder. If you aren't in that group, you have nothing to be offended by.
So the first post wasn't addressed toward all leaf fans? We have some crazy homers who drive up what some of our guys are, but, are you any better by rubbing it in our collective faces over what a few of our crazies said(and then carrying on quoting random people from a few different fan bases and some posts not even indicative of the bash you're trying to get across.)? You know why most of our crazies roam the main boards? Because most normal leaf fans won't tolerate them on our own board. So, yes, some of us were expecting a first rounder coming back our way(a late first, instead we got a mid second, so 15-20 spots lower then our hopes). He was on pace for 60 points this season with us, not horrible considering the rag tag group he played with. I know, being a leaf fan automatically removes my ability to form a decent opinion and must submit to A)the crazies of other fan bases or B)the snarky ones from other fan bases who lack the ability to block out trolls/homers. Truly it is a dark day to be a leaf fan. How dare we have such a huge fan base that our crazies population is bigger then some entire teams fan base. I know! Let's hold it against ALL leaf fans! Curse them for our inability to recognize crazies and ignore them! To ARMS!

dybbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 12:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace88 View Post
there's no doubt in my mind that any other year he WOULD have gotten a 1st rounder. Im not saying that's what he's worth, but he definitely would've gotten that any other year. Hockey economics are brutally ****ed up right now.
How is the economy and issue in this case? He's a UFA at the end of the season.

03-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Tyler Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
Some leaf fans would have still tried to find a way to convince people that his negotiation rights are worth a 1st. (think Hartnell+Timonen, Malone, etc).

why dont you find me a quote of a leaf fan that thinks antropov's right is worth a 1st rounder?

Tyler Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 01:46 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
So, why is his nickname Tron?

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:11 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

3 pts in 2 games. 1st star today. He's so terrible.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Roo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
In a struggling economy, teams will make less $$$ and the cap goes down. The cap going down makes it tough because many teams carry big contracts and will need young talent @ a cheap price to fill roster spots. Case in point, only one 1st rounder was traded at the deadline.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:44 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
So, why is his nickname Tron?
LOL, I made it up when he got traded, I like it

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 02:48 PM
IBLeaf*

Leafs get unlucky with a TDD that is affected by the economy. When will God do us a favour?

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:11 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykedout66 View Post
LOL, I made it up when he got traded, I like it
I'm not sure I get it.

But I'll go with it

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 03:30 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
In a struggling economy, teams will make less $$$ and the cap goes down. The cap going down makes it tough because many teams carry big contracts and will need young talent @ a cheap price to fill roster spots. Case in point, only one 1st rounder was traded at the deadline.
Still don't see the connection. The fact that only one 1st rounder was traded means that teams weren't offering first. Don't see how that's an economy thing.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 04:03 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Still don't see the connection. The fact that only one 1st rounder was traded means that teams weren't offering first. Don't see how that's an economy thing.
He couldn't have spelled it out more clearly for you. Teams need to now more then ever ensure they have cheap contracts on the books. The Rangers more then most. Moving your first hurts your ability to do that down the road.

So what do you guys think of Antropov now? Do you get an idea at least of why we leafs fans said he was worth a first?

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 04:05 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
He couldn't have spelled it out more clearly for you. Teams need to now more then ever ensure they have cheap contracts on the books. The Rangers more then most. Moving your first hurts your ability to do that down the road.

So what do you guys think of Antropov now? Do you get an idea at least of why we leafs fans said he was worth a first?
I understand what he's saying. I just don't agree with it.

Old
03-08-2009, 04:06 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

His nick name is Big Nik. We have Little Nik (Zherdev) and Big Nik

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
there is definitely a connection, teams have decided to invest in younger, cheaper talent, and these first round picks most of them won't have to bepaid for a few years

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 04:10 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
there is definitely a connection, teams have decided to invest in younger, cheaper talent, and these first round picks most of them won't have to bepaid for a few years
Neither do second round picks.

My point is I see this as more of a cap issue than a sign of the economy.

Old
03-08-2009, 04:15 PM
leaky37

My Question is, how do the Ranger fans feel about Nik Antropov so far from what they seen of him?

leaky37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 04:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaky37 View Post
My Question is, how do the Ranger fans feel about Nik Antropov so far from what they seen of him?
His hands are better than I expected.

Old
03-08-2009, 04:17 PM
The Magic Man
With God given hands

Quote:
Neither do second round picks. My point is I see this as more of a cap issue than a sign of the economy.
2nd rounders arent as likely to play next year.

The Magic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 04:27 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Easily the best deal of the deadline.

Good work, Slats.

Now watch Drury explode in scoring, just like all of Nik;'s centres do.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Caesium

vCash: 50
Us Toronto fans always overrate our players. That explains why everyone suddenly loves them when they're no longer Leafs and are one of the better players on their new team.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Section311
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaky37 View Post
Im happy with him so far...he scored today and has a couple of points already.

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Ace88*

Quote:
Exactly. Look at seasons past; plenty of UFAs similar to Antropov got 1st rounders. However the monetary climate in the NHL is shifting so that teams are far more reluctant to go out-of-house for talent since the cap is coming down. If you grow them yourself, it's subsequently cheaper to employ the services of players. General managers are now far less willing to part with their 1st-rounders because they know that in 2-3 years time they could have a bright young star for under $1 million per as opposed to a similarly talented player asking for several million more.

This is basic hockey economics, it's not hard. Im not talking the general macroeconomic level of discussion here, im talking about the microcosm of hockey economics in specific. In Antropov's case, though, i'll admit that his cap hit is low and isn't as much as a factor as this year's deadline simply being ******. General managers are being totally jewish right now with their picks--they've realized how important the draft is in the post-lockout era of the NHL. Im still opposed to the salary cap in some ways....GMs shot themselves in the foot. If they made a way to prevent teams from simply purchasing playoff berths through free agents and trades without having a cap, it would be much better imo. Now GMs are severely handicapped in building teams, which is why growing talent in-house is the new precedent.

The funniest thing about it is i guarantee you Rangers fans are going to begin to really like Antropov. The goofy Kazakh is just too lovable a guy and player to not want him on your team. He's no difference-maker, but definitely an asset. I really hope the Leafs can resign him in the summer.

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote