HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Upshall-Carcillo Discussion; UPDATE (post #862) McLaren trade is nullified

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
we don't need to ice a team with Carcillo, Asham and Cote. Cote should not be seeing the ice in the playoffs at all. I'd rather have an AHL callup playing 6minutes on the 4th line than cote. Not even brash will be playing once the playoffs starts, because there is NO fighting in the playoffs.

Hopefully the flyers can trade lupul in the offseason for some on those 2nd round pics they like to throw in. He of the small effort and large salary for 09/10
Dude Carcillo will be probably playing on the third line with Giroux and Briere(assuming if Stevens leaves them down there) The guy has some offensive skill. He is a good skater with some hands as well. He is the perfect guy to play with Giroux and Briere because he will be parked in front of the net causing chaos. Asham is a decent 3rd, 4th liner. Cote just sucks. He will not be playing in the playoffs. Brash will be playing in the playoffs because he can actually play the game. He will just be on the fourth line. Brash is also a captain of the team so what the hell are you talking about?

Old
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilliam Shakesbeer View Post
A
Difference between "contender" and "should have a cup by 2011." Because I see about 10 teams who "contend" every year, and they only award a cup to one of them.
im glad you dont expect a cup by then. i do

Old
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Carter View Post
Carcillo is Upshall with more grit and someone who will crash the net for rebounds. He's also cheaper and we needed the cap space for some breathing room.
If we needed 400k that much keep Vaananen instead of Alberts

Old
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m

Quote:
we don't need to ice a team with Carcillo, Asham and Cote. Cote should not be seeing the ice in the playoffs at all. I'd rather have an AHL callup playing 6minutes on the 4th line than cote. Not even brash will be playing once the playoffs starts, because there is NO fighting in the playoffs.
?

Just because he does fight doesn't mean he has to to breath. He is very capable, which never hurts, but ultimately he is PROBABLY AS TALENTED AS UPSHALL and A BETTER FIGHTER THAN COTE and is signed for cheap for 2 more years.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Cap management by homer has been horrible.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:42 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Many of you are misinformed on Carcillo. He's one of my favorite players and the Pens are not going to be happy to see him coming. It'll actually be interesting to see him play our "system." In any event we just got a lot tougher.
I think its awesome, the kid grew up a Flyers fan, was drafted by the Pens, probably hated it. Then traded to Phoenix, then subsequently to the Flyers. He was destined to get here and ruin the Penguins.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:43 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilliam Shakesbeer View Post
?

Just because he does fight doesn't mean he has to to breath. He is very capable, which never hurts, but ultimately he is PROBABLY AS TALENTED AS UPSHALL and A BETTER FIGHTER THAN COTE and is signed for cheap for 2 more years.
Cote is a better fighter than Cote?

Old
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

Hopefully the flyers can trade lupul in the offseason for some on those 2nd round pics they like to throw in. He of the small effort and large salary for 09/10

Yeah Lupul will be an easier move at the Draft. The beauty of Carcillo's toughness is that it plays a regular shift....should make a nice counter for Lucic if need be.

Old
MountainHawk

Quote:
Alberts probably doesn't get claimed, then you can't get him back up here without re-entry waivers, and you have less depth for the playoffs.

They waived Metro and Vaananen because they knew they'd be claimed.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:44 PM
IrishSniper87

It's not the cap space this season that matters, it's next season where it will really help.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:45 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstheroc87 View Post
just curiuos, who?
kalinski? gratton? or someone else?
Ross or Kalinski. The main goal of the 4th line in the playoffs being to spell the top 3 lines when you can, not get scored on and don't take penalties. Cote while a gutsy guy can't really play. Ross or kalinski won't be a pylon for a guy entering the zone.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Ross or Kalinski. The main goal of the 4th line in the playoffs being to spell the top 3 lines when you can, not get scored on and don't take penalties. Cote while a gutsy guy can't really play. Ross or kalinski won't be a pylon for a guy entering the zone.

That is why Ross will replace him in the playoffs.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:48 PM
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
im glad you dont expect a cup by then. i do
I have found it best to, in life and especially in Philly sports, work and pray as hard as humanly possible and expect absolutely nothing. I think we can win a cup by then. I don't even fully expect to be alive in a week.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:49 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Dan Carcillo was born and bred to wear the orange and black.

Dan Carcillo is Flyers Hockey personified.

Old
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
I'm really gonna miss Upshall a lot. He had no problems in his game and was extremely fast. I'll give Carcillo the benefit of the doubt though. I like the McLaren deal. He will have to clear waivers to be called up for the playoffs though right?

Old
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
We suck.
GO FLYERS!

Old
03-04-2009, 10:51 PM
supa scoop

After the shock has worn off... I don't mind this deal as much. Always loved Carcillo, sucks that it took Upshall and a pick but cap space is precious these days, especially to us. McLaren for a 6th I really couldn't give less of a **** about.

I would have loved to see us get Pahlsson. Once I realized J.Bouw was a pipe dream, I was really hoping they'd go after him. Although I have no idea where he'd fit... him between Giroux and Briere wouldn't be much of a shut down line, same with Asham and Cote.

Anyway, compared to last years playoff team... out with Umberger, Prospal, Upshall, Hatcher, Smith, Kappy, Dowd, Thoresen... In with Gagne, Giroux, Carcillo, Carle, Alberts, Asham, Powe... not a horrible tradeoff I guess. Not to mention Carter really breaking out and some more experience for the younger guys on D.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa scoop View Post
Anyway, compared to last years playoff team... out with Umberger, Prospal, Upshall, Hatcher, Smith, Kappy, Dowd, Thoresen... In with Gagne, Giroux, Carcillo, Carle, Alberts, Asham, Powe... not a horrible tradeoff I guess. Not to mention Carter really breaking out and some more experience for the younger guys on D.

Exactly. People need to back away from the cliff.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
The 2nd rounder is the fee for giving us cap space.

The whole league knows how screwed we've been due to injuries and poor contract management. $500K of cap relief is a big deal to the Flyers, sadly.
How many 2nd round picks does it cost? With 20 games left, you just have to eat it at that point. They like how Kalinski and Gratton played just fine, as they're much better players than Cote. There was nothing wrong with those players. Why do we need more dime a dozen rough and tumble kids? Enough. Bring in a defenseman who knows how to play. They did not have to dump salary at this price. They really didn't have to dump salary at all. And if Alberts is as great as Jim Jackson keeps saying he is, he would have been claimed for sure (just as if they would have waited 2 weeks, Alberts might have been available to claim by the Flyers.

Sorry, Flyers move backwards here. They're only 6 points clear of the playoffs, and Holmgren was more concerned with getting a guy who would be more popular than Upshall, and can win a few more fights. Waive Cote or something if that's the case. The cost of getting players they like has outweighed the price of getting players they need. They don't need Carcillo. We just traded a guy just like him in Downie.

It seems like they made a move just to make sure they did something, and it most times when you do that, it's a bad move.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
03-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Shoeny

Quote:
and alberts is a ufa too.

I think Upshall plays for the Flyers in the future....although ive waiting for Justin Williams to come back for 6 years.

This trade hurts. Chemistry should not have been overlooked. Homer messed this one up. You don't give up a fan favorite unless needed.

Upshall and Vaananen > Jones

Old
03-04-2009, 10:55 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Exactly. People need to back away from the cliff.
No joke.

This is the worst day on this board since Pitkanen was traded, and we were better off for making that move.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:56 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
It's not the cap space this season that matters, it's next season where it will really help.
Actually, we had 20 players and $400K (annualized) cap space. Now we have around $800K (annualized) cap space, so maybe we can have more than 12 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies on the roster.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:56 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Alberts probably doesn't get claimed, then you can't get him back up here without re-entry waivers, and you have less depth for the playoffs.

They waived Metro and Vaananen because they knew they'd be claimed.
your point makes no sense. Its not like with Vaananen gone we can use him in the playoffs.

even if Alberts went unclaimed he could just hang in the AHL until playoffs

Old
03-04-2009, 10:58 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
How many 2nd round picks does it cost? With 20 games left, you just have to eat it at that point. They like how Kalinski and Gratton played just fine, as they're much better players than Cote. There was nothing wrong with those players. Why do we need more dime a dozen rough and tumble kids? Enough. Bring in a defenseman who knows how to play. They did not have to dump salary at this price. They really didn't have to dump salary at all. And if Alberts is as great as Jim Jackson keeps saying he is, he would have been claimed for sure (just as if they would have waited 2 weeks, Alberts might have been available to claim by the Flyers.

Sorry, Flyers move backwards here. They're only 6 points clear of the playoffs, and Holmgren was more concerned with getting a guy who would be more popular than Upshall, and can win a few more fights. Waive Cote or something if that's the case. The cost of getting players they like has outweighed the price of getting players they need. They don't need Carcillo. We just traded a guy just like him in Downie.

It seems like they made a move just to make sure they did something, and it most times when you do that, it's a bad move.
You are just wrong. They had to clear cap space for this year now. You can't go 6 weeks with 20 players on your active roster.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Phibes View Post
Dan Carcillo was born and bred to wear the orange and black.

Dan Carcillo is Flyers Hockey personified.

I'm tired of these 'guys born to wear orange and black.' Gauthier was born to wear orange and black...he's right now wearing silver and purple. Downie was born to wear orange and black...he's wearing whatever colors the Norfolk Admirals wear, I think it's red, blue and yellow. Funny how the guys who are born to wear orange and black, end up wearing different colors. I don't need popular players, I need winning players.

These guys who personify Flyers hockey -- they don't win. Flyers hockey hasn't won in 34 years. It's long been time to get away from Flyers hockey and play winning hockey.

Closed Thread