HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Cole appreciation thread

Old
03-04-2009, 08:02 PM
dmonk
doughberle

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Erik Cole appreciation thread

Welcome home Erik!!!

The Celebration!

The wrap around!

The Hit!

The only move!

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:04 PM
edmonton_ice

Agreed!

I think Erik Cole is a class act and I hope to say that all oiler fans wish him the best. He's got some good wheels. He struggled a bit in Edmonton, no hard feelings.

edmonton_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:52 PM
impeach estaalo

Erik Cole sucks. I look forward to watching him score 8-10 points and then walking for nothing as a UFA.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:52 PM
dookers9

I think it's always tough to find your groove when you've been traded from a place you really enjoy. It's not about a lack of "professionalism", it's more about getting settled in somewhere that isn't home. I'm thinking that's what the deal was with Erik Cole in Edmonton.

Obviously, he loved Carolina. If so, he's sure to be pleased about today's trade. Could be that Oilers management knew it. Seems remarkable that he'd return to the team that traded him 8 months beforehand by chance.

Neverthless, thanks Erik for your efforts. In retrospect, it should have been Justin Williams that had come in the first trade, because Cole was never a good fit on the LW playing alongside Horcoff and Hemsky. Not a lack of effort, that's for certain. He gave plenty of sweat, but the points just never came as was the expectation.

Class act, wishing him well the rest of his career.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 647
Ok, ok... I'l post in your thread.

I'm not sure yet that this was the smartest deal JR has ever made, but setting all that aside I'm glad to have our Colesy back... I'm in high hopes he's enthused to be back, and a home town discount this summer wouldn't be all bad...

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I don't care if it's for 10 games, 20 games, or the rest of his career.... getting to see 26 out there again is going to be like Christmas. Cole was the original Ruutu. Having them on the ice, perhaps together, should be enough to shake the foundation of the RBC.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Asher

Cole was well liked by the EDM players, fans, and media, but I'm sure he prefers being home. I bet he re-signs. Good Luck!

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:04 PM
metallicat

I hope he signs in Edmonton this off season!

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:10 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I don't care if it's for 10 games, 20 games, or the rest of his career.... getting to see 26 out there again is going to be like Christmas. Cole was the original Ruutu. Having them on the ice, perhaps together, should be enough to shake the foundation of the RBC.
Agreed.

Looking forward to the game Friday night. There's going to be a good buzz in that arena. The place will go nuts when his name is announced for the starting line up

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:10 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Thank you Edmonton fans.... you've always been classy.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:12 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Agreed.

Looking forward to the game Friday night. There's going to be a good buzz in that arena. The place will go nuts when his name is announced for the starting line up
We won't put him in the starting lineup. Starting lineup will be:

Babchuk-Babchuk-Babchuk
Babchuk-Babchuk

Babchuk

Assistant Coach: Babchuk
Head Coach: Babchuk

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:13 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Babchuk View Post

Babchuk-Babchuk-Babchuk
Babchuk-Babchuk

Babchuk

So the cloning is complete. We have 23 Babchuks now. This team is going 18-0 and will make the playoffs now.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:15 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Babchuk View Post

Babchuk-Babchuk-Babchuk
Babchuk-Babchuk

Babchuk

it will be

Cullen-Cullen-Cole
Cullen Cullen Cullen
Culeln Cullen Cullen

Cullen-Cullen
Cullen

Babchuk will be sent to Florida Everblades tomorrow but he'll defect and join Grahame at Russian convention of Alcoholic Anonymous.

I am right and you are wrong.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Skm

From an Oiler fan,

I realize he didn't live up to statistical expectations, but he played hard and was a professional in every sense of the word. I liked him playing with our 'kids' and am sad to see him leave even if we got a good return. Oil Country wishes Erik nothing but the best.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Any word on whether Cole picked up a new move yet? There are some skilled players in Edmonton. Surely, one of them had to give him some pointers.

I'm glad Cole's back, but I can't help but remember a streak near the end of the season last year, when he'd get a breakaway per game and never convert on them.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:23 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
Ok, ok... I'l post in your thread.

I'm not sure yet that this was the smartest deal JR has ever made, but setting all that aside I'm glad to have our Colesy back... I'm in high hopes he's enthused to be back, and a home town discount this summer wouldn't be all bad...
THAT will be interesting to see. All indications are that Cole wants to give the UFA market a shot and see what he's worth. Truth is, he's hardly had a season to remember with which to bolster his capacity to get a big contract.

My thinking is that he'll wait 'til July 1st, likely learn that he's offered no more than he's currently making at 4 mil, and could wind up settling for less of a windfall than he'd hoped for with Carolina.

With the cap coming down and most teams having exorbitant salaries they're carrying forward, it'll be tough to offer Cole big bucks when his season's been sub-par. Unless, of course, he breaks out at a point-per-game pace for the remainder of the season and is a strong reason the Canes make the playoffs.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:37 PM
40oz

Heres a link to the `Eric Cole Appreciation Thread` from the Oilers board.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=615781

BTW, heres a recent article of Cole winning some hearts at a recent autograph session in Edmonton (written by a young Oilers fan who sometimes posts on this board)
http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjourn...7-964d8c0fdecd

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:20 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Any word on whether Cole picked up a new move yet? There are some skilled players in Edmonton. Surely, one of them had to give him some pointers.

I'm glad Cole's back, but I can't help but remember a streak near the end of the season last year, when he'd get a breakaway per game and never convert on them.
Maybe he learned a couple of Gagner's or Nilsson moves in the SO or on the breakaway. They both played on his line for most of the year.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Asher

Quote:

I'm sure Marek Malik will be happy to see Cole again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_z4-0jsyTs

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:29 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
From an oiler perspective--he tried his best--he just did not fit gel. Reports are that he is a class act in the dressing room

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:07 AM
AcidQueen
Joe, Lord of Evil

Send a message via AIM to AcidQueen Send a message via MSN to AcidQueen Send a message via Yahoo to AcidQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I'm sure Marek Malik will be happy to see Cole again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_z4-0jsyTs
*facepalm*

AcidQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:23 AM
canesnecu

Quote:

He'll fit right back in with Staal again then wont he? Never seen 2 guys get so many breakaway opps and never convert.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:47 AM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
I'm still so excited. This has been the best week ever.

03-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Oilerfan here. Smyth and Cole are among my favorite players. This is what Cole has been up to lately. The worm was clearly turning for him and he's rounding back on track.

enjoy again.

This is what I posted on Oiler board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement
Yet I've been a fan of Cole all the time and have not thought "he was invisible" He's been among my favorite Oilers all year and my comments through the season would match that.

Again a few highlights:

32 penalties drawn, doubling the total of anybody else on the team, yes TWICE as many as the wonderkind Ales Hemsky.
In a typical PP clicking at around 20% thats a contribution of 6.5more goals by the team.

134 hits and leading the team by 30 hits. Nearly twice as many as the top hitting D, Steve Staios. Think about it. Cole every night of the season putting his nose out of line making solid hits every night on a club where there is virtually no backup and that is soft. Yeah Cole marked himself for targeted retribution and also recieved many retailiation and retribution hits. Creamed on several nights but took the hits and grabbed himself off the ice everytime and with no complaint. Rarely seeing anybody even square off in his defense. Its like, "he's rugged Erik Cole, he don't need no backup.."

One of the best forecheckers in the game and again led the oil in TKA's with 41, again almost twice as many as Ales Hemsky.

Fantastic Pk(and was getting more action on unit lately) 3.14GA/60secs. Theres several losers on this club that give up that much EV

Still managed a 20something goal pace buried with our struggling junk all year. Face it, all season we've been a one line team and with the kids hurting Cole and Cogliano have been the only non first line forwards to show a scoring pulse. Cole somehow manages to be the 2nd forward goal scorer on the club.

3rd most PP goals on the club despite limited use. The top Goal scored/PPmins on the club, higher than even Souray.

10 goals this year in 27games. 13Goals in last 33 games after being early snakebit. Rounding into good goal scoring form into a solid 30 goal pace which is still a potential in him.

People really haven't seen the intangibles we give up in losing this player.

But even if people only want to look at goals scored we're trading a player that could score 20 goals in the back half of the season leading into the playoffs..

My favorite type of player
Anyway. Thanks for the brief rental of a solid player. I've got the jersey and the memories..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:14 AM
MerryJ99

Well I wish Cole all the best, and hope he helps the Canes get into the playoffs, I was sorry to see him leave, he was one of the players for the Oilers that always came out every night and gave 110%. if he was to be traded anywhere else back home to Carolina is a great place for him to be. Good Luck Erik!!!

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote