Notices

Every freakin year

Old
03-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Every freakin year

Every god damn year. They do this. Jesus Christ.

05-06: 5-2 going into the 3rd...lose 6-5
07-08: 4-0 with 9 minutes to go...lose in OT 6-5
08-09: 4-2 with 3 minutes to go...lose in OT 5-4

And Marty Turco has been awful in every single one of them (well outside of the first 2 periods in this one).

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Ogi1Kenobi

vCash: 500
It's becoming a running gag.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:18 AM
chrissmith

07/08 was even worse, 7 minutes to go.

chrissmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Caseman

Please Lobo. You're being harsh on Turco for no reason other than we lost. The last two goals he had no chance (deflected off defenseman). And before that, he had been making goal-stealing saves. You're pretty quick to pull the triggers on these doom-and-gloom threads. Relax.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:21 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
embarrassing

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Stars99Lobo37

Please tell me how Turco had no play in this loss...not to mention how did he not have a chance on the wrap around in overtime?

He was lazy enough to take slashing/tripping penalty. He was lazy enough to not cover the post correctly in overtime.

Sure he played good in the first 56 minutes. But what good does that do if he plays like utter crap in the last 4 minutes?

And that's not saying the team played well either. But still, if he's suppose to be the BACKBONE of this team...he's the one that needs to step up and make the plays and he didn't when it counted (in any of the 3 LA losses, especially the first one).

Old
03-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
Please Lobo. You're being harsh on Turco for no reason other than we lost. The last two goals he had no chance (deflected off defenseman). And before that, he had been making goal-stealing saves. You're pretty quick to pull the triggers on these doom-and-gloom threads. Relax.
Agreed. We still got a loser point out of it (I still hate those things, but whatever), and aside from the late collapse, they still showed some offensive punch and cohesion as a team, that can only be good down the stretch.

I remain optimistic.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Stars99Lobo37

Quote:
You're pretty quick to pull the triggers on these doom-and-gloom threads.
And what do you expect?

I haven't said anything about post this game yet. I'm talking about this game solely...and it's a game that they literally handed to Los Angeles. Plain and simple.

How you can sit there and not say they should've won this one, I don't know.

Old
03-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Please tell me how Turco had no play in this loss...not to mention how did he not have a chance on the wrap around in overtime?

He was lazy enough to take slashing/tripping penalty. He was lazy enough to not cover the post correctly in overtime.

Sure he played good in the first 56 minutes. But what good does that do if he plays like utter crap in the last 4 minutes?

And that's not saying the team played well either. But still, if he's suppose to be the BACKBONE of this team...he's the one that needs to step up and make the plays and he didn't when it counted (in any of the 3 LA losses, especially the first one).
He took one penalty. Big whoop. It's only a big deal unless the other team tacks on more penalties as well. And the OT goal wasn't a crammed in wrap-around. It was deflected into the air and bounced off Daley into the net.

It's hard to be the backbone when you are 5 on 3 for most of the finals minutes of the third.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
How you can sit there and not say they should've won this one, I don't know.
Kings got lucky. The Kopitar's back-hand, no-look shot summarizes the result. I'm annoyed the Stars couldn't hold down the fort, but I'm not going to say this is the end of the world.

Old
03-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Caseman - I can't tell if you're being sarcastic because you're enjoying this or you're being serious. I blame the myraid of meds I'm on.

I'm looking at this from a trip perspective. Obviously, this loss sucks. But they've gotten three points in four games on a trip I thought they might get no points out of, and probably a maximum of two. They always, as you've summarized, sucked against the Kings (karmic retribution for the first game after the lockout?), and no way in hell did I expect any points out of San Jose.

I need more Robutussin. I shall be back higher on cough meds than I already am.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Caseman

I'm serious. I don't blame Turco. Even the penalty. He wouldn't have had to bend and break the rules if someone would take care of the body in front.

I think the Stars got a bit shafted by some officiating and got the unlucky bounces. Injured Stars >>> Lowly Kings.

Old
03-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Kritter471

Quote:
I'm serious. I don't blame Turco. Even the penalty. He wouldn't have had to bend and break the rules if someone would take care of the body in front.

I think the Stars got a bit shafted by some officiating and got the unlucky bounces. Injured Stars >>> Lowly Kings.
I was surprised they left the guy so open, and you're right about Turoc being alone with a screener, but it was still stupid to take out his skates. Very Belfour-esque.

I am about ready to take a club to Daley's head. He's such a spaz, and he's been spazzing the wrong way recently. Robidas too.

I'm more interested to see how these guys respond tomorrow against the Ducks, though I will lose my chance to see someone just take off Moen's head. Maybe Turco and Giguere can have a goalie fight.

Old
03-06-2009, 12:42 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 25678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
I was surprised they left the guy so open, and you're right about Turoc being alone with a screener, but it was still stupid to take out his skates. Very Belfour-esque.
Except Belfour would have killed off the penalty come hell or high water. Therein lies the difference.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Kritter471

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Except Belfour would have killed off the penalty come hell or high water. Therein lies the difference.
Except against the Red Wings, right?

Belfour took plenty of dumb calls and cost his team by giving up goals on the ensuing PK. He was a wonderful goalie much of the time, but when he got testy, he cost the Stars plenty of games.

Hell, for a long time, that's why he was known as the goalie who couldn't win the big one, because he was so apt to self-destruct and do so in spectacular fashion.

Old
03-06-2009, 01:53 AM
catters078

Turco had no hope on the tying goal...i think everyone accepts that..

but the OT goal is definately on him...on a wrap around the goalie should be there to make sure that no matter how hard th epuck is jammed in there..it aint going past his leg...Goalies have to wear the wrap for those ones

ill reel a list of goalies who would of stopped it...

nabakov
osgood (detroit probably wouldnt have been in that position)
kipprusoff
khabibulin
luongo
rinne
mason
roloson
backstrom

get where im going with that??

Lets face it though, it was all LA in overtime...Turco probably would have had to stone at least 5 golden oppurtunites to just get to a shoot out...we would have lost anyway..

But if it is true that Ribeiro wasnt on the ice for any part of overtime,...then that is disgusting and Mr Hicks should call Tippett immediatley and fire his ass...

Leading 4-2 with 5 minutes left..to committ 5 penalties and surrender the lead and lose in overtime...I thought it was the kings who were tanking??

Sorry for the rant, but im ropable at the moment..all of us fans wear our heart on our sleeves for this team, and its hard to keep having it shattered by this jekyl and hide line up...

but we will all front up tomorrow saying go stars...

surely a bounce will go our way sooner or later?? .......surely??

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 02:43 AM
Kritter471

Catters - the goal Caseman is referencing is the OT goal. I was too busy cursing to pay much attention to the replay, but that's the goal that apparently deflected off of Daley in mid-air and wasn't a true wrap goal.

As for OT and the forwards out on it, the goal was scored about 1:30 into it, about, and I'm not sure the original forward duo ever got off the ice. That duo was Modano and Eriksson, and I don't have a problem with those two starting OT, especially given that they'd both played well in the game. In a building where you don't get last change, I understand the idea of putting your second option of forwards, and a decent pair defensively, out against the Kings "first wave" and wanting to match up Ribeiro and probably Ott against the second-tier forwards and D.

The Stars just didn't get that change because of massive fail that started with a forward being weak on the puck and missing a good clear chance, was made worse poor defensive containment and ended with an odd/lucky/poorly goaltended bounce.

Old
03-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Turco's undisciplined penalty with 4 minutes to go is absolutely uncalled for. The Ref was ****ing starring right at him.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Starsdude

We should seriously entertain offers for Turco. He has one year , is getting older and while he can be great as apuck mover, he is no longer a great goalie as his positioning is questionable. I understand we may need astop gap but there are always plenty available. Given his salary, I would take a decent prospect and/or a pick. Also the Tippet act is running old.

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
We should seriously entertain offers for Turco. He has one year , is getting older and while he can be great as apuck mover, he is no longer a great goalie as his positioning is questionable. I understand we may need astop gap but there are always plenty available. Given his salary, I would take a decent prospect and/or a pick. Also the Tippet act is running old.
Then our goalie tandem can be Stephan and Krahn?

The only way Turco is moved is for a young goalie that has proved he is NHL ready.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:52 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

while Turco surely isn't worth his cap hit he is for sure better than a lot goaltenders out in the league. There is not anybody better to replace him now.

Old
03-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Not if you make a deal when free agency starts. Dallas could pickup a guy like Hiller, Tellqvist, Khabibulin, Roloson, Anderson, or Clemmensen. Then deal Turco for whatever. Some of these guys will want longer term deals but others may not. I really like Clemmensen, Craig Anderson, and Jonas Hiller. Any of those three plus whoever is better of Krahn and Stephan wouldn't kill me.

Regardless of next year though there's no way I'd offer Turco another contract. Dallas needs to find whoever their guy(s) of the future are soon.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Stars99Lobo37

I'd only pick Hiller out of those guys that I'd want.

But, Anaheim won't let him get away with Giggy as old as he is (well at least it seems like he is, I really have no idea how old he is).

Turco isn't going anywhere though. Don't get your hopes up.

Old
03-06-2009, 12:05 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Not if you make a deal when free agency starts. Dallas could pickup a guy like Hiller, Tellqvist, Khabibulin, Roloson, Anderson, or Clemmensen. Then deal Turco for whatever. Some of these guys will want longer term deals but others may not. I really like Clemmensen, Craig Anderson, and Jonas Hiller. Any of those three plus whoever is better of Krahn and Stephan wouldn't kill me.

Regardless of next year though there's no way I'd offer Turco another contract. Dallas needs to find whoever their guy(s) of the future are soon.
no way Clemmensen is not better than Turco, he is also 31. Not that young. While I could see maybe why you like Hiller and Anderson, I completely fail to see how you think Clemmensen is a good choice.

As for the other players you listed, Roloson is way to streaky. On his off nights he worse that Turco could ever dream to be. Khabibulin is older than Turco and shell of his former self. Tellqvist is just a good backup goaltender. He is not starter material.

Old
03-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Stars99Lobo37

The problem with most of those guys, just like for Turco, is that they're going to have to come in here and play 75-78 games a year until we get a good enough back up.

None of those guys can do that.

Old
03-06-2009, 12:10 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

maybe if we bring in Tellqvist as a backup goaltender in the offseason and keep Turco, I would be happy with that