HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Carcillo to Flyers for Upshall and 2011 2nd Rd. Pick

Old
03-04-2009, 08:15 PM
dafranchz

vCash: 500
Carcillo to Flyers for Upshall and 2011 2nd Rd. Pick

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=269739&l...=headlines_nhl

dafranchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

I think you mean Upshall, not Hartnell. I'm already happy with Upshall and a 2nd. If it was Hartnell, i'd be kissing DM's behind right now.

Art.Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:31 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

why 2011 I thought it was a 2010 pick?

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:42 PM
icedscorpion021

Even with Hartnell making $4.2M a season for the next four seasons after this one?

Scott Hartnell has never scored 50 points in the NHL, at least until he gets there this season. I'll admit that I don't like the guy, and think he's got one of the worst contracts in the NHL. If we'd picked him up, it would have been a straight salary dump.

As for Upshall, his highest scoring season is 30 points. At least he only makes 1.225M, but he's a RFA at the end of the year. The real value in this trade is the second round pick. And its a pretty good deal value-wise, even if Carcillo is popular amongst the fans.

icedscorpion021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Bandit34

Dang. Fan favorite. It's tough to see him go and I'll miss him. But this was one of those offers you couldn't say no too. Plus, we got Prust to fill that energy role that Carcillo contributes. So not bad.

Bandit34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Jakeman

Upshaw for Carcillo and a 2rd pk was a steal. Carcillo was way overrated and took too many stupid penalties. Upshaw has skill and good hands and plays with an edge, flyer fans aren't too happy with this deal. Maloney

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Upshall has 21 points this season in 55 games. But he is doing that with limited minutes. He only averages around 13 minutes of ice time per game. Compare that to the following:

Carcillo - 54 games - 11:59 ATOI - 10 Points
Lisin - 43 games - 15:03 ATOI - 17 Points
Boedker - 62 games - 15:55 ATOI - 24 Points
Turris - 50 games - 12:31 ATOI - 16 Points
Hanzal - 60 games - 16:51 ATOI - 26 Points

Now I'm not saying he has the ceiling of Boedker or Turris, but the Coyotes simply have hard time scoring goals. They need guys on all 4 lines that score goals.

Carcillo is a huge fan favorite and I hate to see him go. I don't know whether his 13 goals last year were a fluke or not, but he was struggling this year. I think Upshall is a better fit for this team right now. Throw in a 2nd rounder and I'm esctatic.

Old
03-04-2009, 09:39 PM
indczn

Whose going to beat the crap out of Wheeler tomorrow?

Not a fan. A 2011 pick is irrelevant.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:45 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
Seems it was one fan favorite traded for another fan favorite.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 09:57 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedscorpion021 View Post
Even with Hartnell making $4.2M a season for the next four seasons after this one?

Scott Hartnell has never scored 50 points in the NHL, at least until he gets there this season. I'll admit that I don't like the guy, and think he's got one of the worst contracts in the NHL. If we'd picked him up, it would have been a straight salary dump.

As for Upshall, his highest scoring season is 30 points. At least he only makes 1.225M, but he's a RFA at the end of the year. The real value in this trade is the second round pick. And its a pretty good deal value-wise, even if Carcillo is popular amongst the fans.
Hartnell is going to score 30 goals and 60 points this season from the 2nd line, while being physical and having a meanstreak, and in general being a major pain in the ass. Go on other team's boards after playing the Flyers and there's usually an "I wish our team had a Scott Hartnell" sitting right alongside of "I hate Scott Hartnell" posts.

He's worth every penny of his contract. He isn't even remotely available. He's one of our most valuable players.

I hate giving up Upshall, nevermind the 2nd. I don't know much about Carcillo but have heard some good things.

I'm of the opinion that Upshall should be able to notch 20 goals in a season more than a couple times. I think with a playmaker in a career year he could hit 30. You got yourselves a great player.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:06 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
Whose going to beat the crap out of Wheeler tomorrow?

Not a fan. A 2011 pick is irrelevant.
I'm just glad Carcillo is someone else's problem.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:14 PM
dafranchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art.Vandelay View Post
I think you mean Upshall, not Hartnell. I'm already happy with Upshall and a 2nd. If it was Hartnell, i'd be kissing DM's behind right now.
That's a good one. Sometimes we see what we want and totally ditch reality.

Actually, I haven't the clue. Probably was so frustrated just trying to get on the boards and my mind went KAput!

Old
03-04-2009, 10:17 PM
dafranchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
That's what they agreed on. I was hoping it was this year or '10...both deep drafts.

Old
03-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Tbone54

Only good trade for Maloney today. This is one Maloney just couldn't say no to.

Tbone54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:33 PM
icedscorpion021

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Hartnell is going to score 30 goals and 60 points this season from the 2nd line, while being physical and having a meanstreak, and in general being a major pain in the ass. Go on other team's boards after playing the Flyers and there's usually an "I wish our team had a Scott Hartnell" sitting right alongside of "I hate Scott Hartnell" posts.

He's worth every penny of his contract. He isn't even remotely available. He's one of our most valuable players.

I hate giving up Upshall, nevermind the 2nd. I don't know much about Carcillo but have heard some good things.
Look... Hartnell might be earning that contract now, but he signed it nearly two full seasons ago. June 2007. I looked it up. At the time, he'd played SIX full NHL seasons and broken 40 points twice. The Flyers paid him on what they thought he could be, and I thought that it was a horrible contract then. So now he gets to line up next to Richards or Carter or Briere and finally starts whacking in some rebounds and playing like a pain in the ass makes it a good contract? He makes half a million more than Kunitz, and at least Kunitz had scored 60 points before he signed the extension.

My response was originally to how the thread was mislabeled as Hartnell instead of Upshall. And given how the franchise just sold off Morris cause they couldn't afford to offer him a contract for more than one year at LESS than Hartnell makes, I'd sure wonder why they'd acquire a worse/more expensive contract for a longer term. Cause if Hartnell played with the roster we're likely to be icing in the next season or two, Hartnell doesn't sniff 60 points. Which makes me really ****ing glad that the Coyotes aren't paying him.

P.S. Doan makes 4.55M, and he can score 70 in the current lineup, with the physical and PIM intangibles as well.

Last edited by icedscorpion021: 03-04-2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: added the Doan point
icedscorpion021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
The Flyers don't have a second in 09 and 10 so they had to give up a 2011 pick.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:53 PM
amjay13

I love Carcillo but you just couldn't turn down this offer.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:04 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
The Flyers don't have a second in 09 and 10 so they had to give up a 2011 pick.
maybe it's the old CBA, I thought their was a rule you can only trade up to the next years draft. Heck lets trade our 1st rd picks in 2012, 2013 & 2018 for Malkin. Seem fair

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:22 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Carcillo for Upshall is fairly even. The pick means nothing to me. We are left without a fighter. Fedoruk and Prust both have glass faces/jaws/heads, and neither are capable enforcers. Which, I'm not that upset with, as I don't think a team really needs an enforcer. Problem is, if we dont' have an enforcer, then what the hell are Fedoruk and Prust doing on the roster? Carcillo was less a waste of space than either. Then again, so is Upshall.

Anyway, Carcillo was a fan favorite. Upshall will be a fan favorite, too. Trust me.

This is pretty even.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:51 PM
yotesrock

I'll miss ya Danny Boy, I loved the guy,at least he left behind his adorable toothless grin memory, in the shootout win

yotesrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:11 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Our best trade today IMO

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:29 AM
DUHockey9

As has been stated...

You guys will love Upshall. He brings it hard every night and has some skill. He might put up a 20 goal season a couple times in his career, but he brings the effort, a bit of grit, and being a pest to every game. He never seems to not be skating his hardest.

As for the Hartnell comments...we love him, he's one of the most unattainable guys on the team, because he does everything we want him to do, and we think he earns every penny he's paid.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:30 AM
flyersguy33*

I think you guys got the better of this one. Upshall was LOVED in Philly. Our local sports station caught up with him at the airport and he was almost in tears during the interview. He will be missed by all fans. This guy is going to go 110% for you guys every night. He will quickly become a fan favorite. I wish we traded Lupul instead of him. He was a great role player. I am hoping Carcillo doesn't do anything stupid. We already have Hartnell who does enough stupid **** during a game, I hope we aren't making it two.

I'm going to miss Scottie.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:34 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
I'm just glad Carcillo is someone else's problem.
How you don't want a guy who tries harder than anyone on the ice is beyond me. I swear some people on here will immediately dislike a guy if he fights. Carcillo is a top 12 forward on any team in the NHL, and when you accompany that with the fact that he's very difficult to play against, and will ALWAYS stand up for his teammates, yeah, it's great that he's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Anyway, Carcillo was a fan favorite. Upshall will be a fan favorite, too. Trust me.

This is pretty even.
It is pretty even, but the problem is if Upshall wants a hefty raise the Yotes won't (nor should) give it to him, so then you gave up Carcillo for a 2nd. Obviously that isn't a guarantee, but word is Upshall is expecting a substantial pay increase, and if that's over $2M he just hasn't demonstrated that he's worth it.

Also, while the fans will like Upshall, he'll never be a favorite like Carcillo was. The guy will take the body and occasionally deliver a big hit, but he essentially doesn't fight.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:45 AM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Carcillo for Upshall is fairly even. The pick means nothing to me. We are left without a fighter. Fedoruk and Prust both have glass faces/jaws/heads, and neither are capable enforcers. Which, I'm not that upset with, as I don't think a team really needs an enforcer. Problem is, if we dont' have an enforcer, then what the hell are Fedoruk and Prust doing on the roster? Carcillo was less a waste of space than either. Then again, so is Upshall.

This is pretty even.
I seem to remember rt wanting to trade for Upshall a few years back when he played for Nashville. Do I remember correctly or it the drugs taking effect?