HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Carcillo to Flyers for Upshall and 2011 2nd Rd. Pick

Old
03-05-2009, 12:58 AM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
No one dislikes Carcillo because he fights. If anything, that was all we liked about him. We dislike him because he takes an obscene amount of minor penalties, and despite being "a top 12 forward on any team in the NHL," he has all of three goals this year.

PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Coyote_Fan

good trade. Upshall is gonna become Doan-lite I think.

Coyote_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:18 AM
ParisSaintGermain

Good trade, the point of a guy like Carcillo is that he:

- should protect your more skilled players
- should be able to create a spark when the team is flat during a game
- should entice, from time to time, an opponent to get a penalty by winding him up
- should chip in with a few points here and there

He has been ok in this role but the biggest problem is that he has not being able to create any sparks this season and if anything was the guy at the receiving end of stupid penalties. The points contribution did not rise as hoped either so I guess they did not hesitate too much when this trade was offered considering the Upshall is more hockey talented and disciplined player.

About the second rounder: Carcillo for Upshall straight up? I would have not been too unhappy with that. A 2nd rounder in 2055? Hey why not, I would take that too!

I think Carcillo with the Flyers can be a dangerous cocktail. He will be pumped up in this building and really will need to stay composed or it could end in tears pretty quickly.

ParisSaintGermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:43 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
No one dislikes Carcillo because he fights. If anything, that was all we liked about him. We dislike him because he takes an obscene amount of minor penalties, and despite being "a top 12 forward on any team in the NHL," he has all of three goals this year.
He hasn't been as productive this year as many hoped, no question about that, but if you're saying he isn't a top 12 caliber forward then just come out and say that, because I would disagree. By responding to my comment without actually refuting it seems like a way to take a little jab without actually coming out and saying you disagree (because if I had to bet I'd say you don't). If he's a top 9 guy on a team that is worlds better than this team, then odds are he's a top 12 guy.

Also, this idea of him getting an "obscene" amount of minor penalties quite simply isn't true. I could be off by a minor or two, but after taking a quick glance, of his 174 total PIMs, only 14 of those penalties were minors which weren't offsetting (or came before a game was decided), and a couple of those were boardings and goalie interference calls which likely were partial reputation calls. 14 (non-offsetting) minors in nearly 3/4 of a season is far from a ridiculous amount of penalties. People just see the PIM totals and don't take the time to see that very few of them hurt the team.

Oh, and BTW, Upshall has 22 such minors this year, compared to Carcillo's 14. You people need to learn to dig a little deeper before forming such strong (and inaccurate) opinions.

Last edited by BGDDYKWL: 03-05-2009 at 04:53 AM.
BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:00 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

bottom line I think Upshall is the better player.

I'm just glad Carcillo was traded to the Eastern Conference.

Carcillo did cost us the opportunity to get points in at least a couple games..specifically the game against the Avalanche (I think) when he argued for Jokinen about a call & received an extra penalty with 2 minutes left in the game.

Those are the after whistle calls which really hurt, and are definitely selfish.

I will be rooting for him though.

As for Upshall being a rental, he is arbitration-eligible RFA so I believe the only way the Coyotes could lose him is if they go to arbitration and the Coyotes decide not to accept the decision....or someone throws an offer sheet at him, which would probably result in some pretty good picks coming back.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:15 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art.Vandelay View Post
I seem to remember rt wanting to trade for Upshall a few years back when he played for Nashville. Do I remember correctly or it the drugs taking effect?
I don't recall. I have a new trade proposal every other day. I do like Upshall, though, and have probably made a handful of proposals with him involved.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:18 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I don't think we liked Carcillo because he fought. I think we liked him because he murderlized people, despite being a shrimp. Little big man. So, so, so strong with such great punching power and pure hockey fighting ability, all in a little, tiny wild-man package. The long hair, unkempt facial hair, missing front teeth, all of it. He just looked like he was supposed to. Acted accordingly, too. I know hockey people didn't like his celebrations and overall antics, but fans sure loved it.

Old
03-05-2009, 07:20 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhaful View Post
As for Upshall being a rental, he is arbitration-eligible RFA so I believe the only way the Coyotes could lose him is if they go to arbitration and the Coyotes decide not to accept the decision....or someone throws an offer sheet at him, which would probably result in some pretty good picks coming back.
Arbitrators aren't going to award him squat. Look at his stats. They reallydon't award based on potential. Not when nothing has been proven.

Offer sheets would be welcome, I would think. We'd get, what, at least another 2nd, right?

Old
03-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Vitto79

I like all of the Yotes deals from a outside perspective. How did they get a 2nd to get him too?. the cost?.......Carcillo is good but not like Upshall right?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:04 AM
chromemaro

vCash: 50
u will love upshall. he wont score alot of goals, but he seems to have chemistry with everyone, hes a great team player, and hes one of the few that gives 100% every shift

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:16 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Upshall wont want a huge raise. I doubt he'll ask for more than Burrows or Hunter

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:16 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I don't think we liked Carcillo because he fought. I think we liked him because he murderlized people, despite being a shrimp. Little big man. So, so, so strong with such great punching power and pure hockey fighting ability, all in a little, tiny wild-man package. The long hair, unkempt facial hair, missing front teeth, all of it. He just looked like he was supposed to. Acted accordingly, too. I know hockey people didn't like his celebrations and overall antics, but fans sure loved it.
Slow ride, take it easy...

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:18 AM
CitizenCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
I'm just glad Carcillo is someone else's problem.
Agree entirely. I think we got an absolute steal for him.

I was getting ready to say I'd be happy to let him go for a back of pucks and a 2015 pick.

He may have been a fan favorite, but not one of mine. I thought his energy was great. His fighting ability is not questionable, and I do think his toughness protected his teammates. But the meathead quotient was just too much for me. And he was at the point where he just got zero leeway from the refs, because they understood his self-control issues. I actually think it was starting to affect the entire team and its reputation with certain reffing crews.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:20 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Our best trade today IMO
I would have to say that if your looking for a kid who could really turn it up with increased ice time and become a leader and lead by example then your looking at Upshall. This kid was a top 5-10 pick in his draft year and you don't just get that by paying off the GM's to pick you. Great move!

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:35 AM
zyllyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
He hasn't been as productive this year as many hoped, no question about that, but if you're saying he isn't a top 12 caliber forward then just come out and say that, because I would disagree.
He's not a top 12 caliber forward. There, I said it.

His two-cent head when he gets upset will forever prevent him from becoming anything more than a low-end energy player.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:36 AM
zyllyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyotesVisitor View Post
I actually think it was starting to affect the entire team and its reputation with certain reffing crews.
Spot on. And we already have enough to deal with with Gretzky acting like a two-year-old on every minor penalty...

Old
03-05-2009, 09:48 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromemaro View Post
u will love upshall. he wont score alot of goals
I love him already.

Seriously though, scoring more than Carcillo shouldn't be too hard.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Arbitrators aren't going to award him squat. Look at his stats. They reallydon't award based on potential. Not when nothing has been proven.

Offer sheets would be welcome, I would think. We'd get, what, at least another 2nd, right?
This is good thing then right? At least another season of Upshall for squat or what amounts to a 2nd round pick offer sheet.

If the offer sheet is only worth a 2nd, the Yotes will happily match it.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Kaizen

Follow the asset path. We net Upshall, Bourret and a 2nd for absolutely nothing.

Big George was signed as a free agent (so he did cost us a few sheckles) and we now have a high first round pick (Upshall was 6th overall) and a second rounder to boot, plus Alex Bourret (wasn't that the return for Pitt's 3rd rounder?).

That is what you call manufacturing assets.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:29 AM
TPS

This is the only trade that I have come to accept. I have always liked the way Upshall plays the game. He has speed, grit, and good hockey skills. He will be given a larger role than he had with Philly, and hopefully he will fit in nicely. I like Carcillo, but I think we got the better player in this deal, not to mention the additional 2nd round pick. Oh and this is another reason why I like this deal:

http://s481.photobucket.com/albums/r...ad639785-1.jpg

TPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
You guys are gonna love Upshall. He may not score all that much but he never has an off shift. Plays 110% every game. He is a heart and soul player and never takes an off shift. Hoping he comes back to Philly one day. One of my top 5 favorite players in history. His OT game winning goal against Boston in 2007 was an amazing moment. Gonna have to catch come Phoenix games on Center Ice now. Gotta root for Ups.

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:42 PM
bodangleroo28

Who was Carcillo playing with for the majority of the year?

bodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:48 PM
zyllyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer6 View Post
Everyone. His latest centerman was Olli Jokinen.

Old
03-05-2009, 03:49 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
He last played with Jokinen and Mueller, but considering the way Gretzky makes his lines it's irrelevant. He hasn't played with anyome for the majority of the year because we pretty much have a new set of lines as soon as something goes wrong in a game.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:51 PM
CitizenCoyote

Quote:
Ha! Silly flyers fan. I see that you are thinking like a traditional hockey fan, who roots for a team that plays traditional hockey and has discernable "lines."

We have The Great One as our coach. We don't believe in lines.

Carcillo has played with pretty much everyone, from the first to fourth line, depending on what Gretz had for breakfast that morning and whatever hunch he is playing that moment.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote