HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was Hiring Gainey a Mistake?

Old
03-04-2009, 10:28 PM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post

Yes, maybe we could have gotten Kolzig and Heward who won't be playing another game this season!
That deal isn't done. You wait and see, Burke is going to get someone or a pick from Tampa for virtually nothing this summer.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:29 PM
3TB3*

[QUOTE=sakukoivu2003;18350004]Hiring Gainey was NOT a mistake because he was able to put this team to another level.

Now, I think we need someone else who will be able to take some risks to bring this team to another level. I don't say that I want a GM who will trade anybody ala Milbury but just someone who will be able to get quality over quantity.

The problem with Gainey is that he won't pull a major trade. He's the kind of GM who prefer to do low-risk/low-reward moves.

I don't have any problem with this mentality when you want to rebuild. But it's been 5 years that we didn't get an elite forward. Sure, Kovy and Tanguay are very good players, but there are no elite forward. We had a chance to get an elite talent today, and it was Jokinen.

I can do the same thing with Pittsburgh. Look at Michel Therrien how he was able to develop and give responsabilities to his young players like Staal, Malkin, Crosby, Whitney, Fleury, Letang...Sure, there are good first, but he was able to develop them to another level which is almost a number 1 team in the conference. Now, they need someone else to continue and get them to another level. That's the same problem with Gainey.

He needs to take chances..which he doesn't.[/QUOTE]

but he used to in dallas. now he wont antee up gillettes money for those outside high priced players like he did with stars.

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
Considering that the Habs seem no closer to being a Cup contender (almost) 6 years after Gainey took over the team - was the Gainey hiring a mistake?

Thoughts?
How about trading away a veteran goalie, and hanging your future star out to dry? How about being so clueless about what this team needs?

I hope BG gets run out of town.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Kirk Muller

I don't think it was a mistake necessarily however i do feel the "bringing the organization back to respectability" is greatly overblown.

The on ice product and result, aside from last year isn't much improved. The prospect depth has greatly improved but there isn't anyone in the system that is going to put the team to the next level.

I think the mistake was not doing a full rebuild.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:37 PM
RE-HABS

When you lose your top player and centre and his replacement is a waiver pick up and forth line cast-off from another team to me that doesn't say smart management to me!

Step down.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:39 PM
3TB3*

last year mario lemieux for a pretty good team tries to bolster their chances for the cup by getting hossa. he wants to help his players win the cup.

gainey on the other hand "i am showing my players confidence in them and dont need to get an impact player to help them".

or is he just saving money for gillette?

gainey has become lttle more than a well paid slave/mouthpiece for gillette

3TB3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
What did you guys expect Bob to do?

Our team generally played very well last year and on paper it looked like we'd be better this year. No trade(s) he made today would suddenly force the remaining players on the roster to care so I'm glad he didn't make any major moves.

This summer though I think he really has to reevaluate who has a future with this team. Too many players simply don't have the will to win.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Bohemian93

no, why would you even ask this

Bohemian93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:48 PM
WeezyHabFan

How arent we closer? Montreal 6 years ago had 77pts and didnt make the play offs so please drama queen shut up were in 5th right now at 75pts with lots of games left, and last year we were first place in the east... so Gaineys doing alright by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
How about trading away a veteran goalie, and hanging your future star out to dry? How about being so clueless about what this team needs?

I hope BG gets run out of town.
I hope you get run out of these boards, what our team needed before the playoffs was a defencemen who could help on the PP without giving up much or any from our team so we could still be contendors. He did that quite well with Schneider I'd say.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-04-2009 at 10:59 PM.
WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Belso

I knew a thread like this would open up if the Habs didn't get someone today...

I' was hoping for a bigger forward, but let's face it, you are not a GM and you don't know what Bob was being asked for a big forward. And the Habs are better then when Bob took over and the farm is way better too..

He's a GM, not a miracle worker with a crystal ball...

So no, It wasn't a bad thing to hire him...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Coming to HF during slumps is a mistake :\
This

No Gainey was not a mistake.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:58 PM
blarneylad

vCash: 605
Montreal hasn't improved much since Gainey took over. The only thing that has improved is our depth. That could be due mostly to Timmins.

Although, having said that, here is another question: Would Montreal really be this bad under another coach?

See Boudreau in Washington. Todd McLellan behind the bench in San Jose.

blarneylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TB3 View Post
last year mario lemieux for a pretty good team tries to bolster their chances for the cup by getting hossa. he wants to help his players win the cup.

gainey on the other hand "i am showing my players confidence in them and dont need to get an impact player to help them".

We're almost at the cap limit 3TB3, so I highly doubt Gainey is trying to save Gillette money.

The part that I've bolded, I would love to read why you feel this way.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:

Yes Pittsburgh got hossa, didn't win a cup and are now without there first round pick, a good prospect Esposito, and Christenson, Armstrong...not only did they lose there depth the also were unable to resign Hossa, in all they lost 5 assets for jack ****, a couple extra million in the playoffs and some playoff experience for the kids. Big ****in deal

Old
03-04-2009, 11:00 PM
CPrice

Quote:
During slumps? We lost one game after winning four straight and this is popping up.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:02 PM
blarneylad

vCash: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
During slumps? We lost one game after winning four straight and this is popping up.
It's how Montreal has played since February.

Don't worry guys I changed my callendar and Brisebois is not on this month. Mr. February (Breezer) was bad luck

blarneylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
I don't think people are over the 15 games we played before we won 4

Old
03-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Hermamoud

Quote:
We see how well that turned out eh? One sniff at the finals and complete domination by Detroit, and this year, they might not even make it to the playoffs.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Papa_Bear_21

I can't say that Gainey has done as well as I was hoping but let's be honest, he has A LOT OF limitations with the Montreal Canadiens that most other GM's don't have to deal with.

For example, people complain that Gainey has not signed any big time players. Well let me ask you... when, since the start of free agency in the NHL, have the Habs signed a 1st rate player that had not already played on the team? We're spanning, what, over 25 years and 4 GM's?
I'm pretty sure it's none. Don't you think the team would have been slightly better if we had been able to bring in an Arnott, Elias, Shannahan, Gomez, Smyth, Briere (okay maybe not him), Rafalski, Sundin without having to give up anyone? Not only would they make the team better because of their own performances but also because of the effect they would have on the young players. Let's face it, Kovalev is a good player when he wants, but I'm not sure he's the type of player you want your young players looking up to.

As for the coaching, any Habs head coach not named Scotty Bowman would basically have to be a francophone, which really limits the choices. Now, I'm not in favor of dumping Carbo just yet, but I think the staff needs to do a better job. There just does not seem to be much structure in the breakouts, in the transition game or in the offensive zone (as far as creating offense goes based on set plays). Nothing seems easy and it seems like players are rarely free or open. To me, that's a coaching issue.
Although they are now pressuring the puck more at times, it just seems like the philosophy being implemented allows them to go on the defensive when they should really be attacking all the time.

One final point about coaching: based on the Buffalo game tonight, teams are already overplaying Schneider at the point and not only did it turn into an 0-5 tonight, it lead directly to a SHG against. They seem to definitely need a tactician, maybe someone with previous NHL head coaching experience.

Papa_Bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Belso

[QUOTE=3TB3;18350157]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
Hiring Gainey was NOT a mistake because he was able to put this team to another level.

Now, I think we need someone else who will be able to take some risks to bring this team to another level. I don't say that I want a GM who will trade anybody ala Milbury but just someone who will be able to get quality over quantity.

The problem with Gainey is that he won't pull a major trade. He's the kind of GM who prefer to do low-risk/low-reward moves.

I don't have any problem with this mentality when you want to rebuild. But it's been 5 years that we didn't get an elite forward. Sure, Kovy and Tanguay are very good players, but there are no elite forward. We had a chance to get an elite talent today, and it was Jokinen.

I can do the same thing with Pittsburgh. Look at Michel Therrien how he was able to develop and give responsabilities to his young players like Staal, Malkin, Crosby, Whitney, Fleury, Letang...Sure, there are good first, but he was able to develop them to another level which is almost a number 1 team in the conference. Now, they need someone else to continue and get them to another level. That's the same problem with Gainey.

He needs to take chances..which he doesn't.[/QUOTE]

but he used to in dallas. now he wont antee up gillettes money for those outside high priced players like he did with stars.
I liked Jokinen, but there are better players the Habs can get than him using the money spent on him.. I heard he's hard to motivate and never work as hard as he should.. Kind of like Malakov. I'd rather Have a Kovalchuk, Hossa, Marleau, Hejduk, Richards, Lecavalier, etc. There are always opportunities to trade or get free agents in the summer.. No need to get Jokinen just because he's available knowing you will loose a roster player just to make a trade on the rush.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Guy Caballero

Pathetic thread

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

This thread is a mistake.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Hermamoud

Bring back Houle and sell the team back to Molson!!!

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Stubbs88

Quote:
ahaha yess...but the gainey hiring WAS NOT!

Quote:

the pens gave up WAYYYYYY too much for a rental player, im extremely happy gainey didnt give away a ton of young talent for one shot at a cup!

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-05-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Stubbs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Prudentius

I'll say it again. Shame on Gainey for not going after Richards last year. He craps his pants every time a roster player need to be traded.

Prudentius is offline   Reply With Quote