HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was Hiring Gainey a Mistake?

Old
03-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Joey

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
During slumps? We lost one game after winning four straight and this is popping up.
2 road wins in 12 tries is called a "slump" my friend

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:39 AM
TheGoalJudge

Well this off-season will do it for me. We have tons of cap room and are going to be one of the few teams not destroyed by the financial crisis.

Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
Marian Hossa
Marian Gaborik
Martin Havlat
Michael Cammalleri

Tanguay and Lang by themselves account for almost $10M in free cap space.

Make it happen Gainey or GTFO.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Coming to HF during slumps is a mistake :\
More like coming to HF after one loss is a mistake.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris96 View Post
no, but im starting to believe that hiring carbo was a mistake
I wish Carbo had more time as an assistant. I know he served as an assistant under Therrien and Hitchcock, but his total experience as a coach was limited. I am not in the fire carbo camp, but I must say if there is an experienced coach who is available and willing to come to Montreal in the off season I think Gainey needs to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudentius View Post
I'll say it again. Shame on Gainey for not going after Richards last year. He craps his pants every time a roster player need to be traded.
Richards would have been an awful pickup. Absolutely dreadful.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-05-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:47 AM
habs1988

Even if I'm sure the Sedin brothers will remain in Vancouver, I would to sign them this off-season.

I mean, everytime I watch a Canucks game, there are creating something. I would dump Kovy and one of Tanguay or Koivu for these brothers.

Anyway, I hope Gainey does something new this summer like...hummm...make a big trade or big signing?

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:56 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
lmao.. not much closer?

Someone post the line up from five years ago.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
lmao.. not much closer?

Someone post the line up from five years ago.
no, he's right. 6 years ago when gainey took over we were putting up 100 point seasons while maintaining a strong group of prospects in the minors. Do not question him; he clearly knows what he's talking about

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:07 AM
tinyzombies

When Gainey took over, it was obvious from his track record that he would take a long time to put this thing together. It took him forever in Dallas. But these days, because of the cap, you need to put things together quickly. We are already starting to lose prospects. Our farm is too fat and we aren't turning that into NHL gold.

1. Getzlaf. Huge mistake. He said the #1 need was a big, righthanded centerman. Then he drafts another Euro "scorer"? Duh.

2. Not trading up for Parise. I think he tried, but why didn't he make that happen? Lou didn't overpay... sigh.

3. Signing deadweight like Dandenault and Laraque for $1.75 mil each year. Hello, there's something called a CAP. That's $4 million we could have used to get a real #4 defenseman, then bring up a kid (Ferland?) to muck on the 4th line. Duh.

4. Not improving the size in our top 6.

5. Not improving the grit in our bottom 6.

6. And the worst mistake of all, waiting too long to get a legit #4 Dman. You need at least four "puck movers" (read: guys who can pass the puck) to win anything. Detroit has five. Duh.

Yes, he has improved the prospects on D in our minor league system, but that is only to replace our core that is about to leave. He never made any moves to help THIS core get to the next level. So THIS core never will. I think that's a failure either to network or to scope out the right deal.

But we haven't dipped too far (1st in the East last year baby) and he has bought the "kids" time.

His loyalty might pay off... who knows? I'd MUCH rather have Kovalchuk than Lecavalier or Jokinen. Bouwmeester would have been nice, but how could Florida trade him to US?

Hard to say.

Carbonneau is another story. I'm disappointed with him to say the least. But injuries have played a part. He is not very inventive and his old school tactics of putting grinders on scoring lines is very tired. He also does not know how to handle goalies. I worry that he is not a great communicator either. But maybe he is holding all his cards for the playoffs... like last year... uh... right.

In any case. Patience is a virtue. Let's hope anyway. Not saying I wouldn't have been tempted to jump and make a foolish move if I were Gainey. Just look at my ridiculously bad fantasy team...

Bring back Savard so we can have a 23-man roster of midget skill guys getting pasted into the glass! Actually, Savard was brilliant, just keep him away from the negotiation table.

PS: I'm a Gainey, Carbo AND Savard fan! They have tough jobs. Listing all the brilliant moves would take too long and make me look bad. Go habs Go!

Last edited by tinyzombies: 03-05-2009 at 01:22 AM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:09 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
no, he's right. 6 years ago when gainey took over we were putting up 100 point seasons while maintaining a strong group of prospects in the minors. Do not question him; he clearly knows what he's talking about
And Andre Savard was a brilliant drafter (remember Tomas Linhart, Cory Urquhart in the 2nd rounds? Genius!) and manager of contracts (his 4M for Breezy was the going price for a #1 d-man and Breezy was a #1, right?... Right?). I often wonder if some of the posters here know what true suffering is. Right now it's frustrating but it doesn't feel as demoralizing as it did from 1998-2003 when for the most of the time we were god awful with no end in sight or faith in management/ownership. My judgement of Gainey's regime isn't Grade A, but I don't find it a failure as some are indicating. I wish we could be more like Detroit, New Jersey but there are very few organizations that have been good for more than the past 6-7 years. Every team but Detroit and Jersey has had a non-playoff season since 2002! Then again for all the teams since 1993, only us, Boston, the Isles, Los Angeles and Winnipeg/Phoenix HAVEN'T been to a conference final.

Last edited by Hab-a-maniac: 03-05-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:13 AM
TheGoalJudge

I generally like Gainey but I can't help but think Timmins is as responsible as Gainey for our teams turnaround from 5 years ago.

I really don't like that he fired Julien, hired Carbonneau and uses Jarvis as a D coach. This is without talking about some questionable roster decisions.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:15 AM
Mustafa*

You guys... i like you so much! This thread is going to help my HF experience so much!

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:25 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
I generally like Gainey but I can't help but think Timmins is as responsible as Gainey for our teams turnaround from 5 years ago.

I really don't like that he fired Julien, hired Carbonneau and uses Jarvis as a D coach. This is without talking about some questionable roster decisions.
Julien was too cautious with us and did not play the kids AT ALL. The team was built around speed and he had them standing around and backpeddling. He has learned his lesson since then. Firing him was not a terrible move, but it wasn't fair either.

Old
03-05-2009, 01:27 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
And Andre Savard was a brilliant drafter (remember Tomas Linhart, Cory Urquhart in the 2nd rounds? Genius!) and manager of contracts (his 4M for Breezy was the going price for a #1 d-man and Breezy was a #1, right?... Right?). I often wonder if some of the posters ehre know what true suffering is. Right now it's frustrating but it doesn't feel as demoralizing as it did from 1998-2003 when for the most of the time we were god awful with no end in sight or faith in management/ownership.
The 2002 playoffs were great, but yeah.... I never want to see those days return again!

Old
03-05-2009, 01:44 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I think this team hyping up the 100th season was a big mistake, it has brought many retards out of the woodwork and made them proclaim their loyalty to the Habs.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:29 AM
mabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
Considering that the Habs seem no closer to being a Cup contender (almost) 6 years after Gainey took over the team - was the Gainey hiring a mistake?

Thoughts?
I beg to differ. The Kostitsyn brothers are a force of nature (or on the verge of being so). Lang before he was injured was on his way to a 30 goal season. Tanguay is a good solid two way presence. Kovalev was a Gainey acquisition who while he sometimes vanishes, when he's on his game is one of the leagues premier playmakers. Price and Halak are very young goalies who will both (hopefully) develop into premier goalies in this league (see Halak's 48 shot victory the other night for an example of what they're capable of). Komisarek was leading the league in shots blocked not too long ago and is a massive physical presence when he's on his game. Markov is an all star dman and deservedly so, Higgins is an excellent 2 way player, Plekanec is a very good 2nd line scorer.

On top of all that we have guys like D'aggostini, Pacioretty, McDonaugh, and so on either on the team, just breaking in or about to break in to the team.

I'd say this is a VERY solid team, something you could not say about it 6 years ago.

Aside from his devotion to Carbonneau (who i'll admit is ..... slowly... improving), I'd say Gainey is doing an overall good job.

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:13 AM
Sir Jacques Demers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus View Post
I'd say Gainey is doing an overall good job.
Overall isn't good enough.

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:31 AM
Beakermania*

to answer the OP... no it was not a mistake... if you don't see how we are better team than 6 years ago, you need to look at that roster of 6 years ago and compare it to today.

the team is much, much, much, improved.

we're a piece or two away from the cup... and when the right piece is there, Bob will get it. The right piece at the right price hasn't been there yet.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:25 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
No closer to winning the cup? Did you watch this team before he took over? Did you look at the standings? No mistake at all, he has build a strong young team and while he wanted the team to be ready for the cup this season, things out of his control have screwed it up. I am not worried at all.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
Gainey has done well, but we couldn't pass that last step between being a good team and contender.
well said
that's how I see Gainey too

a good regular season team, but a solide playoff/cup contender team...NOT

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:35 AM
WeezyHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
Well this off-season will do it for me. We have tons of cap room and are going to be one of the few teams not destroyed by the financial crisis.

Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
Marian Hossa
Marian Gaborik
Martin Havlat
Michael Cammalleri

Tanguay and Lang by themselves account for almost $10M in free cap space.

Make it happen Gainey or GTFO.
You must be drunk theres no way we could possibly afford all those UFA

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Considering that the Habs are a lot closer to being a Cup contender than when Gainey took over the team, I would have to say 'no'.

Besides, who do you suggest as an alternative?
I don't believe Gainey is the man for the job any longer. We should try yo bring in Pierre Lacroix. I guarantee we would not go through days like today with Pierre in charge.

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
I don't believe Gainey is the man for the job any longer. We should try yo bring in Pierre Lacroix. I guarantee we would not go through days like today with Pierre in charge.
Yeah, we would go through days that blow up our prospects depth for nothing! Joy!

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:18 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudentius View Post
I'll say it again. Shame on Gainey for not going after Richards last year. He craps his pants every time a roster player need to be traded.
richards had a NTC and could pick and choose where he wanted to go.. he went from a state w/ no state income tax (florida) to another one without a state income tax (texas) which was one of the rumored reasons he chose the stars over the blue jackets.. so yes, once again (not the first time ive said this on here), shame on gainey for not taking over quebec's taxation laws and altering them to suit his teams needs

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
Hiring Gainey was NOT a mistake because he was able to put this team to another level.

Now, I think we need someone else who will be able to take some risks to bring this team to another level. I don't say that I want a GM who will trade anybody ala Milbury but just someone who will be able to get quality over quantity.

The problem with Gainey is that he won't pull a major trade. He's the kind of GM who prefer to do low-risk/low-reward moves.

I don't have any problem with this mentality when you want to rebuild. But it's been 5 years that we didn't get an elite forward. Sure, Kovy and Tanguay are very good players, but there are no elite forward. We had a chance to get an elite talent today, and it was Jokinen.

I can do the same thing with Pittsburgh. Look at Michel Therrien how he was able to develop and give responsabilities to his young players like Staal, Malkin, Crosby, Whitney, Fleury, Letang...Sure, there are good first, but he was able to develop them to another level which is almost a number 1 team in the conference. Now, they need someone else to continue and get them to another level. That's the same problem with Gainey.

He needs to take chances..which he doesn't.

how is Jokinen more elite than Tanguay or Kovalev?

Jokinen had 2 good seasons, but the rest is pretty average, while tanguay got many good seasons and is still more constant than Jokinen

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Gainey isn't a bad GM, but I'm starting to think hiring people with ties to the team (former player, assistant, w/e) is a big problem when it comes to let people go or being critical of their work (intra-organisation wise).

We need to get people who come here to work and that will be fairly criticized, not remember the good ol' days (not saying they are, but the country club image is kind of settling in).

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote