HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke - Kaberle @ 4.25mil cannot be replaced!

Old
03-04-2009, 11:51 PM
wildone26*

vCash: 500
I was for trading him at one point but now that I step back and look at it I am happy he is staying. It is crazy to think the team has to purge itself of even all middle aged players, even ones as great a Kaberle, just because they are going into a "rebuild". As others have said he took a discount to stay here in the first place, he might take one in his advancing age in the future too as well. I just think it is good he is staying. For his price his productivity is great. He is a legit #1 D man, probably the only one currently on this team even though I am impressed with the overall depth of the Leafs defence corps right now.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
If you are talking about veterans to mentor them I don't think you need to spend 9 million a year, and not for guys that you can trade for 1st round picks. They can sign Ohlund as a teacher and still get their assets for the Ks.
Follow the Chicago mold, pay your dues, and win with your young core. These guys, especially Kubina, could get injured, lose their game, or simply tire of the coach or the organization. Or maybe they want too much money to resign, because as you know vets want to be paid as though they will never decline. They are a luxury for the next two years and may not be near the same players by the time the club is a winner.

It is more important that they have a shot at top 5 drafts and get young assets then to have these two minus players in their lineup. If they deal Kaberle in the summer they can always resign him ufa in a couple of years. I would sooner see them select Zack Kassian at this draft then watch Kaberle repeat this year or last.

I like both Ks but I don't think in 4 -5 years either will be as good as the top D men on this years best clubs for instance. I think it is a gamble to think they will both fit into the club's plans that far down the road.
Fair enough. Burke still has the draft and off-season to do something with Kaberle and Kubina -- he may have to deal them to trade up still in the draft.

But I'm hopeful, I mean if Schneider could fetch the picks at his age...LOL.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashfan24 View Post
I was for trading him at one point but now that I step back and look at it I am happy he is staying. It is crazy to think the team has to purge itself of even all middle aged players, even ones as great a Kaberle, just because they are going into a "rebuild". As others have said he took a discount to stay here in the first place, he might take one in his advancing age in the future too as well. I just think it is good he is staying. For his price his productivity is great. He is a legit #1 D man, probably the only one currently on this team even though I am impressed with the overall depth of the Leafs defence corps right now.
I don't consider Kaberle a #1 defenceman, and I don't even think he's on that good of a contract, 4.25m seems about fair to me. I see Kubina and Schenn ahead of him as d-men and Kaberle as a #3 / specialty offensive defensemen. I would never put Kaberle out as a PK'er or vs. the opposing teams top line.
I don't think I'm the only one that thinks this way of Kaberle, I do believe Burke when he said he didn't take one call for Kaberle on TDD.

Smif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:12 AM
pwallll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashfan24 View Post
I was also all for trading him before but Burke is right about not being able to replace Kaberle at his salary. So right now im just happy with what Burke is doing with Kaberle... Keep him unless we get an offer too good to refuse.

pwallll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:52 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calacatz View Post
Did anyone catch Burke's interview on Leafs TV just after the deadline when he mentioned that Kaberle at 4.25mil cannot be replaced.

He is totally right!! He set a super high price and stated the injury had nothing to do with the lack of interest and he had every right to throw that price tag out.

The man is an absolute steal at that price and is a true blue leaf who can be a huge part of the rebuild.

Idiots like Derreck Morris are seeking 5mil/season in this upcoming UFA market.

We need youth and experienced talent to win and Kaberle and Kubina are 2 good pieces to get this puzzle going.

I am so jacked for July 1st!!

Any comments on Tomas? Would you keep him as part of the future plans?
Like I said before he is worth keeping if we can't get the right price. His cap friendly contract is very important. You factor in his age and skill why would we trade him?

I think these coments are smart and a message to the rest of the league that if you want Kaberle you better pay up. He is increasing Kaberle's hype with these comments.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:56 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
You can rebuild with a 30 year old..
yeah in 2 years when we are good... he's either a) gone or b) commanding 7 mil

joepeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

Quote:
Did anyone catch Burke's interview on Leafs TV just after the deadline when he mentioned that Kaberle at 4.25mil cannot be replaced.

He is totally right!! He set a super high price and stated the injury had nothing to do with the lack of interest and he had every right to throw that price tag out.

The man is an absolute steal at that price and is a true blue leaf who can be a huge part of the rebuild.

We need youth and experienced talent to win and Kaberle and Kubina are 2 good pieces to get this puzzle going.

So how do you plan on getting this "youth"? If you want your lineup filled with a bunch of Stapletons and Sifers and 8th overall selections then by all means Leafs should keep on doing what they're doing. However, if it's quality youth Leafs seek, then you have to give to recieve.

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:07 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisToLeafsNation View Post
That's all fine and dandy at 4.25M, but what happens when he also wants a raise?
Well, he'll make that decision at trade deadline 2011.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:08 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps View Post
I can see Kabs staying in Toronto for a considerable discount.

Old
03-05-2009, 03:10 PM
selltrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps View Post
agreed

selltrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:10 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I was also all for trading him before but Burke is right about not being able to replace Kaberle at his salary. So right now im just happy with what Burke is doing with Kaberle... Keep him unless we get an offer too good to refuse.
Exactly, the thought of getting rid of him, just for the sake of getting rid of him, is ridiculous.

Old
03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
KapG

I totally despise soft players like Kabs.

Every time I see him go into the corner and purposely let the opponent get the puck first because he is too scared to take a hit my BP rises a couple of points.

It wasn't always this way though. He was a much better player prior to the Jannsenn hit

KapG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:14 PM
bcool

Quote:

Burke is just playing with you guys, consider Kabby gone by the start of next season.

bcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Cool Hand Luke

Does everyone already forget how badly we got burned re-signing Tucker and McCabe when we could have traded them for value? At least one of these two guys needs to go. I'm so tired of seeing their faces.

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:21 PM
KLM-Line

vCash: 530
Kaberle is my fav Leaf and the decesion to keep him itself wouldn`t be a stupid one. But everytime we want to make a major trade it will include one of the Ks (with Kabs as frontrunner). Imo we lost the luxury/option to keep him at the very moment Sundin,McCabe etc. left us for nothing.

KLM-Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Sergei Berezin

Here's an interesting take on the Kaberle situation by Gus Katsaros:

Quote:
Ghost of Tomas Kaberle

I find it interesting to hear big name hockey analysts talking about retaining Tomas Kaberle. Mainly for the fact that if he’s dealt now, in the off season, or some point in the future, the Buds will have to find a player to replace his skill set.

OK, there’s truth to that.
Interesting analysis, buoyed by the alternate that his favorable contract situation will lapse in two more seasons, and his skills could deteriorate.

Having seen the forward thinking of the current Leafs management group, it brings to light another possible scenario, in particular regarding the two 2nd round picks now attained from yesterday’s deadline.

There’s a player in Windsor by the name of Taylor Hall. We’ve gone over this (tank!!). But there’s a blueliner that also deserves consideration for bringing to a team the skill set of one Tomas Kaberle.

Currently featured at #9 on the 2009 NHL Draft - McKeen’s Spring Rankings Top 60, Ryan Ellis could be exactly what the Buds intend to target at the draft.

Could the fact that he wasn’t dealt now only give the GM the flexibility to deal league-wide, with the intention of moving up the draft to snag Ryan Ellis? A bit undersized by NHL standards, the diminutive rearguard has a smooth skating stride, exemplary vision and escapability. He’s Kaberle the Younger.

Now, this is just speculation, but could the two 2nd rounders be flipped, for a shot at Ellis, should he fall down in rankings enough to make the flip feasible?

It would give the Leafs two first round picks and replacing the skill set that every GM is coveting in Kaberle with Ellis. It then gives them the opportunity to trade Kaberle for the King’s ransom fans are expecting and acquiring more assets going forward.

Even if it isn’t a direct flip of both 2nd round picks, it could be Kaberle to the team with the draft pick at the ready to pick up Ellis.

There wouldn’t be any ‘no-trade clauses’ at that time, and partner Pavel Kubina could also be moved, should the need arise. Burke and Wilson love him off, but with one more year on the contract, could they look at moving him?

We’ve seen the Leafs thinking outside the box already. Can we see more at the draft?
...rest of the article - http://mapleleafshotstove.com/index....erle-revisted/

Sergei Berezin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 370
Burke isn't "rebuilding" he's "renovating". He said so on AM640.

This off season, Burke is going to use his cap room and sign people for no-longer than 3 year terms and then take a run at the playoffs next season.

If the leafs suck next season as they usually do, he cuts his losses, trades Kaberle and goes on AM640 again and tells everybody "it's a rebuild...we're supposed to suck".

Guy Boucher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbagegoal84 View Post

This off season, Burke is going to use his cap room and sign people for no-longer than 3 year terms and then take a run at the playoffs next season.

If the leafs suck next season as they usually do, he cuts his losses, trades Kaberle and goes on AM640 again and tells everybody "it's a rebuild...we're supposed to suck".
If the Sedins re-sign with Vancouver and Bouwmeester signs elsewhere like everyone says he will, then who can we sign that will make us a playoff team? There is no one. We will most likely be around the same spot as we are this year. We're forced to build from within because all the good free agents are always locked up long term.

Smif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Arian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
I totally despise soft players like Kabs.

Every time I see him go into the corner and purposely let the opponent get the puck first because he is too scared to take a hit my BP rises a couple of points.

It wasn't always this way though. He was a much better player prior to the Jannsenn hit
That's why I don't want him to stay. He's also bad defensively. We've let guys like Tucker, Sundin and McCabe leave for nothing and now we want to keep Kaberle.

Arian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:29 PM
MadarameIkakku83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
If the Sedins re-sign with Vancouver and Bouwmeester signs elsewhere like everyone says he will, then who can we sign that will make us a playoff team? There is no one. We will most likely be around the same spot as we are this year. We're forced to build from within because all the good free agents are always locked up long term.
which is good, cuz i want to stay as far away from the sedins as possible

MadarameIkakku83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Chea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbagegoal84 View Post

I hope he tries and fails miserably. If he's that stupid then he deserves to fail.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote