HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I Consider us Winners at the Deadline

Old
03-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

vCash: 500
If the goal is a playoff birth and first round exit, then yes, Habs are TDD winners no doubt. They should do nothing to alter the team.

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:53 PM
panorama01*

Gainey is doing a fine job. Trading for the sake of trading rarely works... Rejean Houle used to trade "for the playoffs"... it's refreshing to see a GM who does not yield to media pressure. If the Canadiens win a playoff berth, and probably they will, they may do much better than people think... better to slump in February than then.

panorama01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Stradale

yeah yeah.. Gainey is a god.

The best trades are the one you didnt make.

The best signing are the one you didnt sign.

Right... I am so tired of this bs.

How come it took Gainey needs a 5 years plan to make the Habs 1st round contender while the Flyers who was dead last in the league in 06-07 with 56 points are now cup contenders for the next couples of years.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:57 PM
panorama01*

The Flyers are a completely different case... They were helped with their two first round picks in 2003 that are very productive for the moment, and of course one can always say that Gainey, who had just arrived at the time, should have insisted that the Canadiens pick one of those two instead of Kostitsyn...

Also, their core from the mid-90s was falling apart and there were openings that they could fill with fresher players - at first they went with Roenick for Forsberg, effectively, (Forsberg was signed as a FA when Colorado could not afford him under the cap and gave Roenick to LA along with a draft pick) and then when Forsberg was too injured and the defence inadequate they were able to get many players from Nashville for him, effectively, including players who replaced, for example, Eric Desjardins (Timonen)...

They also were able to sign Briere... they had effectively the reputation as contenders for over ten years, plus a better tax and media situation than did Montreal to lure free agents... the Canadiens had to restore their reputation...

The failure of the Flyers in 2006-07 was really just a one year failure... even then they not only had Carter and Richards but also Pitkanen... and also the Phantoms had recently won the Calder Cup.

All is not perfect for the Flyers... they have cap trouble and their team is by no means a sure contender.

panorama01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
yeah yeah.. Gainey is a god.

The best trades are the one you didnt make.

The best signing are the one you didnt sign.

Right... I am so tired of this bs.

How come it took Gainey needs a 5 years plan to make the Habs 1st round contender while the Flyers who was dead last in the league in 06-07 with 56 points are now cup contenders for the next couples of years.
Philly a contender??? Did you look at their goaltending and defense lately?

They got lucky in the second round last season, and the guy responsible for that is having an awful year. Also, who did Briere chose to go with? HE was the one who made the choici. Also, Philly already had one of the best players in the league in Simon Gagné. Habs don't have such. And that was Peanut's mistake.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Philly a contender??? Did you look at their goaltending and defense lately?

They got lucky in the second round last season, and the guy responsible for that is having an awful year. Also, who did Briere chose to go with? HE was the one who made the choici. Also, Philly already had one of the best players in the league in Simon Gagné. Habs don't have such. And that was Peanut's mistake.
When you build your team with Gagne, Richards, Carter and Briere as your third line center. Anything could happen.

They have 56 pts in 06-07. 56pts!! And now they have a team with 3 guys that could play for Team Canada in 2010. These are the guys you build your team with. How many of that do we have here.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:44 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoivu View Post
I like alot of habs fans were expecting alot of movement at the deadline but i after i thought about it id consider us winners at the deadline.

Many would have liked us to get a top 6 forward. Tanguay is going to be back in a week and is exactly that.

The addition of Schnieder even though not at the deadline is helping our pp alot. (tonight not included)

Metropolit is a good third line player in the league, and altough might not replace Langs 30 goals he may have gotten, metropolit is a third line player that we got for nothing.

I dont understand, how can people be mad that we gave up a 2nd to get schnieder saying we'd have no picks when we are hosting the draft then get mad when we dont make a splash at the deadline. Picks were heavily saught after this deadline would we be better off giving up a first round pick for a player to play 20 games?

Montreal fans are really confusing, Gainey is critisized for moves he makes then critisized for not making moves. We have a solid team in my mind.

Im worried about price right now but if he can regain forum and catch fire going into playoffs we will be a force to be reconed with.

We still basically have the same forwards that made us the highest scoring team in the league last year with a highly skilled past 70 pt getter coming back. By he way we were tops in the league with tanguay healthy.

Did anybody see the scores trade deadline flops?????? Some of those trades were awful and have hurt some teams for alot of years. At the time i will admit i thought they were good moves.

I give cudos to gainey for not giving into the Montreal media and fans pressure to make a big FOOLISH move and having the bag to do what he thinks is right.

When Montreal refinds its scoring touch, Price plays with confidence and plays like he can, and we make a deep play off push and contend for th cup alot of people are going to eat there words and jump on the band wagon.

Gainey knwos more about hockey then any of us, any sports reprter, or any hockey analyis on the score or TSN. If those reporters on TSN or the score were that smart theyd have GM jobs or coaching jobs instead staiting the obvious on TV.

Dont be fooled by these goofs, we are winners at the deadline.

Way to go Bob, GO HABS
ha ha ha ha ha

now thats a good one

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 11:46 PM
totalrecall

BG is smart, he knows our team isn't going anywhere this year, so he didnt't waste our young players for 2 weeks rentals, we wouldn't last longer than 1 round anywhere

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote