HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your Opinion After Today?

View Poll Results: ??
We made out Great 63 31.19%
We Made out alright 121 59.90%
We Made out a little Worse 7 3.47%
Was Sather Drunk? 11 5.45%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-04-2009, 11:23 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

vCash: 500
Your Opinion After Today?

2 Threads MERGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Yes some are pissed that Prucha is gone..but c'on, we did we expect? He played like 1/4th of the season thanks to someone who isnt with the organization anymore. We knew he was getting shipped out.

After the whole ordeal:

Lose: Dawes, Prucha, Voros, Reitz and Klanin
Gained: Morris, Avery, Antropov

IMO obviously we look much better on paper, we have 6 dman which I wouldnt consider any a "bottom pair" player. We gained more scoring with Avery and Antropov, losing Voros/Dawes/Prucha. Mainly Voros since he played almost every game for some reason with the team this year.

Team got bigger, tougher, and gained scoring.

Short term, we easily are much better..long term...we will see. I hope to got we can lock up Antropov with a decent contract for a few years. Finally hitting his prime after a long development and a few injuries when he was younger.

Right now...we made out very good....if we dont resign Antropov..then i'll change my opinion, also of course judging how we do with our playoff push.

BTW, Antropov is now our teams leading goal scorer playing for a basement team
-----------------------------------------

A few weeks ago I posted my trade deadline wish list. Let's see how Glen did...

Quote:
1. No net loss of future assets. I liked the concept when Sather traded Niemenen for a 3rd and then swapped the pick out for Ozolinsh. Players aside, that's the kind of deal we should be doing. I didn't like what Montreal did today to get Schneider. That the kind of squandering of assets that I want to avoid.

2. Get something for those who are not in the future plans. Let's face it -- Dawes and Prucha have probably outlived their shelf life here. Potter may also be in this group. Move them and get some return before they leave this summer.

3. Look for a value for value trade. Ward for Mara two years ago was a trade that helped both teams. Maybe there's another move like that out there.

Sure, if something drops out of the sky that makes sense I'm all in but I don't expect anyone to be picking up a large contract right now or a fire sale of a star. That stuff will happen during the summer.
1. Depending on the conditional choice parameters, I'm happy with what we did today. No stunning trades of future assets.

2. Big, big win here. Dawes and Prucha were finished in New York. Kalinin was a one year rental who was not going to be resigned. While I have concerns about Morris', we basically got him for beer money.

3. Avery on re-entry waivers is excellent value. Jury's out on 2nd and a conditional choice for Nik. We'll have to see how this works out. In May we can judge whether this was value for value, or something more/less.

Overall, I give Sather a solid B for not gambling away the future and strengthening the team for the stretch run, all without trading away future assets.

Last edited by FLYLine24: 03-05-2009 at 12:48 AM.
bobbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:25 PM
pld459666

This is the team (save any injuries) we go to the PO's with

And overall I am ok with that.

This week was a successful week. We got better at forward and on defence. While I may not have liked the deal I do think we got better.

I'm excited about the stretch run. A more aggressive style, a forward group with a better frame to it. A three line team that has a very defensively capable 4th line that can also be very useful on the penalty kill.

With regards to the defence, a solid mobile and now a bit more physical.

If the forwards can remain defensively responsible, then this team can bet very dangerous.

I'm very excited about this stretch run.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:35 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post

1. Depending on the conditional choice parameters, I'm happy with what we did today. No stunning trades of future assets.

2. Big, big win here. Dawes and Prucha were finished in New York. Kalinin was a one year rental who was not going to be resigned. While I have concerns about Morris', we basically got him for beer money.

3. Avery on re-entry waivers is excellent value. Jury's out on 2nd and a conditional choice for Nik. We'll have to see how this works out. In May we can judge whether this was value for value, or something more/less.

Overall, I give Sather a solid B for not gambling away the future and strengthening the team for the stretch run, all without trading away future assets.
Thought the Rangers could have gotten more for Dawes, an RFA... no matter how you look at it.

Its not what WE THINK... its HOW SATHER should project his value...

This is a growing second year player, with skill who is a certain bet as an RFA... not a guy whos going to walk, so theres added value right there to an organization. I think the people who are pissed about this is the fact that all the Rangers got back for him is a guy who could potentially be here for 18 games.

Lets not forget that the whole idea behind letting a guy like Dawes go so easily because of the stockpiled RFA's this summer is the problem in itself. If Sather knew he couldnt keep one of Dawes, Dubinsky or Callahan.. then he should have traded him earlier in the year - I guarantee he could have gotten a higher pick, or even a decent young winger with a year left on his contract... who knows..

Bottom line is, Dawes was UNDERVALUED in this deal, no matter how you cut it.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post

I say we make this a poll.

IMO As BAD as Sathers been with signings... hes been THAT GOOD with trades.

I give Sather an A.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:50 PM
asparkoflife

Sather really does great in trades.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:54 PM
OverTheCap

This is tough, because in all honesty, the Rangers should be sellers and not buyers. I would be a lot happier if Sather cleared some salary today. He made our cap situation even more precarious by saying that he thinks he can resign both Antropov & Morris.

He made strides in admitting that some of his offseason moves were a failure, trading Kalinin, waiving both Rissmiller & Voros, & reaquiring Avery. Now if only he owned up to a few other free agent mistakes, this team would be headed in the right direction.

I would give him a B, because we are a better team than we were yesterday and we didn't give up any prospects.

By the way, did anyone notice that Fritsche scored ANOTHER goal last night? I wish he was given more of a chance here....

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2009, 11:56 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I wish we could all take a step back and look at the big picture here. These guys arent going to get this team over the hump and they are still in a spiraling cap problem.

There are certain times you can address these needs going forward and the trading deadline is one of them. Sure, they got a little better but i think the whole premise of todays deadline is a reactionary measure of Sathers mismangement of the cap.

Old
03-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

It's easy to do well in trades when the only people you trade with are your fishing and cigar buddies.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:06 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Lets not forget to thank Sather for all the deals he said NO THANKS to today

03-05-2009, 12:08 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
He made our cap situation even more precarious by saying that he thinks he can resign both Antropov & Morris.

Lol whats he supposed to say?

Those two are playing for what likely is the contract of their careers. Let's see what they got.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:10 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Well "if" they make the playoffs , they are better suited than yesterday.

Philly got tougher and grittier

Debbies got some needed D help

Pens actually made some decent moves as well

Standing pat was really not an option

Old
03-05-2009, 12:12 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
This is tough, because in all honesty, the Rangers should be sellers and not buyers. I would be a lot happier if Sather cleared some salary today. He made our cap situation even more precarious by saying that he thinks he can resign both Antropov & Morris.

He made strides in admitting that some of his offseason moves were a failure, trading Kalinin, waiving both Rissmiller & Voros, & reaquiring Avery. Now if only he owned up to a few other free agent mistakes, this team would be headed in the right direction.

I would give him a B, because we are a better team than we were yesterday and we didn't give up any prospects.

By the way, did anyone notice that Fritsche scored ANOTHER goal last night? I wish he was given more of a chance here....
Thats how i feel, the overall idea of going for it right now is the wrong one and thats where my assessments stem from. This team still could have been competitive and even had gotten a few players in the process while shedding some bank in the process. If Jokinen and his contract was traded, a decent one could have been lifted from the Rangers with some creativity.

Old
03-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Kalinin had to go to get rid of a contract. Morris for Dawes/Prucha. Prucha a guy who barely made it onto our roster. Dawes a guy who has not progressed at all and was squeezed off the roster even before we added Avery/Antropov without removing roster players.

Add one more fact: we probably prevented another team in our Conference from adding Morris...weren't the rumors PHI or NJD?

Avery for half the contract and addition by subtraction pushing Voros out the door. Antropov for a pick or two.

Are you serious? If you get past the fact that no one was going to take on our loaded contracts, Glen did a phenomenal job this week.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:23 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

after taking 9 hours to really think about the deals...

I like them...I actually like them.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
after taking 9 hours to really think about the deals...

I like them...I actually like them.
Yea I do too. Antropov has alot of talent and they finally have 6 actual top 6 forwards in my mind.........after that I like the 3rd with Avery, Korps, Cally and the 4th has been good all year

Have to like Morris instead of Kalinin.......Avery in for Dawes and Antropov in for Prucha. Only gave up a 2nd which was the standard really. Will miss Dawes but as mentioned Prucha and Kalinin were gone next year anyways

good moves !

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Thats how i feel, the overall idea of going for it right now is the wrong one and thats where my assessments stem from. This team still could have been competitive and even had gotten a few players in the process while shedding some bank in the process. If Jokinen and his contract was traded, a decent one could have been lifted from the Rangers with some creativity.
Dawes could have returned more. Someone would have taken SG, CD, WR, or MR. Are you one of the 29 GM's in disguise?

We are in the thick of a playoff race. We don't need no stinkin' draft pick in return for Dawes. We needed a veteran upgrade or two. And Jokinen BTW was a Keenan guy was he not?

Old
03-05-2009, 12:41 AM
dccuse

if dawes and prucha didnt get moved this year they would have been gone in the offseason. Theyre not nor should they be in the teams future plans - we used them for what we could, an upgrade. Fact is we want to bring up anisimov next year. Chances are we either give grachev a spot or maybe if we can afford go after a free agent winger in the offseason. Also, although only recently, Korpi looks to be coming along quite nicely and perhaps deserved in the near future of a top 6 spot, certainly moreso than dawes or prucha.

At least we used them to get better at D (i think).

Other teams knew that we couldnt and wouldnt fit them. We were going to get undervalue for them anyway - so consider that a wash. Avery and antropov over dawes and prucha any day of the week.

As for Morris, he's an expiring contract too, plus having seen him a lot over the years hes less mistake prone than kalinin (At least than kalinin was this year)

no reason for sather to think long term with the players he got rid of. He gave us a better chance to win this year and didnt mortgage the actual future.

A- overall from me. Gave up a 2nd rounder and improved in three lineup spots.

Only qualm is i would have rather unloaded naslund than prucha, cleared up cap space. But i suppose if he'd clear his ntc now hed do it in the offseason and hes good for playoffs.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:42 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Your Opinion after today?

Yes some are pissed that Prucha is gone..but c'on, we did we expect? He played like 1/4th of the season thanks to someone who isnt with the organization anymore. We knew he was getting shipped out.

After the whole ordeal:

Lose: Dawes, Prucha, Voros, Reitz and Klanin
Gained: Morris, Avery, Antropov

IMO obviously we look much better on paper, we have 6 dman which I wouldnt consider any a "bottom pair" player. We gained more scoring with Avery and Antropov, losing Voros/Dawes/Prucha. Mainly Voros since he played almost every game for some reason with the team this year.

Team got bigger, tougher, and gained scoring.

Short term, we easily are much better..long term...we will see. I hope to got we can lock up Antropov with a decent contract for a few years. Finally hitting his prime after a long development and a few injuries when he was younger.

Right now...we made out very good....if we dont resign Antropov..then i'll change my opinion, also of course judging how we do with our playoff push.

BTW, Antropov is now our teams leading goal scorer playing for a basement team

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 12:44 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Agreed. I also like Mark Bell in Hartford in case we have an injury. I like him over Voros at least.

The only loss today is I wish Reitz made it through waivers as insurance.

Other than that Sather did good.

Old
03-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Who would have thought a Glen Sather run organization would look like this...

(2) Top Six NHL Russian Forwards
(1) Future NHL Top Six, current AHL Russian Forward
(1) Future NHL Top Six, current CHL Russian Forward
(1) Deceased, imminent NHL Top Six while alive, Russian Forward

Copying Washington's blueprint?

Old
03-05-2009, 01:23 AM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Who would have thought a Glen Sather run organization would look like this...

(2) Top Six NHL Russian Forwards
(1) Future NHL Top Six, current AHL Russian Forward
(1) Future NHL Top Six, current CHL Russian Forward
(1) Deceased, imminent NHL Top Six while alive, Russian Forward

Copying Washington's blueprint?
I accept this and gladly hope we can even get to be a bit of that.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:30 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

I gave today's deadline a 4/10 for Sather. Why? Because he may have solved some of our needs but even with Antropov and Morris this team may get into the playoffs, but they're not going anywhere unless Lundqvist gets hot.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:37 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
I gave today's deadline a 4/10 for Sather. Why? Because he may have solved some of our needs but even with Antropov and Morris this team may get into the playoffs, but they're not going anywhere unless Lundqvist gets hot.

So you gave him a 4/10 for solving our needs....what the hell did he have to do for you to give him a 10/10? Magically turn the team into a all-star roster?

Hate sather much?

Old
03-05-2009, 01:42 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
So you gave him a 4/10 for solving our needs....what the hell did he have to do for you to give him a 10/10? Magically turn the team into a all-star roster?

Hate sather much?
I gave him a 4/10 because he solved SOME of our needs. This team still doesn't have a legit scorer. This team does still not have a legit offensive defenceman. This team is still going nowhere in the playoffs. If Sather did anything today he delayed the time when the Rangers will get better.

Stuck in mediocrity until these contracts are done, yeah I hate Sather a little bit.

Edit - and I'm pretty sure Prucha is going to be one of those players that you have to kick yourself for letting go of.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 01:46 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
I gave him a 4/10 because he solved SOME of our needs. This team still doesn't have a legit scorer. This team does still not have a legit offensive defenceman. This team is still going nowhere in the playoffs. If Sather did anything today he delayed the time when the Rangers will get better.

Stuck in mediocrity until these contracts are done, yeah I hate Sather a little bit.

Edit - and I'm pretty sure Prucha is going to be one of those players that you have to kick yourself for letting go of.

What was he suppose to do? We have no cap room. Did you want him to trade Staal/Dubinsky/Anisimov for Gaborik or Kovalchulk? Then let them walk away after this season because we dont have cap room to keep them?

C'on, your being very unrealistic if you thought we were getting a 1st line sniper.

He brought size and player who is now our leading goal scorer for just a 2nd (maybe more if we make it to the 3rd round)....thats a good trade.

Add Avery also, more scoring then garbage Voros, and more heart and grit.

Add Morris, giving us 6 solid dmen, in which nobody is considered a bottom pairing...upgrade.

What is there not to like in the current moment?