Eric O'Dell

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2009, 09:04 AM
hitt

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to hitt
Eric O'Dell

During the deadline Erik Christensen was dealt to Ducks for a prospect Eric O'Dell (2nd round pick '08, #39). What do you guys think of him? I don't really know much about him. HF ranks him the 7th in the prospect chart being the 2nd best center, behind Holzapfel and just above Esposito. According to HF his upside would be 2nd liner maybe. He's touted for his hockey sense, vision and his shot, but on the downside isn't a very good skater and he's not particulary strong either. So far he seems to get the job done and putting up points in the OHL.

Thoughts?

Old
03-05-2009, 09:11 AM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitt View Post
During the deadline Erik Christensen was dealt to Ducks for a prospect Eric O'Dell (2nd round pick '08, #39). What do you guys think of him? I don't really know much about him. HF ranks him the 7th in the prospect chart being the 2nd best center, behind Holzapfel and just above Esposito. According to HF his upside would be 2nd liner maybe. He's touted for his hockey sense, vision and his shot, but on the downside isn't a very good skater and he's not particulary strong either. So far he seems to get the job done and putting up points in the OHL.

Thoughts?
Not much of a clue about him. With his size, he just sounds young. He can put on some weight. A 6'0" frame isn't small. From what I've been hearing, it's his skating that is his biggest liability.

Christensen wasn't doing too much for us, so I'm glad we moved him. I hope he does well with a fresh start on a different team. With his spot open, maybe we'll get to see some more of our youth before the end of the season.

Old
03-05-2009, 09:16 AM
The Sneak

To be honest I've never even heard of him until yesterday. what I know is statistically based. I see that he's the second leading scorer for his junior team and he's only in his second year. I see he's tallied more points than Jared Stall. I've noted that he made, and scored in, the OHL All Star game. I see that he wears #91 which kind of makes him a little douchey in my eyes.

I'm cautiously optimistic

Old
03-05-2009, 09:39 AM
GetPucksDeep

Do the Wolves still have that coach who is so good at teaching skating? Maybe he can help. Sounds like anothe year in juniors and at least one in Chicago.

Old
03-05-2009, 09:58 AM
hydromel

well, we got him in exchange for Christensen so he can't be THAT highly touted, but I'll take a 2008 #39 pick for Christensen any day.

Generally, the Ducks fans are not happy with the trade but also saw O'Dell as expendable. They think he is at least 2 years away from being ready.

Old
03-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Magnus Fulgur

DW got something for somebody who wasn't part of the solution, and wisely kept the guys who are part of the solution (Army, Reasoner).

Havelid's comment about how NJ's goal is to win the cup whereas Atlanta's goal was to get the puck out of their own zone was cute and I have no problem with it, but I thought it was unintentionally ironic.
Havelid was a minutes-eater and a good conservative D-man asked to play too much and worked his tail off for us: but he was part of the problem. First, he absolutely had no interest in trying to keep the puck in the offensive zone, and we lost perhaps entire weeks worth of puck possession over his tenure here due to his refusal to try and read the play offensively and not just shadow the opponents' breakout patterns. Secondly, there seemed to be "It's okay, Havelid will mop up the problems" attitude defensively just as there was a "It's okay, Kovalchuk will score" attitude for quite some time on this team. While in just the first game against Florida with things being disorganized and Lewis thrown in the mix I saw a lot more hustle and less passivity in the defense even though it was misguided hustle. Havelid never stepped up to guys, and this really set the tone for our D over the past two seasons.

Havelid's conservative play held Toby back this year and taught him some bad habits. Toby needs to flow and work on his great instincts...instead we saw him constantly collapsing, collapsing, collapsing to the point where he's in the crease on his knees instead of challenging people.

Although I'm critical of Havelid, I know he worked his butt off here despite being on a bad team, and was always beyond classy. That aspect of him I'll miss.

Old
03-05-2009, 11:17 AM
The Maltais Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydromel View Post
Generally, the Ducks fans are not happy with the trade but also saw O'Dell as expendable. They think he is at least 2 years away from being ready.
If they feel two years is too long to wait for a player then they're in for a rude awakening with Christensen. He won't ever arrive.

Now watch him turn into their version of Rich Peverley. Or ... uh ... Chris Kunitz.

Old
03-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Brock

I've seen O'Dell several times. I actually really like him as a prospect. He probably profiles as a 2nd/3rd liner.

He's a solid all around player who plays both ends of the ice. He's always the first forward back for Sudbury. His skating isn't amazing, but I don't think its terrible either. He could stand to improve his first step and become a little more explosive, but there are worse skating prospects in the OHL. Offensively, he sees the ice well and is a good all around player. Good shot, uses his teammates well, will work the cycle effectively. He's actually a guy who will head to the net and lay an occasional big hit. When he wants to play aggressively, he's quite effective at it. Although this area of his game can be uninspired at times.

He's had a bit of an up and down season per say. At the beginning of the season, a lot of OHL followers (myself included) expected Sudbury to be much improved and challenge for a top 4 spot in the Eastern Conference. And subsequently, many expected O'Dell to be up near the top of OHL scoring. However, neither has really happened. That being said, it's the kids first full season in the OHL after coming from Tier 2 halfway through last season.

I think he's going to have a very strong year next season (as is the test for most players playing juniors 2 years after their draft year, aka their push for a contract), and I think he's got a strong shot at a spot on Team Canada for the WJC's, because he's a strong all around player.

I'll be seeing Sudbury again in a couple weeks so I'll give you a game report then too.

Old
03-05-2009, 01:36 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
I appreciate your analysis of the player! That's all very interesting, and tells me far more than what the media (local, national, or TSN) has.

I'm looking forward to your game report!

Old
03-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

I remember he was thought of as being a late 1st round pick last season, but dropped a little to the 2nd round. From everything I've gathered, the kid can flat out play, and will be at worst a pretty good 3rd line player. At best, you're looking at him developing into a top line player, or a really good 2nd line player. Either way its a really good deal for Atlanta, who essentially shipped out a player who wasn't working out for a 2nd round pick. Heck, Antropov and Moore from Toronto went for 2nd round picks...Good job by Don Waddell on this one.

Old
03-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Lux Aurumque*

I like that Waddell is focusing on our center position, and I do like that we got someone with second line potential for a player who was, most of the time, brutal in a Thrashers uniform.

What I don't like is that, after Machacek, our prospect cupboard is empty on both wings...

Old
03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
jbreiner

Lux, that I am not as worried about as you. A lot of the wingers in this league actually played center in junior. My theory about this is that the kids that play center generally fit what NHL teams are looking for more in terms of size and skillset.

Old
03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreiner View Post
Lux, that I am not as worried about as you. A lot of the wingers in this league actually played center in junior. My theory about this is that the kids that play center generally fit what NHL teams are looking for more in terms of size and skillset.
This is true. Little, a center, has turned into a very good winger. I still worry about it. We've always been weak on the right side, and having only Machacek and Paquette (Who I don't really count, cause he'll be an enforcer) in the system on that side bothers me.

Closed Thread