HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs at Capitals, March 5/09, 7pm EST, SNET-O (HD)

Old
03-05-2009, 03:15 PM
bcool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
I'd prefer the NBA method as well, in which all 14 non playoff teams are put into a lottery and given a chance at the #1 overall pick, but its not, and until it does I would prefer to be bottom 5 then just outside of the playoffs, as do many other leaf fans.
Well the methods are still pretty similar. I mean, if youre 14th last in the NBA, the chances of you getting 1st overall is like 0.000002%. I would still want to be bottom 5 if it was the NBA method.

bcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:16 PM
KapG

Quote:
I am praying we dont go to OT again, my remote can't handle another beating lol.
My door can't handle another hole in it...

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:18 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireCrayn View Post
Go Leafs Go! Shut these garbage fans up.

GERBER SHUTOUT GOGOGO
LOL, so let me get this straight, fans who do not share your viewpoint are "garbage fans ?" Give me a break dude, we are all entitled to our own opinion, and that does not make me, you or any other individual any less of a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcool View Post
haha you're probably right, but I would much rather them get their ***** handed to.
LMAO, so do I, with the leafs out of the playoffs I need to top 6 pick so I can enjoy the likes of Duchene, JT, Schenn, MSP and Kane in the playoffs lol.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:21 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Well the methods are still pretty similar. I mean, if youre 14th last in the NBA, the chances of you getting 1st overall is like 0.000002%. I would still want to be bottom 5 if it was the NBA method.
Very true, additionally the NBA drafts are not nearly as deep as the NHL draft, so its imperative that all non-playoff teams are given a chance to improve there club with a high pick, no matter how slim those odds are.

Old
03-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
I'd prefer the NBA method as well, in which all 14 non playoff teams are put into a lottery and given a chance at the #1 overall pick, but its not, and until it does I would prefer to be bottom 5 then just outside of the playoffs, as do many other leaf fans.
NBA still does not have every non-playoff team with an equal shot at the #1 pick. By equal shot I meant every non-playoff team has a 1/14 chance at picking first.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:24 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
My door can't handle another hole in it...
LMAO, I have broken countless remote controllers over the years on this team.

Old
03-05-2009, 03:26 PM
bcool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
NBA still does not have every non-playoff team with an equal shot at the #1 pick. By equal shot I meant every non-playoff team has a 1/14 chance at picking first.
I dont know about that. The whole point of the draft and the lottery is to get the weakEST teams better and more competitive, that was the original concept.

bcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:26 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Thats never going to happen, nor should it. Why would you give a team like the Ducks who on the cusp of being an elite team the same shot at an elite franchise player as the Isles who are barely NHL calibre? It is bad for the sport as a whole, hence the reason no other sport determines draft posistion by this method....

Old
03-05-2009, 03:29 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
I dont know about that. The whole point of the draft and the lottery is to get the weakEST teams better and more competitive, that was the original concept.
Exactly, its in place to stimulate competition and reduce the amount of time any one teams spends at the bottom of the league. Prolonged droughts are bad for the team, and the sport as a whole. The beauty of North American sports, not unlike soccer and cricket, is that any team can beat any other team on any given night.

Old
03-05-2009, 03:40 PM
TMLeafer
--------------------

This line up will take us to the Cup.*

*Tavares Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stralldog View Post
Burke has four call-ups and uses the first one for Ondrus? Oh, man...
I'm not sure, maybe he was called up before the deadline but was not reported behind all the trades? Just guessing.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn View Post
Ryan Hamilton? Ben Ondrus?

TAAANK!
Jeff Hamilton

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:01 PM
FBA

I agree that the NBA has a better system. One of the reasons for this is obviously that it prevents teams, and often their fans, from indulging in the dishonest and unsportsmanlike business of tanking. On this thread I've seen a few posts from tankers that actually agree with this reasoning.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but their [tankers] thought process in this ordeal is likely to be as follows:

"The NHL draft should be as in the NBA because it prevents tanking (tanking therefore is accepted by these tankers as a negative thing). The NHL draft isn't as in the NBA, - ergo I'm supporting the tank."

Like.... huh?

FBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:03 PM
ugotmybeef*

People are paying money to see this.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:14 PM
FBA

Ron Wilson said it best when he went on about how every home game will bring people to the ACC, to see their first and maybe last Leaf games of their life.

FBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Thats never going to happen, nor should it. Why would you give a team like the Ducks who on the cusp of being an elite team the same shot at an elite franchise player as the Isles who are barely NHL calibre? It is bad for the sport as a whole, hence the reason no other sport determines draft posistion by this method....
There needs to be some tweaking in there to prevent teams from gutting their lineup to the point that winning games becomes nigh impossible.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
Jeff Hamilton
Really? I thought there was a Ryan Hamilton on the Marlies anyway. Oh well.. it's not like it makes any difference, really.

TAAANK!

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:31 PM
The Big Swede

Our lineup is so pathetic

Devereaux on the 1st line

If we dont loose tonight,I really dont know what to say

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:33 PM
The Big Swede

Jeff Hamilton=Wannabe Ovechkin

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn View Post
Really? I thought there was a Ryan Hamilton on the Marlies anyway. Oh well.. it's not like it makes any difference, really.

TAAANK!
Yeah, there is. Ryan Hamilton is the 23 year old Marlies player/prospect. Jeff Hamilton is the 31 year old free agent the Leafs signed earlier today.

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:25 PM
D3ADLY

i'll be if leafs get an upset... as much as i'll be happy with Ovechkin lighting that lamp on Gerber i hope Don Cherry is as happy too

D3ADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:30 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBA View Post
I agree that the NBA has a better system. One of the reasons for this is obviously that it prevents teams, and often their fans, from indulging in the dishonest and unsportsmanlike business of tanking. On this thread I've seen a few posts from tankers that actually agree with this reasoning.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but their [tankers] thought process in this ordeal is likely to be as follows:

"The NHL draft should be as in the NBA because it prevents tanking (tanking therefore is accepted by these tankers as a negative thing). The NHL draft isn't as in the NBA, - ergo I'm supporting the tank."

Like.... huh?
What? I can only speak for myself, but the reason I like the NBA model better is because it gives more then 5 teams the chance to pick #1, not because I think teams actually tank, or that the notion behind tanking/rebuilding/drafting (whatever you wanna call it) by fans is wrong...but even for those that dont, whats wrong with wanting to exploit the current system of the NHL?

Like...huh?

Old
03-05-2009, 05:34 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
There needs to be some tweaking in there to prevent teams from gutting their lineup to the point that winning games becomes nigh impossible.
No system is fool proof, but imo the NBA system is better as it gives more teams the oppurtunity to finish with a high pick, I never understood why only the bottom 5 teams were entered into the lottery, are the 6,7,8,9, and 10 teams not bad as well?

Old
03-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsin2010 View Post
i'll be if leafs get an upset... as much as i'll be happy with Ovechkin lighting that lamp on Gerber i hope Don Cherry is as happy too
PS ..

Ovechkin is OUT tonight and will not play ..

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:36 PM
samwitch

Noo Ovechkin is out

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:36 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Ovechkin out of the lineup tonight, courtesy tsn. edit: guess I was too slow.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote