HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Who won the War of the Networks?

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Who won the War of the Networks?

Looks like things are more or less over. I watched all three major channels today.

- The Score
- TSN
- SportsNet

The Score, as usual, ran 3rd today. They only broke one trade by my count, today, though I must admit, I didn't watch them nearly as much as TSN or SportsNet.

Essentially, this was a war between TSN and SportsNet as usual. Last year, TSN had the edge.

However, this year, I think TSN really embarassed themselves, and SportsNet not only did better than them, but did much better. Let's look over things in 3 different categories:

Coverage - Sources - Personalities

Coverage

TSN's coverage was their weakest in two years since the network-deadline wars became worth fighting over. It was not until a little under 2 hours to the deadline that TSN switched off curling to the studio, and even then, TSN went to curling way too much. When they were on, they did great and their analysis of things were great. I hope TSN learns their lesson. Get 3 or 4 hours of pure deadline coverage, or be prepared to be showed up by SportsNet.

SportsNet's coverage on the other hand was great tonight. For 3 hours, they were going straight on hockey, and found ways to make things interesting.

TSN's Score: 2 / 5
SportsNet's Score: 5 / 5

Sources

This is where TSN usually does well, and tonight didn't dissapoint. Still, TSN was outdone in terms of breaking trades. I do not have the exact number, but in terms of the big trades, TSN lagged behind SportsNet all day, though they made a run for things with 20 minutes remaining to the deadline. Even still, Bob McKenzie and Peirre Maguire did a great job in getting what they knew out there.

SportsNet improved DRASTICALLY this year. Last year, TSN outdid Sportsnet in breaking trades, but this year SportsNet turned the tables. Look not further than Nick Kypreos if the SportsNet guys want to thank someone. Kypreos actually rivaled the usual unrivaled top-dog Bob McKenzie from TSN, and broke many big deals. He carried the SportsNet broadcast with his sources, though other guys pithced in. Watters, as usual, was full of hot air all night. TSN also should stop talking to Bruce Garrioch.

TSN's Score: 3/5
SportsNet's Score: 4/5

Personalities

This is very subjective mind you, but I thought TSN won out here. Bob McKenzie, Gord Miller, and Peirre McGuire on Table #1 breaking deals did a fine job, and all three guys are solid hockey men. Two former Jack Adams winners in Bobby Francis and Joel Quenneville on Table #2 were strong. James Duthie is also the best host in the biz. However, where things fell apart were Damian Cox and Steve Simmons, writers for Toronto newspapers. It gave everything a very 'Toronto-spin' on that table, and furthermore, Simmons seems more interested in shouting people down rather than actually talking hockey. Can these guys, TSN, and bring in some better guys. Dutchy was a good host there too.

SportsNet had decent group this year. Millard has sources which is a bonus for a host, and gives the show extra credibility. Kypreos gained MASSIVE credibility here, and broke too many trades to count. Gilmour was a great analyst, I must say, and I was very impressed with his job. The weak link here is Watters, who spent more time spinning useless webs of information. His sources are junk. Can him. Table #2 was excellent though, with two more good coaches in Mike Keenan and Paul Maurice. Both guys have a wealth of hockey information, and it's nice to hear their takes on things. Garrett gives things a West coast spin, but he .. well, he's John Garrett. It's a lot easier to hate him than like him I guess

TSN: 4/5
SportsNet: 3/5 (Watters drops things down an entire point)

Overall scores:

TSN : 9 out of 15
SportsNet : 12 out of 15

Good job SportsNet, you win this year.

Old
03-09-2004, 03:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
We won. You and me Mizral we should start our own network.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
03-09-2004, 03:35 PM
albathegreat*

Ill give it to Sportsnet, Tsn covered the Brier, the Score wasnt bad but I like Sportsnet..

Old
03-09-2004, 03:51 PM
trbr86

vCash: 50
Sportsnet by far.

Old
03-09-2004, 03:55 PM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Well, I am only basing this on the internet coverage (none of the channels on tV here), but Sportsnet won the digital part hands down. Way faster in reporting trades than TSN, whose tracker was incredibly slow...

Old
03-09-2004, 03:57 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
TSN should be given an extra point for bringing maggie the monkey back.

Old
03-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Stuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by think.blue
NHL on the fly had the TSN Trade Center and I found it was good. No curling on at all.

03-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

SportsNet...Kypreos has great sources, and Paul Maurice, Mike Keenan and Doug Gilmour made excellent analysts, I thought...Quenneville was solid, but Francis was a bit dull, and of course, CURLING!

Old
03-09-2004, 04:40 PM
JaykaShman

Send a message via MSN to JaykaShman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
SportsNet...Kypreos has great sources, and Paul Maurice, Mike Keenan and Doug Gilmour made excellent analysts, I thought...Quenneville was solid, but Francis was a bit dull, and of course, CURLING!
Agreed. Bill Watters is good for nothing though. Yesterday he said something along the lines of 'whoever picks up Greg DeVries shame on them! He's not worth the money he's making so GMs would be dumb to pay for him..' Then today on re-cap he said the Ottawa Senators were back on top of the Stanley Cup race because of this addition. He also said John Muckler did the best job today because of the DeVries deal. Get this guy off the air. What a dink.

Jay

Old
03-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.blue
I worked at the Bowmanville Zoo for 6 months as a Co-Op Student and belive me that Zoo is awfull, Maggie and the other Animals deserve better.

Old
03-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Steve Latin*

What about ESPN? Or Fox Sports?

... man, sometimes it sucks to live in the States.

S L

Old
03-09-2004, 05:12 PM
DownFromNJ

Anyone know how someone in the States could pick up one of the Canadian sports channels? I'm running IO Digital Cable.

Old
03-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Knucklez

I switched between all 3 today, and I must say Sportsnet was by far the best, followed by TSN, then the Score. The panel on the Score was pretty bad, and they where very slow at breaking trades.

I agree with Mizral about Kypreos, I was watching 2 channels at all times with picture-in-picture, and Kypreos broke trades faster than anybody, by far. I don't know who his sources where but they where great, as he broke the Francis and Rucinksy deals at least 5 minutes before anybody else. Also, Paul Marice was a very, very good analyst, he should do it full time. Keenan wasn't nearly as good, but still had a couple good points. And Dougy Gilmour also did a good job.

Old
03-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Bruin_Ron

I'll tell you what: i was in the university library here at Concordia (Montreal) and i had windows open gallore. When the trades really started to happen, RDS.CA had them up first. Quicker than tsn, and quicker than sportsnet...

this is just the internet because i was stuck at school, but let me just say that RDS.CA did an awesome job today

Old
03-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Red Bull

TSN and the Score talked about Leaf trades 95% of the time. Sportsnet put them both to shame.

Old
03-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

One other cool thing SportsNet had were a bunch of cool trade deadline specials. Today they had an A-to-Z of all of Mike Milbury's trades, and a review of L'affaire Lindros and how Marcel Aubut orchestrated the bidding war, and yesterday they had a review of the success of goalies who got traded at the trade deadline. I thought all three were interesting.

Old
03-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Riggins

The bad part about sportsnet was the little bar they had running across the bottom of the screen with cell phone text message comments.

Old
03-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednik20
The bad part about sportsnet was the little bar they had running across the bottom of the screen with cell phone text message comments.
That thing would have been much better if they Filttered through those and only put up Intellegent comments.

I did like the "Salo's Gone? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" one though it cracked me up.

some where just moronic Blah habs suck leafs rulllllllllllllzorz

Yes I'm a Leaf fan but that's just stupid no matter which teams you put in flames, oilers, nucks, habs, sens leafs, it doesn't matter.

The comments of saying so and so was a great deal or saying your team still needed something is fine and dandy. having fans from every team pull an alfreddson and guarentee a cup with their new players wasn't fine and dandy.

and it just seemed pretty dumb as well a Better idea might have been to read some Emails or something from Fans, maybee take some phone calls, if they wanted to have some fan interaction on the show there were lots of other things available to do, why not have a fan call in and ask questions of "is so and so available, what would it cost my team? etc." you have a Pannel of people there to DISCUSS things so why not let them do it?

Old
03-09-2004, 07:34 PM
sidewalkslam

I liked Sportsnet, and I liked the panel on Sportsnet especially Kypreos, and as usual, the same thing happened this year, I mostly watched sportsnet.

Old
03-09-2004, 10:29 PM
jamescl

sportsnet won handsdown, but for some reason, i still don't REALLY believe it until i see it on tsn...=)

Old
03-09-2004, 11:29 PM
AEKaki

Sportsnet by far.
TSN and RDS pissed me off with their curling.

Old
03-09-2004, 11:29 PM
BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednik20

what you didn't enjoy reading what Oilers girl had to say about Salo getting traded? But i agree, that was quiet irritating.

Old
03-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Superfluous U

My favourite was the guy who paid his 50 cents to say "My Cat's Breath Smells Like Cat Food". I love it.

Old
03-10-2004, 02:44 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

I thought the sportsnet bar was a nice diversion...elicited quite a few smiles.

Old
03-10-2004, 02:47 AM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Easy choice. Sportsnet. TheScore wasn't good simply because of Craig Button.

Sportsnet was the best by a long shot.

Closed Thread