HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Elliotte Friedman on Gainey

Old
03-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Zinger

vCash: 500
When Gainey made his 5 year plan, there wasnt a salary cap or a struggling economy.

Who cares if we do it in year 6 or 7 or 8....its better than 80% of the franchises out there.

Most of you *****ing habs die hards are obviously fans of the Montreal Candiens and NOT the NHL.

Learn the league that your favorite team plays in. You might not always cry and get disapointed like 8 year old school girls.

Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:25 PM
dutchy29

Well its easy to fall for this statement and believe Elliott has it all figured out, and maybe he does. But analysts were all on the Habs bandwagon at the start of the year saying we were one of the teams to beat in the east, predicted to finish first. It seems everyone has all the answers and solutions for teams that are struggling and then low and behold a team finds that missing part or momentum and everyone jumps on the wagon, its disgraceful really. Nowadays teams can bounce from worst to first or vice versa in a years time and I still don't think the Habs are a bad team, are they playing bad at times yes, but it ain't over till its over.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by visorwearinghockey View Post
And Jokinen was available for a reasonable price, and Bob didn't get him.

Therefore, Bob failed yesterday.
Yeah, and did the Yotes GM tell you what he wanted from the Habs in return? Maybe he just liked Camelleri better compared to Pleks because he wanted a center in return. It is really idiotic to make such a statement when you have no idea of what was offered and what the other GM was looking for. How many GMs got Jokinen yesterday? ONE. So 29 GMs failed? Wow, this league has so many bad GMs, its amazing.

And what about the GMs who would've needed a guy like Schneider? Jeez, they failed too.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:38 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TB3* View Post
no way

yesterdays trades may improve how 7 or 8 teams do in the playoffs. only one team will win the cup. but many teams strengthened themselves yesterday montreal was not one of them -yesterday. washington will regret not getting a goalie.

note- even gerber was 1st star of leafs-caps game
That's because the Habs did their trading a week ago in bringing in Scheider and then Metropolit. Show me how the B's or the Flyers got better than we did.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:38 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Yeah, and did the Yotes GM tell you what he wanted from the Habs in return? Maybe he just liked Camelleri better compared to Pleks because he wanted a center in return. It is really idiotic to make such a statement when you have no idea of what was offered and what the other GM was looking for.
It's also "idiotic" to make a statement like that if you don't even know who Calgary traded for Jokinen.

It was Matthew Lombardi.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:42 PM
RushDP

Quote:
I DID NOT DISLIKE GAINEY. I SAID FOR YEARS BEFORE HE EVEN CAME BACK THATS WHO THEY SHOULD GET. BUT LOOK WHAT HE HAS DONE HERE. HE NEVER MANAGED THIS WAY IN DALLAS. NEVER! HERE IT IS AS DO NOTHING AS HIS PREDECESSORS DI NOT DO EITHER.

OPEN YOUR EYES. THE PLAYERS LOOK LIKE THEY ARENT EVEN TRYING MUCH OF THE TIME. LIKE LAST 2 PERIODS LAST NIGHT.

MONTREAL DESERVES BETTER THAN THIS GARBAGE MANAGEMENT!
Geez, I didn't realize these caps were reserved for me.

My eyes are open...to your complete and utter hate. You have no reason and your posts make no sense.

I will continue to pick apart your posts until you leave.

Old
03-06-2009, 04:43 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by habaholic View Post
I'm sorry but I have a question, did the season end and I didn't hear about it? When did we get eliminated exactly?

I don't know, maybe I missed something here...
Well, if you buy Friedman's argument (the whole point of this thread)...then you're admitting that the team is not good enough. He's saying that the team was right not to acquire anyone because they are not good enough to contend.

Look at the article - "The honest truth is that with either Jokinen or Bouwmeester, the Canadiens wouldn't be good enough to win. Heck, I'd argue that adding both of them still isn't enough."

Obviously I hope the team does well in the playoffs, but if you guys support this guy's article, you're supporting his argument that Montreal isn't good enough to contend.

And the GM is responsible for that, anyway. Doesn't mean he should be fired, but it doesn't mean everything he does is right.

Old
03-06-2009, 04:51 PM
RushDP

Quote:
sorry for the caps

no i couldnt care less how much a billionaire owner has to pay a hockey player. i only want that owner who gainey is working for to try to get the best players possible that are out there to be had.

and since kovalev 5 years ago gillette/gainey have purposely done no such thing with probably one of the 2 most profitable hockey teams in the world.
There you go again with your insane ramblings and complete disregard of the salary cap. I know that in your small mind management should be able to sign whoever they want whenever they want regardless of the cap or the independent will of the player but here's a reality check for you: they actually choose where they want to play.

I know that in your tiny mind the "billionaire" Gillet is hoarding his money like a dragon in a big pile. Yeah, he and Gainey get together and discuss how they are going to drive a certain nut job crazy.

Gainey tried to get the best and it is well documented that he could not convince any of them to come. You want to blame BG because players are **** and don't want to deal with pressure? Be my guest. I'd rather play in a market where hockey matters. But it is easier for those of super low intellect to blame BG.

Old
03-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
It's also "idiotic" to make a statement like that if you don't even know who Calgary traded for Jokinen.

It was Matthew Lombardi.
It was not idiotic, it was a mental lapse, maybe all you do is post here, but I have many things I think of at the same time as posting. I do know its Lombardi, I just have a lot on my mind. Tell me, isn't Lombardi right handed, because he is, and right there could've been the difference between taking Pleks or him.

And my point still stands, but for sure you won't try to counter that, right? Isn't it idiotic to totally ignore the point of the argument, while stating something you don't even know (whether I truly knew it was Lombardi, rather than conclude on the spot that I didn't know it and it wasn't just an honest mistake?).

By the way, why didn't you add that the trade also involved Prust and a 1st pick. Wow, so are you idiotic too, because you didn't even know who else was involved in that trade???

See how easy it is to make idiotic conclusions?

The point was that we don't know what the Yotes GM wanted. We don't know whether he did or did not care for one of the players on our team. Can you counter that?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 05:17 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by visorwearinghockey View Post
You don't know that.And anyways, a bunch of you were saying the same thing when we picked up Lang... just goes to show.
Mod Edit: deleted. Selling the farm at the trade deadline for a player that won't even make them a cup contender isn't the solution. If Gainey is trading for a center, it will happen in teh summer when the prices are lower. Buying at the deadline just wastes assets due to overpayment, especially when there is no rush...

Last edited by bjac: 03-07-2009 at 12:49 PM. Reason: bs
bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 09:57 AM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
It was not idiotic, it was a mental lapse, maybe all you do is post here, but I have many things I think of at the same time as posting. I do know its Lombardi, I just have a lot on my mind. Tell me, isn't Lombardi right handed, because he is, and right there could've been the difference between taking Pleks or him.

And my point still stands, but for sure you won't try to counter that, right? Isn't it idiotic to totally ignore the point of the argument, while stating something you don't even know (whether I truly knew it was Lombardi, rather than conclude on the spot that I didn't know it and it wasn't just an honest mistake?).

By the way, why didn't you add that the trade also involved Prust and a 1st pick. Wow, so are you idiotic too, because you didn't even know who else was involved in that trade???

See how easy it is to make idiotic conclusions?

The point was that we don't know what the Yotes GM wanted. We don't know whether he did or did not care for one of the players on our team. Can you counter that?
I actually agree with your post that none of us know what the Coyotes wanted. Although I also believe Gainey when he says he was not interested in Jokinen. I just found it ironic that you were using a word like "idiotic" to describe someone else's post without getting the facts right.