HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I really like Brian Burke

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2009, 01:58 PM
  #1
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
I really like Brian Burke

As a Sens fan I get crucified on the board for the praise I give to Burke. But I think he is a great GM. I heard him talk yesterday and just reconfirmed my thoughts.

- He talked about the Ducks, saying how much foresight he had to only lock up a few players long term and everyone else being UFA/RFA. He said he did this for maximum cap flexibility.

- He talked about how everyone was praising the teams who handed out long term deals and how much that would come back to haunt them.

- He talked about the cap drop in 2010/11, and how most teams screwed up with long term contracts and that he a guy who knows how to work a cap will be able to take advantage of the drop.


Like all that is true especially with how he set up the Ducks economically. I think he is the perfect GM for the post cap NHL.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:06 PM
  #2
Hockey Crazy
Registered User
 
Hockey Crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 577
vCash: 500
Yea, I am very happy with him so far. He just seems smarter than GMs have been in the past for us. Something about the way he presents himself...

In Toronto, it's important for a GM to have some balls to stand up to management/the fans/the media and do what he thinks is best. This is why Burke and the Leafs are a good match. He seems to have his own idea and he does it, despite what others want or say. I feel like guys in the past (JFJ) have tried to make everyone happy way too often and it got in the way of long term plans.

Hockey Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:08 PM
  #3
TruthDeliveryVehicle*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,429
vCash: 500
The Cup run in Anaheim was a thing of beauty. All of the GMs coming out of the lockout started using smaller, faster players to take advantage of the new rules. H e saw this and decided to make his team twice as tough as anyone else. They pushed all these new NHL teams around.

I don't know how exactly he will do it here, but the man is great a critically looking at the landscape and deciding how to take advantage of the things on the horizon.

TruthDeliveryVehicle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:15 PM
  #4
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
I don't understand why people keep giving him **** for having all those UFA's in Anaheim. At least he didn't leave them in cap hell, or anything like that. He at least had the core locked into good contracts.

Murray now can structure the team in his image, the way he wants his team to look.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:18 PM
  #5
ACC1224
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 31,231
vCash: 500
Very impressed with him so far.

ACC1224 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:25 PM
  #6
alienanton*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Leaf Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,061
vCash: 500
he's certainly a smart guy and is one of the best at managing the cap, specifically in the future.

he's got a couple of questionable tendencies i think:

1. calling out players - if anything, this should be the coach.
2. "i don't want to be the face of this team" - with the amount of interviews and press he has done thus far in his reign, this is hard to believe.

overall, i like him tho. very smart, very blunt.

alienanton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:26 PM
  #7
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,222
vCash: 500
I'll admitt I did have some doubts about Burke, but the longer he's here, the more I'm coming to appreciate what he does.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:33 PM
  #8
Volcanologist
Used Register
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cosmodrome
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,888
vCash: 500
He knows talent when he sees it. And he knows you need elite talent.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:34 PM
  #9
Snipeshow
Registered User
 
Snipeshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newmarket, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,684
vCash: 500
I like how he says he knows how to manage the cap but more than once he's had to make a dumb move to get below the cap.

McDonald for Weight
Ryan in the minors until Beachemin gets injured because of cap problems.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:37 PM
  #10
NoamHemsky
Registered User
 
NoamHemsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
As a Sens fan I get crucified on the board for the praise I give to Burke. But I think he is a great GM. I heard him talk yesterday and just reconfirmed my thoughts.

- He talked about the Ducks, saying how much foresight he had to only lock up a few players long term and everyone else being UFA/RFA. He said he did this for maximum cap flexibility.

- He talked about how everyone was praising the teams who handed out long term deals and how much that would come back to haunt them.

- He talked about the cap drop in 2010/11, and how most teams screwed up with long term contracts and that he a guy who knows how to work a cap will be able to take advantage of the drop.


Like all that is true especially with how he set up the Ducks economically. I think he is the perfect GM for the post cap NHL.
I like him, too.

I think he's great for this market.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:37 PM
  #11
DJIncognito
Registered User
 
DJIncognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 758
vCash: 500
He has cool hair. I want to dye mine white.

The Blue and White Forever!!!!

DJIncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 02:42 PM
  #12
Clip68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
- He talked about the cap drop in 2010/11, and how most teams screwed up with long term contracts and that he a guy who knows how to work a cap will be able to take advantage of the drop.

Like all that is true especially with how he set up the Ducks economically. I think he is the perfect GM for the post cap NHL.
I couldn't agree more. People flamed him with the whole Selanne, Niedermayer situation and the cap, but what people don't give him credit it for is how movable the other contracts on the team were. He was up against the cap yes, but he made sure he had the flexibilty to make moves to improve his team when his team was the most competitive.

Well done Burkie!

Clip68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:18 PM
  #13
Mike1
Registered User
 
Mike1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Mississauga,Ontario
Posts: 3,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Crazy View Post
In Toronto, it's important for a GM to have some balls to stand up to management/the fans/the media and do what he thinks is best. This is why Burke and the Leafs are a good match. He seems to have his own idea and he does it, despite what others want or say. I feel like guys in the past (JFJ) have tried to make everyone happy way too often and it got in the way of long term plans.

You hit the nail right on the head. A GM has to formulate his own plan & stick to it. Doing things to make everyone happy is a pointless exercise. No matter what you do in Toronto as GM, half the people are going to love it, the other half are going to hate it.

Mike1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:31 PM
  #14
Anthrax442
Registered User
 
Anthrax442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,328
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexintoronto View Post
He has cool hair. I want to dye mine white.

The Blue and White Forever!!!!
I like Fletch's hair more

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:43 PM
  #15
FBA
 
FBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Viseu, PT, Europe
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 500
I'm very satisfied with the guy. Actually a more accurate assessment would be somewhere between, impressed and blown away. In terms of managing the power he wields and setting the proper expectations, he's been flawless.

FBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:47 PM
  #16
AlMo
Registered User
 
AlMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Portugal
Posts: 9,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
As a Sens fan I get crucified on the board for the praise I give to Burke. But I think he is a great GM. I heard him talk yesterday and just reconfirmed my thoughts.

- He talked about the Ducks, saying how much foresight he had to only lock up a few players long term and everyone else being UFA/RFA. He said he did this for maximum cap flexibility.

- He talked about how everyone was praising the teams who handed out long term deals and how much that would come back to haunt them.

- He talked about the cap drop in 2010/11, and how most teams screwed up with long term contracts and that he a guy who knows how to work a cap will be able to take advantage of the drop.


Like all that is true especially with how he set up the Ducks economically. I think he is the perfect GM for the post cap NHL.
I have stated for a couple of years now that Burke was the man for the job. I am not saying he is the best GM out there but his personality suits the job. The Leafs needed a no-nonsense GM at this moment in time and they got the best one out there.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:50 PM
  #17
javier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,155
vCash: 500
I think the important thing is that for once it appears that the empty suits can no longer influence whats going on with the hockey operation. Its been rumored that JFJ wanted to blow this team up years ago and was overule by the higher ups. Now it could be that JFJ wants us to believe that and I think he's a dishonest to begin with but again we'll never know what really happened behind closed doors. However yesterday gave me the belief that without a doubt Burke is the one calling the shots and that gives me hope.

javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 03:53 PM
  #18
Courage*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho87 View Post
I don't understand why people keep giving him **** for having all those UFA's in Anaheim. At least he didn't leave them in cap hell, or anything like that. He at least had the core locked into good contracts.

Murray now can structure the team in his image, the way he wants his team to look.
Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne, Ryan, others...

Pronger, Whitney, Wisniewski.

Giguere/Hillier.

There's a lot of space to fill, but that's a pretty good looking core.

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:25 PM
  #19
leafscrazy
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
I like how he says he knows how to manage the cap but more than once he's had to make a dumb move to get below the cap.

McDonald for Weight
Ryan in the minors until Beachemin gets injured because of cap problems.
That might be true but i like to think of those moves like this:

1. The reason the Ducks were up against the cap was because they had too many high salary d-men (Niedermayer, Pronger and Schneider each made around 6 mil)
2. Burke had to sign Schneider for around 6 mil because Neidermayer and Selanne were both thinking of retirement. He did what he did to keep the team competitive in the case either player didn't return

leafscrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:33 PM
  #20
dybbuk
Registered User
 
dybbuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Freddy Beach
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
I like how he says he knows how to manage the cap but more than once he's had to make a dumb move to get below the cap.

McDonald for Weight
Ryan in the minors until Beachemin gets injured because of cap problems.
He had two high contracts retire. He built the team as bets he could without them. Then the two big contracts came back. put him in a bad spot, but, I don't think he should be blamed for it, what else could he do? sit on his thumbs and pray they come back? If he did that you know they wouldn't of and his team would of been worse off for it.

dybbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:35 PM
  #21
My Sweet Shadow
Registered User
 
My Sweet Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafscrazy View Post
That might be true but i like to think of those moves like this:

1. The reason the Ducks were up against the cap was because they had too many high salary d-men (Niedermayer, Pronger and Schneider each made around 6 mil)
2. Burke had to sign Schneider for around 6 mil because Neidermayer and Selanne were both thinking of retirement. He did what he did to keep the team competitive in the case either player didn't return
Exactly, Niedemayer and Selanne were busy being semi-retired(even though they may have earned it over the years) adn Burke tried to replace them by signing Bertuzzi and Schneider. Then, part way through the season, both decide to lace them up again, leaving Burke no choice but to move MacDonald and demote Ryan.


Last edited by Newfie John: 03-05-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Language
My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 05:42 PM
  #22
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,724
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienanton View Post
he's certainly a smart guy and is one of the best at managing the cap, specifically in the future.

he's got a couple of questionable tendencies i think:

1. calling out players - if anything, this should be the coach.
2. "i don't want to be the face of this team" - with the amount of interviews and press he has done thus far in his reign, this is hard to believe.

overall, i like him tho. very smart, very blunt.
I don't think some people realise how much media sources hound Burke for interviews. In all seriousness with the amount we have seen him on TV or on the radio it would probably be a 25% accepted to about 75% unaccepted in terms of shows asking to interview him. Lets not forget here he is probably the most anticipated thing in well god knows when, this guy is looked to as the saviour of this hockey team and he's getting all the attention that goes with it. So I seriously doubt he's trying to flash his name up in big neon lights with a look at me mentality. It's just the tag that comes along with being the big ticket in Toronto's major sporting world.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:41 PM
  #23
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...
 
ForzaZuffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne, Ryan, others...

Pronger, Whitney, Wisniewski.

Giguere/Hillier.

There's a lot of space to fill, but that's a pretty good looking core.
Only thing is he had nothing to do with the actual acquisitions of Whitney or Wiz, but you missed Niedermayer, who I have a man crush on haha

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 06:48 PM
  #24
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,960
vCash: 500
Cap space is gold in the next couple years. The Leafs will be in good shape to take advantage of it

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 07:51 PM
  #25
ArtRoss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Case in point when JFJ made his first move, I stopped watching hockey and the Leafs in general.

When Burke came on I immediately came back to watching the Leafs and following hockey. That's the impact Burke has on me.

He's going to do GREAT things with this club. Maybe not next year, but look to 2010 and you'll all BELEAF.

ArtRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.