HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hypocrisy of fans and nhl

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2004, 01:29 AM
Istvan

vCash: 500
Hypocrisy of fans and nhl

Scouting central often rates jr. prospects as having " a mean streak". This is considered as a positive trait and some jr. prospects are downgraded for not having "a mean streak". Posters on this and other boards have implied or directly stated that "a mean streak" is a positive attribute. SO, Todd Bertuzzi does a pretty mean thing and he is suspended and severely critisized by fans. So, do the league and fans want players with mean streaks or not?? Pretty ambigous!!

I personally think that the " mean streak" rating falls somewhere between assinine and moronic. To me it connotes dirty play rather than tough play.

just my 2 cents.

Old
03-13-2004, 01:33 AM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
My " mean streak " is rising because there is too many threads on Todd Bertuzzi.

Put this stuff in one thread.

Good point though, scouting does enjoy players that have a " mean streak "

Old
03-13-2004, 01:43 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
My " mean streak " is rising because there is too many threads on Todd Bertuzzi.

Put this stuff in one thread.

Good point though, scouting does enjoy players that have a " mean streak "
This really isn't a thread about Bertuzzi. You can pick any act of random violence for which players have been suspended to illustrate the point about hypocrisy. It's been a long standing double standard with the league and it's fans.

Old
03-13-2004, 06:46 PM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan
This really isn't a thread about Bertuzzi. You can pick any act of random violence for which players have been suspended to illustrate the point about hypocrisy. It's been a long standing double standard with the league and it's fans.
It is not totally about Bertuzzi, but it's still concern the incident and will bring discussion towards it

Old
03-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Kirk Muller

The mean streak is meant to be taken in the context of the game, and within rules and culture of hockey. Nobody except jealous fans had a problem with Bertuzzi's mean streak prior to this, but this fell way beyond a mean streak. He played the game with an edge, fought when needed, roughed up people, hit people hard, but those all fell in the context of hockey whether they are penalized or not. These types of incidents go so much further that I personally don't think there should be any confusion about it.

Note - I brought up Bertuzzi simply because its most notable right now, but fits in McSorely, Bobby Clarke etc..

Closed Thread