HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Why not try 3 offensive lines...

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2004, 01:09 PM

vCash: 500
Why not try 3 offensive lines...

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Dagenais-Ribs-Ryder
Bulis-Perreault-Sundstrom
Bégin-Dowd-Ward

I think this would be a great lineup for the playoffs, we can use Perreault's faceoff skills, and he would be surrounded with defensively aware players who can also chip in offensively...the Dowd line could be used vs. the other teams top lines..

Thoughts

Old
03-12-2004, 01:13 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Dagenais-Ribs-Ryder
Bégin-Dowd-Ward

I think this would be a great lineup for the playoffs, we can use Perreault's faceoff skills, and he would be surrounded with defensively aware players who can also chip in offensively...the Dowd line could be used vs. the other teams top lines..

Thoughts
Like it...really

Old
03-12-2004, 01:17 PM
highstickingyerface

Send a message via MSN to highstickingyerface
I like it too except you have to have Joe Juneau in the lineup.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:20 PM
habsfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstickingyerface
I like it too except you have to have Joe Juneau in the lineup.
why? dowd is an upgrade over juneau, and the begin dowd ward line looks awsome, why break them up

Old
03-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Marksman

If you honestly believe Dowd line can play 35-40 minutes per game checking both opposition scoring lines, I suppose.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Jag68Sid87

Actually, I think this is going to be an issue in the weeks ahead. The idea of three scoring lines is probably a good one, provided that the Habs place one playmaker on each of the three lines...and we all know who the three playmakers are on the team right now (Koivu, Ribeiro and Kovalev).

Kovalev is a winger that constantly needs the puck. SO, why not put the center that doesn't (Perreault) next to him. If defense is an issue, then Sundstrom would complement them well. This would allow the team to keep three other lines with obvious chemistry intact. So, it would look like this...

Bulis-Koivu-Zednik
Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder
Sundstrom-Perreault-Kovalev
Begin-Dowd-Ward

You end up with a fifth line of Langdon-Juneau-Dackell, and these three players can be placed wherever needed. I don't think the team will play Langdon in the playoffs, anyway, while I think there are now enough penalty-killers on the team (Begin, Ward, Dowd, Sundstrom, Bulis) to leave Juneau and Dackell on the sidelines.

Throw in Souray back along the blueline and Theodore in goal and you have a very tough team to beat come playoff time.

The thing about Kovalev is, they have to let him do his thing. He's a natural right wing, don't ask him to play the left side. He's awesome on the point of the power play, don't ask him to play down low. Put him on a line where he can be the distributor. That's how I would work the situation.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:27 PM
highstickingyerface

Send a message via MSN to highstickingyerface
Too early yet to know if Dowd is an upgrade on Juneau... anyways I wouldn't break the 4th line up. I'd throw Joe into the 3rd line in place of Yannic (once Yannic's little mini streak ends).

Old
03-12-2004, 01:31 PM
hockey_nut

Quote:
Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Dagenais-Ribs-Ryder
Bégin-Dowd-Ward

I'd certainly give it a shot! I like it!

Old
03-12-2004, 01:34 PM
romain_jaime

Dackel - Juneau - Sundstrom line has been shutting down the other teams scoring lines all season... Why would CJ change for the playoffs?

The only difference is the 1st, 2nd and 4th lines.

With Dowd and Kovalev coming into the mix, you're going to see people like Perrault, Dags, and Langdon sitting.

I see...

Bulis - Koivu - Zednik <--- Scoring
Ryder - Ribs - Kovalev <--- Scoring
Dackel - Juneau - Sundstrom <--- Checking Line
Begin - Dowd - Ward <--- Checking/Energy Line

Old
03-12-2004, 01:35 PM
zzoo

I totally agree to 3 offensive lines. They will have same amount of ice time.

94 - 11 - 20 They click together, so there's no point to separate them
37 - 38 - 27 Bulis was a natural center
26 - 71 - 73 Dagenais still can score some goals when playing with Ribs
22 - 34 - 17 I love this line, they work so hard

Old
03-12-2004, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
Actually, I think this is going to be an issue in the weeks ahead. The idea of three scoring lines is probably a good one, provided that the Habs place one playmaker on each of the three lines...and we all know who the three playmakers are on the team right now (Koivu, Ribeiro and Kovalev).

Kovalev is a winger that constantly needs the puck. SO, why not put the center that doesn't (Perreault) next to him. If defense is an issue, then Sundstrom would complement them well. This would allow the team to keep three other lines with obvious chemistry intact. So, it would look like this...

Bulis-Koivu-Zednik
Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder
Sundstrom-Perreault-Kovalev
Begin-Dowd-Ward

You end up with a fifth line of Langdon-Juneau-Dackell, and these three players can be placed wherever needed. I don't think the team will play Langdon in the playoffs, anyway, while I think there are now enough penalty-killers on the team (Begin, Ward, Dowd, Sundstrom, Bulis) to leave Juneau and Dackell on the sidelines.

Throw in Souray back along the blueline and Theodore in goal and you have a very tough team to beat come playoff time.

The thing about Kovalev is, they have to let him do his thing. He's a natural right wing, don't ask him to play the left side. He's awesome on the point of the power play, don't ask him to play down low. Put him on a line where he can be the distributor. That's how I would work the situation.

Sundstrom is a very good passer

Old
03-12-2004, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo
I totally agree to 3 offensive lines. They will have same amount of ice time.

94 - 11 - 20 They click together, so there's no point to separate them
37 - 38 - 27 Bulis was a natural center
26 - 71 - 73 Dagenais still can score some goals when playing with Ribs
22 - 34 - 17 I love this line, they work so hard
Where do people get this idea that Koivu-Zednik-Perreault click together, Koivu-Zednik, now that's chemistry, Perreault just picks up the scraps left by Koivu and Zednik's hard work...if you look at last night, Zednik did all the work on Perreault's goal, not taking away anything from Perreault, he was after all in the right spot and put in a nice shot, but that's not chemistry, he's useless on the wing, he can't forecheck, can't receive a pass, can't pass, can't play defense, can't skate, the few things he does do right is win faceoffs and score timely goals, so why not put him on a line wiht Bulis and Sundstrom, two players that will be able to get him the puck, I just can't stand to see a player like Perreault on Koivu's wing, it might work for a few games but it won't last, I can guarantee you that, just watch, especially against the Leafs tomorrow, he'll be off that line by the end of the game

Old
03-12-2004, 01:53 PM
Marksman

Do you people realize they've already tried running three offensive lines with this crew? Didnt work out too well.

As for Juneau., I have very hard time believing Julien will discard him. Joe plays his system, and outside few periods of back problems, hes done so effectively. He happens to be the forward with most playoffs experience too. More likely we will see two checking lines, one around Juneau and other around Dowd splitting assignments.

Old
03-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Habsaku

Hell no, we are not talented enough to do like the Red Wings or the Leafs or the Flyers. we need that shutdown line because were gonna get killed in the playoffs without a capable defensive 3rd line. We already did try 3 offensive lines last year ago and it was a complete disaster, even more errors and less defense then normally. I'm completly against it and you'll see that most stanley cup winners have a great shutdown line and a good grind line. We don't have the talent, we need two go to lines instead of three average ones.Besides, even when we stack up the talent on the top two, we still dont have enough yet.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:22 PM
Habber

No, no a thousand times no.

We do not have nearly enough talent to even attempt 3 offensive lines. In case nobody has noticed, we got this far by good team defence, so why change things up now. If we're going to have any success in the playoffs, we're going to need two checking lines which is exactly why BG brought in Dowd.

Old
03-12-2004, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
No, no a thousand times no.

We do not have nearly enough talent to even attempt 3 offensive lines. In case nobody has noticed, we got this far by good team defence, so why change things up now. If we're going to have any success in the playoffs, we're going to need two checking lines which is exactly why BG brought in Dowd.
So Juneau who can barely bend over to take a faceoff is going to center our second checking line....that's great! (sarcastic clap)

Old
03-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Brett38

I would try those lines 417 TO MTL. Seems Okay with me.

Old
03-12-2004, 03:59 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by romain_jaime
Dackel - Juneau - Sundstrom line has been shutting down the other teams scoring lines all season... Why would CJ change for the playoffs?

The only difference is the 1st, 2nd and 4th lines.

With Dowd and Kovalev coming into the mix, you're going to see people like Perrault, Dags, and Langdon sitting.

I see...

Here is someone who knows his hockey...People are u blind putting Dagenais and Perrault in the line up?

Old
03-12-2004, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
Here is someone who knows his hockey...People are u blind putting Dagenais and Perrault in the line up?
I agree with you about Perreault but Dagenais hasn't been that bad....ok, he's got limitations everyone knows this, but he can score, and he's a big body and he's shown in recent games that he's willing to play as much a physical game as he can, and for those reasons alone I would put him in the lineup

POST #400

Old
03-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny

Right, Dackell and Juneau are more valuable . Put em on the third line! You'll get results! Basically, its like putting a huge pile of **** in a barrel and picking the parts that stink the least

Old
03-12-2004, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Right, Dackell and Juneau are more valuable . Put em on the third line! You'll get results! Basically, its like putting a huge pile of **** in a barrel and picking the parts that stink the least

GOLD

Old
03-12-2004, 04:53 PM
EaGLE1

You need to be good like Colorado to be successfull doing that. You can't pack offensive talent on 3 lines (see Rangers).

Old
03-12-2004, 05:09 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Dagenais-Ribs-Ryder
Bégin-Dowd-Ward

Thoughts
I dont like a defensively challenged perreault in the middle of a "checking line." How is he going to shut down the big C in the east like Thorton, Sundin, Bonk, etc.

I really dont like Daganais on the second line either. Plus we dont really have enough talent IMO to run three offensive lines. I think Bulis has to be on the second in place of Daganais, but then where does Daganais go, on the third with perreault. I dont think so!

Here is the lines i would like to see.

Kovo, Koivu, Zed
Bulis, Ribs, Ryder
Begin, Dowd, Ward
Langdon, Juneau, Sundstrom

This is of course when everyone is health!

Note, im not trying to bash your lines, i may seem that way, but im not. I just dont agree with your lines

Old
03-12-2004, 08:06 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Dagenais-Ribs-Ryder
Bégin-Dowd-Ward

Thoughts

It looks more like a 2 1/2 offensive line to me. You just displace Perreault on a third line. Personnally, I would just sit Dagenais and keep Perreault on one of the first two lines. That's all.

Old
03-13-2004, 10:03 AM
romain_jaime

I'm telling you guys, the lines are going to look like this:

Dackel - Juneau - Sundstrum have been shutting down the leagues top lines all season. Why in hell would CJ change that when it counts most?

Closed Thread