HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Draft Lottery Idea

Old
03-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

vCash: 500
Draft Lottery Idea

I mentioned this in a thread a while back, and I thought I'd see what you all think.

Of course, the bottom teams in the league get the most lottery balls in the pick for #1 in order to draft. My idea is to reward the 9th place team in each conference with one of the high percentage balls. No, not taking away the chances from the lower teams, just adding to the 9th seed.

It gives teams something to fight for, even if they are mathematically out of it. Instead of tanking, they can fight to climb as high as possible, and be rewarded for it.

This would ward off methods like tanking, and add some extra action in the end of the season, so the down and out teams' fanbases can actually cheer for something. The team would be motivated, and the higher seeds wouldn't get easy wins playing teams with some callups who are getting playing time because the team has no shot regardless.

25.0%
18.8%
14.2%
10.7%
8.1%
6.2%
4.7%
3.6%
2.7%
2.1%
1.5%
1.1%
0.8%
0.5%

Those are the odds. I was thinking the 9th seeds could be placed somewhere within the top 4, taking a bit of percentage from other teams to gain their own.

This would help teams like Toronto and Florida. The past couple years, making late rushes, only to be disappointed. Not only did they miss the postseason, but they were out of a chance of getting the #1 draft pick. This way, if that happens, they've still got a shot at the pick, and teams are rewarded for doing well, and not just letting the season go.

Thoughts?

(Excuse any grammar errors, it's late, I'm tired)

Last edited by Zetsyuk: 03-05-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:35 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Interesting idea actually. Gotta wonder if this would really change a whole lot though. The differences in points between 8th place and 9th place are usually pretty small. Not a bad idea, depending on what their new chances become.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

I'm thinking somewhere from 10-15%.
It's late though, heading to bed before I say something way off. Ill check on the replies tomorrow.

Old
03-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Harrison Ford
HFBoards Sponsor

Nice idea, I am certainly for it, and I think it would probably be a good idea.

Harrison Ford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:50 PM
The Big Swede

The Leafs would love that

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:51 PM
PecaFan

Why does #9 deserve anything better than #10? #10 may have been trying just as hard as #9, maybe even harder, maybe they were #14 or #15 and won 12 games in a row at the end of the year to finish 1 or 2 pts short of the playoffs.

Nope, you can't screw with the percentages.

Now, that doesn't mean the draft can't be improved. They most definitely need to pick more numbers out of the bin in order to create more movement. First team out gets the #1, second drawn gets the #2, third gets the #3 and so on, instead of just slotting #2 through #14 automatically.

PecaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2009, 11:52 PM
JarkkoRuutu

I think this is a wonderful idea.

(I never thought I'd type that on this forum!)

JarkkoRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Anthony*

why does everyone overestimate the idea of tanking

Anthony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Legend Killer

What about giving the cup finalists 1 ball and the last place team 30 balls...and not cap the amount of positions one team can move up...I guess it would get ugly if the Stanley Cup Champ won the lottery...

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan View Post
Why does #9 deserve anything better than #10? #10 may have been trying just as hard as #9, maybe even harder, maybe they were #14 or #15 and won 12 games in a row at the end of the year to finish 1 or 2 pts short of the playoffs.

Nope, you can't screw with the percentages.

Now, that doesn't mean the draft can't be improved. They most definitely need to pick more numbers out of the bin in order to create more movement. First team out gets the #1, second drawn gets the #2, third gets the #3 and so on, instead of just slotting #2 through #14 automatically.
Okay... that's like saying why shouldn't the Penguins have gotten the Cup last year? They tried really really hard.

This isn't a question of effort alone. It's rewarding performance, which can be achieved by effort.

Old
03-06-2009, 03:46 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
Wow, great idea. Email the NHL...not like Gary would follow through on a suggestion to improve the game though...

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:49 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

If anything I'd say get rid of the lottery. Seriously, who cares if a team or two try and tank? They're probably the worst team(s) in the league anyways. I'd rather let a team tank that might get the first overall anyways than say, the fourth worst team.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 03:56 PM
goldglove

that would be the toronto maple leafs "stanley cup".

goldglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

I would like to see every non-playoff team have the same amount of balls in play with a draw for every position 1 through 14. It would make every team compete 'til the end with no reward for 'tanking'. Fans pay good money to see their team do everything they can to win games. I'm not convinced every team out there does try to win game 1-82.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:05 PM
MJALLTHEWAY

You'd see a lot of fishy results at the end of the year with teams hoping to drop a bit to land the 9th, I don't like it at all. Either you make every non-playoff team equal odds, or stagger it like it is now. Tanking isn't a perfect strategy anyways, it usually takes years before these teams get good (if they do), and this is their punishment for taking.

MJALLTHEWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJALLTHEWAY View Post
You'd see a lot of fishy results at the end of the year with teams hoping to drop a bit to land the 9th, I don't like it at all. Either you make every non-playoff team equal odds, or stagger it like it is now. Tanking isn't a perfect strategy anyways, it usually takes years before these teams get good (if they do), and this is their punishment for taking.

I highly, highly doubt a team would give up a playoff position (1-8) to drop to 9th...

Whether they have no shot in the playoffs or not, a team just doesn't do that. The fans, players, everyone else would be pissed.

Old
03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
mnwildfan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I would like to see every non-playoff team have the same amount of balls in play with a draw for every position 1 through 14. It would make every team compete 'til the end with no reward for 'tanking'. Fans pay good money to see their team do everything they can to win games. I'm not convinced every team out there does try to win game 1-82.
This.

mnwildfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:08 PM
MJALLTHEWAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsyuk View Post

I highly, highly doubt a team would give up a playoff position (1-8) to drop to 9th...

Whether they have no shot in the playoffs or not, a team just doesn't do that. The fans, players, everyone else would be pissed.
haha, my bad, I read it wrong... I assumed 9th overall, instead of the 9th seeds in each conference.

MJALLTHEWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
The problem with that would be the Islanders basically stuck in the bottom forever while a team like Minny could suddenly become a contender (wow imagine if they get tavares).

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJALLTHEWAY View Post
Agree 100%. If you don't make the play-off's, I'm not sure why you should be rewarded for being extra bad.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Agree 100%. If you don't make the play-off's, I'm not sure why you should be rewarded for being extra bad.
Isn't that what we do for being the bottom seed regardless?...

Old
03-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Mattias

Great idea.

Mattias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
Great idea.
id like to see Ecklund be in charge of the draft lotto .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 05:32 PM
hlundqvist30*

So then would you rather finish 8th seed or 9th? 8th seed likely garners a 1st round exit. 9th could garner a 1st overall pick.

Doesn't make sense.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
So then would you rather finish 8th seed or 9th? 8th seed likely garners a 1st round exit. 9th could garner a 1st overall pick.

Doesn't make sense.
No, any team that chooses a chance behind 3 or so other teams at the first overall pick over making the postseason doesn't make sense. I don't think an organization would be idiotic enough to give up playoffs, which financially generates revenue, but more importantly gives fans something to cheer about, watch their team possibly succeed, take a shot at the Cup, have the players play in what they've been working for all season, etc.

As I previously stated, the masses, included internals within the organization, would be pissed as all hell if they purposely dropped to 9th seed, no matter who they were playing.